Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rolling Stones fans are the luckiest in rock
Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: June 23, 2015 04:58

We Rolling Stones fans are so incredibly lucky.

They're alive:
Brian Jones, Ian Stewart and Bobby Keys will always be missed, but it's amazing to me that so many former and current Stones are still alive. My second favorite band is the Ramones, and every single original member is now dead. I think of that every single time I think of the Stones, and am so grateful that they're still around. Even if they were living out their lives in (well-deserved) retirement, I'd be so happy simply knowing that they were alive and hopefully well.

They're together:
Look at how many bands couldn't make it work for years, much less decades. Now consider the Rolling Stones, who have managed to stay together for half a century and counting. The personal tensions, drugs, money, ego, and just plain getting sick of people after a while, tears apart so many relationships, big and small. You'd be hard pressed to find another collection of individuals who could stay together after so much time.

They're currently playing at such a high level:
Audiences today might be more critical than music fans of the past, but it just goes to show you how great the Stones are playing. You really have to nitpick in order to find any significant flaws. Their musical ability can stand up to even the harshest of critics and they still put on a solid, passionate, entertaining show, that is professional but never businesslike.

They still love to play music together:
I noted above that the fact that they're currently together at all as one amazing thing that we fans are lucky for. The fact that they're also apparently honestly enjoying playing music is a whole other thing IMHO. Maybe it's all an act, but it sure seems that the Rolling Stones genuinely enjoy playing live with each other and for a crowd. There's no attitude, no sense that they're bored or going through the motions. They seem grateful, happy, and present. They feed off the energy of the crowd, and they seem to want to be there. To me, that's a very special thing.

Stones fans like the Stones and each other:
For the most part, I'd say. smiling smiley Now, we can be rough and tumble at times. Rolling Stones fans are usually friendly but can also be tough customers too. We're not all Angels. But seriously, I recently became interested in KISS, and judging from social media, I can't describe the level of discord among their fans and animosity that many have for the current lineup of the band, including the two remaining founding members. We Stones fans may have little disagreements among ourselves from time to time about Mick Taylor, but I believe no true Stones fan viciously hates Ron Wood and passionately resents Mick, Keith, and Charlie for having Ronnie in the band, as would be if we were parallel to KISS. For a rock music fan to harbor such deep resentment against their favorite band and fellow fans is very sad. I'm grateful that Stones fans don't have to deal with that kind of unnecessary and negative drama.

Half a century of kick ass music:
Looking back on all the songs in the Stones catalog, it's astounding to see so much range and such an elevated level of quality. Blues, ballads, country, funk, disco, reggae, and of course, rock and roll. There are excellent examples of songs in almost every musical genre. I believe that some of their original compositions alone rank them among the finest songwriters in history.

Our favorite rock and roll band just happens to be the World's Greatest:
Sure, this title is entirely subjective, arbitrary, and ultimately meaningless. Even I will recognize the greatness of the Beatles. But... (dramatic pause) if one considers the Beatles a pop music band, and readily acknowledges them as the greatest pop band ever, then the title of world's greatest rock and roll band is still up for dispute, and the Rolling Stones are undeniably in contention for that title. I think any rock fan would acknowledge this, even if they personally championed another band.

Astounding bootleg availability:
Twenty years ago, I used to go to used record shops and buy expensive cassettes of 4th generation bootleg taped Rolling Stones concerts from years ago. The tapes sounded terrible, with background hiss twice as loud as the music. but I'd still buy them whenever I could, listen intently, and try to absorb every note. Nowadays, not only can we get great first generation boots for free online in minutes, not only can we get YouTube videos from a concert almost immediately, now we have the ability to watch a show live via phone broadcast for free! It's absolutely mind blowing to even imagine that this is possible.

Consistent official live releases:
Again, we are so lucky that the Stones are so attentive and consistent about putting out live albums and concert videos tour after tour. I love the "From The Vault" series. While I'd personally love another studio album, the Stones continue to really be on the ball when it comes to distributing recordings of live concerts. Can't wait for the full Sticky Fingers show! grinning smiley

I'm sure I can come up with more reasons, but that's a lot of what has been going through my mind.

Thanks, BV. Having a site like this maintained by such a dedicated fan really benefits all of us other fans. It's just another lucky thing for us to have a great place like iorr.org to go and share our feelings about the Rolling Stones.

Re: Rolling Stones fans are the luckiest in rock
Posted by: RS ()
Date: June 23, 2015 05:00

I agree 100% of that all! Let's give a big thanks to BV for a this website!

-RS

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 23, 2015 05:10

Best post ever!

Posted by: relms ()
Date: June 23, 2015 05:11

Great post jahisnotdead,

I too am still delighted with this band and that is the only reason I still pay attention to them and visit and post a fan site about them. If I was half as angry as some folks around here seem to be about The Stones I would not spend a second even thinking about The Rolling Stones, but as it is, I am still very happy with The Rolling Stones and very excited to be looking forward to hearing another live show from them tomorrow night.

