Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

PAINT IT, BLACK as opening song?
Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: July 30, 2005 08:51

I must admit that it is almost impossible for me to come up with a set list and include everything I would like to hear, but I have always been fascinated by the choice of opening song. I think ideally it should be something known, and not new ("Brown Sugar" in 1972 and "Start Me Up" in 1981 being notible exceptions...they were instant radio hits), but they've pretty much used everything, some twice. But "Paint It, Black" has never been used and has a great Keith opening, goes right into a driving beat and requires no back-up singers (the reason "Gimme Shelter" could never be an opener...though I think it would be a great one. Unless they did it like the live 1969 version, which would be interesting).
I remember seeing Paul McCartney some years ago and everyone was all jacked-up and excited when he came on and he opened with some new mid-tempo song that no one knew and you could just feel the air go out of the place. People started sitting down! So the opener does set the tone.
What do you think?

Re: PAINT IT, BLACK as opening song?
Posted by: stonestom ()
Date: July 30, 2005 09:16

I agree the opener is really a high part and exciter. Although the last couple tours they havent been to big. However, Paint it Black I dont think they do that song well anymore so I dont think it would work. It is possible that it could connect to this big bang theory painting it black. I dont know something like that.

~~TOM

Posted by: Michael Mead LV ()
Date: July 30, 2005 09:16

Works for me. Known, but not a warhorse. If they need to, they could add some front end soundtrack, like Voodoo's "Not Fade Away". But I would like to hear it played simple and hard...

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 30, 2005 09:21

Ya, good one. Better than One Hit..........Send it in to RS.comm.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 30, 2005 11:20

Start with Rough Justice.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 30, 2005 11:22

Yeah I'm with you Kenty....it's 2005 dig in and give us the new babies.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: July 30, 2005 11:27

I don't think the choice of opening song is really that big of a deal. My hopes are that the forthcoming shows will feature several songs from the back catalouge instead. Although, I wouldn't mind if Mick and Chuck would decide to play One Hit ( To The Body ) or Rough Justice at the start of the European leg of the tour.....

Date: July 30, 2005 11:32

I don't think the choice of opening song is really that big of a deal.

There's a massive rush when the Stones come on so I dont think Lady Jane or Sister Morph would actually do the trick if ya get me.

ROCKMAN

Date: July 30, 2005 11:33

But I would prefer someone other than Keith to start off the show. Like in 94-95.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: July 30, 2005 11:35

Chuck behind the curtain?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: July 30, 2005 11:36

LOL!!!

Date: July 30, 2005 11:37

NO!!!!!

JumpingKentFlash

Date: July 30, 2005 11:40

Had to slip that one in....Rockboy

Date: July 30, 2005 11:43

LOL!!!!

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: July 30, 2005 13:42

now THAT would be an opener for Charlie after all the troubles with regards to his health!!!!

what a brilliant idea!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 30, 2005 14:14

They should start with "The Last Time". Simple riff, very recognizable.

- Koen.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: July 30, 2005 14:23

The Last Time is my favorite but I think they will do Honky Tonk Women. It's time...

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: July 30, 2005 15:58

How about Sad Sad Sad?

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 30, 2005 16:09

This is a great thread, because I've recently myself been thinking about what they might be opening with when the tour starts, and I haven't really been able to come up with anything - at least nothing that hasn't been used before.

To me, the Stones always open best with a bang. The lights dim, people start ya-hooing, there's usually some kind of a bolt of lightning or thunderflash - and there they are! And the first sound you hear is usually one of KR's clangy killer chords or power riffs. It suffices to say that theirs is usually a grand entrance in the finest tradition, and the tempo of the song does I think very much set the tone.

The song they used to great effect I thought was in 81/82. If you take in the album version of Under my Thumb, you could easily be forgiven for overlooking its potential as an opener. But they didn't, and what an opener it was - absolutely fantastic !!

I haven't heard ANYTHING off the new album, so I can't comment on RJ or anything else that might be on it, but looking at the catalogue to date, I really can't identify a single song. I find that quite strange really. It'll make the tour even more exciting for me though, because I have total confidence in the boys that whatever it turns out to be, it'll hit the spot !!

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: July 30, 2005 16:22

Sorry fellas. No sitar = no PIB. The sitar is what made that song truly great. Without it, PIB would sound 'empty' . . .

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 30, 2005 16:42

I would also like to hear them taking some great but not so well-known gem and make it an unique opener.. "Under My Thumb" and "Not Fade Away" were excellent choices and gave a flavor of their own to those tours. Starting with a war horse like "Brown Sugar", "Street Fighting Man", or "Start Me Up" is just so evident and easy choice.. more imagination, guys!

What about "Come On"!!!????

- Doxa

Posted by: kait ()
Date: July 30, 2005 23:36

maybe they change the openers from show to show?! must be very exciting when you don't know what they'll play first

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: July 31, 2005 00:04

YA KAIT ,,they may do that ..no 1 will no the opener from show to show

Posted by: G.Lespaul ()
Date: July 31, 2005 00:29

Start with a new song..I mean SMU JJF SFM ok but......

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 31, 2005 01:22

neptune Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry fellas. No sitar = no PIB. The sitar is
> what made that song truly great. Without it, PIB
> would sound 'empty' . . .

Well - they opened with SFM for the arena gigs last time and Ronnie played the (electric) sitar - so that blows a huge hole in your theory....

It's HTW by a landslide....

Date: July 31, 2005 02:16

Have you all heard the version of Paint It Black from Bremen '98?That one is my favorite so,I believe it would still work these days.I saw them do a great version of it in Hartford 3-28-'99 too but it is not a song I'm hoping for again because I want to see as many rarities and new songs as possible, unless it is the opener or closer for a change of pace.

Posted by: dennysmith61 ()
Date: July 31, 2005 04:24

i say far away eyes

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1990
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home