Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 77
Re: Rolling Stones Exhibitionism. Coming to London in April 2016.
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: July 8, 2015 22:45

This was my laugh of the day!

[www.theguardian.com]

Risque Rolling Stones Exhibitionism poster banned by London Underground

Band ‘dumbfounded’ after Transport for London asked for the lips logo to be shifted from the crotch to the belly button – while the rest of the country will continue to display the original

Transport for London’s primary concern may be its imminent tube strike – but the service has recently been burdened with another problem: Mick’s lips. Artwork advertising the Rolling Stones’ forthcoming gallery show Exhibitionism has been banned on the London underground and at bus stops around the city until a new, less lewd version of the poster is provided.

The neon advert – which shows the crotch of a woman in a bikini, with John Pasche’s famous lips logo placed in a cheeky position – was put together by British designer Mark Norton, with help from Mick Jagger and Charlie Watts. However, when it was submitted to Exterion Media, which regulates advertisements on the tube, and Clear Channel, a regulator for bus shelters, the band were told the poster was not suitable to run in its original form. For it to be approved, the logo must be moved away from the crotch and on to the woman’s belly button instead.

The “tongue over belly button” posters will go up in London on Monday, while the rest of the country will receive the original “tongue over pants”.

A spokesperson for the Rolling Stones said: “We are dumbfounded and perplexed at this rather silly decision. Perhaps something to do with the fact that it’s the Rolling Stones and controversy still seems to follow them everywhere.”

This is not the first time the band have been questioned over their arresting artwork: the tongue logo, specifically crafted to represent the band’s “anti-authoritarian attitude, Mick’s mouth and the obvious sexual connotations”, was always intended to shock. In 1976, their Black & Blue poster, which featured Anita Russell tied up and sporting bruises, was removed from a Hollywood billboard after protests.

Tickets for Exhibitionism, which opens at London’s Saatchi Gallery next year, go on sale on Friday 10 July.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 8, 2015 23:20

Beast

They thought: "See you there! "

[www.iorr.org]

Date: July 9, 2015 11:22

'Risque Rolling Stones Exhibitionism poster banned by London Underground' - haha, amazing that the Stones tongue still (supposedly) has the power to shock/upset/anger people. All good publicity for the show.........which doesn't even start for another 9 months!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: July 9, 2015 11:33

Father Ted
latebloomer
A little OT, but this has been bugging me...why is it called "exhibitionism" instead of an exhibit? I'm guessing it's a Brit language thing. Exhibitionism can land you in jail, here in the States.

It's a legal requirement in the UK winking smiley

>grinning smiley< the irony & 'double entendre' of it definiely is, I'd say. smoking smiley

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 9, 2015 11:55

Yes ! I'm sure Mick and the boys wont mind this unexpected publicity ,just as tix are going on sale for an event 9 months or more away. winking smiley

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 10, 2015 16:09

Beast
This was my laugh of the day!

[www.theguardian.com]

Band ‘dumbfounded’ after Transport for London asked for the lips logo to be shifted from the crotch to the belly button – while the rest of the country will continue to display the original

Transport for London’s primary concern may be its imminent tube strike – but the service has recently been burdened with another problem: Mick’s lips. Artwork advertising the Rolling Stones’ forthcoming gallery show Exhibitionism has been banned on the London underground and at bus stops around the city until a new, less lewd version of the poster is provided.

The neon advert – which shows the crotch of a woman in a bikini, with John Pasche’s famous lips logo placed in a cheeky position – was put together by British designer Mark Norton, with help from Mick Jagger and Charlie Watts. However, when it was submitted to Exterion Media, which regulates advertisements on the tube, and Clear Channel, a regulator for bus shelters, the band were told the poster was not suitable to run in its original form. For it to be approved, the logo must be moved away from the crotch and on to the woman’s belly button instead.

The “tongue over belly button” posters will go up in London on Monday, while the rest of the country will receive the original “tongue over pants”.

A spokesperson for the Rolling Stones said: “We are dumbfounded and perplexed at this rather silly decision. Perhaps something to do with the fact that it’s the Rolling Stones and controversy still seems to follow them everywhere.”

This is not the first time the band have been questioned over their arresting artwork: the tongue logo, specifically crafted to represent the band’s “anti-authoritarian attitude, Mick’s mouth and the obvious sexual connotations”, was always intended to shock. In 1976, their Black & Blue poster, which featured Anita Russell tied up and sporting bruises, was removed from a Hollywood billboard after protests.

Tickets for Exhibitionism, which opens at London’s Saatchi Gallery next year, go on sale on Friday 10 July.

Too funny for words !! grinning smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 10, 2015 18:46

Turner68

This is the best thing ever!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 11, 2015 01:02

I fought ya trip wiv Mr Smokey was pretty entertaining ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 11, 2015 01:10

Rockman
I fought ya trip wiv Mr Smokey was pretty entertaining ....

Bite me, ya lowdown bastard! grinning smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 11, 2015 09:01

Are they really just going to do this as a quartet? It's obvious that Bill should be part of it, but what about Brian? Doesn't he still have a living sibling, his sister? She might have family photos of Brian we've never seen. And Mick Taylor. And Stu.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 11, 2015 13:45

What makes you think it's just "as a quartet"? I'm pretty sure they know
there are other people who need to be included to make it comprehensive.

