Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 18 of 19
Re: Pittsburgh PA USA 20-June-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 22, 2015 02:23

Pittsburgh reports are a bit delayed because I have some publication issues, but I managed to post a few pictures before I left Pittsburgh here:

[www.iorr.org]

Bjornulf

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 22, 2015 02:31

I just wanted to say how great the city of Pittsburgh was. People were great too.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: June 22, 2015 02:33

The sound quality of the show as heard from my assigned seat was pretty bad. So bad that it appeared the Stones were performing quite dismally. So bad that by the middle of All Down the Line my partner and I decided to find somewhere else to sit, and if we got kicked out of our new spot then i was ready to just up and leave irregardless of what my partner did. Before ADTL was over, we found a spot in an aisle along with several other folks of the same inclination. The sound there was absolutely FANTASTIC! The full spectrum, well-balanced. Up there with the best I have ever heard at a stadium show. The usher shooed us away, so we just moved about 20 feet until the next usher shooed us out. That went on until about Sympathy when the ushers gave up and just let us stay there. Everyone in the aisle was having a great time, the sound quality was outstanding, and we could all clearly hear that the band was in top-notch form nonwithstanding the usual minor flubs.

For Columbus, I had a great seat, but the sound quality was only marginally adequate if that. Way too trebly and muddy. Stayed put though because the view was pretty good.

Really, it just depends on where you're sitting.

I can not thank the people of Pittsburgh enough for their hospitality during my stay in town. IMO, the people from Pittsburgh and Columbus are the best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-22 02:34 by josepi.

Posted by: wilsoncrow ()
Date: June 22, 2015 03:02

Meant to post earlier, but I decided to go out and catch the Pirates game. Then they gave up 9 runs in the first inning. Yeah...

[*] The rain sucked. Especially since I didn't have a poncho and my friends all jumped in my car before I had a chance.

[*] I made the paper again. I'm Doug, my brother is Jerry, and at the end of the article they switched our quotes. I'm the one that said this wouldn't be the last time, so don't make me out to be the bad guy.

[triblive.com]

[*] I met someone from here, but I don't remember his user name. Sorry! He and his wife/girlfriend were very nice and it was great meeting someone from here.

[*] As for the show, it was awesome. Not gonna lie but I teared up when they did "Moonlight Mile". That was high on the list of songs I wanted to hear live. Overall, it was an incredible show, and all my friends that saw them for the first time last night said it was the best show they had ever seen.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 22, 2015 05:12

gotdablouse
Just when Keith is getting back to some decent playing (as in, hope he doesn't mess up again) although he sounded even better a couple of shows ago, Mick seems to be "losing" it somehow, he's been out of key for most of the first parts of GS for several shows now and Satisfaction was "off" in Pittsburgh (for whatever reason). I guess there are so many times in a row you can put up a great show when pretty much everything rests on your shoulders and you're pushing 72...

Maybe Mick is getting hard of hearing. Is not 100% good with singing on pitch. On some tunes he gets thrown off.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 22, 2015 07:46

wilsoncrow
    [*] I made the paper again. I'm Doug, my brother is Jerry, and at the end of the article they switched our quotes. I'm the one that said this wouldn't be the last time, so don't make me out to be the bad guy.

From that article:

"The elder McCray ticked off a litany of performers he's seen, including Alabama, George Strait, REO Speedwagon, Blue Oyster Cult, Jethro Tull and Meat Loaf, among others.

“The Stones beat them all,” he said."

Umm, no shit? The Stones better than Meat Loaf? Now that is news...grinning smiley

peace

Posted by: relms ()
Date: June 22, 2015 08:00

Wow! If anyone has not been over to the reports page https: //www.iorr.org/tour15/pittsburgh.htm [www.iorr.org] there are some pretty spectacular pictures of our favorite band up now. They are well worth checking out along with the fan reports.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-22 08:01 by relms.

Posted by: RS ()
Date: June 22, 2015 08:04

I know my dad was just telling me about all the reviews. He said that there was a lot.

