Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 77
Re: The Rolling Stones Exhibitionism
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 27, 2016 01:19

houses that were turned into flats or bedsits usually had a payphone, in the hallway.

YEAH!!! ...that's more than likely a strong possibility ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 29, 2016 20:07

latebloomer
Thanks so much Christiano, that video says it all...watched it twice and I'm still smiling. So lovely to see them together like that. smiling smiley
its called acting

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: April 30, 2016 00:15

Redhotcarpet
latebloomer
Thanks so much Christiano, that video says it all...watched it twice and I'm still smiling. So lovely to see them together like that. smiling smiley
its called acting
don't ruin it for us mate

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 30, 2016 00:33

alieb
Redhotcarpet
latebloomer
its called acting

Yes, please.

It doesn't look like acting to me.

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: April 30, 2016 13:20

I can't get enough of it. See more details every time I watch. It's a pity I can't hear/understand every word they say. Must be under titled. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

(Always took candy from strangers)

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 30, 2016 14:31

Cristiano Radtke
alieb
Redhotcarpet
latebloomer
its called acting

Yes, please.

It doesn't look like acting to me.

Great video, and why don't they record a song called "Manna from Heaven". smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-30 14:32 by Maindefender.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 30, 2016 15:32

Deltics

A phone in Edith Grove?
Hmmmmmm.

Interesting.

It's well documented that one of many things that Stu brought to the band was use of his office phone.

It's also well documented that Brian had to pick a name pretty much on the spur of the moment. (I think that previous versions describe it as being needed when they got a booking, not when they were placing an advert - but that's splitting hairs).

I'd never previously given a thought to how you deal with phones and their scarcity in rented premises in 1962.

I reckon that a phone box in the hallway is very plausible - as a student in 1966 we had a phone box in our hallway.

But, how you reconcile talking on the phone in a hallway with looking at an album cover that was lying around defies me!

If PHELGE is around, perhaps he can remember - after all he did live there as well.

(If nothing else, this video shows how much patience Mick must have to deal with essentially an incoherent Keith. Most books record that Keith & Brian shared a room, as did Mick and Phelge.)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 30, 2016 15:41

Deltics and VideoJames have pointed out in the So Fun Video thread that the band had been named before they moved in to Edith Grove, so whatever happened, it happened somewhere else, which perhaps did have a phone within seeing distance of the album pile. Mick & Keith have the right incident but the wrong location.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-30 15:43 by Green Lady.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: April 30, 2016 15:41

CaptainCorella

Interesting.

It's well documented that one of many things that Stu brought to the band was use of his office phone.

It's also well documented that Brian had to pick a name pretty much on the spur of the moment. (I think that previous versions describe it as being needed when they got a booking, not when they were placing an advert - but that's splitting hairs).

I'd never previously given a thought to how you deal with phones and their scarcity in rented premises in 1962.

I reckon that a phone box in the hallway is very plausible - as a student in 1966 we had a phone box in our hallway.

But, how you reconcile talking on the phone in a hallway with looking at an album cover that was lying around defies me!

If PHELGE is around, perhaps he can remember - after all he did live there as well.

(If nothing else, this video shows how much patience Mick must have to deal with essentially an incoherent Keith. Most books record that Keith & Brian shared a room, as did Mick and Phelge.)

VideoJames (James Karnbach) gave his thoughts here: [www.iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: May 2, 2016 07:23

In conversation with Gered Mankowitz FRPS

As Exhibitionism rolls into town, we discuss snapping The Stones and Hendrix with the legendary photographer

27th April 2016

Have you been directly involved in Exhibitionism?

I have up to a point. I’ve got just over a dozen images in the show. But [The Stones] have been very distant in involving me and other outside creatives. It has been controlled very tightly by a sort of conglomerate of creators and producers. We haven’t really been consulted – we’ve just been instructed to co-operate! But really, that’s not quite fair. I don’t mean to make it sound quite so dictatorial. What I mean is that there’s a distance between me and them, and I’ve been very happy to work with them. It wasn’t until I went to the opening that I actually saw how the work was going to be used, so that came both as a sort of thrill and a surprise.

In what way did you find it ‘thrilling’ or ‘surprising’?

It was a thrill because I really had no idea how I would be represented in the story as portrayed in Exhibitionism. So I was thrilled that I was presented in the way that I was. I was pleased to have been acknowledged and recognised and credited – I was really pleased about that. And I thought that Exhibitionism was a great thing. I really enjoyed it. People have said that they didn’t think that the memorabilia aspects of it were as good as Bowie at the V&A, but I thought that the design, the sound, the different rooms… I really enjoyed it, and I’m going back again to have a somewhat more leisurely look. I thought it was a great event.

More here: [sidestory.co]

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: May 2, 2016 10:12

The one big problem I have with Keith´s story that they called from Edith Grove, is that they did not move in to the flat before August 1962 if I´m not mistanken. It´s thus impossible that they got the name "The Rolling Stones" on the carpet in Edith Grove 102 before the 12th of July 1962. I might be wrong about this, but I have read several places that they didn't move in before August. Brian Jones definitely did not live in Edith Grove at the time, that´s for sure, because his letter to DISC confirms that he was currently staying at Powis Square.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 2, 2016 10:23

The whole article is worth reading - I had never realised before that Mankowitz was several years younger than the Stones.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 2, 2016 15:03

[www.facebook.com] - Charlie mixing names, "true Keith" to Ronnie - "you know exactly what you are saying" and then laughs his heart out

Posted by: eismann ()
Date: May 3, 2016 19:23

Planning to see Exhibitionism this weekend. Anybody interested in two spare VIP tickets at face value?

the greatest rock and roll band in the world - definitely

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 3, 2016 20:21

Anyone going tomorrow?

