Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: did Keith write the best song in the world with Gimme Shelter
Date: June 24, 2015 15:37

gotdablouse
Took me a while to get it (first heard it as a kid on Rolled Gold) but yeah it's got it all even now, so when it first came out and rock'n'roll still "meant" something...

As a side note it's great to see Keith playing it well again these days after the shambolic versions of 2012/2013 and even 2014. Not at the level of 97 of course but as close as we'll get and we don't take it for granted anymore that he can nail it with his eyes closed.

The funny thing is that the intro / riff Keith played in 1969 when he recorded it is way easier to play than the one he does today..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-24 15:37 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 24, 2015 16:45

It IS the best song. Ever. By anyone.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 24, 2015 17:38

Rokyfan
I agree with you that Gimme Shelter is the Stones'greatest work and the greatest single rock song in history, however subjective that is.

The legend is that the guitar work was created by Keith, layer by layer, in the studio as Mick filmed Performance, which included making love to Anita (in the film). The song was Keith's way of letting off steam.

Mick must have done the lyrics, though, no?

well its encouraging that so many love this song. someone once said its the sound of heroin. personally i would not know, and im not going to find out any time soon. its one of those songs you cant get bored of.
Rokyfan i was not aware that Mick did the lyrics, i thought this sounded like keith lyrics. can some one correct me if i'm wrong..

Posted by: Lipsgogreen ()
Date: June 24, 2015 17:47

I do know. I would say it sounds an awful lot like heroin addiction.

Mad bull done lost its way. Its just a shot away.

WAR CHILDREN.

I don't recommend heroin/opiate addiction to anyone. That being said Keith understands completely.

Thanks.

Tim

Date: June 24, 2015 17:50

Lipsgogreen

WAR CHILDREN.

I don't recommend heroin/opiate addiction to anyone. That being said Keith understands completely.

Thanks.

Tim

thankyou thumbs up

Date: June 24, 2015 17:54

keefriffhards
Lipsgogreen

WAR CHILDREN.

Thanks.

Tim

thankyou thumbs up

sorry lipsgogreen i did not mean thumbs up to heroin addiction. i meant thanks for your comment. cheers bud

Date: June 24, 2015 20:27

TooTough
It IS the best song. Ever. By anyone.

well if you put it like that. alright then lol thumbs up cool TooTough

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: June 24, 2015 22:27

Well - all that needs to been said - is already up there:

The best Stones sond, in my opinion - definetly when it comes to a studio version. Never dropped out of my playlist. What was said about it in 1969: it caught the spirit of that time - sometimes I think, when witnessing events such as the Syrian civil war nowdays, that had it been written these days, it would have made a hit just to the same extent. Regardless of the differences in musical tastes - it still catch up.

It still incorporates very well into movies and documetries as well. I believe it was a BBC program about the "Rivers of blood" speach by the late Enoch Powell that had the song along the entry - and you could still feel history rolling.

The live versions post 1989 (I understand it went totally missing between 1976-82) are great when you are in the crowd. Would have been greatly disapointed had it been left out. Still - they pretty much repeat themselvs (in each tour) to an annoying extent when you are in the "youtube" seats - not in the hall/Stadium. Same body jestures by Mick, Lisa and Keith - same intro. But then thats the price of having the almost live documentation of concerts.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 24, 2015 22:47

Lipsgogreen

WAR CHILDREN.

Thanks.

Tim

It's about heroin, an actual London storm and of course the storm in Keiths mind and heart. He had to be on smack to survive a betrayal. I can also easily imagine how he heard I don't know why by Wonder and felt like the title of the song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-24 22:47 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: June 25, 2015 00:27

Redhotcarpet
Lipsgogreen

WAR CHILDREN.

Thanks.

Tim

It's about heroin, an actual London storm and of course the storm in Keiths mind and heart. He had to be on smack to survive a betrayal. I can also easily imagine how he heard I don't know why by Wonder and felt like the title of the song.

I completely understand Gimme Shelter from the addict's point of view. Unless you have been there, you have no idea how incredibly on Keith is about smack. We know this sh-t deep in the soul.

I"M A MONKEE MAN!!!

Thanks.

Tim

Date: June 25, 2015 00:37

Lipsgogreen
Redhotcarpet
Lipsgogreen

WAR CHILDREN.

Thanks.

Tim

I completely understand Gimme Shelter from the addict's point of view. Unless you have been there, you have no idea how incredibly on Keith is about smack. We know this sh-t deep in the soul.

I"M A MONKEE MAN!!!

any addicts on here. i recently quite drinking after basically getting pissed too often for 34 years. its good to be back. but god i'm going to miss it..
Thanks.

Tim

Date: June 25, 2015 00:44

I did not write the "any addicts on here" part of that post. I don't want to get into a big to do over addiction. Just talking about Gimme Shelter.

That's All.

Thanks.

Tim

Date: June 25, 2015 00:53

keefriffhards
Lipsgogreen
Redhotcarpet
Lipsgogreen

WAR CHILDREN.

Thanks.

Tim

I"M A MONKEE MAN!!!

any addicts on here. i recently quit drinking after basically getting pissed too often for 34 years. its good to be back. but god i'm going to miss it..
Thanks.

Tim

Date: June 25, 2015 00:56

keefriffhards
keefriffhards
Lipsgogreen
Redhotcarpet
Lipsgogreen

WAR CHILDREN.

Thanks.

Tim

I"M A MONKEE MAN!!!

any addicts on here. i recently quit drinking after basically getting pissed too often for 34 years. its good to be back. but god i'm going to miss it..
Thanks.

Tim

sorry dude i wrote it above where you sign out by mistake. is it a touchy subject should i edit it out..

