Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 77
Re: About Exhiibitionism
Date: July 5, 2016 13:39

DEmerson
Following up on my comment on the Taschen book I saw in London, take a look at Taschen.com and search for the Rolling Stones. You will see the book I mentioned. It's $6,000 US (1,750 copies) and art print editions are $10k (75 of those - a few versions, some sold out and some go up to $20,000!). Poke around and you will see a 2 minute video about its making. Feeling rich? There was a Bowie book by this company that famed rock photographer Mick Rock did recently - some of which were signed by him and Bowie for about $4,000 (now long sold out)- what a bargain! I have an unsigned version of that Bowie book (about $50) and it IS nice. Seems like Taschen signed editions make the super nice, very high quality Genesis books look like a steal!

There is a Taschen shop in Duke of York's Square opposite the entrance to the Saatchi Gallery where you can buy (or at least take a look at) the supersize edition. If you do buy it, you will also need a reinforced coffee table to put it on!

Re: About Exhiibitionism
Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: July 5, 2016 17:18

Yes - the Taschen book is Massive! I asked if it was part of Exhibitionism, and the woman said no, it's a (nice) coincidence. Although it is a BIG price tag (again - $6,000 US), there appear to be only a few dozen left of that edition. For the Stones fans with deep pockets (not I), it's worth checking out! Looks really beautiful.

Re: The Rolling Stones Exhibitionism
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 6, 2016 23:43

Had a birthday surprise yesterday (5 July). My wife arranged it all. Three and a half hours looking round then drink and meal at the place next door. Fantastic.
Loved the recording studio and the chance to mix. Also little gems like the first recording contract and Keith's diaries.
My wife is not a Stones fan but lived the Costumes section, particularly Mick's frocks.
Andrew Loog Oldham barely gets a mention...obviously still not forgiven.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 7, 2016 01:15

jlowe
Had a birthday surprise yesterday (5 July). My wife arranged it all. Three and a half hours looking round then drink and meal at the place next door. Fantastic.
Loved the recording studio and the chance to mix. Also little gems like the first recording contract and Keith's diaries.
My wife is not a Stones fan but lived the Costumes section, particularly Mick's frocks.
Andrew Loog Oldham barely gets a mention...obviously still not forgiven.

Nice one.

We had a meal also afterwards at the same place.

We are going back a week Saturday.

Posted by: JohnnySnapps ()
Date: July 12, 2016 00:49

Just got back from my trip to the UK. Exhibitionism was excellent! Just a few of the highlights for me:
Seeing the original IBC recordings acetate and the Crawdaddy Tapes
Keith's diary (wish they had more pages from that on display!)
Bill's Vox amp (Legendary!)
Jagger's Hummingbird acoustic
All the other guitars
All the posters (wow, mattleeuk, you've got one hell of a collection!)
Mixing the songs (great hearing Jagger's rough take vocals in the background!)
The video of Charlie doingthe Ya-Yas photo shoot
The tape recorder and Charlie's toy drum kit used on Street Fighting Man

Loved it, loved it. loved it!

Date: July 14, 2016 12:40

Off again on saturday and so looking forward to it.

Only there for the saturday this time and taking our nephew.

anybody reccomend any decent watering/eating holes either around sloane square or Marylebone train station.

I have tried the place next to the gallery, which is nice, but would like to try something different.

Posted by: UnpurePurist ()
Date: July 14, 2016 18:25

Promoman2
I was assured the guitars in the rack are the real deal. I could not believe it but the 72 custom had the switch replaced in the right location and the lower E string and bridge were removed. So either they are the real deal or the conservator has a great eye for detail.

I was trying to figure this out myself. I can't really believe they would have left the real things out in the open.

Here's a pic I took of "Keith's" Les Paul Jr. TV- I don't think the wear is quite right, when looking at the real thing:

Still, awesome show!

Posted by: Stonesfan62 ()
Date: July 14, 2016 22:22

There is an old fashioned pub called the Antelope tucked away 5 minutes walk from sloane square. Did not eat there but nice little pubsmiling smiley)

Date: July 14, 2016 22:31

Stonesfan62
There is an old fashioned pub called the Antelope tucked away 5 minutes walk from sloane square. Did not eat there but nice little pubsmiling smiley)

Thanks, will check it out.

Date: July 15, 2016 20:21

odean73
Stonesfan62

Thanks, will check it out.

The antelope looks ok, decent wine list and prices.

Has anybody been to the top of the Shard or the Walkie talkie building? Where I believe they have bars and restaurants on top of the buildings.

Date: July 17, 2016 18:27

Recovering from my second visit from yesterday, for some strange reason we took longer to go round than the first time.

I still find it absolutely fantastic that I would be going to a museum for my favourite band and going back to when I first saw them in 1973.

Probably still recovering from the money I spent as well, had to buy the Waterford glasses ( hopefully might be worth some money in years to come ) and. Then some odds and Bob's.
Then I was tempted by the book shop opposite the Saatchi and spent another £100 on the book, the £4000 book was tempting me , but the Mrs guided me away from that.

Went to the restaurant again by the gallery and once again had a very nice meal and a few nice bottles of wine and champagne, if anything the experience was even better than last time.
In my estimation any UK based fan missing this, do need to go, we won't see it again imho.

Posted by: stargroves2120 ()
Date: July 18, 2016 16:11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-08 19:06 by stargroves2120.

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: July 18, 2016 19:43

Can anyone tell me if the book of the exhibition is already available at Saatchi Gallery shop ?
Unfortunately I can not go to the exhibition, but my friend goes there next Saturday
and if there is he buys it for me.

