Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Just a depressed Newbie
Posted by: pricepittsburgh ()
Date: June 15, 2015 00:20

Hello everyone. I wanted to share my story really quick, if anyone cares. My sister is going to see the Stones in Pittsburgh on the 20th, now that she moved back up to West Virginia. I live in Florida and didn't start getting heavy into the Stones until after tickets went on sale for the Orlando show, and that still 2 1/2 hrs away from me so I missed it this past Friday. Anyway, I'm happy for my sister because she's always liked the Stones since 1981 as a fan of them as a current band and she learned to like their older stuff to too. It's really my fault that I never gave them their rightful chance all these years, beyond the Hot Rocks and Rewind cds. But now I'm totally hooked and see what all the fuss has been about all these years. I've always been a Beatles guy and to some extent a Zeppelin guy. I think honestly, that has been the reason for my procrastination with the Stones. I think subconsciously those BS rivalries that we create, prevented me from really following them. Anyway, I know I'll never get to see them live but I sincerely hope everyone who has or does, took it in and takes it in. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-16 09:21 by pricepittsburgh.

Re: Just a depressed Newbie
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 15, 2015 00:23

Weird attitude. If you summon all your capabilities, you can always make it happen. This comes from someone who's continually broke.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-15 00:24 by Nikkei.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 15, 2015 00:26

I have a solution for you. Get to Nashville or Raleigh and see one of the shows. There will always be tickets available up till showtime for these stadium gigs. It's not too late.

peace

Posted by: tauk ()
Date: June 15, 2015 00:56

Hello there. I empathize with you, I am a relatively newbie also, found this web site about 3 months ago, and I made a lot of miscalculations & goofs re. obtaining a ticket. Long story, I'll skip it, but I learned a lot for the future. I did end up going to where I most wanted to, San Diego, but because I did it late everything costed a fortune. BUT I'M SO GLAD I went ahead & did it. Seriously, if you can possibly afford it, you might want to see how creative you might get re. funding. I didn't really have the money either but "Necessity is the Mother of Invention" as the old saying goes. When motivated enough you might get more creative than you think you can right now. Or,if not this summer, then keep perpetually checking on the Stones' whereabouts & plans.

I fully understand if you just can't financially swing it now or can't get off work or other reasons, but I'd hate to see anyone miss out entirely this summer.The Stones aren't even half way through yet I believe.

Why, may I ask, do you think you'll never get a chance to see the Stones LIVE in concert? Are you sure you can't go to any of the remaining shows?

Here's a couple of suggestions, in addition to Naturalust's advising you re. last minute tickets in Raleigh or Nashville--Kansas City might be one venue where there's still tickets...someone recently posted here that Kansas City is selling Lucky Dip tickets again which are cheap & possibly could turn out to be good seats-no guarantee of course, it's a gamble,

And of course there's always Indianapolis-with GA tickets still selling last I checked. Of course Indy will be a long, hot day because it's all GA, so first come first serve type of thing there.
Indy, imho is either going to be
a) The worst show on the venue due to heat, humidity, and conditions involving lots of standing,
or b) the best ticket on the venue if you REALLY WANT TO BE UP CLOSE TO THE STAGE OR RUNWAY AND YOU'RE NOT BOTHERED TOO MUCH BY HEAT/HUMIDITY.You could actually obtain very close up viewing to either the main stage and/or the runway stage for a fraction of the cost of other venues' first few rows.

Living in Florida, perhaps you aren't too bothered by humidity/heat? Re. Indy- If you arrive early enough for a close up standing position you would be paying many many many times less than for a close up seat any where else on this tour.

VIP regular admission (not a vip package, not a vip early entry) was selling for $427 & I think still is available. Or regular "Gold" is just a hair over $300 & could possibly get you very close to the main or runway stage also. Check out the map on the Indy venue to see even cheaper, some way cheap, GA sections if money is your barrier to going to a RS show. The Silver & Bronze GA areas sell for low prices.

Good Luck to you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-15 01:45 by tauk.

Date: June 15, 2015 01:00

I think everyone has good points- on one hand it does add up with travel costs etc,, risk of cancellation. However, if you were to say- I am going to spend $X but it is the only time I can see them then go for it.
However, I found that instead of spending $850 for transportation to either Buffalo or Pittsburgh- I could see 6 or 7 other shows-some even artists I have nto seen as much. Always a trade off but I picked local shows for a lowerrisk

Date: June 15, 2015 01:05

All valid points. If they h ad come to Tampa, about 90 minutes away or Ft Myers, about 45 minutes, would have tried harder for sure. But Orlando was 2 1/2 hers so that 5 hr drive all together. Plus getting of work on short notice would have been difficult. I made the point about never seeing them because I'm assuming at their age this is it. My brother got luck and got to see them for a few songs at Super Bowl XL in Detroit lol

