Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Track Talk: Thru And Thru
Posted by: René ()
Date: July 6, 2015 11:06

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!

Thru And Thru
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

Windmill Lane Recording Studios, Dublin, Ireland,
November 3 - December 11, 1993 and Don Was’ Private Studio &
A&M Recording Studios, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, US,
January 15 - April 23, 1994

Keith Richards - lead vocals, backing vocals, electric guitar, piano
Mick Jagger - backing vocals
Charlie Watts - drums
Darryl Jones - bass
Pierre De Beauport - acoustic guitar
Ivan Neville - backing vocals
Bernard Fowler - backing vocals

You know that we do take-away, we deliver too
Open 24 hours, babe, just waiting on a call from you, waiting on a call from you

Well, I'm in the yellow pages, you just take a look
Look me up under services, you know it's just an open book
Babe, it's just an open book, yeah, it's just an open book

Well, baby, any minute, any hour, I'm waiting on a call from you
And you know this heart is constant, babe
I'm your lover, baby, thru and thru, lover, baby, thru and thru

I only found out yesterday, I heard it on the news
What I heard really pissed me off, ‘cause now I got those @#$%& blues
Really got those awesome blues, babe I got those nothing blues

But, any minute, any hour, I'm waiting on a call from you
And you know this heart is constant, babe
I'm your lover, baby, thru and thru, your lover, baby, thru and thru

You know that we do take-away, that we deliver too
We're open 24 hours, baby, we're waiting on a call from you
Oh, waiting on a call from you
But any minute, baby, any hour, I'm waiting on a call from you
Yeah, you know this heart is constant, I'm your lover baby, thru and thru
Lover, baby, thru and thru, yeah, lover, baby, thru and thru, lover, baby, thru and thru
Yeah, look me up, yes, open 24 hours, baby, it’s under services
I’m really waiting on a call from you…

Produced by Don Was & The Glimmer Twins

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Voodoo Lounge” 2LP
(Virgin Records V 2750) UK, July 11, 1994

Re: Track Talk: Thru And Thru
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 6, 2015 12:19

Quite probably the most modern and forward looking song the Stones have created since Undercover Of The Night.

And more amazingly is that it's one of Keith's. Mick always is the one pushing for modern sounds and rhythms and yet up comes Keith with an absolutely ground-breaking slice of musique-noire.

It took me a while to get to grips with this one but boy, when it did it hit home big time.

For me it sounds like something that could be the imaginary soundtrack to an as yet unreleased David Lynch surreal film chiller with uncertainty, desperation, paranoia and a constant feeling of floating and falling creating a hallucinatory backdrop.

And should it really seem so strange that Keith has written this track? When you dissect it Thru And Thru is really an update of the blues. It's a future blues - updating the form just like Sister Morphine did 25 years earlier - with a similar nightmarish effect.

While the album version is great it's the 8.30 minute outtake on Voodoo Brew, I believe, that is the masterpiece.

It's a perfect piece of chill out, post late night come down music. And it's crying out to be used in a movie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-06 12:23 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 6, 2015 12:28

This one and Thief in the Night (and Keith's solo albums) showed that he was really onto something new and good in the 90's. On ABB there was not much proof of that anymore, but I hope he's still got it, and either on the next Stones album or on his next solo album it will come out again.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: July 6, 2015 13:48

Interesting experiment that doesn't quite work, in my opinion. Sounds like a leftover from a Winos record.

Drew

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 6, 2015 14:00

A not very convincing track located between ballad and blues, also much too long and so a little bit boring.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 6, 2015 15:24

Silver Dagger
Quite probably the most modern and forward looking song the Stones have created since Undercover Of The Night.

And more amazingly is that it's one of Keith's. Mick always is the one pushing for modern sounds and rhythms and yet up comes Keith with an absolutely ground-breaking slice of musique-noire.

It took me a while to get to grips with this one but boy, when it did it hit home big time.

For me it sounds like something that could be the imaginary soundtrack to an as yet unreleased David Lynch surreal film chiller with uncertainty, desperation, paranoia and a constant feeling of floating and falling creating a hallucinatory backdrop.

And should it really seem so strange that Keith has written this track? When you dissect it Thru And Thru is really an update of the blues. It's a future blues - updating the form just like Sister Morphine did 25 years earlier - with a similar nightmarish effect.

While the album version is great it's the 8.30 minute outtake on Voodoo Brew, I believe, that is the masterpiece.

It's a perfect piece of chill out, post late night come down music. And it's crying out to be used in a movie.

It was used in the sopranos - and will be in a movie I agree

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 6, 2015 15:34

...loved it on the Sopranos episode...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 6, 2015 15:36

Nicely put, Silver Dagger.

Someone once said they added Mean Disposition to Voodoo Lounge because if the album had closed with Thru & Thru
none of the listeners would be able to pull themselves back together and get up off the floor
where they'd been gloriously splatted by this ominous thundering masterpiece

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 6, 2015 15:41

Wonderful 'new' sound for the Stones 'ballad-ery'. Adore it.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 6, 2015 15:50

Appalling.

Mathijs

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 6, 2015 19:59

Love it! Keith's singing is great, and quite unique for a Stones track. And Charlie is great as always!

