Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4445464748495051525354...LastNext
Current Page: 49 of 77
Re: The Rolling Stones Exhibitionism
Posted by: henrik87 ()
Date: March 14, 2017 20:24

I haven't seen the Hall of Fame exhibition in 2013 but I really enjoyed Exhibitionism last spring in London.

The only things I was missing was more tour stuff like passes, itineraries and stuff like that.

Posted by: MusicBoy ()
Date: March 17, 2017 00:25

Enjoyed seeing this in NYC. It took about 2 hours without not much of a crowd.

Overall it seemed a bit slapped together - more of a wide, quick taster about the band over the years that left out or barely touched key parts of their story.

Perhaps this exhibit was designed to only mainly use what is in their own archives, rather than be what could be collaboratively put together with others, which would have meant more time, effort and cost.

Two key parts missing to me were, one, there is very, very little mention of Mick Taylor...and second, there is not a complete mention of even just their key albums and their music - a missed opportunity to say, include a timeline, show the album covers and highlight key songs and the stories behind them.

Seatrch online for Groupon.com discounted tickets!

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: March 17, 2017 00:38

One distraction for me was the "bleed" of the audio from various videos into different sections of the exhibit. A tribute to Andrew Oldham, Jimmy Miller, Glynn and Andy Johns, etc. would have been cool. I'd have preferred a Nelcotte recreation over the Edith Grove "pigsty".

Posted by: bam ()
Date: April 7, 2017 01:42

[www.chicagotribune.com]

The Chicago press rollout features separate phone interviews last week with Mick in London and Keith in Connecticut.

Chicago Exhibitionism Opening
Posted by: fzv98d ()
Date: April 10, 2017 16:57

Chicago Exhibitionism opens on April 15th. Any rumors about band members coming to town for the opening? Thanks.

Re: Chicago Exhibitionism Opening
Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: April 10, 2017 17:07

fzv98d
Chicago Exhibitionism opens on April 15th. Any rumors about band members coming to town for the opening? Thanks.

I heard that they were contractually bound for London and NY but not so for other cities. They may not show.

Re: Chicago Exhibitionism Opening
Date: April 10, 2017 17:56

I posted a link to Sunday's Tribune article in the main Exhibitionism thread. It contained separate phone interviews with Mick from London and Keith from Ct. No mention of coming to town.
[www.chicagotribune.com]

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 13, 2017 00:19

This was in the Chicago Tribune piece:

'Keith Richards: I gave [the design team and curators] the keys to the warehouse and said, “See what you can find.” We gave them the tour through those vast warehouses and let ’em pick what they wanted. I found a lot of stuff I thought I’d lost. [Laughs] I found it in the exhibition, actually. There’s a pair of boots of mine. I don’t know how they got in the exhibition!'

The keys to the warehouse? Matt Lee's house? ;-). Mick says he has all his clothes. I don't want any of those displayed at Exibitionism I want a simple leather coat of Mick's c'mon......

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 13, 2017 02:21

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards chat Chicago blues, ‘Exhibitionism’

The Rolling Stones perform during Desert Trip at the Empire Polo Field on October 14, 2016 in Indio, California. |Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images

[chicago.suntimes.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 13, 2017 03:55

'Exhibitionism' at Chicago's Navy Pier takes a look at the history, impact of Rolling Stones

(...)

"One of only four scheduled North American appearances, Chicago made a lot of sense as a temporary home for "Exhibitionism" given the city's long-standing relationship with the band."

[www.dailyherald.com]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 13, 2017 04:13

^^^^^ Here's why I no longer bother with media write-ups [magazines or newspapers] on the Stones or any other sixties-related artists:

<<In "Exhibitionism," fans will experience nine unique rooms, one of which features a new rendering of the pre-fame, Edith Grove dwelling in Chelsea, London, shared by Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and original bassist Brian Jones in 1962.>>

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: April 13, 2017 21:06

Cristiano Radtke
'Exhibitionism' at Chicago's Navy Pier takes a look at the history, impact of Rolling Stones

(...)

"One of only four scheduled North American appearances, Chicago made a lot of sense as a temporary home for "Exhibitionism" given the city's long-standing relationship with the band."

