Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Weaselling My Extra Ticket Back
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 30, 2015 17:21

The person I am sharing my Lucky Dips with is not a person I'd like to go to or be next to at a concert. How do I get out of it? He's a good friend and I feel awkward having a behavior talk to another adult.

When I threw the ticket offer up, he jumped on it. At the time I've never been to a concert with him. Well since then, I have. Luckily with a few others that would "babysit" him. I was the DD, so I had a clear perspective on the night.

At a Stones show, I don't want to be distracted and I hate if other's nights would be ruined because of this guy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-30 17:26 by MingSubu.

Re: OT: Weaselling My Extra Ticket Back
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 30, 2015 17:32

Sorry you're in this "sticky" situation, Thom. smiling smiley

Best thing to do is spend the money on an upgraded ticket for yourself, and then give the other lucky dip to the babysitter.

Date: June 30, 2015 18:02

That is a good idea.

What I fear is that any girl next to him is going to have to deal with him. He is an up in your face drinker too. Husband/Boyfriend, it doesn't matter. Then he is yapping away, about anything, during a song. Falling over seats as he is going for his 3rd 4 shots in a cup with a little water.

This is what I'd hate to bring to a show.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 30, 2015 18:07

Tell him that:
"the Lucky Dip tickets were a scam. Sorry, here's your money back dude."

Go yourself.
Gift a ticket if you so desire, otherwise go in alone.

I've been in that situation. It's no fun.
Good luck.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 30, 2015 18:10

Sad how sometimes things aren't what you expect. Let me know if you want help with a refund on your ticket. smiling smiley

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: June 30, 2015 18:16

Take him into the show; then after the support act, go to Customer Service and tell them you've been sat next to an obnoxious drunk and can they move you; Hopefully they will put you in a better seat and then just text him and tell him to meet you after the show. done.

Date: June 30, 2015 18:19

On the other hand, you could be honest - hey, man, you were are a drunken @#$%& at the last concert and it ruined it for me. So I'm giving the ticket to someone else. It would solve your problem, but you might lose a friend.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 30, 2015 18:22

I like the idea of getting yourself an upgrade and letting him have the lucky dip,
but don't you have to show your ID to get the lucky dip tickets? But either way if he's a good friend
I'd simply tell him his way of having fun at shows isn't compatible with yours.
Otherwise he's likely to get luckydipped to a seat right near you anyway.
The universe enjoys funny jokes like that.

Date: June 30, 2015 18:29

The universe enjoys funny jokes like that.

Truer words were never spoken, sssoul lady. smileys with beer

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: June 30, 2015 18:59

Tough call, been in that situation myself. The important thing is don't feel guilty about it. From being familiar with a lot of your posts, you seem like a great person to go to a show with. Good luck.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 30, 2015 19:03

tell him the "girlfriend "wants to go to the show instead and you have no choice about the matter . end of story . why have a stones concert ruined by a drunken jerk like the guy you describe .

Date: June 30, 2015 19:08

TheGreek
tell him the "girlfriend "wants to go to the show instead and you have no choice about the matter . end of story . why have a stones concert ruined by a drunken jerk like the guy you describe .

That's a good, viable excuse. Or maybe tell him you messed up and bought tickets to the wrong show. Having to tell a lie in this situation is almost inevitable. Just pick one that you're most comfortable with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-30 19:10 by josepi.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 30, 2015 19:25

Just tell him you asked from a buddy who had 5th row to go with him. So you canceled the lucky dip tickets.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 30, 2015 19:28

If this person is really a friend then he'll appreciate your honest criticism and possibly even amend his behavior accordingly. I know it's awkward but I'm an advocate of total, brutal honesty in situations such as yours. If he doesn't understand and ends the friendship, he's not really a friend and not worth keeping in your circle.

Date: June 30, 2015 19:28

More Hot Rocks
Just tell him you asked from a buddy who had 5th row to go with him. So you canceled the lucky dip tickets.

