Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: ALBUM TALK: Their Satanic Majesties Request
Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: June 20, 2015 17:33

Take out the last track on each side, add We Love You/Dandelion, and you´ll get a great album! grinning smiley

We Love You
Sing This All Together
Citadel
In Another Land
2000 Man

Dandelion
She´s A Rainbow
The Lantern
Gomper
2000 Light Years From Home

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-20 17:34 by rootsman.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 20, 2015 17:47

2000 LYFH
MingSubu
Always wanted to visit wherever they are on the cover. Seems like a pretty far out place.

This and Let It Bleed's album covers are a couple of my favorites.

You can visit it here (in pictures) : [www.iorr.org]

Thanks, that is a great and interesting thread. thumbs up

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 11, 2015 07:08

This has replaced Beggars Banquet as my favourite Rolling Stones album. smoking smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 11, 2015 07:15

His Majesty
This has replaced Beggars Banquet as my favourite Rolling Stones album. smoking smiley

what was the turning point?

Date: August 11, 2015 08:45

His Majesty

Ha ha, now we're talking! It's good to see you here, my friend thumbs up

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: August 11, 2015 09:02

CITADEL - One of their. most underrated songs. Always loved it.

2000 light years, Shes a Rainbow,Lantern, 2000 man are ok butthat's it for me

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 11, 2015 09:10

It's simply a between 'Buttons and Beggar's'-album...On with the show is my favorite...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 11, 2015 11:05

Wow! Both His Majesty and DandelionPowderman are back! smileys with beer drinking smiley

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 11, 2015 11:16

LieB
Wow! Both His Majesty and DandelionPowderman are back! smileys with beer drinking smiley

thumbs up

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: August 11, 2015 11:52

liddas
I have been following this board for I can't remember how many years, and I can't remember one single positive comment on Sing This Song Reprise.

Possible that I am the only one to consider it the highlight of the album? The psychedelic Can't You Hear Me Knocking?

Where's that joint, liddas?

It's a great album though (with that one exception). Used to blast Citadel in my car and even my friend, whom I unsuccessfully tried to convert to Stonesdom, got off on that awesome ping.

Date: August 11, 2015 15:56

Turner68

what was the turning point?

Wishing Beggars Banquet had a bit more freak edge to it, then concluding that it's better (for me) to have maybe too much freak edge rather than not enough. grinning smiley

Date: August 11, 2015 15:58

DandelionPowderman

Ha ha, now we're talking! It's good to see you here, my friend thumbs up

Good to see you're back. smileys with beer

Posted by: Matt ()
Date: August 11, 2015 16:28

Like the album with the exception of track 5. 8 and 10

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 11, 2015 16:34

Never thought about it before but if they'd left off 'She's A Rainbow' and kept that as a single and added 'We Love You' probably would've made a stronger album.

Also, did the album have less of an impact being released so late in 1967 (was it released too late?)...

Date: August 11, 2015 16:37

As is always the case, some say child of the Moon should have been included on Their Satanic Majesties Request, but once again I will point out that it couldn't have been as it wasn't recorded until spring 1968. tongue sticking out smiley

I saw a interview awhile ago from 1969 or so in which Mick said he wrote COTM during a holiday with marianne in South America in December 1967/January 1968.

smoking smiley

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: August 11, 2015 16:42

Cristiano Radtke
2000 LYFH
MingSubu
Always wanted to visit wherever they are on the cover. Seems like a pretty far out place.

This and Let It Bleed's album covers are a couple of my favorites.

You can visit it here (in pictures) : [www.iorr.org]

Thanks, that is a great and interesting thread. thumbs up

Thanks, but I meant the place they are trying to portrait.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-12 16:09 by MingSubu.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: August 12, 2015 08:30

The tracks on this album are forever being fiddled with to somewhat pointlessly prove that a better product could've and should've been released. The problem as I see it is that half the songs are too good for this album and should've been saved for subsequent albums. To wit:

The Lantern should have replaced Jigsaw Puzzle on BB.
2000 Man should've replaced Country Honk on LIB.
She's a Rainbow should've replaced You Gotta Move on SF.
Citadel (a stripped down country version) should've replaced I Just Wanna See His face on Exile.
2000 Light Years from Home should've been the B-side to Angie or replaced Hide your Love on GHS.

