Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Do the Stones still sound like the Stones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 12, 2015 16:06

I think you're misreading that quote
Critics were complaining in 1971 that the Stones "didn't sound like the Stones".
Mick's response is just what it should be. The Stones have always had broad musical horizons.
Hail Hail Rolling Stones

Re: The Rolling Stones
Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: July 12, 2015 17:47

with sssoul
"We're not THAT band anymore, anyway. We're a bunch of different bands. English reviewers seem to have this weird idea
of the Rolling Stones as being this band and we've never been THAT band, but they imagine we are.
We can do THAT band if we wanna... I don't see why we can't make a record that doesn't sound like the Rolling Stones.
We're not a brand, like HP Sauce or something."
- Mick Jagger, 1971
, quoted on [www.timeisonourside.com]

How ironic.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 12, 2015 18:14

andrewt
with sssoul
"We're not THAT band anymore, anyway. We're a bunch of different bands. English reviewers seem to have this weird idea
of the Rolling Stones as being this band and we've never been THAT band, but they imagine we are.
We can do THAT band if we wanna... I don't see why we can't make a record that doesn't sound like the Rolling Stones.
- Mick Jagger, 1971

How ironic.

Indeed. Brand, anyone?

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 12, 2015 18:17

35love
Cocaine. I think the 'bark' those years was from cocaine.
Cocaine high not tamped down. Just my opinion.

I am starry eyed when it comes to the Stones, admitted,
but they sound fantastic to me in 2015. Yes, different, but nothing in life ever stays the same. Nothing. Everything moves/shifts/evolves whether we want it to or not.

I listened to the preview of new DVD that's out Live from the Vault Hamptons 1981, Waiting on a Friend, and was stunned at the guitar playing from Keith, what a show, need to buy that one.

My first show was to be 1981, I won 2 tickets off radio sold out show, the DAY of the concert, my mother (I was under 18) said I couldn't go. I've never been the same, couldn't look at 1981 stuff too close before,

but 2015 has healed me. I think.
they are better today than when they played wasted in the 90's. I had no use for them when they had no respect for the audience. They have really done great, LSTNT yesterday sounded like perfect Stones.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: July 12, 2015 18:29

Of course they do sound like the Stones.

There was a talk of a cover band and an imitation above. I heard a lot of cover bands and covers but none of them ever sounded like the Stones.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 12, 2015 18:36

andrewt
with sssoul
- Mick Jagger, 1971

How ironic.

Yeah nice find with sssoul. This ranks up there with Mick's comment about playing Satisfaction when he's 30.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 12, 2015 18:55

Hum with 2 keyboards on stage I would say yes, but to the detriment of the guitars... Sound illusion.

Too much horns and background vocals too. But, just my taste.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-12 19:01 by powerage78.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: July 12, 2015 20:10

A lot of what long time fans have bitched about probably goes back to when the Stones reassembled for the Steel Wheels tour in 89 as their stage approach has basically stayed the same since that time. More production, more back-up musicians and vocalists (like Lisa), etc. From what I read in Bill German's Under Their Thumb, this was a Jagger business decision to bring the Stones back and have them perform their songs like the recorded versions with all the nuisances thrown in like Can't Always Get What You Want & Gimme Shelter (whereas prior to this, the Stones were a more stripped down, raw, guitar driven band). In 1989, the Stones returning to the concert stage after being on hiatus for so long was a VERY big deal, especially given (for that time period) very high ticket prices. Expectations were high. Jagger's gamble paid off given very favorable reviews from concert goers who attended those Steel Wheels shows. Unfortunately, this concert approach has stuck and has turned some long time hard-core fans off who were fond of their performances pre-1989.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 12, 2015 20:13

Sighunt
A lot of what long time fans have bitched about probably goes back to when the Stones reassembled for the Steel Wheels tour in 89 as their stage approach has basically stayed the same since that time. More production, more back-up musicians and vocalists (like Lisa), etc. From what I read in Bill German's Under Their Thumb, this was a Jagger business decision to bring the Stones back and have them perform their songs like the recorded versions with all the nuisances thrown in like Can't Always Get What You Want & Gimme Shelter (whereas prior to this, the Stones were a more stripped down, raw, guitar driven band). In 1989, the Stones returning to the concert stage after being on hiatus for so long was a VERY big deal, especially given (for that time period) very high ticket prices. Expectations were high. Jagger's gamble paid off given very favorable reviews from concert goers who attended those Steel Wheels shows. Unfortunately, this concert approach has stuck and has turned some long time hard-core fans off who were fond of their performances pre-1989.

well said. and in my opinion, it's a direct result of Jagger's humbling in the 80s. he entered the 80s as a huge star (SG, ER, TY and 81 tour successes... yes ER was a commercial success), believing he had a monumental solo career ahead of him, and near the end of 80s he needed a comeback.

as a result, he decided to play it safe. keith was just happy to have the band back together and so went along. the safe approach mainlined that most powerful drug of all - $$$$ - direct into their veins and the rest is history.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 13, 2015 09:18

They sound like the Stones 2.0 trying to emulate the Stones 1.0 with a fusion bass player on top of that!

