Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Just a depressed Newbie
Posted by: tauk ()
Date: June 15, 2015 04:24

steffialicia
I guess we all have our own personal "favorites."

Yes, I'm sure it's very subjective. But isn't it great when, out of nowhere, without even trying to look, there comes along a surprise, or a string of surprises, unexpected & even for free. 100% guaranteed, but yes, subjective.

I'll get in trouble for being Off Topic, I just know it...TTYL steffialicia, you lucky/smart gal for going to more concerts! If you ever want to converse privately my email is posted on this web site.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 15, 2015 04:26

12 x 5

ROCKMAN

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 15, 2015 04:38

Carolyn/tauk, I get your point.

Yes, that is the correct email address, will look forward to your note.
I was thinking SF album too, not sure of the rest. I might have a slightly
different take on it.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: June 15, 2015 05:32

Naturalust
tauk
To Nocode0680-me, tauk, am a girl. and no, sorry, that isn't the album...but I think the answer is so obvious, by far sexiest RS album, maybe sexiest rock album ever made. Have a great day!smiling smiley

Damn tauk, you're going to make us guess aren't you?! Nothing like a quest to figure out what lights a girls fire to motivate the romantics into action.

I'm going to guess the first three tracks on Sticky Fingers. grinning smiley

peace
Naturalust, You're Numero Uno with me but I'm getting backed up with private emails re. this right now...I promise I'll get back to you soon. But I'll get in trouble for talking Off Topic (I want to tell you more about THAT soon, please). So please write to me now on my personal email or else I have to figure out the technicalities of starting a new Thread called "Sexiest RS Album Ever". thanks, I'll be in touch. ciao.

EDIT: Naturalust, I went ahead & started a New thread on this topic "Sexiest RS album Ever"--my very first New Thread. I hope you catch it on the Message List...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-15 08:41 by tauk.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 15, 2015 07:22

pricepittsburgh
NoCode0680
I don't get it. Is the point that your 2 months of Stones binge listening makes you more worthy of a Stones ticket than your sister who has been a fan since '81? I'm sure she'll enjoy the show just fine, and so will you, if you buy a ticket.

I can see where that comment by me may have sounded disrespectful or unrealistic. That's not how it was intended. My point is that she became a fan as a teen during the Emotional Rescue/Tattoo You era and remained a casual fan after that. I was able to apply a moment in time to when she began digging them because they were still considered mainstream then. I've technically been a casual fan for a long time too. She was hardcore for a couple of teen years with the Emotional Rescue and Tattoo You albums, but then got into other bands. Like I said, I've owned Hot Rocks on cd since the early 90s and played it quite a bit, and played it on vinyl as a kid in the 80s. I bought Rewind in the early 90s to compliment Hot Rocks and played it over the years as well. Stones shows are filled with tons of people like how I was, who are just concert goers and only casual fans of the bands they see. We've had this discussion before about how Stones ticket sales far outdo their album sales, because the have tons of casual fans who just go to see a "Classic band". All I'm saying is that now that I have grown to appreciate a lot of their music beyond the hits, I would enjoy the show differently than she would, or than I would have previously. But I'm glad she is getting to go and hopefully with our discussions over text and her seeing them live, she will start digging deeper as I have.

except for the fact that all they really play is 'the hits' so enjoying the deeper catalogue doesn't help all that much with shows.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 15, 2015 08:02

angee
tauk
Rockman
totally hooked and see what all the fuss has been about all these years. I've always been a Beatles guy and to some extent a Zeppelin guy. I think honestly, that has been the reason for my procrastination with the Stones

in other words you've finally discovered sex ....Congratulations!!!!!

....especialy that one very certain album, with those 3 very certain songs, played in that very certain order....

Ha, ha, Rockman. thumbs up

Which three songs was that, tauk, remind me? OMG, maybe I have not yet discovered sex yet!

Is this board getting just a little bit raunchy again? Whew - thank Gawd! winking smiley

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: June 15, 2015 08:08

SomeTorontoGirl
angee
tauk
Rockman
totally hooked and see what all the fuss has been about all these years. I've always been a Beatles guy and to some extent a Zeppelin guy. I think honestly, that has been the reason for my procrastination with the Stones

....especialy that one very certain album, with those 3 very certain songs, played in that very certain order....

Which three songs was that, tauk, remind me? OMG, maybe I have not yet discovered sex yet!

Is this board getting just a little bit raunchy again? Whew - thank Gawd! winking smiley

after all that onlystones business I could sure use some raunchiness of the fun and harmless variety... thank you, tauk, for giving up your secrets to success! smileys with beer

Date: June 15, 2015 08:29

SomeTorontoGirl
angee
tauk
Rockman

Thanks Toronto Girl. I try to be a good member here, and yes, after all, this is about the RS, not The Partridge Family! I just started a new Thread so I wouldn't be OFF TOPIC here,it's called "Sexiest RS Album Ever".

