Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
ALBUM TALK: Beggars Banquet
Date: July 4, 2015 01:19

BEGGARS BANQUET

Preproduction:
Early-mid February 1968: Keith Richards' home (Redlands), West Wittering, Sussex, England
February 21-Mid-March 1968: R. G. Jones Studios, Morden, Surrey, England

Recorded:

March 17-April 3, 1968: Olympic Sound Studios, London, England
May 9-23, 1968: Olympic Sound Studios, London, England
June 4-10, 1968: Olympic Sound Studios, London, England
June 24-28, 1968: Olympic Sound Studios, London, England

Overdubbed & mixed:

July 6-25, 1968: Sunset Sound Studios, Los Angeles, USA

Producer: Jimmy Miller
Chief engineers: Glyn Johns & Eddie Kramer
Released: December 1968
Original label: London Records (Polygram)

Contributing musicians:

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman, Brian Jones, Nicky Hopkins, Jimmy Miller, Dave Mason, Rocky Dijon, Rick Grech, Marianne Faithfull, Anita Pallenberg, Watts Street (L.A.) gospel choir.

Sympathy for the Devil
No Expectations
Dear Doctor
Parachute Woman
Jigsaw Puzzle
Street Fighting Man
Prodigal Son
Stray Cat Blues
Factory Girl
Salt of the Earth

What are your thoughts on this album?

Re: ALBUM TALK: Beggars Banquet
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 4, 2015 01:26

very fitting to post this on the anniversary of brian's death mr powderman.

could be their best album. i can still remember my jaw hitting the floor the first time i heard side one. i had bought the album mostly because of SFTD, SFM and Prodigal Son, but wow each track blew me away. dylan meets the blues with a twist only the stones can give it all.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 4, 2015 01:32

11 Star classic ... It don't come any better ...
Keith's swallowing massive doses of pre-war blues .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 4, 2015 01:42

Something was in the air in 1968 and nobody picked up on it any better that the Stones. Can't say enough about this one.

I wonder if they knew it was so good when they finished it? If they knew what a lasting impression it would have these so many years later? They are still enjoying the glory, compensation and rewards.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 4, 2015 01:44

To me, this is where the "Rollin' Stones" became the Stones. The cut is clear. No more Aftermath- BTB soul searching, experimental wandering. No more Satanic obsurdery...... With BB they do a 180° musically. From this point until decadence sets in, they define Rock. Both technically and aesthetically. Not my favorite Stones album, but an essential part of a 5 album roll, that in my opinion, no person or band has ever equalled.

Date: July 4, 2015 01:49

I´m not sure, Thrylan, although I agree with some.

Without the britishness of BTB and the freakishness of Satanic I don´t think Jig Saw Puzzle, Stray Cat Blues or Street Fighting Man, not even JJF would have sounded like they did on the album and the single.

Apart from that, a brilliant post.

And I know you meant the weaker pop-ish or too psychedelic songs on those to albums winking smiley

Date: July 4, 2015 01:56

No...you are spot on, completing my thought! I really dig BTB......SM is what it is......but it ALL is part of what is about to manifest..... It was a very fruitful cycle.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 4, 2015 02:28

SFM is one of the best sounding rock songs ever. It sounds harder and tougher dirtier every time I hear it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-04 02:28 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: July 4, 2015 02:29

Date: July 4, 2015 02:33

Redhotcarpet

now that's some rhythm guitar!

great post. other than the most obvious licks, i hadn't realized the importance of the piano to this track before.

Date: July 4, 2015 02:36

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 4, 2015 06:14

Probably the 3rd greatest album ever recorded.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 4, 2015 06:25

Mick about performing sticky live said doubtfully: many slow songs in it. First thing that came to my mind now thinking of beggars. at that time they had no obsession with being fast and furious on record

no expectations
jigsaw puzzle
factory girl
salt of the earth
and the prewar bluziness of parachute woman e prodigal son

sympathy is a groovy samba so in the end there's only sfm that "rocks" pardon... "rolls" smiling smiley

a lot of groove as it should be

trademark stones, imo

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 4, 2015 07:02

Naturalust
Something was in the air in 1968 and nobody picked up on it any better that the Stones. Can't say enough about this one.

I wonder if they knew it was so good when they finished it? If they knew what a lasting impression it would have these so many years later? They are still enjoying the glory, compensation and rewards.