Date: June 25, 2015 01:04

dont worry man you can see i posted it. i just felt like talking, don't want to upset anyone on iorr. won't bring it up again sorry

Date: June 25, 2015 03:22

Everything is cool Mr. Riffhards. I get it. You quit drinking and you feel like you lost a friend. Maybe you should start a "Waiting on A Friend" thread. That way you can stay on topic.

Don't go looking for no virgin priest.

Thanks.

Tim

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: June 25, 2015 03:38

studio version is the best song in the history of rock music - 100% perfection!
never heard a live version that came even close to the lp-track.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 25, 2015 03:58

No doubt Keith was probably high on heroin when he wrote GS, he was in Robert Frasers apt. after all....but was the song about heroin? I seriously don't think so. At that point in his use of the drug it was a harmless warm blanket not a mad bull or any of the other dark sentiments expressed in the song.

Keith talks about writing the song and specifically says "My thought was storms on other people's minds, not mine. It just happened to hit the moment." He describes watching people struggling with an actual weather storm. Other elements like the Vietnam war crept into it too.

Yeah the Stones have a few drug songs but this isn't one of them. People who are into drugs tend to find drug references in just about everything. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 25, 2015 04:46

keefriffhards
its my fav stones song. its my fav song in the world..
it was written at his peak of his powers. i cant go a day without listening to it on various live shows.
its my desert Island disk. what's yours ??

Shelter grates on me. The Stones exemplar is Jumping Jack Flash. I never get tired of it. Same with LA Woman by the Doors.
J J Flash is a Keith song in my book. The riffing makes it. Though Jaggers lyrics and singing are as good as it gets especially in the studio version. Me and my friends used to debate what it was about. Our conclusion was shooting heroin and getting a flash. Probably mistaken. I still don't know what it is about except that he was born in a crossfire hurricane. Whatever that is.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 25, 2015 05:04

GROOVY BOB -- The Life and Times of Robert Fraser - Harriet Vyner

ROCKMAN

Posted by: pricepittsburgh ()
Date: June 25, 2015 06:13

The fact that it's on the same album as YCAGWYW and that one opens and one closes, makes Let it Bleed, maybe the best album for an opener and closer ever.

Posted by: Rstonesfan81 ()
Date: June 25, 2015 06:26

Hello everyone been reading on here many years first time posting anything just want to say i have always loved this one for me personally has to be my number one there isnt any other like by anyone it is beautiful and haunting i have to play it loud but i have many others favorites from every decade from the 60s til now i love the older and the newer songs

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: June 25, 2015 07:37

dcba
Don't laugh but the Grand Funk Railroad played excellent version of GS in concert...

I believe it. Listen to the opening to "American Band", before the verses, and listen to the chorus. I won't call it a rip off, cuz it's a simple little chord progression, but based on the sound, it sounds distinctly like they had GS in their minds.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 25, 2015 08:23

Naturalust
No doubt Keith was probably high on heroin when he wrote GS, he was in Robert Frasers apt. after all....but was the song about heroin? I seriously don't think so. At that point in his use of the drug it was a harmless warm blanket not a mad bull or any of the other dark sentiments expressed in the song.

Keith talks about writing the song and specifically says "My thought was storms on other people's minds, not mine. It just happened to hit the moment." He describes watching people struggling with an actual weather storm. Other elements like the Vietnam war crept into it too.

Yeah the Stones have a few drug songs but this isn't one of them. People who are into drugs tend to find drug references in just about everything. eye rolling smiley

what a songwriter says a song is about is not usually what it is really about.

Date: June 25, 2015 08:55

Naturalust

correct. of all the posters you seem the most insightful. yes in 69 he was new to heroin. the point i made was not that the lyrics or the song was about heroin, but that the song is the sound of heroin. that's what people have said. as i say i would not know, drink is my thing. part of the fascination with the stones when i got into them was the drugs. sorry to be politically incorrect but most of the good stuff was written on them. a lot or what the stones and rock and roll was and is about includes drink and drugs . surely its ok to talk about them or is big brother watching here as well as everywhere else. that would be a shame.

Date: June 25, 2015 08:57

Rstonesfan81
Hello everyone been reading on here many years first time posting anything just want to say i have always loved this one for me personally has to be my number one there isnt any other like by anyone it is beautiful and haunting i have to play it loud but i have many others favorites from every decade from the 60s til now i love the older and the newer songs

cool Rstonesfan81 good to here it thumbs upsmileys with beer

Date: June 25, 2015 09:01

Lipsgogreen
Everything is cool Mr. Riffhards. I get it. You quit drinking and you feel like you lost a friend. Maybe you should start a "Waiting on A Friend" thread. That way you can stay on topic.

Don't go looking for no virgin priest.

Thanks.

Tim

no. i gave up drink and i found life again. its beautiful. i should of tried it years ago. don't assume you know me Tim

thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-05 22:17 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: June 25, 2015 09:18

No, it is not. But that is because there is no such thing as The Best Song In The World. It is a matter of taste and personal opinion, not something you can measure and scientifically compare. BUT I think that even most people who are not The Rolling Stones fans would admit it is a brilliant song. That is what it is - one of the best rock songs ever written. My opinion :-)

Date: June 25, 2015 10:19

brings this to mind lol
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 25, 2015 10:23

When I got the Let it Bleed album as a kid, a few weeks after seeing the Stones for the first time, I couldn't get last playing the introduction of Gimme Shelter. I listened the intro before allowing the needle to continue into the song maybe twenty times. Though there's some obviously stiff competition, and it might be quite my favorite song, I think Gimme Shelter is the greatest record in the canon of rock music.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2184
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home