Date: June 15, 2015 08:36

Rockman

BTW ROCKMAN, that was a very funny & insightful post here about RS==sexiness. more true than maybe some shy people want to admit! hope you get to sleep well tonight
ROCKMAN. Like I noted in my New Thread on that certain topic, if I don't hear back from anyone I'll assume either a) everyone now disrespects me or, 2) everyone suddenly got very busy tonight & went Offline.

You did get my personal email response just before around 8:30 pm tonight, right?

Date: June 15, 2015 08:45

alieb wrote:
after all that onlystones business I could sure use some raunchiness of the fun and harmless variety... thank you, tauk, for giving up your secrets to success!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
To alieb: Thanks, I just couldn't keep it a secret any more, such useful info....I started a new Thread about it so I won't be OFF TOPIC here, it's called "Sexiest RS Album Ever".

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: June 15, 2015 16:12

It is possible to love Led Zep, the Beatles, and the Rolling Stones. I do.

Re: The Rolling Stones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 15, 2015 16:27

Nikkei
Weird attitude. If you summon all your capabilities, you can always make it happen.

As I was skimming it, all I could fathom is that the poster is in prison or hospitalized
and just didn't want to announce that. If he's not institutionalized and simply balked at a 2.5 hour drive to a show,
I really can't summon up much interest, you know? I've never had to travel less than six hours (one way) to a Stones show,
and I'm not sorry! When the Stones are playing, you gotta move. Getting all mopey isn't the idea at all.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: June 15, 2015 16:32

Confused by the OP....if you want to go you just make it happen. I have lucky dip for Pittsburgh, am taking trains and getting rides from people on various boards, I don't have much money. If you really want to see the Stones it's possible to make it happen for very little. Same with Columbus...got a lucky dip and got a ride back from a fellow Stones fan I met online. That whole weekend cost me less than $100.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-15 16:32 by mnewman505.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 15, 2015 16:39

pricepittsburgh
stonesrule
EXCELLENT post Tauk This guy needs to get ORGANIZED. Not just to see the Stones but generally. And to stop blaming his sister! "I know more than
she does etc. in two months!..."

Grow up Buddy! You know nothing about the Stones until you've seen them
perform! And I'm not talking about a bunch of videos.

Tell us more. Your three favorite songs and why? Etc. Etc.

How old are you? Do you own any of their recordings?

Dude, chill for real. You can jump off your holier than thou Stones lofty perch. I'm not impressed. I already addressed that comment as coming off wrong earlier in the thread. My sister has been a fan longer but a casual fan for the most part, with the exception of the couple of years they were still a mainstream band when she first started liking them. If you read my first post you'll see that I stated that I wasn't knocking her I was just drawing a parallel between her interest in them over the years as compared to anyone who has taken more time to read up on them and delve deeper into their catalog. You may not realize this, but it is exactly today's technology which allows for newbies to become almost as informed as the die hard fans from years ago. We no longer have to read liner notes and check out books at the library to find out all the small details of a band. We no longer have to wonder what certain tracks sound like until we buy the album at the store. Be glad this is the case, because it allows for many more Stones fans to exist. As I said, I was always a Beatles guy. And in 2 months due to the modern age, have learned almost as much about the Stones as I ever did about the Beatles over the last 30 years with tons of purchased books and documentaries. That's just the way it is today if someone chooses to go that route. And my sister has never even attempted to try and see them live until this year. I was only making a point about wanting all you guys to appreciate your moments of seeing them live in the past or present. I was being nice. And I have news for you. There are Hundreds of Thousands, if not Millions of Stones fans all over the world who have NEVER seen them live and many of them may know as much about them as you. And since you asked I'm 45 and I do own their recordings. Originally, as I stated, I only owned Hot Rocks and Rewind. But here of late I have purchased (Not just streamed) but bought many of their albums from both the 60s, 70s and 80s. I also have all of them available for stream on Google play. I plan on actually purchasing more in time.

Right now my 3 favorite songs (This could change) are Let it Bleed, Sway and Sweet Virginia.

your response to stonesrule is very rude

the intent in her post was to be helpful.

Date: June 15, 2015 18:51

with sssoul
Nikkei
Weird attitude. If you summon all your capabilities, you can always make it happen.