That's even better! Someone could post a new thread out here offering up a 5th row ticket and you could reply that you will take him/her up on the offer, and voila!.... you could direct your friend to that particular thread to show "proof" that you are telling the truth. All problems solved.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: June 30, 2015 19:35

bleedingman
If this person is really a friend then he'll appreciate your honest criticism and possibly even amend his behavior accordingly. I know it's awkward but I'm an advocate of total, brutal honesty in situations such as yours. If he doesn't understand and ends the friendship, he's not really a friend and not worth keeping in your circle.

I agree with that. But its easier to put a large dose of a laxative in his beer and hour before the show. He'll be in the crapper all night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-30 19:36 by RockinJive.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: June 30, 2015 19:57

A "tight corner" as it is known. If you can't have a straight-up and adult male "friend" then how much a friend is he and can he be in the future?
If he is a casual rather than close friend, I wouldn't loose sleep over saying, "Sorry, bud, changed my mind on the Lucky Dip ticket and going with this woman (etc). If he makes a fuss and throws a tantrum, best to cut ties, it would probably happen eventually if he is such a dumbass. He probably thinks he is being "rock n roll wild" and it is all "cool", which suggests he has no self-awareness and will invite trouble again.

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 30, 2015 20:02

Easy : write a fake review under an alias on IORR for the show that comes right before the one you'll attend.
Show him the IORR page then think out loud the Stones are washed out too old show's going to be a bore.
Then either your friend will want a refund or he won't show up on show day.

Date: June 30, 2015 22:13

What sucks is that my plan B is better than my plan A. Plan B, I can bring my chow chow. I already did Plan B for Columbus and it rocked!!!

Plan A: Leave day of concert, with this dude. Drive home after the show.

Plan B: Leave some time in the morning with my chow and Mikhala. eye popping smiley A very sweet, easy on the eye, 21 year old dogsitter. We get a kick ass hotel. Do a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Then for show time, she stays at the hotel with my chow. I make a quick post on here saying something like First one to text me gets my other Lucky Dip for free. After the show, back to the hotel. tongue sticking out smileysmiling smiley I'm a gentleman though. Then we road trip to Buffalo, doing whatever we want during the days in between. Her and I already have plans for Buffalo.

Date: June 30, 2015 22:14

Thanks for everyone's advice.

I think I might just be honest, or play the hot date angle. Arghhhh!!!!!

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: June 30, 2015 23:02

Tell him they broke up

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 30, 2015 23:20

PLAN B wins! Knowing that he's a guy, if he's ANY kind of friend, the moment you get to "21 year-old-soft-on-the-eyes" he'll TOTALLY understand. If he doesn't instantly offer to give up his seat for her, you can offer to buy him a different LD ticket so you and she can be together at the show. Add in the story that, because of your new plan to go straight on to Buffalo, and you've got a reason for him to not even ride with you!

I'm rooting for you!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: July 1, 2015 00:06

tell him its his turn to be the DD, as it sounds like you handled those duties recently for him.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 1, 2015 00:09

Go with this kat. If he gets in a fight at least it won't be with you. This is a good post.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 1, 2015 00:13

HalfNanker
tell him its his turn to be the DD, as it sounds like you handled those duties recently for him.

Best suggestion yet!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 1, 2015 00:14

MingSubu
I think I might just be honest

The only way that I know

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 1, 2015 00:54

Tell him you've gained a massive amount of weight and you need both seats....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: July 1, 2015 01:19

the hot date angle sounds best. if you say the ticket is going to a hottie and the guy protests, you can shame him for being a cockblocker. "seriously, dude!" should end the conversation.

Date: July 1, 2015 03:30

I'm starting to think you should go the honest route. I had a situation exactly like this one and had to lie my way thru a couple of shows. One day last year my friend wanted to come to town and spend a few days at my place. I told him he was welcome to come stay with us for as long as he needed but that he couldn't drink here. That ended the friendship. Ultimately i realized he wasn't worth being friends with in the first place. I'm better off for it now because I didn't have to put up with his heavy drinking on this tour. We shared a room on a couple of previous tours and he basically embarassed me with some of the stuff he did. Good riddance. Basically it comes down to whether you really want to remain friends with him. If he's like my old pal, his best friend is the bottle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-01 03:30 by josepi.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: July 3, 2015 04:09

What did you wind up doing???

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1568
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home