Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 15 of 20
Re: Sticky Fingers Live (Fonda Theatre 2015) officially on i-tunes
Date: July 3, 2015 23:43

"In the United States, the classic rock format features music ranging generally from the late 1960s to the late 1980s, primarily focusing on commercially successful hard rock popularized in the 1970s".

That last line is essential here. Blues-based bands and Beatles has nothing to do with the musical definition of classic rock, no matter how many hits they had or if americans choose to melt-pot hits of other genres into the mix here and call everything classic rock.

Pink Floyd???

Date: July 3, 2015 23:44

Bastion
DP is constantly fighting for his own opinion to be the ONE TRUE FACT for everything smiling smiley

You, Sir, are not very good with words.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 3, 2015 23:54

DandelionPowderman
"In the United States, the classic rock format features music ranging generally from the late 1960s to the late 1980s, primarily focusing on commercially successful hard rock popularized in the 1970s".

That last line is essential here. Blues-based bands and Beatles has nothing to do with the musical definition of classic rock, no matter how many hits they had or if americans choose to melt-pot hits of other genres into the mix here and call everything classic rock.

Pink Floyd???

Classic rock is rock that started with the Beatles and ended with Punk/New wave.
To say that Led Zeppelin is not classic rock is... um.. new.

The Who -> classic rock
Elvis Costello -> not
The Kinks -> classic rock
The Clash -> not
Jimi Hendrix ->classic rock
Motley Crue -> not
Aerosmith -> classic rock
Joy Division -> not

etc.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 4, 2015 00:02

DandelionPowderman
Bastion
DP is constantly fighting for his own opinion to be the ONE TRUE FACT for everything smiling smiley

SHOTS FIRED! eye popping smiley

Olly.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 4, 2015 00:13

DandelionPowderman

Pink Floyd???

Yeah Pink Floyd is in the top 10 of all classic rock bands for sure. Comfortably Numb, Money and other Floyd tunes are in constant rotation on every classic rock station in America. Some even play DSOTM in it's entirety at least once per year.

I admire your tenacity dandie my friend, but when you say Beatles, Stones, LZ and The Eagles aren't classic rock and try to argue the point, you are losing a bit of credibility here. Hell, I love a good debate as much as anyone, but this one is so obvious it's like trying to debate if water is wet.

Take it from someone who was born and raised in America, where the description originated and has been driven home by the radio stations for the last 30 years or so, all those bands are classic rock. It is a broader genre description than you might be aware of and includes artists like James Taylor and CSN who may not be hard rock artists but have had hugely popular hits during that period and are generally liked and accepted by rock people.

Forgive my ignorance but do they even have classic rock stations in Norway? Maybe it truly means something different there and we are geographically both correct.

Date: July 4, 2015 00:22

Apparently americans go by radio play alone, whilst many other countries don't define pop bands, prog bands, blues bands and heavy metal bands as classic rock.

70s hard rock is classic rock here (not metal). Led Zep could have been there, but the band is way too complex to fit the category musically, as they are blues-based and moved on towards prog.

So, yes, this definitely looks like an american definition based on record sales alone. Kinks and Beatles? Just think it over one more time.

Date: July 4, 2015 00:25

DandelionPowderman
Apparently americans go by radio play alone, whilst many other countries don't define pop bands, prog bands, blues bands and heavy metal bands as classic rock.

70s hard rock is classic rock here (not metal). Led Zep could have been there, but the band is way too complex to fit the category musically, as they are blues-based and moved on towards prog.

So, yes, this definitely looks like an american definition based on record sales alone. Kinks and Beatles? Just think it over one more time.

i don't think the american definition has anything to do with record sales. it has to do with time period - rock music that was played in a certain era. i don't even think of it as a genre, but more as an era.

Date: July 4, 2015 00:27

Turner68
DandelionPowderman

i don't think the american definition has anything to do with record sales. it has to do with time period - rock music that was played in a certain era. i don't even think of it as a genre, but more as an era.

First rotation, then sales?

Nevermind, it's apparently not regarded as genre.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-04 00:29 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: July 4, 2015 00:30

DandelionPowderman
Turner68
DandelionPowderman

i don't see it as being related to either (assuming you mean rotation on the radio... )

let me try a different tact. "classic rock" is a term like "Modern art". to a true fan, both terms are hopelessly vague. but most people in the world know what is meant by both. the beatles are classic rock, picasso paints modern art, da vinci is not modern art, and the cure is not classic rock.

i went to this norwegian site about classic rock - it has cream, james taylor, CCR, the eagles, deep purple, mccartney/wings, bad finger.... think it fits my definition pretty well. it is lighter on the 60s than i would have expected.

