Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 20
Re: Sticky Fingers Live (Fonda Theatre 2015) officially on i-tunes
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 2, 2015 20:38

DandelionPowderman
Do you think this release is light on guitars? CYHMK, S, BS, SM, YGM, B?

Don't know about the release but to say this tour is light on guitars is a huge stretch, imo. Yeah Keith plays less than he did years ago and Ronnie plays more to compensate but the guitars have been loud and dominant for just about every song, imo.

I do however agree with powerage78 that the backing vocals could be handled a bit better, more Bernard in true support of Micks singing and less Lisa in general. The vocal "mixes" are so important to the records but seem to get less attention than needed for the shows.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 2, 2015 21:22

YES I do.

DandelionPowderman
powerage78
So true and obvious Drake, THE Rolling Stones syndrom since 1998...

Invasive backing vocals, 2 keyboardS now, to compensate lack of guitar playing in the mix.

drake

EXACTLY. I think most people really don't care though. A great comparison is to listen to Still Life and then the official Hampton 81 release. Hampton has louder bass and the whole mix fights itself due to heavy compression. Guitars are also thinner. Still Life, on the other hand only sounds better the louder you turn it up, because of dynamic range.

The Fonda gig is so dang compressed it is impossible for me to enjoy. Each instrument is fighting itself. There are plenty of other things too... like the "SUGAR!!!" backup stuff on Brown Sugar. During that part the guitars should just be blazing away with backup singers distant in the mix. Instead, bass and vocals are heavy in the mix, and guitars are fighting to be heard.

On the positive, the performance is solid. I think I'd enjoy it quite a bit more if it weren't for the loudness war. Who knows what the original mix sounded like. It might have been good initially.

My thought is that Jagger has given the green light for Darryl's bass to take up a wider area of the soundscape in order to compensate for any bum notes or lack of playing. I'd far rather he be mixed at the right volume. The problem is NOT Darryl. He's great. The problem is the mix. If anyone needs confirmation they can just listen to The Last Time for the Newark PPV gig. Darryl is louder than the whole band. Sound guy on that gig had NO idea how to mix this band.

If only their FOH engineer was on the console for this release.

Do you think this release is light on guitars? CYHMK, S, BS, SM, YGM, B?

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: fela ()
Date: July 2, 2015 22:42

a listening...like it, especially because this unique stones deep soul is there (back)....very moving

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: July 2, 2015 22:44

flacnvinyl
Regarding Still Life, I am just comparing the old original vinyl release to the Hampton 81 recent re-release. Just the modern 'master the heck out of this thing so that people will bad sound systems hear the bass' technique.

Back in the day, I remember being disappointed that Still Life sounded speeded up a fraction compared to the boots of Hampton that I'd been listing to up until that time (I was there both nights).

HBK

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: July 3, 2015 00:36

Cristiano Radtke
I don't remember having such joy with a new live recording since the release of Some Girls in Texas.

It's a joy indeed listening to them! They play very very good. I think MJ&RW are excellent. CW under par or a bit flat strange enough. But timing and arrangements and their level of play are admirable and makes me proud of this band. And KD really deserves a compliment for playing so well like on BS & CYHMK...BK will be proud of him!

And Cristiano: multo obrigado amigo!

Posted by: kdsalter ()
Date: July 3, 2015 04:43

bonddm
I'm definitely a Taylorite,but Ronnie was absolutely on fire on this gig.
The performance is so good, I'll happily double-dip if/when they release it again in other formats!

I am a Taylorite, too. But I was at this show and, as the recording indicates, Ron Wood was absolutely brilliant on everything (except CYHMK). After 40 years I guess I can finally get used to the idea of him in the Rolling Stones. But seriously, this show sounded as good in person as it does on the recording. The highlight for me was Sister Morphine -- absolute magic.

I miss the other songs that were played. All Down the Line and JJF were particularly strong. I'm looking forward to the DVD too. My daughter and I were interviewed, talking about the song Brown Sugar, in a documentary style production before the show in the Fonda.

Date: July 3, 2015 04:48

Stoneburst
A couple of initial thoughts:

1) Sister Morphine is absolutely brilliant, some of the best slide work I've ever heard from Ronnie. There's no point comparing it to the original because he and Ry Cooder are totally different players - the important thing is that it's unmistakably Wood playing, it's instantly recognisable as such. That sort of personality is what I and others have often felt was lacking in his playing with the Stones, so it's great to hear.
2) The stop-start weaving thing on CYHMK weirded me out when I first listened, but now I kind of like it.
3) Sway's still a bit of a mess.

Yep. Sister Morphine was one of the best moments I have ever experienced musically. Transformational, almost out of body type experience. And, yeah, Ronnie brought it home. Brilliant, I agree.