It is good days when the Stones are on tour and we can hear them playing live from 7000 miles away.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 23, 2015 05:29

I love The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: June 23, 2015 05:33

I love The Rolling Stones too..... and this site is my 'morning fix'

When it went offline a couple of weeks ago I wondered how we would all reconnect if BV decided to stop. sad smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 23, 2015 05:39

Very well said and agree completely.

And who would have ever thought that technology would have us in 2015.. watching Live Rolling Stones shows while posting comments with other fans in real time.

Amazing.

Posted by: portlandphil ()
Date: June 23, 2015 06:38

Well said jahisnotdead. Your passion for the music is from the heart. I enjoy reading your posts. Thank you Rolling Stones and thank you to bv and all here at IORR.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 23, 2015 06:43

What about people who need people ????????????? ....just askin'

ROCKMAN

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 23, 2015 06:57

I am so glad I got hooked on the Stones in 1971. I did have posters of Marc Bolan and T Rex, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Supertramp, Yes and a few other band in my teenager room that year too, but the Stones made a pact with me, we stay together as long as we are both around.

Bjornulf

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: June 23, 2015 07:16

I'm going to buy 100 scratch off tickets tomorrow to test this theory.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: June 23, 2015 07:28

NoCode0680

and I'm going to run 20 red lights in his honor.

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: June 23, 2015 08:11

great post!!
its lucky to be Stones fan...i think we are not gonna ageing in normal rhythm.
i feel myself so young every time when stones are touring.

Posted by: Lipsgogreen ()
Date: June 23, 2015 10:53

josepi
NoCode0680

Thank you Jesus. Thank you lord.

This is my basic message. I love The Stones. I live The Stones. Every era, lineup, album, song, performance, boot, interview...etc.

Thank God we have them live.

My next show is Raleigh.

See you there.

Thanks.

Tim

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 23, 2015 11:05

Yep i have been thinking the same thing for many years. its a dream band. we chose the right band didn't we lol thumbs up

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 23, 2015 11:32

Rockman
What about people who need people ????????????? ....just askin'

Posted by: Freejack ()
Date: June 23, 2015 12:00

Lipsgogreen
josepi
NoCode0680

Thank you Jesus. Thank you lord.

This is my basic message. I love The Stones. I live The Stones. Every era, lineup, album, song, performance, boot, interview...etc.

Thank God we have them live.
Jah bless the Rolling Stones and fans!
May the good lord shine a light on you.

Give thanks Jahisnotdead & BV

Posted by: RG ()
Date: June 23, 2015 12:02

Best post ever!

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: June 23, 2015 12:44

So I can call myself double lucky because Stones are my favourite band together with Bruce Springsteen, and Bruce has all of the above plus:

3 hour live shows

diverse setlists

released a couple of new studio albums within last decade

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: June 23, 2015 12:50

Another reason:
They are so good looking! (And ssssssoooo sexy winking smiley)

(Always took candy from strangers)

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: June 23, 2015 12:55

Great Thread!

Date: June 23, 2015 13:35

franzk
So I can call myself double lucky because Stones are my favourite band together with Bruce Springsteen, and Bruce has all of the above plus:

3 hour live shows

diverse setlists

released a couple of new studio albums within last decade

dude 3 hours plus of bruce springsteen would send me to sleep.

Date: June 23, 2015 13:41

3 hours plus of bruce springsteen would send me to sleep.

I'd change into a blue singlet, steal a Mack and drive it over a cliff ..

ROCKMAN

Date: June 23, 2015 13:47

Rockman
3 hours plus of bruce springsteen would send me to sleep.

I'd change into a blue singlet, steal a Mack and drive it over a cliff ..

he used to play for 4 hours. we are talking coma here !!

Date: June 23, 2015 13:51

4hrs!!!!!!.... In that case I'd drive to the cliff in reverse

ROCKMAN

Date: June 23, 2015 13:52

hehee

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: June 23, 2015 14:08

Totally agree with the sentiment of this post:

- we are all very lucky to have the Stones

- we are also lucky to have the dedication of BV

Date: June 23, 2015 14:12

True True True.
Blue Oyster Cult fans are lucky too!
As are JAMES BOND fans

Posted by: Lipsgogreen ()
Date: June 23, 2015 14:31

I will say it again... STONES STONES STONES STONES STONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its show day. Hot damn. We are so lucky as fans.

The Stones are on fire and rocking. Loudest Keith ever.

Not into anyone else. I ONLY listen to the STONES.

God Bless The Rolling Stones and all their fans.

When the sh-t hits the fan I' sittin on the can...

Thanks.

Tim

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: June 23, 2015 14:46

...Yes...we are ....!!! and with BV too..

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2032
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home