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: June 15, 2015 01:24

I don't get it. Is the point that your 2 months of Stones binge listening makes you more worthy of a Stones ticket than your sister who has been a fan since '81? I'm sure she'll enjoy the show just fine, and so will you, if you buy a ticket.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 15, 2015 01:29

totally hooked and see what all the fuss has been about all these years. I've always been a Beatles guy and to some extent a Zeppelin guy. I think honestly, that has been the reason for my procrastination with the Stones

in other words you've finally discovered sex ....Congratulations!!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: June 15, 2015 01:34

Bollox.
Meet up with your sis, see the Stones, have a blast!
If you've never seen the Stones live, you'll never be able to stand your ground!
money comes and goes. memories too, I guess but they have to have to be experienced first.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-15 01:35 by open-g.

Date: June 15, 2015 01:35

Rockman
totally hooked and see what all the fuss has been about all these years. I've always been a Beatles guy and to some extent a Zeppelin guy. I think honestly, that has been the reason for my procrastination with the Stones

....especialy that one very certain album, with those 3 very certain songs, played in that very certain order....

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 15, 2015 01:37

Just go, last chance saloon most likely..................

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: June 15, 2015 01:44

I was/am a Beatles person too. Shea Stadium. Screaming and crying, etc. I didn't really discover the Stones until 1978. I like to say I went over to the dark side and I never returned. You will regret not going. Make it happen. Where there's a will, you can find a way. You'll be so thrilled you did.

Date: June 15, 2015 01:48

NoCode0680
I don't get it. Is the point that your 2 months of Stones binge listening makes you more worthy of a Stones ticket than your sister who has been a fan since '81? I'm sure she'll enjoy the show just fine, and so will you, if you buy a ticket.

I can see where that comment by me may have sounded disrespectful or unrealistic. That's not how it was intended. My point is that she became a fan as a teen during the Emotional Rescue/Tattoo You era and remained a casual fan after that. I was able to apply a moment in time to when she began digging them because they were still considered mainstream then. I've technically been a casual fan for a long time too. She was hardcore for a couple of teen years with the Emotional Rescue and Tattoo You albums, but then got into other bands. Like I said, I've owned Hot Rocks on cd since the early 90s and played it quite a bit, and played it on vinyl as a kid in the 80s. I bought Rewind in the early 90s to compliment Hot Rocks and played it over the years as well. Stones shows are filled with tons of people like how I was, who are just concert goers and only casual fans of the bands they see. We've had this discussion before about how Stones ticket sales far outdo their album sales, because the have tons of casual fans who just go to see a "Classic band". All I'm saying is that now that I have grown to appreciate a lot of their music beyond the hits, I would enjoy the show differently than she would, or than I would have previously. But I'm glad she is getting to go and hopefully with our discussions over text and her seeing them live, she will start digging deeper as I have.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-15 01:50 by pricepittsburgh.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 15, 2015 01:48

tauk
Rockman

....especialy that one very certain album, with those 3 very certain songs, played in that very certain order....

Ha, ha, Rockman. thumbs up

Which three songs was that, tauk, remind me? OMG, maybe I have not yet discovered sex yet!

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: June 15, 2015 01:52

angee
Which three songs was that, tauk, remind me? OMG, maybe I have not yet discovered sex yet!

I may be wrong, but I think he's referring to "One Hit (To The Body)", "Fight" and "Harlem Shuffle".

Date: June 15, 2015 01:55

I guess we all have our own personal "favorites."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-15 02:21 by steffialicia.

Date: June 15, 2015 01:58

open-g
Bollox.
Meet up with your sis, see the Stones, have a blast!
If you've never seen the Stones live, you'll never be able to stand your ground!
money comes and goes. memories too, I guess but they have to have to be experienced first.

That illustration is hysterical! A question for the ages.

Posted by: catchinem ()
Date: June 15, 2015 02:27

Periscope. The Nashville show should have more scopers than Orlando. Get your headphones on and get on your computer and watch it. Follow along on IORR and have fun with the rest of us that are HOOKED on Periscope!

Date: June 15, 2015 02:34

yeah, it being the more modern age of technology I don't fell quite as crappy, due to all the accessible YouTube live footage and DVDs

Date: June 15, 2015 02:54

Been thinking about your situation and believe I've come across another solution....

You do have some dirt on your sister right? Blackmail! Surely, as her sibling you have some dark secrets of hers that you have been holding on to for years. Now is the time to exploit them! Threaten to tell her husband or your parents or her kids. Suggest nicely that the whole problem can be solved and you expect your sudden amnesia can only be triggered by a trip to Pittsburgh and a certain ticket she has....