Had they done this Some Girls would never be considered a particularly strong album because it would pale in comparison to the big five. So in a sense Some Girls owes its reputation to songs like Gomper.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 12, 2015 09:37

Swayed1967
The tracks on this album are forever being fiddled with to somewhat pointlessly prove that a better product could've and should've been released. The problem as I see it is that half the songs are too good for this album and should've been saved for subsequent albums. To wit:

The Lantern should have replaced Jigsaw Puzzle on BB.
2000 Man should've replaced Country Honk on LIB.
She's a Rainbow should've replaced You Gotta Move on SF.
Citadel (a stripped down country version) should've replaced I Just Wanna See His face on Exile.
2000 Light Years from Home should've been the B-side to Angie or replaced Hide your Love on GHS.

Had they done this Some Girls would never be considered a particularly strong album because it would pale in comparison to the big five. So in a sense Some Girls owes its reputation to songs like Gomper.

one of the best lines on IORR this year.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 12, 2015 09:40

I think it's a great album, far better than Between The Buttons.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 12, 2015 09:44

Lurv TSMR ... brings back cloudy memories .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 12, 2015 10:24

Rockman
Lurv TSMR ... brings back cloudy memories .....

Ha ha - brings back memories I can't recall too clearly here too!

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: August 12, 2015 11:44

While 'Between The Buttons' and 'Satanic' are spotty in places, they are among their most important albums, because they saw an evolution. They couldn't have made Beggars Banquet and the next albums without going over the top with these two records. Records like 'Some Girls' and 'Tattoo You' contains far better songs, but they are also less adventurous and are playing it safe all over. In the sixties they took chances, which is far more adorable.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 12, 2015 14:47

Blueranger
In the sixties they took chances, which is far more adorable.

Adorable maybe, but not always satisfying.
TSMR has some very weak spots, but shining jewels as well.
It was an experiment with rather mixed results. Anyway, I do not want to miss it. At least, it´s part of their all-time-exciting evolution. You have to listen to it without comparing it to the music they made before and after. Imo, it´s not their worst album after all. Some of the material is great indeed.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: August 12, 2015 14:54

HMS
Blueranger
In the sixties they took chances, which is far more adorable.

Adorable maybe, but not always satisfying.
TSMR has some very weak spots, but shining jewels as well.
It was an experiment with rather mixed results. Anyway, I do not want to miss it. At least, it´s part of their all-time-exciting evolution. You have to listen to it without comparing it to the music they made before and after. Imo, it´s not their worst album after all. Some of the material is great indeed.

In my opinion, music does not always need to be satisfying. If all music were to everyone's tastes, there would be no need to make it in the first place. Music does also need to challenge us and make a stand.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: August 13, 2015 18:57

rootsman
Take out the last track on each side, add We Love You/Dandelion, and you´ll get a great album! grinning smiley

We Love You
Sing This All Together
Citadel
In Another Land
2000 Man

Dandelion
She´s A Rainbow
The Lantern
Gomper
2000 Light Years From Home

Yes, but... where's that joint? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Date: August 13, 2015 19:00

I'm not going to say whether I like or dislike this record, but let me leave it at this...The only reason I have a copy is because of the 3-D cover for my vinyl collection...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 13, 2015 22:35

And I bet ya love silent movies ...........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: FOGGY ()
Date: August 13, 2015 23:37

It's a wonder they got this album finished with the establishment's attempts to jail Mick, Keith and Brian (not for the content of TSMR !).

This was more or less the last time the band could be accused of copying the Beatles before returning to their roots with JJF and BB album in 1968. (..You've heard the one that the Stones were copying the Beatles, "Yesterday", by releasing "As Tears Go By".....wasn't that song written in 1964 and the Fabs track written a year later?! )

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: August 14, 2015 00:13

matxil
50% surprisingly good. Much better than Between the Buttons, for one thing.
And then 50% horribly, horribly, embarassingly bad. Even worse than the worst on Between the Buttons. Even worse than Dirty Work.
If instead of those 50% pure horse manure, they would have put "We Love You", "Child Of The Moon" and "Dandelion" it would have been a good album.

Between the Buttons is fantastic

Date: August 14, 2015 04:17

FOGGY
It's a wonder they got this album finished with the establishment's attempts to jail Mick, Keith and Brian (not for the content of TSMR !).

This was more or less the last time the band could be accused of copying the Beatles before returning to their roots with JJF and BB album in 1968. (..You've heard the one that the Stones were copying the Beatles, "Yesterday", by releasing "As Tears Go By".....wasn't that song written in 1964 and the Fabs track written a year later?! )

Yeah, but the "stones" didn't record it till after Yesterday and the arrangement of the stones release is obviously Yesterday inspired. winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2188
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home