Date: July 11, 2015 18:18

with sssoul

Because it's being promoted as involving the archives of the four remaining, with no mention of the other's participation.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 11, 2015 20:25

The Stones talking about the exhibit: (sorry if already posted somewhere)

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 11, 2015 21:49

crawdaddy
Yes ! I'm sure Mick and the boys wont mind this unexpected publicity ,just as tix are going on sale for an event 9 months or more away. winking smiley

Unexpected? I'd guess they gambled on that poster getting banned somewhere by somebody sooner or later. I'd quite like to ban the thing myself - not for being raunchy but for being so crude and ugly - a bit like a visual version of some of Mick's lyrics in A Bigger Bang. The one thing that can be said in its favour is that you'll certainly notice it!

Date: July 11, 2015 22:16

Green Lady
crawdaddy

Unexpected? I'd guess they gambled on that poster getting banned somewhere by somebody sooner or later. I'd quite like to ban the thing myself - not for being raunchy but for being so crude and ugly - a bit like a visual version of some of Mick's lyrics in A Bigger Bang. The one thing that can be said in its favour is that you'll certainly notice it!

I tend to agree with swiss on this one that all the promo seems to bit a bit gaudy and ostentatious. lol on the Bigger Bang lyric analogy, combine that with the artistic flair of Dirty Work.....

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: July 12, 2015 20:37

24FPS
with sssoul

Because it's being promoted as involving the archives of the four remaining, with no mention of the other's participation.

Actually they refer to drawing upon other sources.

Date: July 13, 2015 06:40

MrThompsonWooft
24FPS
with sssoul

But no mention of Bill, Mick T., or Stu or Brian's family, correct?

Date: July 13, 2015 06:50

24FPS
MrThompsonWooft
24FPS
with sssoul

I still haven't forgiven Mick or Brett Morgan for failing to mention Stu in Crossfire Hurricane.

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: July 16, 2015 18:03

Absolute Radio say they have "...an exclusive two-part documentary" starting this Sunday - "Exhibitionism - The Story of The Rolling Stones", hosted by Danny Wallace.

[absoluteradio.co.uk]

Don't think anyone's posted this but sorry if so.

Date: July 16, 2015 19:22

Naturalust
24FPS
MrThompsonWooft
24FPS
with sssoul

I still haven't forgiven Mick or Brett Morgan for failing to mention Stu in Crossfire Hurricane.

I'm sure that keeps both of them up at night!

Date: July 16, 2015 19:31

MrThompsonWooft
Naturalust
24FPS
MrThompsonWooft
24FPS
with sssoul

I'm sure that keeps both of them up at night!

Of course not eye rolling smiley, but it didn't go unnoticed by me and plenty of other fans who knew how important Stu was to their organization during that time. Really a shame they didn't give him a nod.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: July 17, 2015 04:01

i bought a ticket and i got a confirmation e-mail, but I just checked my credit card statement and I haven't been charged for it. Should I be concerned?

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: July 18, 2015 15:05

yea same here only e.mail and ref no,i think need to pay for ticket,via the web site,if i am right.

Date: July 18, 2015 15:16

Doesn't it say that the tickets will be sent out in October? Maybe that's when we get charged.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 20, 2015 17:15

MarthaTuesday
Absolute Radio say they have "...an exclusive two-part documentary" starting this Sunday - "Exhibitionism - The Story of The Rolling Stones", hosted by Danny Wallace.

[absoluteradio.co.uk]

Don't think anyone's posted this but sorry if so.

Thanks, Martha. Part one can be listened now on Mixcloud: [www.mixcloud.com]

Exhibitionism Questions
Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: August 2, 2015 12:54

Please, no unfunny responses.

The exhibition allows people in every half hour. Does that mean you'll get herded in and herded out thirty minutes later?

Looking at the website, no viewing appears to be shown as unavailable. Is this the case or do you have to plough through it when buying a ticket online only to be told to try for another date?

I suppose you can visit the gallery in person and buy tickets that way. Is that correct?

Re: Exhibitionism Questions
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 2, 2015 13:09

I'm sure you can stay longer than half an hour. Maybe there are some film-style segments that last a set time,
but it may also simply be the curators' estimates of how long most people will spend in the first two rooms.
Museums arrange things to keep the traffic flow through exhibitions smooth and unjammed.

I don't know the answer to your other questions.

Date: August 2, 2015 13:44

I recently did the Elvis Exhibition at the O2. This was a timed ticket but once in there were no time restrictions imposed on you. You could stay as long as you liked. There was also a film element. This was shown at set times but you had freedom of choice as to what slot you went for.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: August 2, 2015 17:24

MrThompsonWooft
I recently did the Elvis Exhibition at the O2. This was a timed ticket but once in there were no time restrictions imposed on you. You could stay as long as you liked. There was also a film element. This was shown at set times but you had freedom of choice as to what slot you went for.

I hope that this is the way it is- I will definitely make the most of my 15 pound ticket

Date: August 2, 2015 18:33

That's the way art exhibitions work - come in on time and leave when you've seen enough. Note that the last timed entry slot is 4.30 but the place doesn't close until 6, so they think you need a minimum of an hour and a half to do it justice. You certainly won't get booted out after 30 minutes.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 77

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1947
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home