To further sway her to give you the ticket, remind her that they are going to play zero songs from Emotional Rescue (since She's So cold was already played in Orlando) and how Start Me Up from Tattoo You never sounds very good live. You on the other hand will get half a dozen or more songs from Hot Rocks.

If all that fails, you still have options, but I think your sister is the key here. >grinning smiley<

peace

Date: June 15, 2015 02:56

pricepittsburgh
All valid points. If they h ad come to Tampa, about 90 minutes away or Ft Myers, about 45 minutes, would have tried harder for sure. But Orlando was 2 1/2 hers so that 5 hr drive all together. Plus getting of work on short notice would have been difficult. I made the point about never seeing them because I'm assuming at their age this is it. My brother got luck and got to see them for a few songs at Super Bowl XL in Detroit lol

Dear Mr.pricepittsburgh,

Greetings. I feel the need, as a fellow newbie Stones fan, to point out one important thing for your first step into Stones Land. You say that you didn't go to the Orlando concert 2 nights ago because it was too far for you to want to drive, right? You said Orlando would've caused you a 2 1/2 hr drive each way. You say they would've had to have been only 45 minutes or at the most "90 miles" away=about 1 1/2 hours drive tops each way for you to want to make the drive.

Oh my, Mr pricepittsburg,for you're own good I need to point out one practical bit of info, ok? O.K. then hear this please: A 5 hour round trip, only 2/1/2 hrs each way-is a SHORT DISTANCE to drive for a Stones concert. If you wait for them to be any closer you will loose out. They might not even come to Florida again, just like many other states.

These Stones guys are international superstars & have been since like 1965. The USA, although it is probably their biggest grossing nation, is merely ONLY ONE COUNTRY ON OUR HUGE PLANET that the Stones do tours in..They'll be off all around the globe, Southern Hemisphere with South America. Western Europe, The UK, possibly Eastern Europe, Australia, Japan, etc etc etc before they even THINK about us again. And when they do, remember how large the USA is geographically & population wise-- a lot of ground to cover....many states.....

As a newbie a couple months ago the first thing I learned was the necessity to throw out all of my old notions of time/space/money if I was going to ever get to a Stones concert. Big change from my drab but careful Pre-Stones Life. I live in Las Vegas which, despite the demeaning manner in which some posters here like to refer to it, is "The Entertainment Capitol of the World" with many cool concerts. I could've said no I'm not going to go to any of their shows this summer because if they'd just come here I'd have no hotel cost, no travel cost other than my $2.50 bus pass with a total ride time shorter than you could "shake a stick at" (an old southern/country phrase), or, no longer than a snowball in Hades would last. But I got the picture quickly--if you really love The Stones driving 2 1/2 hrs each way would be nothing--plus the fact that after the show you'll be so buzzed & up that a 2 1/2 hr drive or whatever length of travel time you have, will FLY BY so fast you won't even notice it.

So whatever type of travel you'd have to do to get to any of the remaining shows this summer, I'm sure it will feel like a small sacrifice in return for what you'll gain.

Date: June 15, 2015 02:59

steffialicia
I was/am a Beatles person too. Shea Stadium. Screaming and crying, etc. I didn't really discover the Stones until 1978. I like to say I went over to the dark side and I never returned. You will regret not going. Make it happen. Where there's a will, you can find a way. You'll be so thrilled you did.

EXACTLY!thumbs up

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: June 15, 2015 03:10

tauk

Dear Mr.pricepittsburgh,

Oh my, Mr pricepittsburg,for you're own good I need to point out one practical bit of info, ok? O.K. then hear this please: A 5 hour round trip, only 2/1/2 hrs each way-is a SHORT DISTANCE to drive for a Stones concert. If you wait for them to be any closer you will loose out. They might not even come to Florida again, just like many other states.

Exactly, for the Stones, a 5 hour drive is nothing.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 15, 2015 03:13

EXCELLENT post Tauk This guy needs to get ORGANIZED. Not just to see the Stones but generally. And to stop blaming his sister! "I know more than
she does etc. in two months!..."

Grow up Buddy! You know nothing about the Stones until you've seen them
perform! And I'm not talking about a bunch of videos.

Tell us more. Your three favorite songs and why? Etc. Etc.

How old are you? Do you own any of their recordings?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-15 03:14 by stonesrule.

Date: June 15, 2015 03:42

angee
tauk
Rockman

Ha, ha, Rockman. thumbs up

To angee: Thanks for your inquiry. Hmmmmmlet me think here...my personal policy on this web site has, so far, been to only be vague re. remarks along this line..in keeping with common rules of decency on internet & in mixed company, to borrow an old phrase. But as a sister-in-RS fandom I certainly don't want to be selfish. I feel the "calling" to help others with any thing that can enhance the Joy of Living.

