Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 77
Re: The Rolling Stones Exhibitionism
Posted by: TE ()
Date: April 9, 2016 18:42

Green Lady
Monkeytonkman
StratoGR
The last section with the 3d performance, is like watching sitting and watching 3d in cinema or like virtual reality?

Mebee this helps dude:

3D concert experience: You are in a typical backstage area at a Stones gig. Flight cases, racks of guitars, mirrors, changing areas, computer screens, little enclosures. “We’re ready to go when you are,” comes a message from the crew. Stick on the special specs and step out “on stage” alongside the group at one of their shows in Hyde Park in 2013. You will see the view of the runway out into the audience exactly as Jagger sees it while he runs the 50 metres or so out into the middle of the crowd. Stand shoulder to shoulder with Keith and Ronnie as they chop out the riff to Satisfaction and fireworks explode into the night sky. A breath-taking finale to the show - and the exhibition.

\m/

I didn't think this was a very accurate description - the 3D video is great fun but you are not really seeing it from the band's viewpoint - more like a great front row spot, with occasional shots out into the audience. There is a viewing area with no seats, in which most of my crowd tamely seated themselves on the floor... Anyway, it brought back some very happy memories of Hyde Park - I bet if you were in the front rows there you will spot yourselves in the video.

As you will deduce, I've been spending over three very enjoyable hours at the Exhibition today. No pictures because I'm not that good at sneaky photography and TE has done it much better than I could. A few observations:

- Get there early - I went in at 10.30 and by 11.15 there was a considerable scrum coming out of Edith Grove into the room with their first contract and Keith's diaries - took about ten minutes to get to see those (and some hilarious forms they had to fill in for the Press about colour of eyes - Keith's are "brown and bloodshot" apparently - and the ambitions that jlowe listed earlier).

- "Edith Grove" is life size and looks realistically vile but DOES NOT SMELL. There's even a gas meter waiting to be fed shillings, and the tiny inadequate electric fire in the hearth. Lots of "Oh God, just look at their kitchen!" from the crowd.

- There are two 3" reel-to-reel tapes on show which are said to contain a recording of a Crawdaddy performance. News to me.

- I think my favourite area was the mock-up of Olympic studios - you stand in the control room and look at the instruments laid out (together with coffee mugs and ashtrays), while video and audio of the the band in the studio from various eras bring the display to life. This bit did have an evocative smell - the electronic/tape smell of the reel-to-reel machine which was just like that of the one I had when I was a teenager.

- it's obvious that Mick was the one who kept his costumes! More of his than everyone else's put together.

- Brian gets his due in the early years and so does Stu - Mick Taylor is present but not very prominent - if anything has been removed the gap has been closed seamlessly.

- the exhibition looks to be doing well - a bit crowded at times and still plenty of people queueing at the ticket booth when I left around 2.30.

I'd happily go back another time and do it again.

PS: you'll need to mortgage the house and sell your family into slavery to afford most of the gift shop!

Thanks Green Lady. Loved your point about being there early. Was not a mess, but close.

TE
Oslo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-10 00:30 by TE.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 9, 2016 22:04

paulywaul
it held our attention for some fours hours plus ...

That's an awfully long time, if you ask me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-09 22:41 by schillid.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: April 9, 2016 23:23

schillid
paulywaul

it took me around 2 hours to get through (phenomenal considering my attention span means that I normally only take about half an hour to go through exhibits). Part of that was waiting ten minutes to see Keith's journal because there were so many people in there on the first day, but for 20 quid i wanted to make sure I soaked up everything I possibly could. Could definitely see how it could take longer though- like, if you read every description in the gear room (not a huge gear head so i skimmed that bit), mixed all the songs, watched every video in the recording studio area...there were a lot of things in that exhibit.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 10, 2016 00:05

alieb
schillid
paulywaul

it took me around 2 hours to get through ...there were a lot of things in that exhibit.

Maybe paulywaul has time on his hands ... winking smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-10 01:31 by schillid.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 10, 2016 01:29

Many thanks especially to TE, Green Lady and Paulywaul!

MUST find a way to get to London before it closes there!!

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 10, 2016 01:38

Deltics
woodyrichards
Hi

Does anybody who lives in the UK can download the James Bay tour vid of the Exhibitionism and put it here?

Thanks

the link is James Bay - Exhibitionism

[www.youtube.com]

I'm watching this with tightly gritted teeth. A shallow and inadequate commentary by an unknown.

I almost stopped when he says that they didn't drop into gear until Ronnie joined.

Pray tell me young man, how many huge great hits did they have before Ronnie, and how many after?

Who is James Bay anyway.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: April 10, 2016 02:10

CaptainCorella
Deltics
woodyrichards
Hi

Does anybody who lives in the UK can download the James Bay tour vid of the Exhibitionism and put it here?