-RS

Posted by: GlimmerGirl24 ()
Date: June 22, 2015 09:27

It appears you can save a Periscope replay:

[www.quora.com]

"If you have an iPhone and a Mac computer, simply connect the iPhone via the Lightning cable to the computer and startup Quicktime Player. Go up to File -> New Movie Recording and your camera will likely boot up with a Play-FF-RWD-Record like button at the bottom. Click on the prompt there and you'll see an option to change input devices. Select iPhone for both Audio and Video, and you now have the capability to record whatever is on your phone directly to your computer.

Open up the Periscope App. Dig into your profile Recent Broadcast and select a recent broadcast. Click play on your phone, then click record on your Mac, and let the stream come through, recording not only the video but the comments as well. When all done save the file and there you have it--a nice recording of your Periscope video with the comments."

If you took the video - you can access it past the 24 hours:

"Pro Tip: Broadcasts in the app are only available for 24 hours. However if you have a tweet of the recording, you can open click the URL and open the broadcast in the Periscope app. So far the feeds are available for multiple days after they are not accessible in the app."

1. Open your Twitter account.
2. Click on the tweet (not the link) with the Periscope link.
3. A page will appear that says: Open in Periscope App. Click on it and your video will play more than 24 hours later.

My fingers are crossed I can still open Pittsburgh when I get home. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-22 09:49 by GlimmerGirl24.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 22, 2015 09:31

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Remember that the musicians without in ear monitors not necessarily hear everything that is said on stage.

This has happened multiple times. TD in HP1 springs to mind.

Any of them can have whatever they choose in their monitor mix. It's got very little to do with in ear monitors or not. There is probably plenty of Mick's vocal bouncing around the stage from other monitors, not sure how much Mick is in Keith's monitor or vice versa but I doubt that was the problem really, just a probably unintentional quick start by Keith.

BTW: Nobody has attempted to answer my question concerning whether Mick sings Girl Reaction or Girly Action on Satisfaction.

peace

It does sound like Girly Action, doesn't it - but I think this is another example of the Skydog Slaver question - people from our part of the world don't pronounce their R's as strongly as people from the US (or Scotland for that matter) think they should. Mind you, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few deliberate Girly Actions from time to time - Mick knows he can get away with it.

My goodness, he's well off key there. Maybe an in-ear monitor problem? If so, maybe that's what he was so annoyed about, since he seems to laugh off Keith's jumping the gun at the start.

Date: June 22, 2015 12:40

It has always been «girly action».

And I know for a fact that sometimes one won't hear a word of what's being said in the mic on stage, due to a number of reasons.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 22, 2015 15:29

Thrylan
dcba
Thrylan
D&G through PIB just about grounded the whole thing. Especially MM......awful! Mick should consider that sometimes the blank stares in the audience are boredom. To include Bitch in the SF "set" stinks as it is practically a warhorse.
Ironically, JJF, IORR and MR were the high points.

YCAGWYW is terrible encore material. French Horns and choirs.......it's not a funeral.

My son enjoyed it

Maybe HE should have written a review... grinning smiley

Lol....true. The musicianship last night was stellar. Keith was clowning and running, Mick was Mick.....Ronnie was the best player on the stage- tore it up on MR. Hell, Mick made more flubs than Keith!!! However, 2 of my sons observations struck me. He is 20, grown up on Stones, but he is young, many and varied in taste. I thought we, especially he, would dig D&G. I have defended it as "had to be there" on here before- not so. It just misses the mark. The second interesting thing to me was, he loves the studio YCAGWYW, but after the show he commented he thought it was out of place in the encore- I agreed. The experience of taking my son to his first show on fathers day eve, is a memory I will always remember and enjoy- He really got into Ronnie.

He did make another good point, He likes PIB, but felt it's better served on record- I explained the song vote, "rigged" theory- Pittsburgh=Steelers=Black and Gold ......"Black", Paint it Black...etc.... Then he answers, Stones played Rough Justice at Superbowl XL halftime, the Steelers won SB XL, should have played RJ!!! Lol, love where his head is.

yes agreed, you see a different perspective when you watch the show through your sons eyes or people maybe not so accustomed to seeing the stones live. but he is so right, YCAGWYW does nor fit in the encore, although i understand why they keep it in the set..

