Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Boston 69 JJF - is this the source of Ya Yas version?
Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: June 12, 2015 20:35

I just listened a boot of Boston 69. The JJF version sounds identical to the Ya Yas version whereas none of the MSG versions I have heard actually sound like the Ya Yas version. I wonder if it was the Boston version that Mick overdubbed vocals onto for Ya Yas. Have a listen and tell me what you think!

Re: Boston 69 JJF - is this the source of Ya Yas version?
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 12, 2015 20:51

john lomax
I just listened a boot of Boston 69. The JJF version sounds identical to the Ya Yas version whereas none of the MSG versions I have heard actually sound like the Ya Yas version. I wonder if it was the Boston version that Mick overdubbed vocals onto for Ya Yas. Have a listen and tell me what you think!

there is an awesome web page that describes where every little bit of ya-ya's comes from, including the banter between songs. i can't remember where it is, but hopefully someone will post it for you. as a long-time fan of ya-ya's i found it fascinating.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 12, 2015 20:55

Turner68
john lomax

there is an awesome web page that describes where every little bit of ya-ya's comes from, including the banter between songs. i can't remember where it is, but hopefully someone will post it for you. as a long-time fan of ya-ya's i found it fascinating.

Do you mean this one? [www.rollingstonesnet.com]

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: June 12, 2015 21:23

This is great, thanks. I would love to hear all of these different MSG versions. I was amazed when I heard the Boston version because the music is so close to the Ya Yas version.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 12, 2015 23:43

Yeah, Boston was pretty late in the tour, just like NYC and Baltimore, and by that time the band was really tight and locked into an established way of playing the songs, so to speak. If you compare these recordings to Fort Collins (the first gig of the tour) there's a much bigger difference. LA, Oakland and San Diego are a bit different from the east coast shows as well. The San Diego bootleg is a great one.

The same phenomena can be heard on the '72 boots as well -- Boston, NYC, Philly, Pittsburgh, etc. all sound tight and pretty similar, while Vancouver, Seattle, LA, and so on have a slightly different vibe and differ more from show to show.

The '70 and '73 European tours sound more consistent, presumably because they were pretty much continuations of the '69 and '72 tours and the Stones kinda knew how to play the songs, so to speak.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 13, 2015 01:35

LieB

The '70 and '73 European tours sound more consistent, presumably because they were pretty much continuations of the '69 and '72 tours and the Stones kinda knew how to play the songs, so to speak.

I beg your pardon, but here I disagree. The '70 tour is in my eyes some sort of perfection of the exciting '69 tour, while the '73 tour is very different from the '72 tour, if only because of Taylor's extended role.

Besides there are quite some quality differences between especially the '73 concerts. But maybe it doesn't strike so much, because even the lesser '73 concerts were great, as we can hear on the official Brussels.

Date: June 13, 2015 01:37

kleermaker
LieB

I beg your pardon, but here I disagree. The '70 tour is in my eyes some sort of perfection of the exciting '69 tour, while the '73 tour is very different from the '72 tour, if only because of Taylor's extended role.

Besides there are quite some quality differences between especially the '73 concerts. But maybe it doesn't strike so much, because even the lesser '73 concerts were great, as we can hear on the official Brussels.

i've never appreciated this point before, perhaps i should listen more to the '73 recordings.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 13, 2015 01:57

Turner68
kleermaker
LieB

i've never appreciated this point before, perhaps i should listen more to the '73 recordings.

Try this (average quality musical wise) concert as a start if you like:

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 13, 2015 02:23

BTW, here's a silent movie from the 1970 Berlin concert with sound added. It was posted this week on YouTube:

Date: June 13, 2015 02:39

kleermaker
Turner68
kleermaker
LieB

Try this (average quality musical wise) concert as a start if you like:

I've heard it before of course but not with the context of your statement.listening to it again I do see some differences from 1972. On the whole my feeling is that gimme shelter got worse and worse as they played it live - the guitars are supposed to convey danger and doom juxtaposed with beauty and what I hear on Brussels is another mick Taylor noodling session. I don't feel he adjusts his playing much to fit the mood of a song and in the case of gimme shelter it doesn't work for me. In contrast, it's perfect for ADTL and I find the 73 version to be tremendously good.

Sorry for wondering off topic but the 69-73 touring years are endlessly fascinating. To get back on topic: I feel in 69 they perfected the sound of JJF and knew it and played it similarly on each show because they'd hit a great arrangement. It would never be as good again.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-13 02:40 by Turner68.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1720
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home