Thanks

[www.youtube.com]

I'm watching this with tightly gritted teeth. A shallow and inadequate commentary by an unknown.

I almost stopped when he says that they didn't drop into gear until Ronnie joined.

Pray tell me young man, how many huge great hits did they have before Ronnie, and how many after?

Who is James Bay anyway.

Give the boy a break, he was paid to be unwaveringly positive and support it. It's just a promotion piece.

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: April 10, 2016 10:58

RipThisBone
TooTough
Maing photos and videos is easy. Few nice young
security people.

Hi TooTough,
Any news about "The Train Song" and "Havana"?

Someone posted "The Train Song" is the instrumental backingtrack (version without lyrics) of All About You.

"Havana" made me think of Havana Moon by Chuck Berry and Cuba last week.

I believe you maybe correct in thinking "Havana"is Chuck Berry's "Havana Moon" In the late 70's Keith played this song a lot. Like a lot of us we sometimes get into a song we just play over and over. I did not attend these sessions so it may be another song; but odds are it probably is. Keith back in 74 got into Dobie Gray's song "Drift Away" and as we all know they recorded that track. In 1969 Keith also loved the song "Your Angel Steps Out Of Heaven" and they recorded that outtake at Muscle Shoals Studios in Dec. 69. Jagger also recorded that song with Carly Simon during her "Your So Vain" session. There are way to many songs like these to list.. Many were just to do in the studio for fun but not planned for release. The song "Wonderful" may not be the song "Jah is So Wonderful" as i have a reggae song they did titled "Wonderful" and it is not the same as "Jah is so Wonderful" so that one may be the song "Wonderful"???

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: April 10, 2016 18:01

mattleeuk
I will probably be there later this afternoon and again tomorrow if anyone fancy's meeting up...

Thanks so much for posting!

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: April 10, 2016 22:26

alieb
CaptainCorella
Deltics
woodyrichards
Hi

Thanks

[www.youtube.com]

Who is James Bay anyway.

Give the boy a break, he was paid to be unwaveringly positive and support it. It's just a promotion piece.

He does say his dad was a big stones fan and grew up with his music, how true is anybody's guess.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 10, 2016 22:33

Great James Bay !!!

Date: April 10, 2016 23:02

Testify
Great James Bay !!!
hot smiley

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 10, 2016 23:26

Thought the Exhibition was excellent, the Stones must have put a lot of effort into this. Don't follow the reasoning behind the negativity of people like the Daily Mail, it was far beyond anything i expected , enjoyed 2 hours in there. The only negative thing i can express is the gift shop, things like pyjamas priced at £275 lol i did purchase a cool jacket for £55 though smiling smiley

Just a question, sorry if its been answered on previous pages but i was so enjoying the 3D performance of Satisfaction, i just wondered if the rest of the Hyde Park gig has been recorded in 3D.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 10, 2016 23:55

£275 for an original Ronnie pyjama seems to be fair...

Date: April 11, 2016 00:28

yeah nice pyjamas Ronnie, somethin like that, complete with essence of cigarette ash and splattered with oil paints. No they were stacked high is all sizes with that ridiculous price tag. I opted for the Keith in 81' style bomber Jacket which my partner thinks i look like a bit of a tit in.

Posted by: mymick ()
Date: April 11, 2016 00:56

I loved the whole experience 10/10 and will go back for a second visit. I loved seeing Micks costumes and it was a real trip down memory lane for me. Really good value for money. Loved it.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 11, 2016 02:24

sarahunwin
mattleeuk
I will probably be there later this afternoon and again tomorrow if anyone fancy's meeting up...

Thanks so much for posting!

Ditto from me Matt!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 11, 2016 12:52

Thank you to all the reviewers. I have a good idea what to expect now. To be honest I was a little under whelmed at first with only seeing/hearing about Mick's costumes. Really looking forward to the BTB stage mock-up and 3D video. Also, excited to see some of Matt Lee's collection. Is the VL stuff in there? Some of my favorite memorabilia is from that tour. Also, is there a list of merchandise of stuff sold in the gift shop? I'll be there on the 29th and probably 30th too. Ordered the vip deal to avoid lines.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: April 11, 2016 13:24

keithsman

Just a question, sorry if its been answered on previous pages but i was so enjoying the 3D performance of Satisfaction, i just wondered if the rest of the Hyde Park gig has been recorded in 3D.

I asked Patrick Woodroffe, who has worked with the Stones for years on stages, that question. He said no. He said they only did Satisfaction, and did it frame by frame. He said "It cost a fortune."