[www.dailyherald.com]

So what are the other 2 stops?

LA and ?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 13, 2017 21:22

snorton
Cristiano Radtke

(...)

[www.dailyherald.com]

Sacramento I hope!

LA and ?

Date: April 13, 2017 21:23

snorton
Cristiano Radtke

(...)

[www.dailyherald.com]

LA and ?

Just guessing: Toronto.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 13, 2017 22:45

35love

LA and ?

My guess: Dallas.

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: April 14, 2017 17:46

35love
snorton
Cristiano Radtke

(...)

[www.dailyherald.com]

Sacramento I hope!

LA and ?

Does this mean you are located in Sacramento?
if so, so am I

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: April 15, 2017 05:57

I am looking forward to seeing Exhibitosim in Chicago and will do so in May. At least one local paper is giving a very negative review saying it's not Bowie Is. that it misses personal info regarding the Stones when they are not being the Stones. Also that Jones, Taylor and Hopkins are skipped over.

[www.chicagobusiness.com]

The new Rolling Stones exhibit is no 'Bowie Is'

By: MARK GUARINO
Exhibitionism may imply naked danger, but a show about the Rolling Stones of the same name feels far too buttoned up.

"The Rolling Stones Exhibitionism" is the latest globe-trotting museum spectacle that makes its way to Chicago tomorrow, where it opens on Navy Pier, having started in London and traveled to New York.

The subject, the world's greatest rock-and-roll band, still touring more than 50 years after its first single in 1963, would suggest a deep vault of material for both obsessives and curiosity-seekers to pore over, the culmination of which might unlock answers to the band's endurance as pop totems long before Beyonce was born.

Not so. Despite the band's juicy tongue logo flickering everywhere the eye can see, this exhibit is flavorless. Which is a surprise for a band all about the strut of its beat. There is a gallery of stage costumes and a room of guitars, and another room of album covers that you already own and are familiar with. What this vanishing act of an exhibition doesn't have is the Stones themselves. Who these people were before they were the cliches? At Navy Pier, room is made only for the cliches.

The elephant in that room is "David Bowie Is," the triumphant exposition that opened in late 2014 at the Museum of Contemporary Art. Every square foot of that space told Bowie's journey from David Jones to Ziggy Stardust to the Thin White Duke through source materials, interviews, personal mementos, videos and other rare bric-a-brac untouched until now. In other words, you watched the artist's evolution transform each room you entered, which deepened the appreciation of Bowie, even for those who knew him just through the hits.

"Exhibitionism" is uninterested in storytelling. In fact, one gets the sense that curator Ileen Gallagher was under strict orders to keep things extra light. Which is why the show feels more like a glorified stroll through a Hard Rock Cafe during Sunday brunch than any serious probe into the band itself.

Nothing on the wall or floor goes deep into the biographies of the band members, the context of postwar England, or even touches upon Brian Jones, the enigmatic Stone who founded the band and whose death in 1969 has loomed over it ever since. Guitarist Mick Taylor also is absent, as are associates Andrew Loog Oldham, Marianne Faithfull, Gram Parsons and Nicky Hopkins, among others. Even Chicagoan Darryl Jones, who has dutifully served as the band's bassist since 1993, is relegated to a quickie video montage right before you exit to the gift shop.

The debauchery, the drug arrests, the life-or-death struggles to churn out masterworks like "Exile on Main Street" and "Sticky Fingers," the songwriting alchemy between singer Mick Jagger and guitarist Keith Richards, a breakdown of their musical periods, from Chicago blues to psychedelic to disco to MTV, don't make the cut either. Instead, here are walls occupied by old handbills and posters, a collection of Jagger's harmonicas, a 1965 Ludwig drum kit played by Charlie Watts. You get the picture. A small hand diary kept by Richards is a recreation. The most interesting component of "Exhibitionism" are early sketches of those iconic album covers by artists ranging from photographer Robert Frank to Andy Warhol. They are in a room that also prominently features a "Bridges to Babylon" CD under glass.