[www.udiscovermusic.no]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-04 00:39 by Turner68.

Date: July 4, 2015 00:56

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Turner68
DandelionPowderman

i don't see it as being related to either (assuming you mean rotation on the radio... )

let me try a different tact. "classic rock" is a term like "Modern art". to a true fan, both terms are hopelessly vague. but most people in the world know what is meant by both. the beatles are classic rock, picasso paints modern art, da vinci is not modern art, and the cure is not classic rock.

My educated opinion:

Classic Rock is a radio format and includes different genres. They include prog rock, soft rock, hard rock, pop rock, blues rock, psychedelic rock.

It's not purely a record sales thing but like all radio stations generally the most popular songs are going to get played and it's not purely an era thing but generally starts with The Beatles and includes mostly the most popular late 60's, 70's music. They do play stuff from the 80'sw and 90's too so it's not set in stone. Calling a band classic rock is basically saying they are played on classic rock stations but the genre thing becomes kinda of intuitively attached to it.

So basically we are all right, sorry to get so OT here, my bad.

Date: July 4, 2015 01:02

[www.classicrockersnetwork.com]

I have always referred to classic rock, the sound. But I stand corrected on the majority using the term without any musical substans, merely the radio format for popular music within that time frame.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-04 01:06 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: July 4, 2015 01:29

DandelionPowderman
[www.classicrockersnetwork.com]

I have always referred to classic rock, the sound. But I stand corrected on the majority using the term without any musical substans, merely the radio format for popular music within that time frame.

I appreciate your standing corrected but lets get a tad bit clearer...

If you read that link you provided the guy calls it a genre and gives plenty of musical substans. His definition (better than mine) says both:

'Classic rock is a genre of music that combines a particular guitar-driven rock sound with a particular era of time. The classic rock era began in early 1960's with rock n' roll based bands like The Beatles and Rolling Stones, diversifying into bands like Led Zeppelin and The Doors.

So I hope you understand why I felt somewhat compelled to correct your rather bold statement that those 4 bands were not classic rock. They are in fact at the top of his list of bands that are definitely considered classic rock.

To get back OT: I would have to consider this SF Live release by the Stones in 2015 classic rock too!

Date: July 4, 2015 01:46

But his view was the controversial view smiling smiley

Like I said, I stand corrected on this one, although the term is indeed being used differently.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 4, 2015 02:26

Right now the album is #9 on Itunes USA albums:
[www.livepopbars2.com]

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: July 4, 2015 04:13

Having purchased this yesterday i've listened through it three times already, it's a great recording that really makes me jealous of the few that secured tickets for this show!

I don't think anyone would disagree that the Stones have been performing really well in their latest tours, having seen them a couple times in the last few years i've thoroughly enjoyed each show despite the same old set lists.

Posted by: Sway65 ()
Date: July 4, 2015 04:49

Can't buy this here in Australia...

If anyone can help I would be most grateful. My email is:

robphilpott14@outlook.com

Thanks.

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: July 4, 2015 05:12

Sway65

Thanks.
It's on iTunes in Australia.
I bought it a few days ago for $11.99.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: July 4, 2015 06:08

Just one more voice saying how much I really like this release. While there are better versions CYHMK out there, everything else on here is played and SUNG with commitment.

I like it so much more than I thought I would. And as for not including the rest of the show, it's Sticky Fingers Live, and I prefer it this way than to having other tunes clutter it up.

Count me in as a believer.

I'm like many of you, when I realized the Stones weren't playing Salt Lake City this time around, I figured, "That's fine, I've seen every tour since '81, and this is just more of the same in the post-'89 era." However, when they are playing great, any night can produce magic.

T@3

Posted by: Sway65 ()
Date: July 4, 2015 06:12

bonddm
Sway65

Thanks.

Ah, when I got the email from rolling stones.com this morning and followed the link in the email to the iTunes Store it said 'not available in iTunes Australia store'.

Thanks for letting me know, bonddm!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 4, 2015 07:16

bitusa2012
Still Life sounded, and still does to me, the worst live record I have ever heard ANYONE officially release....
I agree ... I had the hampton show on vinyl before Still Life was ever released and it was/is awesome. It sounds fantastic. Still Life was a terrible disappointment to me, after having heard the bootleg.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 4, 2015 15:31

I'm going crazy, I was able to listen to previews, but I can not download the entire album, I may have a problem on credit card...

