Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: ALBUM TALK: Let It Bleed
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 23, 2015 12:24

11!!!! is that your first 11 Dandelion?

Country Honk is absolutely perfect in my mind. I think it is not given the credit it deserves because people don't think about it separately from HTW. I think Country Honk might be their best country & western track.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 23, 2015 12:28

Country Honk is a gem indeed.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 23, 2015 12:31

Im not a big fan of Let It Bleed or Country Honk.
I fast forward these plus Midnight Rambler which is much better on the live albums we have.
Great Album though!!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 23, 2015 14:47

How amazing is Love In Vain -- especially some of the Mick Taylor era live versions! My personal favorite is one from '72, can't recall what show (and not in a position to check at this time) -- yes, better than brussels!

Still the album version is amazing as well but the guitar solo doesn't compare to the live versions. Stripped version, unfortunately, comes up weak.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 23, 2015 15:19

Gimmie Shelter 11/10 (their best recorded song)
Love in Vain 10/10
Country Honk 8/10
Live with Me 9/10
Let It Bleed 8/10
Midnight Rambler 9/10 (Live Get Yer Ya Ya's Out: 10/10, Brussels: 11/10)
You Got the Silver 10/10
Monkey Man 10/10
You Can't Always Get What You Want 10/10

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 23, 2015 16:47

bitusa2012
Staggering how far they'd come from Aftermath and Between the Buttons to Beggars and Bleed.

Let it Bleed opens with, to this day, the greatest ever opening track to an album. Shelter. Foreboding, dark, primal, piercing. The greatest EVER Charlie Watts drum captured on tape, just pure magnificence.

A hugely diverse album that should not be, but totally IS, unimaginably cohesive.

My favorite track though, completely unexpected when I first heard it, is Monkey Man. I just find the sound of it, from the opening beautifully melodic notes, to the end, an amazing and quantum shifting of the ground for The Stones. Beautiful AND punchy. A colossal song. The piano opening was once used by Channel 9 in Perth to open up their 6.00pm News broadcasts....

Jimmy Miller captures both the sound of The Stones and the sound of the era with such purity. He deserves huge kudos for the overall feel of this record. On vinyl, just amazingly GREAT.

No weak link, no real standouts, apart from Shelter and Monkey. Overall, a stunning, staggering swagger of a record.

absolutely agree with this assessment .. especially about Monkey Man, and Jimmy Miller..

only exception I might take is I think You Got The Silver is a real standout song, with Gimme Shelter, and Monkey Man

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 23, 2015 16:49

Gimme Shelter 10
Love In Vain 10
Country Honk 9
Live With Me 10
Let It Bleed 10
Midnight Rambler 10
You Got The Silver 10
Monkey Man 10
You Can't Always Get What You Want 10

Jiving Sister Fanny 7
Honky Tonk Women 10
I Don't Know Why 9
I'm Going Down 8
Downtown Suzie 8

The drum sound on Let It Bleed is fantastic, one of the best. Monkey Man too. That sound survive through GOATS HEAD SOUP and then changed, oddly enough, to a more muddled sound.

Instrumentation wise (and sonically, especially) Monkey Man is the killer track on the LP. Gimme Shelter is great as well, with the harmonica sounding like some kind of nautical warning along with the pummeling throb the song has as it chugs through the slog of the storm, and You Got The Silver is incredible. Live With Me has a dirty sound to it, which is perfect, and it could fit on STICKY FINGERS easily.

The beauty of LIB and SF is they're interchangeable. Sure, the time span is much longer than one album usually is but they really could be a double album. Seeing that a few other tracks were worked on for the LIB sessions it's certainly the beginning of their greatest creative peak: Shine A Light, So Divine, Sister Morphine, Loving Cup...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 23, 2015 18:30

GasLightStreet

The drum sound on Let It Bleed is fantastic, one of the best. Monkey Man too. That sound survive through GOATS HEAD SOUP and then changed, oddly enough, to a more muddled sound.

Jimmy Miller was probably responsible for that great drum sound, and likely his leaving after the GHS record was the one of the main reasons the drum sound changed. So not really that odd considering that Jimmy was a drummer and producers are often known specifically for their drum sounds.