Date: July 3, 2015 05:05

gotdablouse
Fantastic album ! Sounds almost "too good", but they technically had little time to mess with it so...Now I do wonder why Denson'solo in CYHMk is so groovy here and rather "pedestrian" in the shows?

I don't think we've heard from any of the lucky Fonda guests yet, how does the recording sound compared to what you remember? I suppose that all of Mick's erased comments must be the biggest difference.

I was at the show (I wrote the review on IORR). This recording does a good job of proving what I thought at the time --- that this show was probably one of the best of their entire career. It gave me a great respect for RW, and sounded as good in person as it does on this recording.

JJF was absolutely killer, I can't wait for the rest of the show to be released.

Date: July 3, 2015 09:26

kdsalter
bonddm
The performance is so good, I'll happily double-dip if/when they release it again in other formats!

I am a Taylorite, too. But I was at this show and, as the recording indicates, Ron Wood was absolutely brilliant on everything (except CYHMK). After 40 years I guess I can finally get used to the idea of him in the Rolling Stones. But seriously, this show sounded as good in person as it does on the recording. The highlight for me was Sister Morphine -- absolute magic.

I miss the other songs that were played. All Down the Line and JJF were particularly strong. I'm looking forward to the DVD too. My daughter and I were interviewed, talking about the song Brown Sugar, in a documentary style production before the show in the Fonda.

CYHMK was brilliant, too.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 3, 2015 09:49

HouseBoyKnows
flacnvinyl
Regarding Still Life, I am just comparing the old original vinyl release to the Hampton 81 recent re-release. Just the modern 'master the heck out of this thing so that people will bad sound systems hear the bass' technique.

Back in the day, I remember being disappointed that Still Life sounded speeded up a fraction compared to the boots of Hampton that I'd been listing to up until that time (I was there both nights).

HBK

Still Life sounded, and still does to me, the worst live record I have ever heard ANYONE officially release. It's the one Stones record I NEVER play.

I LIKE the songs, and some playing is nice, The vocals are awful and the SOUND of it simply atrocious.

The Hampton Archive thingy bought back terrible memories....

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: July 3, 2015 09:51

kdsalter
bonddm

I am a Taylorite, too. But I was at this show and, as the recording indicates, Ron Wood was absolutely brilliant on everything (except CYHMK).
In the past I feel Ronnie has been too deferential to MT's original solo when playing CYHMK.
On this version he just let's rip from the get-go,IMO.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: July 3, 2015 10:10

This ''Itunes-mastered'' release is really bad on you ears listening with headphones unless you lower the mid frequencies and some treble, I did it with VLC while listening which makes it sound ok.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-03 10:12 by EasterMan.

Date: July 3, 2015 10:33

EasterMan
This ''Itunes-mastered'' release is really bad on you ears listening with headphones unless you lower the mid frequencies and some treble, I did it with VLC while listening which makes it sound ok.

Well, it's mastered for listening through the iTunes player...

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: July 3, 2015 10:38

DandelionPowderman
EasterMan

For people who's walking around on the street with loud traffic nearby? Then I can understand the need for this painfully loud mastering but for anyone sitting at home with good headphones it's awful. sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-03 10:40 by EasterMan.

Date: July 3, 2015 10:56

EasterMan
DandelionPowderman
EasterMan

For people who's walking around on the street with loud traffic nearby? Then I can understand the need for this painfully loud mastering but for anyone sitting at home with good headphones it's awful. sad smiley

I thought it was ok, especially since many of the songs were performed very dynamically, sound-wise. A song like SM works splendidly, while Sway is loud all the time. There are many quiet ones in there...

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 3, 2015 16:17

What ive heard, i liked it. Not listened to it in its full complexity yet.
Jeroen

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: July 3, 2015 18:50

Tonstone
Just listened through for the 2nd time - This is wonderful to my ears - Brickwalled ? - Stonewalled ? - well this @#$%& rocks.If you can tell of a better performance from 2000 on then I would love to know and why.When I heard this I was almost having hair stand on the back of my neck. I never thought I would hear this as good again.

Yes, that is fantastic!
Better performance after 2000?
Jagger was even better at Circus Krone 2003, where he didn't save his voice.
But who cares!
Lets enjoy this unexpected great new Live Album!!

Date: July 3, 2015 19:28

DandelionPowderman
EasterMan

iTunes actually promotes it's own "mastered for iTunes" process and certifies engineers and songs which comply with the process (Mfit), but strangely it has little to do with the mastering process itself.

As I understand it, the process just specifies that the file start as 24/96 or higher and that the loudest peak is attenuated down a couple dB to prevent clipping of material as part of the AAC/Mpeg processing. So basically any master can be specified as mastered for iTunes and following the specs just helps with the encoding.