As I was skimming it, all I could fathom is that the poster is in prison or hospitalized
and just didn't want to announce that. If he's not institutionalized and simply balked at a 2.5 hour drive to a show,
I really can't summon up much interest, you know? I've never had to travel less than six hours (one way) to a Stones show,
and I'm not sorry! When the Stones are playing, you gotta move. Getting all mopey isn't the idea at all.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++__________
Dear depressed Newbie:
firstly, let's get this straight- this is my 3rd long post to try to help you. Word of Advice: as you tell your story your sister should not even be mentioned at all by you at this point. It is irrelevant what she is or isn't doing with the Stones this summer or ever. O.K.? Talking about her is just delaying your decision-making & planning.

Just one quick word to you depressed newbie. to better help you put this whole thing in proper perspective. You, without knowing it, have jumped into a Stones World at it's most chaotic/stressed/thrilled/disappointed/BROKE time of the year,or I should say of 2 years.

Because the tour is in full force now, there's a lot of tired people, who are giving up everything they have to follow the Stones yes, to more than one, maybe more like 3 concerts this summer--oh yes, depressed newbie, that's a PLURAL statement, follow the Stones to more than one city on this rather criss-cross mapping schedule this time--Lots of us have been without sleep, even if we follow at home in addition to going to concerts.

SO THAT MEANS WE ARE DEDICATED, USUALLY, MOST OF US, TO HELPING EACH OTHER BUT ONLY FOR PEOPLE WHO TRULY WANT TO SEE THE STONES. We haven't the ability to help someone who doesn't really deep down KNOW THAT THEY HAVE TO SEE THE STONES as part of their own emotional/social functioning.

So, please try to get what we're saying...no place left on this tour is really that far from you, not in a Stones World View.And you blew your chance to see them close to you. What does that tell you about you?Lik 2 1/2 hrs each way was LIKE HAVING THE STONES PLAYING IN YOUR OWN BACKYARD. They don't make house calls, dude. Unless you're a zillionaire, but I digress.

Re. having to ask for time off work, my best advice is what I already said earlier to you, you think maybe there's no way to get off work...but again, "Necessity is the Mother of Invention". "Where There's a Will There's a Way", if you want it bad enough your adrenaline/brain chemistry will ramp up & you'll get creative ideas you've never had before to solve all the Logistics of this tour.

And if that doesn't occur with you, then Mother Nature's just telling you that your heart really isn't in this. You've gotta really wanna go bad, dude, to a RS concert, to actually do it.

Good Luck to you.
Ta Ta.
Signed,
Another Newbie

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-15 19:15 by tauk.

Posted by: pricepittsburgh ()
Date: June 16, 2015 01:49

duke richardson
pricepittsburgh
stonesrule
EXCELLENT post Tauk This guy needs to get ORGANIZED. Not just to see the Stones but generally. And to stop blaming his sister! "I know more than
she does etc. in two months!..."

Grow up Buddy! You know nothing about the Stones until you've seen them
perform! And I'm not talking about a bunch of videos.

Tell us more. Your three favorite songs and why? Etc. Etc.

How old are you? Do you own any of their recordings?

Dude, chill for real. You can jump off your holier than thou Stones lofty perch. I'm not impressed. I already addressed that comment as coming off wrong earlier in the thread. My sister has been a fan longer but a casual fan for the most part, with the exception of the couple of years they were still a mainstream band when she first started liking them. If you read my first post you'll see that I stated that I wasn't knocking her I was just drawing a parallel between her interest in them over the years as compared to anyone who has taken more time to read up on them and delve deeper into their catalog. You may not realize this, but it is exactly today's technology which allows for newbies to become almost as informed as the die hard fans from years ago. We no longer have to read liner notes and check out books at the library to find out all the small details of a band. We no longer have to wonder what certain tracks sound like until we buy the album at the store. Be glad this is the case, because it allows for many more Stones fans to exist. As I said, I was always a Beatles guy. And in 2 months due to the modern age, have learned almost as much about the Stones as I ever did about the Beatles over the last 30 years with tons of purchased books and documentaries. That's just the way it is today if someone chooses to go that route. And my sister has never even attempted to try and see them live until this year. I was only making a point about wanting all you guys to appreciate your moments of seeing them live in the past or present. I was being nice. And I have news for you. There are Hundreds of Thousands, if not Millions of Stones fans all over the world who have NEVER seen them live and many of them may know as much about them as you. And since you asked I'm 45 and I do own their recordings. Originally, as I stated, I only owned Hot Rocks and Rewind. But here of late I have purchased (Not just streamed) but bought many of their albums from both the 60s, 70s and 80s. I also have all of them available for stream on Google play. I plan on actually purchasing more in time.

Right now my 3 favorite songs (This could change) are Let it Bleed, Sway and Sweet Virginia.

your response to stonesrule is very rude

the intent in her post was to be helpful.

I was told to "Grow Up Buddy" and that I know nothing about the Stones unless I've seen them live, which insults all fans who haven't seen them live. You consider those comments being helpful?