"A mind-blowing 3D concert experience" that ends the show was not available to media during the press preview earlier this week.

The "wow" of "Exhibitionism" are immersive showpieces starting with a recreated flat the band shared in London's Chelsea neighborhood in 1962, one year before they became stars. The audio tour reminds listeners the flat is not based on photographs but "vivid recollections." But when it comes to a sinkful of artfully placed dirty dishes and a chaotic living room, does it even matter? Musicians, especially those hungry to make it, aren't exactly known for their cleanliness, so dirty dishes are dirty dishes. The same is true of the recreated backstage area—complete with makeup table and hammock for the roadies—as well as a recording studio that, the show notes, is not based on any studio in the band's history.

So what, then, is the point? Fans wanting to actually step inside a studio the Stones actually spent time in can now travel to Muscle Shoals, Ala., where that city's famed studio namesake was restored and opened earlier this year. There they can stand in the exact spot where Jagger sang "Brown Sugar" and "Wild Horses." Its counterpart at "Exhibitionism?" A roomful of vintage instruments and your imagination. (Pro tip: You can also have the same experience for free by standing inside your local guitar shop.)

Now would be the natural point in the review to tell fans they can also hop a cab from Navy Pier and visit Chess Studios on South Michigan Avenue, another hallowed Stones site where the band recorded during their first trip to America. Sadly, Chess is mostly shuttered to the public. So for now, all Chicagoans have is "Exhibitionism" to get their Stones fix. It's going to be a mild high.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: April 15, 2017 19:31

...and it's open in Chicago.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 16, 2017 11:00

mattleeuk
...and it's open in Chicago.

Enjoy

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: April 16, 2017 14:29

[chicago.eater.com]

Rolling stones donuts, it could only be in America, couldn't see anyone selling these in England

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 16, 2017 15:58

pgarof
[chicago.eater.com]

Rolling stones donuts, it could only be in America, couldn't see anyone selling these in England

Haha! Just posted this in Rockman's thread.

I had some authentic English cake once....I'll take a good ole American donut, thank you very much. grinning smiley

Date: April 16, 2017 17:04

They're advertising pretty heavily on Chicago television.
Perhaps ticket sales are disappointing so far?
Did they advertise heavily in NY? London?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-16 17:04 by bam.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 16, 2017 17:31

bam

I didn't see much advertising in NY myself but there were a lot of promotional discounts. I ended up going for $20.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: April 17, 2017 02:25

At the end of the day, if you are a stones fan and it's in your back door, you have to go.
Me personally was in heaven on the two occasions I went.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: April 17, 2017 03:30

We're going end of April. vip passes

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: April 17, 2017 05:58

I go in May.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 18, 2017 04:01

Can you still buy the exhibitionism book anywhere apart from the venue? Used to be listed on site but no more. Finally want one. Soft cover version. Tks

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-18 04:02 by bitusa2012.

Date: April 18, 2017 04:24

bitusa2012
Can you still buy the exhibitionism book anywhere apart from the venue? Used to be listed on site but no more. Finally want one. Soft cover version. Tks

Here you got: [stonesexhibitionismshop.com]

It looks like you can only order from UK, though: [exhibitionism.shop.bravadousa.com]

Posted by: Amyl Nitrate ()
Date: April 18, 2017 05:05

bam

I saw several cabs with Exhibitionism billboards while visiting Chicago last week. (Unfortunately, I had to leave early Saturday before it opened and live too far away (NC) to go back.)

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: April 18, 2017 10:35

2120Joe
I am looking forward to seeing Exhibitosim in Chicago and will do so in May. At least one local paper is giving a very negative review saying it's not Bowie Is. that it misses personal info regarding the Stones when they are not being the Stones. Also that Jones, Taylor and Hopkins are skipped over.

I completely agree that it is nowhere near as involving and personal as the Bowie exhibition. Taylor is ignored at his own request if we remember his complaints when it first opened in London while Bill and Brian definitely get a fair crack of the whip. I think it is definitely worth going to for a Stones fan as long as you don't expect another David Bowie Is.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4445464748495051525354...LastNext
Current Page: 49 of 77

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1821
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home