I'm in a conundrum. I know what-I'll send you a personal email-you've got it listed on your Profile here. I hope you don't find that weird, but I'll be Off-topic if I write much more here on this thread, plus I'll do the old fashioned think & keep it just between us girls-"girl talk."

One question: the email says andee, not angee, right? I'll not email you until you confirm that email address, and let me know if it's o.k. to write to you on that. My email is listed on My Profile also, so come to think of it you could just email me personally first. (I promise you this won't be a waste of your time...and I won't go on & on, I'll straight out give you my specific tracks & track order recommendations, I won't pull any "funny stuff, I promise).

The only "clue" I'll give here, if you can even call it a "clue" is once I happened to discover the sexiness of this one certain RS album it kind of surprised me how obvious the sexiness is. It's fun, it swings sometimes, it out & out rocks & the lyrics of several of the songs are very straight-forward--which makes it's effectiveness easy to access. I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT IT NOW-but everyone has different opinions of these things of course...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-15 04:09 by tauk.

Date: June 15, 2015 03:44

stonesrule
EXCELLENT post Tauk This guy needs to get ORGANIZED. Not just to see the Stones but generally. And to stop blaming his sister! "I know more than
she does etc. in two months!..."

Grow up Buddy! You know nothing about the Stones until you've seen them
perform! And I'm not talking about a bunch of videos.

Tell us more. Your three favorite songs and why? Etc. Etc.

How old are you? Do you own any of their recordings?

Dude, chill for real. You can jump off your holier than thou Stones lofty perch. I'm not impressed. I already addressed that comment as coming off wrong earlier in the thread. My sister has been a fan longer but a casual fan for the most part, with the exception of the couple of years they were still a mainstream band when she first started liking them. If you read my first post you'll see that I stated that I wasn't knocking her I was just drawing a parallel between her interest in them over the years as compared to anyone who has taken more time to read up on them and delve deeper into their catalog. You may not realize this, but it is exactly today's technology which allows for newbies to become almost as informed as the die hard fans from years ago. We no longer have to read liner notes and check out books at the library to find out all the small details of a band. We no longer have to wonder what certain tracks sound like until we buy the album at the store. Be glad this is the case, because it allows for many more Stones fans to exist. As I said, I was always a Beatles guy. And in 2 months due to the modern age, have learned almost as much about the Stones as I ever did about the Beatles over the last 30 years with tons of purchased books and documentaries. That's just the way it is today if someone chooses to go that route. And my sister has never even attempted to try and see them live until this year. I was only making a point about wanting all you guys to appreciate your moments of seeing them live in the past or present. I was being nice. And I have news for you. There are Hundreds of Thousands, if not Millions of Stones fans all over the world who have NEVER seen them live and many of them may know as much about them as you. And since you asked I'm 45 and I do own their recordings. Originally, as I stated, I only owned Hot Rocks and Rewind. But here of late I have purchased (Not just streamed) but bought many of their albums from both the 60s, 70s and 80s. I also have all of them available for stream on Google play. I plan on actually purchasing more in time.

Right now my 3 favorite songs (This could change) are Let it Bleed, Sway and Sweet Virginia.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-15 03:52 by pricepittsburgh.

Date: June 15, 2015 03:48

NoCode0680
angee

I may be wrong, but I think he's referring to "One Hit (To The Body)", "Fight" and "Harlem Shuffle".

To Nocode0680-me, tauk, am a girl. and no, sorry, that isn't the album...but I think the answer is so obvious, by far sexiest RS album, maybe sexiest rock album ever made. Have a great day!smiling smiley

Date: June 15, 2015 04:03

tauk
NoCode0680
angee

To Nocode0680-me, tauk, am a girl. and no, sorry, that isn't the album...but I think the answer is so obvious, by far sexiest RS album, maybe sexiest rock album ever made. Have a great day!smiling smiley

Sorry, I guess I didn't notice the name Carolyn in your sig, no offense.

I still think you're talking about Dirty Work though. What's sexier than this?

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: June 15, 2015 04:06

NoCode0680
tauk
NoCode0680
angee

Sorry, I guess I didn't notice the name Carolyn in your sig, no offense.

I still think you're talking about Dirty Work though. What's sexier than this?

I agree, NoCode. Those boys really have an eye for colour...

Date: June 15, 2015 04:13

tauk

Damn tauk, you're going to make us guess aren't you?! Nothing like a quest to figure out what lights a girls fire to motivate the romantics into action.

I'm going to guess the first three tracks on Sticky Fingers. grinning smiley

peace

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1452
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home