Maybe if they sell enough pyjamas and foosball tables they will invest in making a full show in 3D. smiling smiley

Posted by: BostonBob ()
Date: April 11, 2016 13:33

Hey, Will be flying in from Singapore landing on Monday the 25th and was planning to hit the exhibit around 3pm. Rockman interested? any others? Any idea on if there would be lines then, I figure a Monday at 3pm should be safe but? recommendations on a pub to hit for a few beforehand? Thanks all….Was listening to Nils Lofgrin's "Keith Don't Go" today…that is a killer tribute to the man…..

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 11, 2016 15:34

BostonBob
Hey, Will be flying in from Singapore landing on Monday the 25th and was planning to hit the exhibit around 3pm. Rockman interested? any others? Any idea on if there would be lines then, I figure a Monday at 3pm should be safe but? recommendations on a pub to hit for a few beforehand? Thanks all….Was listening to Nils Lofgrin's "Keith Don't Go" today…that is a killer tribute to the man…..

A group of us repaired to this pub after the red-carpet appearance. It's about five minutes walk away, near Sloane Square tube station, and very pleasant.

[www.antelope-eaton-terrace.co.uk]

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: April 11, 2016 19:02

Went there today, (had pre-booked long ago), and had a thoroughly enjoyable four hours. Whilst it's really all been said now my brief comments are:

- if you can book for 10am then there is absolutely no need for a VIP ticket. I strolled up at 9.50 and was 4th in.

- I swear I could smell the Edith Grove kitchen and I wasn't expecting to after comments here. This recreation is one of the highlights of the exhibition for me and has been done with great attention to detail.

- Loved the costume area; a lot of the stuff loked much better close up than I thought it did in pictures.

- The 3D concert was fantastic but the backstage area was a real let down. I was expecting an insight into what the Workout, Recovery, Cotton Club and Camp XRay dressing rooms look like - if only from photos - but there was none.

- Brian, Bill & Stu have been treated very well and not airbrushed out in the least. There is so little of Taylor that a casual visitor would probably not even notice him but according to his Facebook page that's the way he wants it so I see nothing to complain about there.

- the shop does have quite a good selection of cheap tat like fridge magnets and keyrings so everyone can buy some sort of memento if they wish. The pricey stuff is very high quality and it is very nice to at least see it even if the vast majority of us wouldn't even contemplate buying it.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 11, 2016 19:56

ChrisL
keithsman

I asked Patrick Woodroffe, who has worked with the Stones for years on stages, that question. He said no. He said they only did Satisfaction, and did it frame by frame. He said "It cost a fortune."

Maybe if they sell enough pyjamas and foosball tables they will invest in making a full show in 3D. smiling smiley

That's strange, why would they have to do 3D "frame by frame" ? Maybe the display at the exhibition is something special ? The cameras at HP1 and HP2 were "native" 3D cameras and I can't see why a 3D Blu Ray couldn't be made from that footage.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: April 11, 2016 20:42

ChrisL
keithsman

Thanks for your response Chrisl, that's disappointing, i would of loved to have seen all of Hyde Park on 3D.

Re: Visiting London.
Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: April 11, 2016 20:50

Thanks a lot for the answer. I accidentaly posted in this thread , I intended to start a new thread. Anyway thanks a lot

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: April 11, 2016 22:24

gotdablouse
ChrisL
keithsman

That's strange, why would they have to do 3D "frame by frame" ? Maybe the display at the exhibition is something special ? The cameras at HP1 and HP2 were "native" 3D cameras and I can't see why a 3D Blu Ray couldn't be made from that footage.

I'm not techinally inclined enough to know, but he definitely said it was done frame by frame, for what it's worth.

We were both basically raving about it and so I asked for the rest of the show.

Anyway, we can still hope for the rest in 3D.

Posted by: basti ()
Date: April 12, 2016 10:52

are in the Museum a Shop.
I visit London on May 19.
Can anybody make Pictures from the Merch, if available

basti

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 12, 2016 11:33

Cristiano Radtke
crawdaddy
Found out from someone who went today that they sell t-shirts and other clothing etc. in the shop.

If anyone is visiting in next few days could they say what design t-shirts etc. and if anything really worth getting.

Cheers in anticipation. smileys with beer

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: April 12, 2016 11:44

basti
are in the Museum a Shop.
I visit London on May 19.
Can anybody make Pictures from the Merch, if available

basti

Hi basti,

Previously in this thread I posted that the sizes on the £19.99 t-shirts are different to what I'm used to. The small (my usual size) is very tight but the medium is too big. They let me try the 2 sizes on over the shirt I was wearing.
Also, as you've no doubt noticed, there's a lot of pink. Not really my colour, darlings!

Date: April 12, 2016 13:45

Anybody reckon its worth buying the VIP pass?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 77

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1239
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home