Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Main Musical Genres covered by the Stones
Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: July 3, 2015 13:02

StrawberriesBlueberries
I'm really absolutely no expert with how to define musical genres, so all I can say is based on some kind of 'feeling'. Gospel seems weird to me, as well as Reggae. Country appears to be more of a genre they fully stepped into several times, so maybe yes. Rock, yes, Pop, yes, Rhythm and Blues, yes. But does't "Pop" include all of these genres anyway, even "Rock"? I think there are definitions, that count Rock as an element of Pop music.

By the way, I don't think you can use the discussion on this forum as a source to support your 'other posts'

Yes, the "Rock" section I conceive is already covered by the "Rock 'n' Roll" and "Pop" divisions.

However, frankly, I cannot make any sense of your last sentence referring to 'other posts' of mine? Sounds cryptic to me.

Date: July 3, 2015 14:56

dead.flowers
StrawberriesBlueberries
I'm really absolutely no expert with how to define musical genres, so all I can say is based on some kind of 'feeling'. Gospel seems weird to me, as well as Reggae. Country appears to be more of a genre they fully stepped into several times, so maybe yes. Rock, yes, Pop, yes, Rhythm and Blues, yes. But does't "Pop" include all of these genres anyway, even "Rock"? I think there are definitions, that count Rock as an element of Pop music.

By the way, I don't think you can use the discussion on this forum as a source to support your 'other posts'

Yes, the "Rock" section I conceive is already covered by the "Rock 'n' Roll" and "Pop" divisions.

However, frankly, I cannot make any sense of your last sentence referring to 'other posts' of mine? Sounds cryptic to me.

I'm in the mood of being a bit cryptic right now, just for fun. Sorry, if I'm wrong, but your question and the particular main genres you wanted to debate reminded me of a certain discussion on another website I recently stumbled across. I thought you might be the same poster and wanted to do some encyclopedic research here. If it doesn't tell you anything, just forget about it.

Date: July 3, 2015 15:11

StrawberriesBlueberries
I'm in the mood of being a bit cryptic right now, just for fun. Sorry, if I'm wrong, but your question and the particular main genres you wanted to debate reminded me of a certain discussion on another website I recently stumbled across. I thought you might be the same poster and wanted to do some encyclopedic research here. If it doesn't tell you anything, just forget about it.

Interesting, StrawberriesBlueberries, but sorry, that's not me, I am just here for my personal entertainment and education. The best forum that I know, btw, and the only one I am attending at all, though. But I guess the so far elaborated list of six is a quite sophisticated one. What do you think?

Rhythm and Blues,
Blues,
Rock 'n' Roll,
Pop,
Soul,
Country

Date: July 3, 2015 15:37

dead.flowers
StrawberriesBlueberries

Interesting, StrawberriesBlueberries, but sorry, that's not me, I am just here for my personal entertainment and education. The best forum that I know, btw, and the only one I am attending at all, though. But I guess the so far elaborated list of six is a quite sophisticated one. What do you think?

Rhythm and Blues,
Blues,
Rock 'n' Roll,
Pop,
Soul,
Country

As I said, I don't know, how to define these genres. I actually found it pretty confusing, whenever I looked up a definition of one or the other. They overlap and influence each other so much.

Please forgive me. I just found it interesting, that your first post in this thread lists the same proposed main genres in the same order as the post on this other website... And yes, IORR.org is a great forum.

Date: July 7, 2015 18:59

The last time ...

To bring up the original question once again. And after having considered the received input.

Would this adjusted list cover the main musical genres of our band in a proper way?

Rhythm and Blues,
Blues,
Rock 'n' Roll,
Pop,
Soul,
Country

Any consent on this by our experts or any reaction at all, please?

dead.flowers

May the good Lord shine a light on you ...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 7, 2015 19:22

dead.flowers
The last time ...

To bring up the original question once again. And after having considered the received input.

Would this adjusted list cover the main musical genres of our band in a proper way?

Rhythm and Blues,
Blues,
Rock 'n' Roll,
Pop,
Soul,
Country

Any consent on this by our experts or any reaction at all, please?

dead.flowers

May the good Lord shine a light on you ...

To make it shorter, I think you could remove "rhythm and blues" out of the list, since it is a bit quaint expression. The sense it has today is not the one that was used back in the 50's and 60's, and with which The Stones initially identified themselves with. Today "blues" covers it enough well. And "soul" (which I guess is more closer to recent meaning of R&B than electric stuff of Muddy Waters, etc.)

- Doxa

Date: July 8, 2015 11:36

Thank you very very much, Doxa, I guess you've hit it.

Blues, Rock 'n' Roll, Pop, Country

Cheers

dead.flowers

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 8, 2015 15:55

Gaaaaaa don't leave out soul again!

Blues
Soul
Rock & Roll
Pop
Country

R&B is actually the term used nowadays, isn't it? To mean something totally different
from what we mean by it. As far as I know Rhythm & Blues still has one meaning - the one we mean.

Date: July 8, 2015 16:25

I would never ever want to leave you out, dear sssoul, but on the contrary. I actually thought you were already through with this. Nice to see you now pop up again in this thread. What I learn is that it is not that easy at all to put together such a comprised list of genres. Actually, what Doxa elaborated above on Rhythm & Blues and Soul sounds quite sensible in my non-professional ears.

dead.flowers

Date: July 8, 2015 16:35

But but but if you leave out soul *and* rhythm and blues
then what are you calling numbers like Cry to Me or I Got the Blues?
Let It Loose? Fool to Cry? Even Satisfaction has a huge dose of soul in it.
You have to leave soul in, and I don't mean because of my screen name.
It's one of the major genres the Stones have played right from the get-go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-08 16:37 by with sssoul.