Date: December 23, 2015 20:28

The drum sound changed drastically on GHS. Then again, Jimmy was wasted out of his mind while they made the record, according to the reports.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: December 23, 2015 21:27

Well, I hope we're not too messianic
Or a trifle too satanic
We love to play the blues !!

Gonna Crank it up right now... F'n Classic album

Date: December 24, 2015 19:18

DandelionPowderman
The drum sound changed drastically on GHS. Then again, Jimmy was wasted out of his mind while they made the record, according to the reports.

It's not that far from how it sounded on the previous 4 albums.

My point was, as I didn't point out enough, that considering the technology advancing the sound got worse, only to rebound and cut through in a new way on EMOTIONAL RESCUE and perhaps UNDERCOVER. After those two, whatever. They sound pretty good on BRIDGES.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 24, 2015 20:47

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

My point was, as I didn't point out enough, that considering the technology advancing the sound got worse, only to rebound and cut through in a new way on EMOTIONAL RESCUE and perhaps UNDERCOVER. After those two, whatever. They sound pretty good on BRIDGES.

To my ears, GHS is where the sound took a big step back in quality, and the rebound happened with Some Girls. Both the guitar and drum sounds on Some Girls are unlike anything they had done before, and very cool. But you know more about sound than I do.

Date: December 24, 2015 20:57

Turner68
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

To my ears, GHS is where the sound took a big step back in quality, and the rebound happened with Some Girls. Both the guitar and drum sounds on Some Girls are unlike anything they had done before, and very cool. But you know more about sound than I do.

You're right on about the change with SOME GIRLS. It went from fuzzy to searingly bright.

It is interesting how the sound got fuzzier with GHS (and IORR) after the brilliance of the sonicspheres of LIB-SF-EOMS.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: December 25, 2015 07:11

Gimme Shelter 100/100 (Some people swear that the version by The Sister of Mercy outshines the original but most of them are institutionalized. This song is the bullion.)
Love in Vain 7.9/10 (Good, enjoyed it in my youth but now it feels 100 years old for some reason)
Country Honk 7.2/10 (Beep Beep, and there's a fiddle in it too...would've fit better on Beggars)
Live with Me 7.6/10 (Dig the bass line, feel like I should like this song more but I don't)
Let It Bleed 8.88/10 (Always be a space in my parking lot for Kermit the Frog and this tune)
Midnight Rambler 7.7/10 (Can listen to it in its entirety maybe once a year, live only of course, but recognize the song's greatness - another 'feel I should like it more' tune)
You Got the Silver 8/10 (Love it but it couldn't save Zabriskie Point)
Monkey Man 9/10 (The David Lynch intro is masterful, Keith kills it and Jagger gets to say 'messianic' and a lot of other funny nonsense. The song actually disappoints me when he stops singing but I play it to the end because Jagger nails the monkey impersonation...I mean he does monkey better than he does the blues)
You Can't Always Get What You Want 8.75/10 (This song oozes blood -or is it cherry red soda? - which I suppose makes it a fitting end to Let It Bleed but it tends to make me a bit sleepy)

I've come to the rather shocking conclusion that this, by Stones standards, is a fairly mediocre album.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 16, 2016 23:05

Date: January 17, 2016 18:21

They should reissue it with it's pre-release original title and see if anyone notices.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: May 21, 2020 20:35

GIMME SHELTER
YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT

'nuf said

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-10-03 19:55 by schillid.

Date: May 21, 2020 22:50

LeonidP
It is truly an amazing album from start to finish ... almost.

I admit it is hard listening to Midnight Rambler after you've heard the live versions. For me, I owned Hot Rocks first, which has the great YaYa version of Midnight Rambler ... then I got Let It Bleed later and the studio version just doesn't have that power and energy. It is a bit of a letdown.

I think what you stated and others have as well regarding Midnight Rambler and Love In Vain because of YA-YA'S etc (and Country Honk) is lost in the LP's existence:

CONTEXT

The very fact that people say Midnight Rambler and Love In Vain is better live (and I do love the YA-YA'S version of Live With Me) gives some weight to Keith's idea that the songs sometimes aren't done and get better live. In other words, something that is as great as it is live, Midnight Rambler, has to be viewed as beyond incredible - but what gets me is when its very native existence is poo-pooed:

some make it sound like it should've even be on the LP.