But to be clear it has nothing to do with the player. Just a few specs to ensure the data compression they use doesn't hurt the music. I doubt this process affects what EasterMan is hearing or the overall poor dynamic range of the release.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 3, 2015 19:35

I've got the Sticky Fingers Deluxe to absorb. The Blu Ray Marquee, and soon the Blu Ray Hyde Park. I think I can hold off on getting this until the fall when we probably get the whole concert on Blu Ray and there won't be this brickwalling problem.

Date: July 3, 2015 19:53

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
EasterMan

iTunes actually promotes it's own "mastered for iTunes" process and certifies engineers and songs which comply with the process (Mfit), but strangely it has little to do with the mastering process itself.

As I understand it, the process just specifies that the file start as 24/96 or higher and that the loudest peak is attenuated down a couple dB to prevent clipping of material as part of the AAC/Mpeg processing. So basically any master can be specified as mastered for iTunes and following the specs just helps with the encoding.

But to be clear it has nothing to do with the player. Just a few specs to ensure the data compression they use doesn't hurt the music. I doubt this process affects what EasterMan is hearing or the overall poor dynamic range of the release.

I was joking about the player smiling smiley

But I think this one sounds way better than some of the other "official bootleg" digital releases.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-03 19:55 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: July 3, 2015 20:00

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
EasterMan

I was joking smiling smiley

No worries, then I'm going to assume you were also joking when you said Beatles, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and The Eagles weren't classic rock. Otherwise I might be getting a bit worried about you and maybe just assuming things are very different in Norway. grinning smiley

Anyway I am close to breaking down and just downloading this one. Just for Sister Morphine if nothing else.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: July 3, 2015 20:15

bitusa2012
HouseBoyKnows
flacnvinyl

HBK

Still Life sounded, and still does to me, the worst live record I have ever heard ANYONE officially release. It's the one Stones record I NEVER play.

I LIKE the songs, and some playing is nice, The vocals are awful and the SOUND of it simply atrocious.

The Hampton Archive thingy bought back terrible memories....
I could not agree more. I hated that record. Worst Stones tour of all time. Worst song selection. As my ex-wife used to say it sounded as if they were playing every song as fast as they could just to get out of there. And the most ridiculous costumes, the lemon yellow football pants, the cherry picker, the thing with the scarfs during Tumbling Dice. That was the low point of live Stones tours that I have seen.

Date: July 3, 2015 20:24

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
EasterMan

I was joking smiling smiley

No worries, then I'm going to assume you were also joking when you said Beatles, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and The Eagles weren't classic rock. Otherwise I might be getting a bit worried about you and maybe just assuming things are very different in Norway. grinning smiley

Anyway I am close to breaking down and just downloading this one. Just for Sister Morphine if nothing else.

Classic rock is a musical genre in which exactly zero of those bands belonged to the last time I checked smiling smiley

Download it. You won't regret it. I Got The Blues is my favourite.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 3, 2015 20:58

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust

Download it. You won't regret it. I Got The Blues is my favourite.

Sorry for abruptly entering the discussion smiling smiley But... You will regret it if you need to install iTunes on your computer... as it's just one of the worst program to remove from any computer. I did it once not twice smiling smiley
As for me I'll be waiting for a wider digital release or for the physical release.

Date: July 3, 2015 21:06

It's not difficult at all, but you got to remove QuickTime as well.

Date: July 3, 2015 21:13

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust

Classic rock is a musical genre in which exactly zero of those bands belonged to the last time I checked smiling smiley

confused smiley OK Now I am worried. Let me refer you to a couple sources which define the term and the artists associated with them. The bands mentioned are at the top of the heap. Perhaps things are different in Norway?

[en.wikipedia.org]

[rateyourmusic.com]

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 3, 2015 21:20

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Naturalust

confused smiley OK Now I am worried. Let me refer you to a couple sources which define the term and the artists associated with them. The bands mentioned are at the top of the heap. Perhaps things are different in Norway?

[en.wikipedia.org]

[rateyourmusic.com]

Ever so slightly off-topic?

This is exhausting guys; the same argument raging in two unrelated threads.

I can't wait to see how it's resolved, though.

Olly.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: July 3, 2015 21:22

DP is constantly fighting for his own opinion to be the ONE TRUE FACT for everything smiling smiley

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 3, 2015 22:10

I've listened to it on my Ipod with various types of headpones while walking around NYC, riding the bus, taking the train, running in the park and sitting on my terrace. I think it sounds great for what it is. Some times I think music is like food. I despise asparagus but I don't fault others because to them it tastes good. But I am a simple man.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 3, 2015 22:59

DandelionPowderman
It's not difficult at all, but you got to remove QuickTime as well.

...Just 4 programs to remove + hundreds (thousands?) of files here and there : Completely Remove iTunes from a Windows Computer

Like I said above I did it once but won't do it twice smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1117
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home