Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: Bobby Keys tribute by Suffering Bastards, Nashville June 16
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 17, 2015 14:10

A funny thought just came into my head after hearing that The Stones have all watched this gig together. Haven't a clue when the last time they did this. An Awards ceremony way back maybe.
Also, when you think about it, Ronnie is the only one to have seen the Rolling Stones perform live.
Obviously Mick,Keith and Charlie have all been to the gigs as the performers, but never witnessed one in the audience. Maybe Charlie in the very early days when Carlo Little or Mick Avory were on the drums for a gig or two. winking smiley

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: June 17, 2015 15:09

Cool...Thanx for ALL the posts/pics.....I just knew this gig would be real special....

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: June 17, 2015 15:17

crawdaddy
A funny thought just came into my head after hearing that The Stones have all watched this gig together. Haven't a clue when the last time they did this. An Awards ceremony way back maybe.
Also, when you think about it, Ronnie is the only one to have seen the Rolling Stones perform live.
Obviously Mick,Keith and Charlie have all been to the gigs as the performers, but never witnessed one in the audience. Maybe Charlie in the very early days when Carlo Little or Mick Avory were on the drums for a gig or two. winking smiley

Didn't Charlie say that he catched the end of the Stones' very first show at the Marquee 12071962, after he returned from the BBC (where he had a session with Blues Inc. that night)?

N

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 17, 2015 15:34

You're probably right NeddieFlanders.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 17, 2015 16:07

The first part of the show was Pierre and the other Stones guitar and backline technicians like Dave doing a long long blues like 40+ minutes, with guests on blues guitar. Darryl was one of these guests - on guitar. Pierre talked a lot about Bobby Keys, it was the perfect long lasting blues.

Then there was a break in the show, they returned the screen on stage (it was there before the show started), and we saw Bobby Keys and Stones touring pictures for a while. Then the main part of the show started. A great show. Tim and Karl shared many saxophone solos. When did you see Can't You Hear Me Knocking with TWO sax players interchanging up front? Same with Brown Sugar. They had a lot of fun on stage, and Tim+Karl had a very close collaboration on stage for many solos.

I had my eye on the side door and backstage and I saw they arrive one by one : Charlie, Ronnie, Keith, Mick. I saw Matt Clifford (not on stage), and Lisa was there too I am told. Everybody in the band was there. A lot of Stones crew was there, it was packed in their section on "Ronnie side"... I never made pictures of them because it was clear they were there private. Offstage is private, onstage is public...

Keith and Charlie went backstage halfway in the second part of the show but they did not go on stage.

I have seen Charlie some times on such non-Stones shows/events, also Ronnie some times, Mick may be 20 years ago, but never Keith. It was a great tribute to Bobby Keys.

As far as I know this event took place organized by his son Jesse Keys among others. Jesse took the microphone some times to say some great words about his father. Some of us know Jesse from touring, he was with his father Bobby on tour with the Stones. Bobby lived here in Nashville just outside in Franklin. The Suffering Bastards is a great band and it was a great tribute.

They had placed Bobby's saxophone on the front of the stage, it was retired there, an d it was shining, really shining up there. On the very last song his son Jesse picked up his own saxophone (not the one on stage) and joined in with Tim and Karl for the ending. That was a great moment.

Mick, Keith, Charlie, Ronnie was there through the show. It is very unusual for me to be in a crowd where they are just a few feet behind. I tried not to turn my back and check what they did at all times, and concentrated on the show, but I have to admit I had my eyes around more than usual.

It was a fun night. Rest In Peace Bobby Keys.

PS. I took some photos, may be I will post them here later, I need some time.

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-17 16:55 by bv.

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: June 17, 2015 16:08

crawdaddy
What a great night it must have been, and a wonderful tribute to Bobby.

Everything seemed to be done just right with The Stones watching the show and the sidemen performing.

Did Mick and the lads stay till the end of the gig ? I do hope they did.

So glad you all had a great night everyone from IORR who were there.

Nashville show tonight and wish I was there with you all, but will be in spirit. smileys with beer

This sums up exactly how I feel. Agree with every word you've written. thumbs upsmiling smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 17, 2015 16:14

Thank you for the very touching outline, BV.

~ miss you Bobby yeah ~

Posted by: relms ()
Date: June 17, 2015 16:17

Thanks for the reviews, it made me kind of sad to read especially "They had placed Bobby's saxophone on the front of the stage, it was retired there".

I think it was respectful of the 4 Stones to attend and I am supposing they did not get up there and play so as not to upstage what the event was about.

RIP Bobby, you are missed.

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: June 17, 2015 16:45

Cristiano Radtke
Here's some pics that Beast has sent to me. It seems the band was enjoying this concert a lot, as well as the folks who were there. smiling smiley

Is that Steve Gorman on drums in this pic? I know there is a different drummer in the band but Steve used to play with them and this looks like him here.