The fact that it got written and recorded and made the album should be viewed as quite an accomplishment considering other songs they could've worked on and included that are most likely much shorter.

But whatever - it's all disposable and doesn't really matter. 'The album version sucks'. OK.

This album has some excellent examples of how they can go all over the map from awful to excellent with the live performance of Gimme Shelter; to not being able to capture the essence of something at all live (Let It Bleed), to exceeding its very existence (Midnight Rambler and Love In Vain), to doing pretty damn good renditions that resemble the album version (YCAGWYW has been all over the map but has never been bad that I've ever heard - and Monkey Man was pretty good for VOODOO but borderline excellent for LICKS).

Honky Tonk Women has been all over - at times brilliantly beyond the studio version (LOVE YOU LIVE) to really @#$%& awesome (SG LIVE IN TEXAS and HAMPTON) to downright 'why do you bother?' from 1989 onward.

They had played all the songs from STICKY FINGERS prior to the 2015 show.

LIB is one of 4 albums they've played the most songs of live (SF, of course, but tied with SOME GIRLS with all but one and BLACK AND BLUE for all but one) over the years.

8 out of 11 with TATTOO YOU and 6 out of 10 with IORR.

Posted by: caesar ()
Date: November 28, 2021 13:02

Good morning and happy Sunday! Was “Let It Bleed” released on Dec. 5th, 1969, in the UK and Europe and tomorrow 52 years ago, Nov. 29th, 1969, in the US? Today I saw a source saying November 28th. That’s why I’m wondering ????.Thank you kindly!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-11-28 13:08 by caesar.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 28, 2021 17:05

It seems that I have not done this before, so here goes:

Gimmie Shelter 10**/10
Love in Vain 10/10
Country Honk 9,5/10
Live with Me 9/10
Let It Bleed 9,5/10
Midnight Rambler 10**/10
You Got the Silver 10**/10
Monkey Man 10*/10
You Can't Always Get What You Want 10***/10

(Some songs with the indicated number of "stars" in addition.)

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 28, 2021 21:46

Ya shoulda just said they all go up to 11

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 28, 2021 21:52

Rockman
Ya shoulda just said they all go up to 11

No, not really, because there is a difference between obtaining one, two or three stars.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 29, 2021 02:37

schillid
GIMME SHELTER
YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT

'nuf said

I don't hear anything schillid..........something wrong with my audio............grinning smiley

Posted by: Ragnbert ()
Date: November 30, 2021 21:34

My favorite Stones album

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: November 30, 2021 22:27

...the black point is the "Midnight rambler "version...I don't like it since 50 years...!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 2, 2021 05:29

Midnight Rambler, studio version, is a masterpiece of menace, and time changes. There is nothing else like it. It is the Stones at their peak. That it still stands out as the only number they really jam on live is testament to its genius.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 2, 2021 06:29

24FPS
Midnight Rambler, studio version, is a masterpiece of menace, and time changes. There is nothing else like it. It is the Stones at their peak. That it still stands out as the only number they really jam on live is testament to its genius.

This a song only the stones could have written...
Some of the live versions over the years have been amazing. It’s almost always great.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: December 2, 2021 07:09

Let It Bleed and Exile On Main Street are my two favorite Stones albums.

LIB: their musically most sophisticated album
EOMS: their musically deepest album

If I am asked to choose one, though, I’ll pick LIB — which means, ultimately, it is my single most favorite Stones album.
The ethereal, haunting introduction of Gimme Shelter — and the whole album for that matter — is the clincher.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-02 19:50 by RisingStone.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: December 2, 2021 08:12

Up until this album, I was just a young kid buying 45s. The first two Stones albums I ever bought were LIB and Ya-Ya’s. I cannot begin to tell you the impact these two masterpieces had on me. LIB influenced my musical tastes like no other album. I love SF, BB, Exile, but LIB was my first real musical love. It is still my favorite Stones album.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 2, 2021 08:58

Paddy
24FPS

This a song only the stones could have written...
Some of the live versions over the years have been amazing. It’s almost always great.

Last time I saw them was 2013, probably my last. Mick Taylor on Midnight Rambler. The entire concert had been so so until then.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1630
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home