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: June 16, 2015 02:33

From the sound of the audience recordings, you missed a hell of a show. She's So Cold was smokin'.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: June 16, 2015 14:05

We just wanted you to have the full and total experience. It's an experience that is more than worth the difficulties involved in getting there. It's an experience that will not be a possibility forever. No harm meant I'm sure.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 16, 2015 14:08

pricepittsburgh
I was told to "Grow Up Buddy" and that I know nothing about the Stones unless I've seen them live, which insults all fans who haven't seen them live. You consider those comments being helpful?

"Grow up buddy" can be viewed as insulting, I'm with you on that. But you really don't know sh*t about the Stones before you've seen a concert. Trust me on that and get to move!

Posted by: relms ()
Date: June 16, 2015 14:24

But you really don't know sh*t about the Stones before you've seen a concert.

What? That is BS. Seeing the Stones live is great and a lot of fun but someone can certainly enjoy their music and learn and know a lot about them with seeing them live.

There is not reason to be so rough on this poster as some people are. It is not like he showed up with some fartsmeller name and is asking someone to write paper for them comparing and contrasting Tom Petty and some other guy.

Date: June 16, 2015 14:28

I sort of wanted to say just that, of course you can read up as far as almost knowing them personally and you also might know the dance steps to all four flicks discs, but you only know sh*t (or BS as you call it) when you have seen it live.

Date: June 16, 2015 14:39

Nikkei
I sort of wanted to say just that, of course you can read up as far as almost knowing them personally and you also might know the dance steps to all four flicks discs, but you only know sh*t (or BS as you call it) when you have seen it live.

Then the question is, IF/WHEN one sees them live too many times live does one start to know less? Because I have noticed that some of the biggest complainers are some of the people who may have seen them too many times and are now mad at them for one reason or another. This also goes for collectors of bootlegs, it seems the more bootlegs one reports having has the more they complain about the Stones (and otehr things).

Compare and contrast to me, someone who only owns 10-20 bootlegs and has only seen them live 30-50 times and as far as I am concerned they are still the greatest and I have no complaints. It is all still fresh and exciting after 40 years for me.

I am just happy they are here, alive, on tour and playing. Actually I am freeking ecstatic about it. I am still excited about it!! I am pumped like crazy to hear them live tomorrow night on periscope!!! STONES!!!! HELL YEAH!!!

JAGGER !!! WATTS !!! WOOD!!! RICHARDS !!! AND THE REST!!!! STONES!!!

Date: June 16, 2015 14:44

That might be. I enjoy reading the reports from superfans if they don't start to complain how Rambler was too long so they almost didn't make their train =)
I have seen 9 shows so far and remain confident I can make it double figures. And I maintain my point If you have the chance to see them but don't go for it,
you will carry around big time regret for the rest of your days.

Date: June 16, 2015 14:55

If you have the chance to see them but don't go for it,
you will carry around big time regret for the rest of your days.

FACT!!! smileys with beer

The moral is try to live with no regrets and in the long run most of the regrets one usually has are the opportunities which one did not take.

I will add, thankfully I have zero regrets about The Rolling Stones, I have seen them live EVERY chance I have ever had and it is like CASH MONEY!!! I missed some bands that went away before I had chance, so back in the day I decided to get busy seeing The Stones to make sure I would get it while the getting was good and I did and I am happy. It has been better than good. It has been like Sugar Frosted Flakes and Fonzie combined.

PS
Have no regrets, always speak to a pretty lady wearing a red dress.

Date: June 16, 2015 15:15

I thought I was a Stones fan when I went to my first show. Going to a show launched me into a new orbit of fandom
that I previously hadn't known the existence of, where I've sailing along been ever since.
So while I wouldn't say fans who haven't seen them in concert "don't know sh1t",
I do agree that there is something they don't know of yet, and definitely want to experience.

You gotta move

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-16 15:17 by with sssoul.

Date: June 16, 2015 15:17

Well they know the shirts, but that's only since we post instant pics of the merchandise stands cool smiley

Date: June 16, 2015 15:20

argh WithSssoul, your edit ruined my outfit!

Re: Moping Is Not the Way to Go
Date: June 16, 2015 16:00

Not on purpose, Nikkei!

Date: June 16, 2015 16:05

Anyway I hope I managed to show off I still know the dance steps to FF Madison Square Garden disc.

or was it Boston? Now I'm confused.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-16 16:06 by Nikkei.

Posted by: pricepittsburgh ()
Date: June 16, 2015 18:05

My "Depressed newbie" was just a funny way of saying Oh darn and that's life for getting into them so late in the game and to let everyone one who has experienced them live to be thankful. No biggie smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2006
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home