Posted by: stonesroc ()
Date: June 22, 2015 16:21

Green Lady
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Remember that the musicians without in ear monitors not necessarily hear everything that is said on stage.

This has happened multiple times. TD in HP1 springs to mind.

Any of them can have whatever they choose in their monitor mix. It's got very little to do with in ear monitors or not. There is probably plenty of Mick's vocal bouncing around the stage from other monitors, not sure how much Mick is in Keith's monitor or vice versa but I doubt that was the problem really, just a probably unintentional quick start by Keith.

BTW: Nobody has attempted to answer my question concerning whether Mick sings Girl Reaction or Girly Action on Satisfaction.

peace

It does sound like Girly Action, doesn't it - but I think this is another example of the Skydog Slaver question - people from our part of the world don't pronounce their R's as strongly as people from the US (or Scotland for that matter) think they should. Mind you, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few deliberate Girly Actions from time to time - Mick knows he can get away with it.

My goodness, he's well off key there. Maybe an in-ear monitor problem? If so, maybe that's what he was so annoyed about, since he seems to laugh off Keith's jumping the gun at the start.

He kept reaching for his ear during the song. I assume there was some problem with whatever he was (or wasn't) hearing. It also seemed at the time that he skipped some of the lyrics but I haven't watched any of the videos to verify this.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: June 22, 2015 17:14

DandelionPowderman
It has always been «girly action».

And I know for a fact that sometimes one won't hear a word of what's being said in the mic on stage, due to a number of reasons.
Yes always has been Girly action as far as i am aware too. I prefer Girly action to Girl reaction anyway. Who doesn't? hehehehe drinking smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 22, 2015 17:22

josepi
The sound quality of the show as heard from my assigned seat was pretty bad. So bad that it appeared the Stones were performing quite dismally. So bad that by the middle of All Down the Line my partner and I decided to find somewhere else to sit, and if we got kicked out of our new spot then i was ready to just up and leave irregardless of what my partner did. Before ADTL was over, we found a spot in an aisle along with several other folks of the same inclination. The sound there was absolutely FANTASTIC! The full spectrum, well-balanced. Up there with the best I have ever heard at a stadium show. The usher shooed us away, so we just moved about 20 feet until the next usher shooed us out. That went on until about Sympathy when the ushers gave up and just let us stay there. Everyone in the aisle was having a great time, the sound quality was outstanding, and we could all clearly hear that the band was in top-notch form nonwithstanding the usual minor flubs.

For Columbus, I had a great seat, but the sound quality was only marginally adequate if that. Way too trebly and muddy. Stayed put though because the view was pretty good.

I can not thank the people of Pittsburgh enough for their hospitality during my stay in town. IMO, the people from Pittsburgh and Columbus are the best.

Where were you sitting? The sound was great from where I was in the 135's. I asked my son about it because he and his friend were exiled to the 500's. He said up there he could hear the guitars really well, but the vocals were not coming through as well.

Date: June 22, 2015 17:46

latebloomer
josepi

Where were you sitting? The sound was great from where I was in the 135's. I asked my son about it because he and his friend were exiled to the 500's. He said up there he could hear the guitars really well, but the vocals were not coming through as well.

My Lucky Dips were exiled to 500 level, as well. I think it was sec 536. Four rows from the very top! It was the section closest to the stage Keith-side. We got up and walked down to the bottom of the section, right behind the handicapped row. There were "sweet spots" all over that area. Sometimes the sound was good, just a little muddy. Walk 10 or 15 feet to the left or right and - BINGO! - the sound became just outrageously outstanding. Great crisp sound with the vocals sounding great, too. In all, i think we ended up standing at the bottom of three of those adjacent sections while the ushers shooed us along. By Sympathy, the ushers stopped shooing and we stood at the bottom of 536 the rest of the show in one of the sweet spots. Really amazing sound from that spot.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-22 17:50 by josepi.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: June 22, 2015 18:07

Thrylan
sweet neo con
Thrylan
To include Bitch in the SF "set" stinks as it is practically a warhorse..

hardly

I've seen them 6 times since 89'........5 out of 6 they played Bitch.

consider yourself lucky. i've seen them 7 times since '89 and only saw Bitch at the 2 '89 Alpine Valley shows i attended.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: June 22, 2015 19:06

Highlights of Pittsburgh '15, my 33rd Stones show since Cleveland '75 (forty years and six days earlier):

Drove six hours on Friday with my 19 and 18 year old sons. In Pittsburgh we met up with a high school chum who the elder son is named for.

