Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Warhorses You Don't Wanna Miss In Concert - Your THREE Picks
Posted by: Myteem32 ()
Date: June 12, 2015 03:38

Actually, my top three are about fifteen songs!

Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: June 12, 2015 04:06

Jumping Jack Flash
Brown Sugar
Honky Tonk Women

With the exception of Start Me Up, I've experienced shows without the others and didn't miss them.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: June 12, 2015 04:06

BS
Tumbling Dice
Can't Always Get (I love the choirs!)

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 12, 2015 04:26

Brown Sugar
Gimme Shelter
Jumpin' Jack Flash

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: June 12, 2015 04:26

Gimme Shelter
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Sympathy For The Devil
You Can't Always Get What You Want

honestly, I can't drop any of these....

Posted by: Powerage5 ()
Date: June 12, 2015 05:03

I'm going to cheat a little bit, because one of them is a circumstantial song:

Start Me Up (But only if it's an opener, I don't like it mid-set)
Satisfaction
Tumbling Dice

Re: Warhorses You Wouldn't Wanna Miss In Concert - Your THREE Picks
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 12, 2015 06:55

Nikkei
RollingFreak
Miss You
Sympathy For The Devil
Tumbling Dice

Easy as @#$%& pie. The third one was a little more debatable. It could have been Satisfaction or IORR. And as much as I wanted to put Start Me Up, it is still kind of fun live.

Honestly, I'm shocked so many are saying Brown Sugar and JJF. To me, those are too big to put away, as opposed to the ones I listed which I feel were never as necessary as they always thought, thus they wouldn't be missed.

You got it the wrong way round. I changed the thread title now in an effort to make it more clear

What a moron. I thought it said the 3 you don't want in concert! I'm an idiot. Now the lists make a lot more sense lol!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 12, 2015 07:03

Jumpin Jack Flash
Tumbling Dice
Brown Sugar

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: June 12, 2015 08:04

Gimme Shelter
Tumblin Dice
YCAGWYW

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: June 12, 2015 09:39

Gimme shelter, tumblin' dice and YCAGWYW

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: June 12, 2015 10:49

It is not that I dislike the songs that some more, others a little less have been made warhorses. On the contrary, I do like them. However, to me those warhorses really belong to and ought to have belonged to some earlier tour(s). Another tour I would have wanted highlighted by other songs as their tour's identity giving songs.

In that spirit, I belong to the small minority that would like to have none of the mentionned songs included, if I have been permitted to choose.

Nothing would have made me more enthousiastic than if the band had made a new studio album and played songs therefrom live as the tour's essensial songs.

If anything, a couple of earlier tours' warhorses might successively have been rotating encores, as a crowdpleasing treat, if, hypothetically, I have had my way.

And when I am fully aware that such thinking is utopian, (but we were asked about our wishes), I have kept silent at my sadness that the band, after one concert only, left the concept of playing all of STICKY FINGERS during normal concerts and that way also abstained from giving some freshness, due to context, to the involved warhorses from that album.

Date: June 12, 2015 11:21

I would never be at a show and say «YES! They skipped Start Me Up and HTW tonight!»

It's easier having that thought in front of a computer, posting on a messageboard smiling smiley

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 12, 2015 11:21

Miss You
Sympathy For The Devil (in the current version) - a GYYYO version would be great

Posted by: Pete66 ()
Date: June 12, 2015 11:55

Could easily do without all of them.

But if I must name 3 it would be:

Tumbling dice
Start me up
You cant always get

Pete.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: June 12, 2015 11:55

DandelionPowderman
I would never be at a show and say «YES! They skipped Start Me Up and HTW tonight!»

It's easier having that thought in front of a computer, posting on a messageboard smiling smiley

I agree that it is in front of a computer that I do that kind of deliberation or rather my own versions of them.That is for instance, "YES, they substituted another song for "Start Me Up"", which could mean lessening of routine, adding of positive surprise, and my pleasure of the preferred alternative song granted.

In some contrast, present at the show, some of the same feeling is only vaguely registered with me, however, by the extra joy of having something out of the ordinary, whereas the joy tend to be more normal towards songs with warhorse status. I shall add that this distinction is my after the show recollection and reflection. In the knowledge of that, it is that I present thoughts or wishes on "Tell Me" for instance in a thread like this, or I may be saddened by what extra joys I read here about from one occasion, I am informed are not presented at other times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-12 11:58 by Witness.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 12, 2015 13:39

I think I would enjoy a concert where they skipped all songs before Some Girls.(Okey, they could throw in Sf or jjf as encores.) Let's face it - many of those warhorses have been played
so much it's almost painful to listen to them. Kind of like those Metallica songs used as means of torture by the U.S.Army...

Date: June 12, 2015 13:47

Sounds like withering fandom, rather than torturous songs to me winking smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 12, 2015 13:55

...or maybe an aching after something new and refreshing. Something to mix things up. To make things more exciting. We used to get that in the past if you do remember, Dandelion?

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: June 12, 2015 13:58

BROWN SUGAR

TUMBLIN' DICE

JUMPIN JACK FLASH

(unless START ME UP doesn't arrive as an opener, in the 2nd section it rarely works with songs like PIB, GS, SFTD etc).

I love those shows when we didn't receive Satisfaction,been a couple during the vegas years....

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 12, 2015 17:08

Brown Sugar
Gimme Shelter
Tumbling Dice

Surprised Street Fighting Man and Paint It Black aren't included.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 12, 2015 17:29

Jumpin' Jack Flash and Brown Sugar are essential items at any Stones show .

Third one for me would be Rambler, but not on list, so will have Start Me Up.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 12, 2015 17:48

Rocks Off

Luxury

Wild horses

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: June 12, 2015 17:53

crawdaddy
Jumpin' Jack Flash and Brown Sugar are essential items at any Stones show .

I kind of agree, but JFF has been omitted from the setlist at a small number of shows, with fantastic result: www.iorr.org

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 12, 2015 18:19

Fantastic result as in SFTD gets to be second encore? They did that at my very first show and when I listen to the boot now,
those horns annoy the crap outta me. It just can't get more vegas than that. Did they do it in Stockholm as well?

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: June 12, 2015 18:25

I go through phases of preferring some warhorses over others. I still think Satisfaction is a great song and used to think I had to have it played but I managed just fine without it at the end of the first 02 show in 2012 when they had to cut the show short to meet the curfew (dropping Lady Jane was the real shame for me).

So at present think I'd go for:

GS
BS
SMU

Date: June 12, 2015 18:28

Nikkei
Fantastic result as in SFTD gets to be second encore? They did that at my very first show and when I listen to the boot now,
those horns annoy the crap outta me. It just can't get more vegas than that. Did they do it in Stockholm as well?

No!, it must be one of the best versions I've ever heard, very little Vegas over this:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-12 18:29 by yeababyyea.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: June 12, 2015 18:34

Jumpin' Jack

Brown Sugar

Gimme Shelter

Date: June 12, 2015 18:42

Wow, that IS a hot version. I didn't realize it was the club show that you linked. But do you know what I mean when I talk about horns on SFTD? That's simply a no-go.

Date: June 12, 2015 18:49

Nikkei
Wow, that IS a hot version. I didn't realize it was the club show that you linked. But do you know what I mean when I talk about horns on SFTD? That's simply a no-go.

I strongly agree with you on the horns. Nice way to mess up a terrific song, and take away all the magic an encore should have. But did it annoy you already at the concert, or first when listening back to the tape?

Date: June 12, 2015 18:51

At the show I was only 10 years old, so it didn't really register with me I guess. What I do remember is the big twitching eye they had on the big screen.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1416
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home