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: July 13, 2015 09:23

I quite liked the Steel Wheels tour. Didn't know it was going to be the mold though for the next 20+ years....

Yes, they still sound like the Stones to me up to a point.the core which mattered the most..Jagger, Keith and Charlie. That was always it. No matter what great things Brian Jones, Mick Taylor or Ronnie Wood brought to them..(and great things they were)

Though I think Wyman made it really work... So 3+1 really.

But now with Chuck and Darryl...Its like the magical powder on the moth's wings is brushed away. It ain't ever going to fly quite right again.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-13 09:25 by SweetThing.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 13, 2015 10:31

I think the sound of the Stones has evolved as is normal, in the 70s had a different sound than in 60, in the 80 different from 70 and so on ... well actually today the Stones sound is closer that of 60, I like it. Nice to hear today a bit of pedal steel,guitar. ecc. the ricerva of lost sounds.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 13, 2015 16:35

Who's doing backing vox on the 1989 rehearsal Brown Sugar?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 13, 2015 16:41

LuxuryStones
A matter of taste perhaps. I enjoyed the live performances with Taylor most. Actually I went to see them in '73 because of him. After B&B I lost my appetite completely- with the exception of a few hits.

What hits? smiling smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 13, 2015 18:56

Lost the sound after 78...81 MJ voice changed and while he now articulates and sings quite clearly, never the same as the Jagger voice of old.

Date: July 13, 2015 20:08

SweetThing
I quite liked the Steel Wheels tour. Didn't know it was going to be the mold though for the next 20+ years....

Yes, they still sound like the Stones to me up to a point.the core which mattered the most..Jagger, Keith and Charlie. That was always it. No matter what great things Brian Jones, Mick Taylor or Ronnie Wood brought to them..(and great things they were)

Though I think Wyman made it really work... So 3+1 really.

But now with Chuck and Darryl...Its like the magical powder on the moth's wings is brushed away. It ain't ever going to fly quite right again.

i agree. i also liked steel wheels. it was a great concept for them getting back on their feet again. it's a shame it became the model for the next 30 years.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 13, 2015 20:47

Do the Stones still sound like the Stones ??
I tell you what they don't sound like. All the young pretenders. All the X Factor crap. All the bands 40 plus years younger than them.
They sound like the Stones and that's good enough for me. One Love..

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: July 13, 2015 20:50

Come On
LuxuryStones
A matter of taste perhaps. I enjoyed the live performances with Taylor most. Actually I went to see them in '73 because of him. After B&B I lost my appetite completely- with the exception of a few hits.

Mixed Emotions, Anybody seen my Lady (the verses) Waiting on a friend.

Date: July 13, 2015 20:55

LuxuryStones
Come On
LuxuryStones

Mixed Emotions, Anybody seen my Lady (the verses) Waiting on a friend.

oh man i thought he was talking about the one hit... to the body.... now i get it.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 13, 2015 22:51

KeithNacho
You can hear the RS sound on 1975, 1978 and 1981-82 tours

1975 especially was good for Stones sound. The rejuvenated play between Keith and Ron excited everybody on stage. Not sure what the hell happened in 1976 though.

1981-82 was just a badass guitar driven tour...great Stones year

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 13, 2015 23:15

1978 too, the last really guitars driven Tour...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 13, 2015 23:31

---

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-13 23:35 by maumau.

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: July 14, 2015 03:48

bart-man
I mean, their sound changed a lot over the years. Especially on stage. That's also got to do with the change of band members and side musicians on stage. So can we define the typical Stones sound? It's more than just an open G tuned guitar ofcourse and do we listen and love the same band we a became a fan of because we love Exile on mainstreet, Let It Bleed or Sticky Fingers for example. Or do we listen to a "new band" with a few old members in it?

Technology has changed...They still sound like the Stones...but without technology they would not sound as good...this is 75% Techno-Wizardry...

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: July 14, 2015 04:02

Great Topic.

For me without Wyman the Stones are not at their best. He and Charlie created amazing grooves. With Darryl they sound like a funk wanting to sound like the Stones - sometimes the lock it though.

The best Stones sound live is from the 1978 tour. Raw and groovin'...

We are talking about sound not playing per se. I wished they sound in 73' they way they did in 78' lol

No Bill no Stones .. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: July 14, 2015 04:29

For me, to my ears...the Stonesy sound ended with Undercover. That was cut-off point.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 14, 2015 14:43

Koen
They are the Stones, so they sound like the Stones.

I thin Koen's comment makes a good point as it demostrates how, logically, the sound of the Stones will always be dictated by the band themselves.

Of course, there's a deeper debate about how the sound has changed and what constitutes the sound of the band, but I disregard comments about the Stones sounding like a parody or a cover band.

Olly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-14 17:00 by Olly.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1667
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home