Went to Il Pizzaolo in Market Square for a fantastic Italian dinner on Friday evening. Who do I see on the patio nibbling antipasto but Bernard Fowler! He's there with some bald guy in sunglasses who talked on the phone all the time. On our way out I stopped at his table and Bernard saw my Stones shirt and smiled. I said we were expecting big things from him the next night gesturing to myself, son and friends. He laughed and said "You be sure to have a great time tomorrow night." We assured him we would and left him to his repast.

We were walking off our dinner around downtown when suddenly a screaming police motorcade barreled up to the door of my buddy's hotel. It turned out to be the Vice Premier of China. A cop on horseback said the Stones would fly in and out the next day. Par for the course.

SH-T! We were walking around the waterfront on Friday night and saw a wedding party getting their pictures taken. Obviously BV was there too because he posted a picture of them on his blog! So close to greatness was I and didn't know it!

On Saturday we saw the marvelous Warhol Museum and had a sh-tty lunch in some joint across the street from PNC Park. We watched the rain from the 14th floor getting worse and then letting up a bit. We grabbed our ponchos and off we went. Heinz Field is great in theory but there's little parking and the train, albeit free, drops everybody at the same station. Not for the claustrophobic.

We grabbed beers, tired of the human roar in the concourse and went to our seats in the rain, now falling lightly but steadily. We suffered through AWOLNATION and I asked my sons, "What the hell was THAT about?" One son was entirely unfamiliar with them and the other only new the hit.

Moments later I photographed a fantastic double rainbow over the stage. The skies began to clear and it never rained another drop. The Stones had made a deal with god or, perhaps, the devil.

The show began with a video montage that looked a lot like the one that started the RUSH concert I saw last Sunday. It's also remarkably similar to the one AC/DC is using. Not as much pyro as I thought would be used.

Jagger forgot where he was. "Good evening everybody! Welcome to (furitive glance down to the teleprompter) Pittsburgh!" I started to point it out to my sons who were already laughing.

Ronnie Wood has stepped up his game, big time. His solo at the end of 'Rambler was jaw dropping and he's playing solos where there didn't used to be any. For example the climax of Gimme Shelter if memory serves. They don't always play "All Down The Line" But they've played it at every show I've seen since 2006. Paint IT Black was the internet choice but I'm sure Shattered got the most votes. Bitch and Moonlight Mile were the nods to Sticky Fingers. The latter clocked in several minutes shorter than the orginal. It sort of just petered out, actually.

Keith looks tired and a bit dazed. He appeared so in Pittsburgh and on the earlier videos I've seen. His playing was fine (a short train wreck in IORR notwithstanding) and he didn't make any grievous errors other than stepping on Jagger's intro of the Penn State Choir. This seemed to result in Mick not having his ear piece set properly so he sang his biggest hit out of tune for the first verse. Mick was apparently perturbed and cut his bows with the others short strutting off stage and waving to the audience without looking back. Keith, Ronnie and Charlie remained and did the arms around each other bow thing. Not as much pyro at the end but nearly five minutes of darkness so they could apparently hustle our heroes back to the jet.

Where we sat the sound was impeccable. The chords from Keith and Ronnie's guitar crash into one another, sometimes in a fashion that almost seems ludicrous, but they make this remarkable thing that is unique: the Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-22 19:15 by rbk.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 22, 2015 19:39

Lots of comments about sound quality. I've been quite close to the stage for all 3 shows I have seen, and have worn proper earplugs for each. It really improves the sound, gets rid of the muddiness - otherwise too loud to really get the full benefit. Never thought I would need them outside, but there you go.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 22, 2015 19:47