Thanks in advance

Date: July 18, 2016 20:45

Stone601
Can anyone tell me if the book of the exhibition is already available at Saatchi Gallery shop ?
Unfortunately I can not go to the exhibition, but my friend goes there next Saturday

Thanks in advance

I recall seeing the paper back copy on Saturday, but to be honest I did not take much notice of the books.

Date: July 18, 2016 21:03

odean73
Stone601

Thanks in advance

I recall seeing the paper back copy on Saturday, but to be honest I did not take much notice of the books.

Ok thanks

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 18, 2016 21:04

Stone601

Thanks in advance

I ordered the hardcover book couple of weeks ago at the online shop (link is above if you scroll up this thread ).
To my surprise it has been delivered within a week,and it's a very fine book.

Date: July 18, 2016 23:04

shortfatfanny
Stone601

Thanks in advance

I ordered the hardcover book couple of weeks ago at the online shop (link is above if you scroll up this thread ).
To my surprise it has been delivered within a week,and it's a very fine book.

Yeah I know, but I wanted to avoid if possible to pay Eur 33,05 of the shipping costs

Date: July 18, 2016 23:07

there seemed to be more items available this time around,but of course the one thing I wanted to buy the baseball cap were not available.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: July 19, 2016 19:48

Just received my hardcover edition of the book, and it's great!

Can't help but think of all that info combined with all the other great books about The Stones I've collected... The massive impact on music, art and the touring business, not to mention the global social presence they've projected for decades...

I can see I'll hate myself if I don't arrange my first trip into The Big Apple to see all that on display. Here's hoping for MSG shows to make it a binge!

The Greatest Rock'n'Roll Band in the World!

Date: July 20, 2016 11:43

TKinOH
Just received my hardcover edition of the book, and it's great!

Can't help but think of all that info combined with all the other great books about The Stones I've collected... The massive impact on music, art and the touring business, not to mention the global social presence they've projected for decades...

I can see I'll hate myself if I don't arrange my first trip into The Big Apple to see all that on display. Here's hoping for MSG shows to make it a binge!

The Greatest Rock'n'Roll Band in the World!

You will kick yourself if you don't go.

I have been twice and could easily go again, even the Mrs enjoyed going twice.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 20, 2016 16:38

Can anyone tell me the EXACT starting date in Nov in NYC? I have to make hotel reservations etc. Thanks a lot!cool smiley

Posted by: stargroves2120 ()
Date: July 24, 2016 21:30

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-08 19:07 by stargroves2120.

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: July 26, 2016 18:13

Have lurked here for a while but signed up for an account to comment on Exhibitionism which I visited with one of my music mad offspring last week. If anyone is still undecided whether to see it in London or elsewhere then I'd urge you to just go. I was worried that it might be too superficial or corporate but it managed to strike a balance that ought to satisfy the Stones geek as much as the more casual fan. Favourite bits:
- Edith Grove
- Guitars
- Mixing songs
- Costumes

I'm not really a merch person (save my money for music - live or recorded) but there's plenty of that available too. I did pick up a free Saatchi Gallery magazine which had several good Stones articles in it. If anyone's interested I will try to scan and post them.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 27, 2016 12:29

Just back from visit to London, went to Exhibitionism twice, loved it!

Such a buzz for me to see some of the instruments used on some of my favourite stones tracks! Brian's Vox electric dulcimer and Harmony guitar, Keith's Harmony guitars, Keith's Maton and especially his psychedelic Les Paul Custom, oh my!!! I stood and looked intently at the custom for quite awhile on both visits.

Oh, and Charlies Ludwig kit used from 1965 - 1968! A lovely thing!

Another highlight for me, and surprisingly one that many people ignored, was the chance to listen to the Philips cassette recorder take of Pay Your Dues/Street Fighting Man! Listened to it numerous times! So ace to hear that!!

I noticed some clunkers in the info they have with some of the instruments. They state the Vox electric dulcimer was used for the studio recordings of Lady Jane and I Am Waiting, but it wasn't made until after those tracks had been recorded.

The chromatic harmonica with tremolo slide they state Brian used on certain early tracks... he may well have owned it, but it's unlikley he used it on stones recordings.

A great experience, catch it if you can! smileys with beer

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 27, 2016 12:36

His Majesty
Another highlight for me, and surprisingly one that many people ignored, was the chance to listen
to the Philips cassette recorder take of Pay Your Dues/Street Fighting Man! Listened to it numerous times! So ace to hear that!!

Yayy I am glad it grooved you, HM! Listening to that with a "phone" at each ear was one of my favourite parts too.

There were a few weirdly bad clunkers information-wise, though. But it was fantastic overall, and miles of fun.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: July 27, 2016 12:39

I want to go again! smiling bouncing smiley

Oh, and Keith's diary from 1963!!! What a wonderfully historic and cute little item of a thing that is!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-27 12:43 by His Majesty.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 28, 2016 20:33

STILL NO DATES FOR NYC??? When in November will it begin? Good grief, why is this so difficult to find out?

Posted by: glen ()
Date: July 29, 2016 14:08

Going this Saturday, really looking forward to it.

Popping into Sticky Fingers afterwards for something to eat and a few beers smileys with beer

Posted by: JumpinJimF ()
Date: July 29, 2016 14:36

glen
Going this Saturday, really looking forward to it.

Popping into Sticky Fingers afterwards for something to eat and a few beers smileys with beer
You'll enjoy it.
After I visited I "went down to the Chelsea Drugstore" which is about 5 minutes away. Big disappointment as it is now a McDonalds of course. Didn't go in to find out if they had a cherry red soda though.
Sticky Fingers might have been a better bet.

Date: July 29, 2016 15:32

God i forgot about sticky fingers.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 77

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1938
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home