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: July 6, 2015 21:50

A great one...

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 7, 2015 00:09

One of my Keith faves. Love the vocal, the lyrics, the massive kicks from Charlie. Truly wish Keith would do this, and Slipping Way, as his set.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 7, 2015 00:12

SomeTorontoGirl
One of my Keith faves. Love the vocal, the lyrics, the massive kicks from Charlie. Truly wish Keith would do this, and Slipping Way, as his set.

He just did that one in Indy.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 7, 2015 00:14

I actually like the guitar on this one and think it shows Keith's soft soul pretty well, but it kind of devolves into something else and goes somewhere it doesn't belong...or something.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 7, 2015 00:21

from [www.timeisonourside.com] :

"(The monster drum sound) is the stairwell. It's on four or five songs on the album ...
It (was) a 4-flight stairwell, and I started off at the top, which is Moon Is Up,
and I ended up at the bottom playing You Got Me Rocking and Thru and Thru...
The studio's at the top. ...So we started off out by the door there, and then Don Smith said,
Would you go to the bottom and try it? It was a bit small down there, but it was all right.
The problem is you can't hear anything down there except drums. Such tremendous sound."
- Charlie Watts, June 1994

"(It's a s)trange little riff. And you know, the actual basis of it comes off of a Jimmy Reed blues,
a special trick that Jimmy Reed had when he would play the V chord (motions his hand like he's swiping something, then laughs).
And suddenly it just flooded back to me. Of course, it's not even a blues, but it was just that one figure on guitar.
Then I said, If I slide it down there (slides hand down an imaginary fingerboard),
it would still keep going. And I go, Ahhh...
- Keith Richards, June 1994

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 7, 2015 00:23

Love the slow build, Charlie's big BAMS, and then, just when you think it's over, it takes off in another direction. Keith gets an A+ for creativity on this one.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 7, 2015 00:43

I don't feel anything when Keith plays slow songs.........he really should do more uptempo songs with more aggression

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 7, 2015 00:46

latebloomer

D'Oh!!!!

Maybe there's hope for the next 3 shows. Keith, baby honey sweetie, show me I'm your girl...

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: July 7, 2015 00:52

Loved seeing Keith sing it 25 feet from me at the Joint club (Hard Rock Hotel) in Vegas, but thought really great his singing SLIPPING AWAY just before it.

Date: July 7, 2015 01:16

with sssoul
from [www.timeisonourside.com] :

"(The monster drum sound) is the stairwell. It's on four or five songs on the album ...
It (was) a 4-flight stairwell, and I started off at the top, which is Moon Is Up,
and I ended up at the bottom playing You Got Me Rocking and Thru and Thru...
The studio's at the top. ...So we started off out by the door there, and then Don Smith said,
Would you go to the bottom and try it? It was a bit small down there, but it was all right.
The problem is you can't hear anything down there except drums. Such tremendous sound."
- Charlie Watts, June 1994

Well, unfortunately for me that monster drum sound brings back unpleasant memories of the booming 80s drums on "Sleep Tonight" and the whole Dirty Work album.

Drew

Date: July 7, 2015 01:19

NICOS
I don't feel anything when Keith plays slow songs.........he really should do more uptempo songs with more aggression

I can certainly relate, Nicos. Where is Keith the outlaw, the rebel, the pirate in this track? It's like he's been neutered!

Drew

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: July 7, 2015 05:10

great summary, sivlerdagger.

I really can't into the BtoB Keith tracks that most seem to love, and compare Thru to, but this, from a couple of years before is great, particularly that long (more) trippy version from the boot

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: July 7, 2015 05:49

SomeTorontoGirl
latebloomer

D'Oh!!!!

Maybe there's hope for the next 3 shows. Keith, baby honey sweetie, show me I'm your girl...

Sorry to let y'all down, but, no, he didn't. I was there.

[www.non-filters.com].

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: July 7, 2015 05:53

nonfilter
SomeTorontoGirl
latebloomer

D'Oh!!!!

Sorry to let y'all down, but, no, he didn't. I was there.

[www.non-filters.com].

Wait! Was that a joke about him falling? I'm slow!

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 7, 2015 05:58

Meandering track that goes nowhere. This, Infamy, How could I Stop, You Don't Have To Mean It.......etc. Not into Keith the Crooner.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 7, 2015 06:15

Love it. Great tune.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 7, 2015 06:18

latebloomer
SomeTorontoGirl

Did what?

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 7, 2015 06:21

Last great Keith song.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: July 7, 2015 07:16

One of the two Stones songs ever praised by my ex-wife. (The other was Start Me Up which she first heard on the Apple commercial. Despite my impassioned attempts to convert her she stubbornly dismissed the Stones as overrated. I suppose I should've started her off with Tattoo You instead of Exile. Oh well. After she asked me if I knew who that band was on the Apple commercial our days were numbered.) I'm not that fond of it on those grounds alone save for about a 4-second stretch near the end when Keith has kicked it into high gear and sings 'but any minute, baby, any hour' - he is totally riding the groove. If only he could sing like that all the time...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1416
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home