Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

slightly OT - Attn: Musicians - how many degrees of separation from jamming with the Stones?
Posted by: josepi ()
Date: June 27, 2015 06:24

Hey fellow musicians....Similar to "the 6 degrees of separation" theory, how many degrees of separation are you from jamming with the Stones?

ex: I'm 5 degrees away using two different routes:

Me (jammed several times with Matt N.)
Matt N.(guitarist for Ronald Koal & the Trillionaires, auditioned for Chris Isaak)
Chris Isaak
Jim Keltner (was on Isaak's Silvertone album, and played for Little Villiage)
Ry Cooder (played for Little Villiage)
Stones

Me (jammed several times with Bill H. - local drummer)
Bill H. (played 2 songs with Pure Prairie League in a reunion show)
Pure Prairie League (Craig Fuller was a co-founder)
Little Feat (Craig Fuller also played with Little Feat)
Linda Ronstadt (on Little Feat's 1st lp)
Stones

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-27 06:37 by josepi.

Re: slightly OT - Attn: Musicians - how many degrees of separation from jamming with the Stones?
Posted by: BostonLass ()
Date: June 27, 2015 07:41

I'm not a musician, really, but

1. I (taught my son, who later became an accomplished musician, how to play guitar)
2. He (once jammed with Christine Ohlman)
3. Christine Ohlman (has played with Ian McLagan, Ry Cooder, Bruce Springsteen, George Harrison, Taj Mahal, & maybe others? who have played with the Stones, and she jammed with Ron Wood at the 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction ceremony, and she has recorded with Andrew Loog Oldham)
4. All of whom have played (or produced) with
5. the Rolling Stones

I think that's a 5

Re: slightly OT - Attn: Musicians - how many degrees of separation from jamming with the Stones?
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 27, 2015 07:44

If bobby keys counts then 3 if not then 4

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: June 27, 2015 08:23

1. I play with Terry "Big T" DeRouen
2. Terry was in BB King's band.
3. B.B. opened for the Stones in 1969.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 27, 2015 09:49

1.I used to hang out and occasionally play guitar (and smoke weed) with my friends the Rotter brothers.
2.Lester Butler also hung out at the Rotters and jammed with them all the time.
3.Lester Butler went on to play harmonica with The Red Devils.
4.The Red Devils recorded an album with Mick Jagger - still officially unreleased.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 27, 2015 10:10

1. My band of friends with day jobs have backed a singer friend of ours
2. Our singer friend was a backup singer for Allen Toussaint at NO Jazzfest.
3. Allen Toussaint produced the Meters.
4. Meters drummer Zigaboo played with Keith and Ronnie in New Barbarians.

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: June 27, 2015 11:37

1. Play bass in a local Glasgow band with drummer
2. Who played in a band in Glasgow in the 70s which featured trumpet player Roddy Lorimer.
3. Who played brass on some Stones tracks in the late 80s.

I'm just an amateur player, though have been semi-pro and only 3 degrees from the Stones due to Roddy.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 27, 2015 21:17

I'm hanging out tonight with Dave Mason who played on Beggars Banquet.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: July 4, 2015 00:07

tatters

How is he doing? He was around and central to so much in the mid- to late-60s London music scene. Friends with the Beatles, at early Hendrix recording sessions (with Brian), Cream, Traffic, Fleetwood Mac, on and on. Not to mention his own career. And did you play with him or hang in some other capacity?

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 4, 2015 00:10

Played with Jimmy Miller, likely his last jam... Played with Ronnie when I was a studio receptionist during an all nighter. Was told by Keith once.. "You play good man."

Date: July 4, 2015 00:13

DoomandGloom
Played with Jimmy Miller, likely his last jam... Played with Ronnie when I was a studio receptionist during an all nighter. Was told by Keith once.. "You play good man."

interesting. am i remembering wrong or were you the one who said it took you a while to appreciate jimmy miller as a producer? were his skills not obvious when you met him? i'm not challenging you, just curious as to how he came off. he seems enigmatic to me, he clearly was important but little is said or known about him.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 4, 2015 04:01

tatters

Are you doing that VIP meet and greet in Michigan? ? Sounded cool!

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: July 4, 2015 04:06

That's some heady company mentioned..I can't compete,
But the only stones show I missed was the night when my band opened up for Flacco Jimenez and his band, who played with the Stones on Sweethearts Forever..
My friend was pissed because he had to take his mom instead. It was the same night and I decided that was a degree of separation that thrilled me.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 4, 2015 04:08

Turner68
DoomandGloom

interesting. am i remembering wrong or were you the one who said it took you a while to appreciate jimmy miller as a producer? were his skills not obvious when you met him? i'm not challenging you, just curious as to how he came off. he seems enigmatic to me, he clearly was important but little is said or known about him.
the Jimmy I knew was towards the end of his days. He had only kind loving words for The Stones. Was he a hands on producer? In his day he was a record company liaison, assigned projects and he was trusted with the best. The keyboard sounds on John Barlycorn are some of the richest I have heard. He was a great percussionist many of the best producers started as drummers. I could easily see why he was trusted with the best albums.

Date: July 4, 2015 04:55

DoomandGloom
Turner68
DoomandGloom

the Jimmy I knew was towards the end of his days. He had only kind loving words for The Stones. Was he a hands on producer? In his day he was a record company liaison, assigned projects and he was trusted with the best. The keyboard sounds on John Barlycorn are some of the richest I have heard. He was a great percussionist many of the best producers started as drummers. I could easily see why he was trusted with the best albums.

thank you for sharing.

Posted by: Freejack ()
Date: July 4, 2015 11:34

smoking smiley
one love

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: July 4, 2015 14:54

1. A very short jam with Chris Kramer (harp) ages ago, me not contributing very much
2. Mick Tylor played on Chris Kramers recordings
3. Stones

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 4, 2015 19:07

whitem8
tatters

Are you doing that VIP meet and greet in Michigan? ? Sounded cool!

Yeah. It was at the Ark, where we saw Simon Townshend. Sound check, meet and greet, merchandise, and a front row seat, all for the price of an average Rolling Stones grandstand ticket. Not bad. cool smiley

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-04 19:15 by tatters.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 4, 2015 20:08

Good grief - banning a fine poster like swiss for talking about ice cream (which we were all enjoying)... Yes, somehing is definitely going on

Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: July 4, 2015 20:09

Green Lady
Good grief - banning a fine poster like swiss for talking about ice cream (which we were all enjoying)... Yes, somehing is definitely going on

Don't mention it, or you might wind up being next... sad smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1937
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home