About the final bow, there was not any final bow really..., It just got VERY disorganized, they simply never made any bow. Don't know why. I made a few pictures then and the below two are just two in a series. I could see they sort of tried to organize but they never really got that grouping of the four organized, so Mick left early, like he always does. He always leaves the bow the same split second they are bowing, because he want to do his own walking around solo and bowing to the left and right and middle and so on. I would nor read much out of those pictures others than they just finished another great show. Ten to twelve minutes earlier I had observered this, as I wrote in my blog about the Pittsburgh show:

The stage is dark. They are preparing for the first encore "You Can't Always Get What You Want". Mick and Keith are standing right next to each other half way between Charlie and the front of the stage. Mick with the acoustic guitar, Keith with his guitar. Side by side. Nothing to see on the large screen monitors, it is dark, but I am up close and I see them clearly. I see Mick is impatient, he is so ready for the song. He is moving his shoulder over to Keith and is bumping into Keith gently. They both have a great laugh. Mick does this often with Ronnie, but never with Keith... This is just for themselves, not for the cameras. So great to see Mick and Keith enjoy being on stage together!

Bjornulf

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 22, 2015 20:22

you can actually do a social experiment using the rolling stones and their music-

the live show had to change and become more structured from 1989-on because of people watching endless amounts of MTV.
seeing a band performing on a stage and hearing the record became one thing as opposed to a live show being a complete seperate issue with the fans expecting songs to be drawn out into longer versions,guitar solo's where there isn't one on the record..etc

now instead of the MTV effect now we see the "AMERICAN IDOL" and "THE VOICE" effect.

it's almost comical seeing rock fans mimicking the judges on these shows-"ew mick was a little pitchy on that one","he was slightly off key at the start of the 3rd verse"-" he wasnt singing full voice at the end"

it's a funny thing when it's just entertainment but when it comes to serious issues that sort of thought molding process is a little scary.

Date: June 22, 2015 20:27

Still looking for an answer...

Has Keith ever changed the Happy lyric to "when I can f*ck all night long" before? Does anybody know? Does anybody care? Is this just so trivial I shouldn't care?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-22 20:28 by josepi.

Date: June 22, 2015 20:40

great show

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-23 06:12 by relms.

Date: June 22, 2015 20:42

great show

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-23 06:12 by relms.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 22, 2015 20:57

relms
josepi

Has Keith ever changed the Happy lyric to "when I can f*ck all night long" before? Does anybody know? Does anybody care? Is this just so trivial I shouldn't care?

Sorry I have no idea, but this is the place to keep asking, I am sure someone will know.

no he's saying"when i fly,way back home' if he ever changed it as a joke i'm not sure but i seriously doubt it.

the funniest misheard keith lyics ever are nils loughgrins[sp?] cover of happy-man i was sad for him,it was embarrassing.

Date: June 22, 2015 21:01

lem motlow
relms
josepi

Sorry I have no idea, but this is the place to keep asking, I am sure someone will know.

no he's saying"when i fly,way back home' if he ever changed it as a joke i'm not sure but i seriously doubt it.

the funniest misheard keith lyics ever are nils loughgrins[sp?] cover of happy-man i was sad for him,it was embarrassing.

He absolutely changed it to "f*ck" in Pittsburgh. I heard it clearly, I saw it clearly on the big screen, and you can clearly hear it here. Listen closely at the 1:50 mark. No question about it. Nobody around me at the show noticed it either.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-22 21:04 by josepi.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 22, 2015 21:08

Listened intently with headphones, and yup.. that sure is what he seems to be saying josepi.. Nice updated lyric, Keith.

Date: June 23, 2015 02:49

A great show

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: June 23, 2015 03:23

Listening to the show now... really amazing. I thought All Down The Line was really good, nice horn arrangement.

The nitpicky things don't bother me much at all, but that's just my opinion. I do it too sometimes. It just goes to show how good the Rolling Stones are that you really have to nitpick to find many flaws. Frankly, I like the little flaws. They always find a way to recover, and it just goes to show you that they're human. I'd listen to the studio version if I expected it to be perfect. The band is loose and relaxed, but plays like a machine.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: June 23, 2015 04:30

People seem disappointed with this show.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 18 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1779
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home