Yes, a phenomenal record. But if you look at the band today, they really only perform one song from BEGGARS. (You could expand that to two if you also include JJF).

LET IT BLEED, on the other hand, has three 2015 "warhorses" (four if you include HTW.)

Seems like the latter record gets considerably more coverage in the band's "twilight" years.

Date: July 4, 2015 07:11

i consider SFM a warhorse.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: July 4, 2015 07:21

Turner68
i consider SFM a warhorse.

I would agree, certainly, over the life of the band. But played twice in 2015 -- is it still one?

I don't have any idea of the stats for ABB or 50 and Counting--maybe it was performed regularly then?

Date: July 4, 2015 07:48

SFM is the #13 most played stones song ever, according to this:
[www.setlist.fm]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-04 20:55 by Turner68.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 4, 2015 10:26

The resurrection of the Rolling Stones as Rhythm and Blues band after two years in the Pop exile. One of the best albums in Rock history. All time classic songs! The return of the guitars as the basic instruments. Astonishing is, that they use very often acoustic guitars. No Exspectations, Parachute Woman, Prodigal Son and Stray Cat Blues are songs which define the essence of the band. SFTD needs some more flesh on the bones, i.e. more guitars, so it reveals its high potential in the Circus and actually on Get Yer Ya Ya's first.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-04 10:54 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: HearTheWindHowl ()
Date: July 4, 2015 11:13

Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main Street belong to my favourite Stones albums. Depending on the mood I'm in, I could pick any of those five to be the best album of this band. Way back then,the Stones were very close and a real band. They worked together. They blended rock, Blues, country, folk & gospel. They had the right songs. They had visions. At any time of the day, I'd call Beggars a masterpiece. And Brian, I only mention No Expectations and probably most of you know what I mean ..... And, please, please let's not forget Jimmy Miller ........

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 4, 2015 20:16

Thrylan
To me, this is where the "Rollin' Stones" became the Stones. The cut is clear. No more Aftermath- BTB soul searching, experimental wandering. No more Satanic obsurdery...... With BB they do a 180° musically. From this point until decadence sets in, they define Rock. Both technically and aesthetically. Not my favorite Stones album, but an essential part of a 5 album roll, that in my opinion, no person or band has ever equalled.

Except for the last sub-clause I agree with this completely.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 4, 2015 21:43

Yes, this was the first of their Big Four 100% perfect albums.

Date: July 4, 2015 22:54

The 4 best albums ever by any grip:
Exile
Sticky fingers
Beggars Banquet
Let it Bleed

Date: July 5, 2015 00:01

I include Ya-Yas, to make it a big 5.....

Exile
Bleed
Ya Has
Beggars

1-5 separated by a thin blond hair.

Date: July 5, 2015 00:04

Thrylan

Exile
Bleed
Ya Has
Beggars

ya-ya's in many ways is the crowning achievement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-05 00:14 by Turner68.

Date: July 5, 2015 00:12

Thrylan

Exile
Bleed
Ya Has
Beggars

1-5 separated by a thin blond hair.[/quote

Agreed

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 5, 2015 00:34

Thrylan

Exile
Bleed
Ya Has
Beggars

In the other thread, I rate Exile as the top ... but mainly because it's so unique and a 'flawless' double album. Still, any of the top 4 could qualify as their best -- all of them are amazing. I was such a great creative time period.

Date: July 5, 2015 00:45

No matter how I shake it, Exile wins by default- it's a double, simple math!

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 5, 2015 01:23

My favorite Stones album. I also think it their most original, and the high point or peak of their career. A game changer, like 'Come on,' 'Satisfaction,' 'Aftermath,' before.

Also, Brian's last contributions as a Rolling Stone (So even that makes the album important).

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 5, 2015 01:51

Stoneage
Thrylan

Except for the last sub-clause I agree with this completely.

? eye popping smiley

Olly.

Date: July 5, 2015 02:10

Yes.... A young band, caught in a bit of an identity crisis. After being innovators early on, had become increasingly dirivative. In a 3 album span, you can call the light experimentation of AM/BTB v/s Rubber Soul/Revolver a tie, but SG Pepper smokes SM.....I think this is key. I'm sure this motivated Mick quite a bit to get back on firm footing and try to surpass the Beatles in success again. All these things were part of the 180° turn I spoke of. And yes, while I own SM, I listen to it, it's not why I'm a Stones freak. It's a subpar Stones album- and I find bits of it quite absurd.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1216
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home