I'm gonna be there late morning /early afternoon sometime.

My first visit and will make sure I make the most of it.

Off to see Sunny Afternoon, near Leicester Square / Piccadilly in the evening.

Weather should be sunshine, so will be a great day I'm sure. winking smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 4, 2016 09:51

Rockman
houses that were turned into flats or bedsits usually had a payphone, in the hallway.

YEAH!!! ...that's more than likely a strong possibility ....

Well ... Bill and (if memory serves) talk about Brian using a payphone on the street for Band Business,
and of course Stu's work phone was their main contact number for incoming. So I really doubt they had one at 102.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 4, 2016 22:04

Funny fact. On my credit card statement the charge for my vip tickets is to Stones Exhibitionism Dummy Gb. Some would say very ironic.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 5, 2016 12:57

I entered at 10:30am, the receipt of my giftshop purchases says I paid at 2:47pm.
I definitely took everything out of my £25 entry ticket.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: May 5, 2016 15:13

Could it be that Brian called from one of his girlfriends' home? I think, at least, the Lawrences were quite well off so they had a phone.

Date: May 8, 2016 20:07

A couple of night time pictures, free of people........

Posted by: karimamilena ()
Date: May 11, 2016 15:55

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing!

Tomorrow I will be finally flying to London and on Friday 13th I will go to see the exhibition. Really excited!!!

The David Bowie is.. exhibition which I saw in Berlin has set the bar quite high, so it will be interesting what I will get to see and hear on Friday. Our time slot is at 11.30am, hope that will be sufficient for seing all.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: May 11, 2016 22:18

Agreed that David Bowie IS was most excellent (I saw it in London and Chicago) and one wonders if Mick ever went, and perhaps copped an idea or two. While they have said they've had the idea for several years - and Mick did go to an Abba Exhibit when they played Stockholm.
I'm heading to London and just bought an Exhibitionism ticket to Fri. July 1 in the morning. Looking forward to it!

Date: May 12, 2016 01:51

DEmerson
Agreed that David Bowie IS was most excellent (I saw it in London and Chicago) and one wonders if Mick ever went, and perhaps copped an idea or two. While they have said they've had the idea for several years - and Mick did go to an Abba Exhibit when they played Stockholm.
I'm heading to London and just bought an Exhibitionism ticket to Fri. July 1 in the morning. Looking forward to it!

he's said in several interviews that he regrets never having gone to the David Bowie exhibit, although i'm sure he did read about it and whatnot

Having been to both exhibitions, i liked them both for different reasons, but obviously since i have more of an affinity to the Stones i prefer this one.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 12, 2016 14:26

alieb
DEmerson

he's said in several interviews that he regrets never having gone to the David Bowie exhibit, although i'm sure he did read about it and whatnot

Having been to both exhibitions, i liked them both for different reasons, but obviously since i have more of an affinity to the Stones i prefer this one.

Still time for Mick to attend the Bowie event.
I believe it will continue its 'world tour' till at least 2017 (Tokyo scheduled).

Date: May 12, 2016 17:06

Went to Exhibitionism yesterday for the first time and loved it.
Spent just over two hours there which was quite adequate for me, as I'm not a collector of Stones stuff, but can understand why some fans could spend many hours there.
As I thought, Monday to Thursday is no problem buying your tickets at box office, going in straight away, and plenty of room inside.
Had my Brasil Stones football shirt on and lots of fans were interested about South American Tour.
Even the security/ticket checking guys came from Brasil ,and were interested in the places I saw The Rolling Stones in their country.

Date: May 12, 2016 19:13

Today I received a postcard from a friend of mine who went to the exhibition and I thought it would be nice to share here.

Date: May 12, 2016 21:33

Yes! I'm not doing a spoiler at all, but that was one of quite a few setlists Ronnie had done, that were on display.
Also a short video of him writing it down.
So much to see at Exhibitionism, and Matt Lee is easily the biggest contributer I reckon, along with a guy called Ali, and the Stones themselves. smileys with beer

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: May 13, 2016 14:47

crawdaddy
Yes! I'm not doing a spoiler at all, but that was one of quite a few setlists Ronnie had done, that were on display.
Also a short video of him writing it down.
So much to see at Exhibitionism, and Matt Lee is easily the biggest contributer I reckon, along with a guy called Ali, and the Stones themselves. smileys with beer

I think Keith once employed a servant called Ali Mohammed! You never know.

Date: May 15, 2016 22:58

This is really cute, they surprised a fan at the exhibition http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/video-news/video-rolling-stones-fan-meets-his-idols-at-exhibition-34714523.html

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-15 22:59 by alieb.

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: May 15, 2016 23:44

Many thanks for sharing - going on Friday (for the first time) - looking forward to meeting the band!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 77

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1154
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home