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 4, 2015 15:55

Testify

I'm going crazy, I was able to listen to previews, but I can not download the entire album, I may have a problem on credit card...

Were you able to buy the Album, meaning the purchase was successful but the download is a problem?

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: July 4, 2015 16:00

I just went to iTunes and searched under LIVE ROLLING STONES

It's there, I'm in Australia

Sway65
bonddm
Sway65

Thanks.

Ah, when I got the email from rolling stones.com this morning and followed the link in the email to the iTunes Store it said 'not available in iTunes Australia store'.

Thanks for letting me know, bonddm!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 4, 2015 16:10

Turner68
DandelionPowderman

Pink Floyd???

Classic rock is rock that started with the Beatles and ended with Punk/New wave.
To say that Led Zeppelin is not classic rock is... um.. new.

The Who -> classic rock
Elvis Costello -> not
The Kinks -> classic rock
The Clash -> not
Jimi Hendrix ->classic rock
Motley Crue -> not
Aerosmith -> classic rock
Joy Division -> not

etc.

Motley Crue is on classic rock. Mainly Girls Girls Girls... there are others. You know how classic rock stations are... the same songs every hour.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 4, 2015 16:13

LeonidP
bitusa2012
Still Life sounded, and still does to me, the worst live record I have ever heard ANYONE officially release....
I agree ... I had the hampton show on vinyl before Still Life was ever released and it was/is awesome. It sounds fantastic. Still Life was a terrible disappointment to me, after having heard the bootleg.

You guys are brutal. I was talking about dynamic range.

Handsome Girls is my all time favorite. It decimates this recording in every way. Every single instrument is mixed better, well defined and compression is "just right". Fonda, on the other hand, is so incredibly compressed it is difficult to enjoy.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: July 4, 2015 16:23

Rolling Stones Radio Hour/Sticky Fingers Live
from Rolling Stones Radio HourLength: 1:00:43

A complete listen to the 10 tracks from Sticky Fingers recoded live at the Fonda Theater during the Stones' warm up gig in LA prior to the start of the Zip Code Tour in May 2015. Bernard Fowler's cover of Can't You Hear Me Knocking (with Chuck D) from his new release The Bura is also included.

[beta.prx.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-04 16:25 by Lien.

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: July 4, 2015 17:07

If we're talking American radio formats,'Satisfaction' & 'You Really Got Me' are 'classic rock', yet Beatles songs of that vintage are 'Oldies'. Only later period Beatles would fit into the 'classic rock' category.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 4, 2015 17:34

Lien
Rolling Stones Radio Hour/Sticky Fingers Live
from Rolling Stones Radio HourLength: 1:00:43

A complete listen to the 10 tracks from Sticky Fingers recoded live at the Fonda Theater during the Stones' warm up gig in LA prior to the start of the Zip Code Tour in May 2015. Bernard Fowler's cover of Can't You Hear Me Knocking (with Chuck D) from his new release The Bura is also included.

[beta.prx.org]

thumbs up

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: July 4, 2015 17:53

DandelionPowderman
Bastion

He might not be very good with words but he does have a point. DP does have a tendency to try and impose his view as fact.

Date: July 4, 2015 18:11

2000man
If we're talking American radio formats,'Satisfaction' & 'You Really Got Me' are 'classic rock', yet Beatles songs of that vintage are 'Oldies'. Only later period Beatles would fit into the 'classic rock' category.

Yeah 1965, 1966 seems to be when the first songs fitting that format/genre appeared but I would argue that Drive My Car from Rubber Soul fits too.

But since this is a Stones board I'm willing to accept the assertion the The Stones started the whole format/genre with Satisfaction.

Thank you Lien for that link to the SF Live broadcast!! Sweet. I think it's indeed a great performance. Sister Morphine is pretty amazing. Ronnies captured the feel of Sister Morphine really well, dark and dirty, I think I like it better than the original. I'm surprised Dandie hasn't pointed out that Keith pulls off his Spanish guitar run at the end (20:29).

I can only imagine just how great this show was for the audience!! You lucky dogs. They should definitely consider doing this SF set again, although now that it is released I get the feeling the chance of it being revisited are pretty slim. But what a treat to us fans this is, more than makes up for the very limited fan access to the show, thank you Stones.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 15 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1855
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home