Posted by: keef94 ()
Date: June 17, 2015 16:46

Lisa was there--she sat over by the window in the VIP area. The Sufferin' Bastards are great. I've always enjoyed Dan Baird, and he was working his tail off last night.

Date: June 17, 2015 16:52

keef94
The Sufferin' Bastards are great. I've always enjoyed Dan Baird, and he was working his tail off last night.

He always gives it all, but I can only imagine last night. Go Dan go!!!!

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: June 17, 2015 16:55

It was a great celebration of Mr Keys last night.

Standing a few feet from the Stones was strange - turn left and there is Keith talking to his wife; rotate my head a little and there is Mick; turn a bit more and Ronnie and his wife.

Great crowd, really enjoying the music - which was you can see from the set list was a list of Stones songs with some other Bobby favourites interspersed.

Tim Ries did a great job covering Bobby's parts in his own style (he very graciously mentioned that he couldn't imitate Bobby). Karl Denson added another dimension of excitement (he is really enjoying being part of the great Stones family it seems).

Bernard sang on a few numbers, powerfully, and for a couple we had Chuck also playing some great keyboards and singing. Sweet Virginia with this group was excellent.

It must have been strange for the Stones to hear what is essentially a cover band trying their stuff - Keith was looking and smiling during Virginia.

Bobby's son said a few words - as did a few others. In all a great, respectful, and emotional tribute to Mr Keys.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 17, 2015 17:00

bv
They had placed Bobby's saxophone on the front of the stage, it was retired there, an d it was shining, really shining up there.

Here's some more pics from Beast, with many thanks to her:

Posted by: cmc ()
Date: June 17, 2015 17:01

Exceptional reporting everyone. Your descriptions and details are amazing.

Thank you all.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 17, 2015 17:27

so happy for Dan Baird, Chark Kinsolving, Brad Pemberton, Michael Webb, Robert Kearns. ( yeah Steve Gorman did play with them for awhile)

they are Bobby Keys' other band. they played there at the Mercy Lounge many times. lots of gigs elsewhere.

for them to play with the Stones in attendance must have been great. remembering their friend.

Date: June 17, 2015 17:34

duke richardson
so happy for Dan Baird, Chark Kinsolving, Brad Pemberton, Michael Webb, Robert Kearns. ( yeah Steve Gorman did play with them for awhile)

they are Bobby Keys' other band. they played there at the Mercy Lounge many times. lots of gigs elsewhere.

for them to play with the Stones in attendance must have been great. remembering their friend.

Thanks I sure thought it looked like Steve in the above photo.

Posted by: Snoopy ()
Date: June 17, 2015 17:40

Thanks BV for your report! We never managed to get in, but hung around near the steps most of the night and could hear the music at least smiling smiley

STONES MAY BE TAKING THE STAGE SHORTLY
Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: June 17, 2015 06:00

Ronnie, Charlie, Chuck, Daryl, Tim are all here so far. No cameras. I will try to scope. LCDREAMTIME

Re: STONES MAY BE TAKING THE STAGE SHORTLY
Posted by: SackofBrokenEggs ()
Date: June 17, 2015 06:02

smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 17, 2015 06:13

smileys with beer

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 17, 2015 06:31

All the Stones? Wow this is turning into quite the event!

Don't even need to hold the camera up...just audio will be more than appreciated!

peace

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: June 17, 2015 10:25

Well they all showed up but only Chuck, Bernard & Tim performed. But I was really disappointed that only 7 people were watching my periscope?????

Re: The Rolling Stones at the Bobby Keys Tribute
Date: June 17, 2015 10:29

DREAMTIME
Well they all showed up but only Chuck, Bernard & Tim performed.

And Darryl and Karl.

Date: June 17, 2015 10:44

with sssoul
DREAMTIME
Well they all showed up but only Chuck, Bernard & Tim performed.

And Darryl and Karl.

And Pierre smiling smiley

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: June 17, 2015 13:15

What event is this ambiguous post about?

Cheers,
SonicD

Date: June 17, 2015 13:28

Sonic D, it's about the Bobby Keys tribute last night in Nashville.
The main thread where you can read about it is nearby.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-17 15:51 by with sssoul.

Posted by: relms ()
Date: June 17, 2015 14:06

DREAMTIME
Well they all showed up but only Chuck, Bernard & Tim performed. But I was really disappointed that only 7 people were watching my periscope?????

Posting a direct clickable link might have attracted more people, but even Stones shows only 100-250 watchers

Date: June 17, 2015 15:51

relms
Posting a direct clickable link might have attracted more people, but even Stones shows only 100-250 watchers

Posting in the thread about the event might have helped too, so people would know what you were referring to.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 17, 2015 16:20

DREAMTIME what is your username for Twitter?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 17, 2015 16:33

DREAMTIME

I followed you as soon as you posted info on twitter.. couldn't figure out how to tell if you were scoping.. A couple of us kept searching periscope for any footage and found the same sources... what did I (we) miss???
Would like to see your scoping in the future..

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1683
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home