Date: July 8, 2015 16:45

Sssoul, you made me think it over. Actually this sounds pretty sophisticated:-

Blues
Soul
Rock & Roll
Pop
Country

Just wonder if there will be wider consent to this one.

dead.flowers

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 8, 2015 17:03

early in their career the Stones took on a sub-genre of R & B that is known regionally here in North Carolina as "Beach Music".

they did 'Under The Boardwalk', 'My Girl', "Walkin the Dog' ..

these are very danceable which is what Beach Music is all about. theres a specific dance, the 'shag'..

Date: July 8, 2015 17:13

All three are classic tunes. However that R & B Beach Music would be merely a sub section among a whole lot of musical genres the Stones have touched or covered in their career, while my question is still for a comprised summary list of their main and characteristic musical genres.

Cheers

dead.flowers

Date: July 8, 2015 17:47

dead.flowers
Sssoul, you made me think it over. Actually this sounds pretty sophisticated:-

Blues
Soul
Rock & Roll
Pop
Country

Just wonder if there will be wider consent to this one.
dead.flowers

That looks better, thanks! I miss rhythm & blues in the list
even though I understand the idea of leaving it out.
Where is it that you're seeking "wider consent"?

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 8, 2015 17:50

i think we need to add "schmaltz"
it was an important part of their 70s repertoire.

Date: July 8, 2015 18:18

"schmaltz"

You saved my day, Turner68, I laughed out loud. But, to be true, with schmaltz you got me, cause I have a weakness for that kind of stuff, also those numerous schmaltzy numbers on Mick's solo albums.

That looks better, thanks!

Yeah, sssoul, let me tell you the story. As an IP I once in a while look into certain wikipedia (wp) articles of my interest. Now, in the RS article I wanted to adjust the topic of "genres" in the relative info box. (I believe you're not familiar with the procedures in the (German) wp, i.e. any edit by an IP needs to be sanctioned by an authorized wp member.) That's where the rule sticklers showed up and turned down my edit etc., I mean, most of them people who have virtually nothing to do with The Stones, neither as being fans, musicians or whatever. They only want to play some role there and edit or reedit or undo and so on. So I started a discussion there in wp about this genre subject. And I started this thread here for my general and better education and knowledge about my favourite band, referring to the main musical styles they cover.

Anyhow, this is the résumé so far, and I like it.

Blues
Soul
Rock & Roll
Pop
Country

Cheers

dead.flowers

Date: July 8, 2015 19:33

Ah so - I kinda thought it sounded a bit wikipedish! I did some work on some of the Stones articles too, but gave up.

Date: July 8, 2015 19:53

with sssoul
Ah so - I kinda thought it sounded a bit wikipedish! I did some work on some of the Stones articles too, but gave up.

You see, I am off and on a bit active in mainly my home geography and local history, where, with the time and some help by some users, I found my way in. I don't want to be a registered user there, so as to not to waste too much time there. However, as you said, to work there on Stones articles I found it rather unpleasant, because the non-fans round there can really spoil ones efforts, as I was also told somewhere else here on Tell Me when I asked why the experts don't engage in wiki. Have gotten off topic now. Anyhow, I guess the elaborated list was worth it.

Cheers, young Miss

dead.flowers

edit: Now I see, is "ach so" you wanted to say? Very clever. Bis bald

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-08 19:55 by dead.flowers.

Date: July 8, 2015 20:02

Olly
Yes, but rap does not form one of the 'Main Musical Genres' covered by the band.

If it weren't for 'Main', psychedelia, punk and other genres would presumably have been included.

Fair point, but then what category does 'rap' 'music' fit into? Hip-Hop?

Date: July 9, 2015 18:55

There is a discussion going on on this subject in the relative German wikipedia article on The Rolling Stones.

[de.wikipedia.org]

Cheers

dead.flowers

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 9, 2015 19:13

What about funk? Would Hot Stuff, Dance and If I Was A Dancer be funk? They're funky. Shattered is rock and funk and punk. Hey Negrita is funk, not reggae. Too Much Blood is sort of funky, as is Rain Falls Down. Feel On Baby is funky. Brand New Car?

Melody is jazz, really.

Send It To Me is reggae-esque.

Let Me Go is probably as close to rockabilly as they've ever gotten.

Date: July 9, 2015 20:19

He's not trying to list every genre the Stones have gotten into. Just the main genres.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 10, 2015 05:57

with sssoul
He's not trying to list every genre the Stones have gotten into. Just the main genres.

Ohhhh. Duh.

Well hell. As Unknown Hinson sang, rock'n'roll is straight from hell.

Date: July 12, 2015 18:23

There's "POP" on the list. Which songs could particularly be rated as pop numbers?

dead.flowers

Date: July 12, 2015 19:16

Lots of the early originals, for example As Tears Go By, Tell Me, Take It or Leave It, Ride On Baby and so on
Let's Spend the Night Together and Ruby Tuesday are the splendid sort of pop
that gives pop a good name.
The Singer Not the Song. Angie. Streets of Love.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-13 11:32 by with sssoul.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1224
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home