Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526Next
Current Page: 23 of 26
Re: Atlanta GA USA 9-June-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Date: June 11, 2015 11:08

RoughJusticeOnYa
MidnightDevilRambler
Best CYHMK I've ever heard!

WOW!!!!

Good for ya -
but don't let the folks over at the "MT - what's on your mind right now"-thread hear ya... smoking smiley

It's educative for them, let 'em hear this grinning smiley

BTW, it's so good to see that Keith finally got the right-sounding guitar for CYHMK. That makes the song lightyears better, imo thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-11 11:16 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 11, 2015 11:55

DandelionPowderman

BTW, it's so good to see that Keith finally got the right-sounding guitar for CYHMK. That makes the song lightyears better, imo thumbs up

Fully agreed.
It's hard to judge of course, based on just YouTube clips, but I'm impressed.

I would also like to make my compliments to the horn section.
The solos on both Can't you hear me knocking and Miss You both brought something new
and interesting. Both saxophone players dare to go outside the box, and the result is
not a thousand notes manifesto of their abilities, but tasteful and swinging.
And it's been a long time since I heard such great horn fills on All down the line.
Great job!

About Some Girls: less words, more guitars. That was wonderful.
And yes: Can't you hear me knocking is more compact than ever before, which is a big
improvement. No time to doze off during these versions. They really keep it sharp.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: June 11, 2015 12:00

marcovandereijk
DandelionPowderman

Fully agreed.

I would also like to make my compliments to the horn section.
The solos on both Can't you hear me knocking and Miss You both brought something new
and interesting. Both saxophone players dare to go outside the box, and the result is
not a thousand notes manifesto of their abilities, but tasteful and swinging.
And it's been a long time since I heard such great horn fills on All down the line.
Great job!

About Some Girls: less words, more guitars. That was wonderful.
And yes: Can't you hear me knocking is more compact than ever before, which is a big
improvement. No time to doze off during these versions. They really keep it sharp.

Agree totally! thumbs up

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: June 11, 2015 12:27

DandelionPowderman
RoughJusticeOnYa
MidnightDevilRambler

WOW!!!!

Good for ya -
but don't let the folks over at the "MT - what's on your mind right now"-thread hear ya... smoking smiley

Absolutely. He's has always been far too clean on the live CYHMK. Good to hear a bit of crunch.

Date: June 11, 2015 12:36

I bet the Junior is easier to play as well.

Posted by: Jesse1960 ()
Date: June 11, 2015 12:39

Stunning. That is the best word to describe a show I was prepared to have mixed emotions about. Would have wrote this sooner, but I promptly zoned out after hoofing it all the way back to the Hyatt Regency. Infinitely superior to any shows I saw in 2005 or 2006. Didn't have the best seats in the stadium, but the sound was so good it didn't matter. And good sound quality reveals all. And Tuesday night, the Rolling Stones were not just the greatest band, but the best rock and roll band in the world.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 11, 2015 12:43

Nikkei
They threw out YGM as a bone and the effort was wildly appreciated. Let's see what they make of that.

I think they've already made up their minds : they'll play 2 songs off SF each night. So expect Morphine and a horn-laden IGTBlues one of these nights. hot smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-11 12:45 by dcba.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: June 11, 2015 12:46

DandelionPowderman
I bet the Junior is easier to play as well.

Yep!

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: June 11, 2015 13:21

TheBlockbuster
What has happened to ''All Down The Line''? Every time it's played it seems to be slower and less energetic:

2015: Too slow tempo for me to enjoy it.

2012: Just perfect.

Less energetic?????

Poor video whiner just move your fan heart into a live show.
Leave the dagerous drug of "Judging by Video".
It disturbs your fan heart.
WE NEED YOU here as a healthy, positive, real rocking and rolling fan.
Make a U-turn and come back. smiling smiley

Posted by: Marln864 ()
Date: June 11, 2015 14:13

Great!!!

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: June 11, 2015 16:00

Jesse1960
Stunning. That is the best word to describe a show I was prepared to have mixed emotions about. Would have wrote this sooner, but I promptly zoned out after hoofing it all the way back to the Hyatt Regency. Infinitely superior to any shows I saw in 2005 or 2006. Didn't have the best seats in the stadium, but the sound was so good it didn't matter. And good sound quality reveals all. And Tuesday night, the Rolling Stones were not just the greatest band, but the best rock and roll band in the world.

A very hearty amen to this review! Stunning is correct.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: June 11, 2015 16:02

caschimann

Take it easy.
I saw them perform All Down The Line LIVE in concert in Stockholm 2014, with the same slow tempo as in Atlanta, and it was very weak. All I could think of was ''PLAY FASTER, PLAY FASTER goddammit''.
I feel no need to stay healthy or positive when there's nothing to be positive about. eye rolling smiley
With that said, I still think they're playing most of their songs better now in 2015 than they did in 2012. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-11 16:09 by TheBlockbuster.

thumbs upthumbs upRe: Atlanta GA USA 9-June-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: June 11, 2015 16:58

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: VOODOOSEBI ()
Date: June 11, 2015 18:53

MidnightDevilRambler
Irix
The T-Shirts looking almost better than the Poster itself:

[rollingstones.shop.bravadousa.com] · [store.interscope.com]

I checked 4 merchant stands including the field and they didn't have these shirts on sale. Anybody else find them at the show ?

This thing at the end of the stadium looks like a 70´version of the bigger bang stagesmileys with beer

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 11, 2015 19:25

TheBlockbuster
caschimann

Take it easy.
I saw them perform All Down The Line LIVE in concert in Stockholm 2014, with the same slow tempo as in Atlanta, and it was very weak. All I could think of was ''PLAY FASTER, PLAY FASTER goddammit''.
I feel no need to stay healthy or positive when there's nothing to be positive about. eye rolling smiley
With that said, I still think they're playing most of their songs better now in 2015 than they did in 2012. smiling smiley

you are not supposed to have any discretion, you are supposed to love everything. Anything less is a whine. it's the new rules.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: June 11, 2015 19:30

Just listening to a recorded audio tape part on soundcloud and yes this was one hell of a CYHMK in Atlanta. Ronnie's solo was great here, Keith had the confidence and a different guitar, and last but not least the sax solo was GREAT.

Atlanta on Stonesvault? Bring it on!

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 11, 2015 19:31

Bit redundant at this point, but here's the best YGM recording as of now:

taken from the complete-show recording uploaded by Jsw113 [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: June 11, 2015 19:59

Nikkei
Bit redundant at this point, but here's the best YGM recording as of now:

taken from the complete-show recording uploaded by Jsw113 [www.youtube.com]

Brings a huge smile to my face!

Date: June 11, 2015 20:02

Mongoose
MidnightDevilRambler
Mongoose
Got back home from the show around 1:00 am, crawled into bed around 1:30, and I'm here with my cup of coffee, ready to post some thoughts about last night's amazing show!

First of all, I did, indeed, stand out in front of the Varsity with my small "IORR.ORG" sign, and was promptly told by Atlanta Police to move along, "you can't stand here." Wow. 60 years old, and hassled by the Police at a Stones concert! (not really, he was actually very nice about it). Still, it was almost like the old days! Glad I decided against trying to put together a musician jam session out there, because it would have been very short lived.

So, I walked a block away, over the bridge, and hung around there (with my sign) for about 30 minutes or so. I had at least nine IORR posters stop by and introduce themselves, nice folks and very pleasant conversation, so it was a good start to a great evening.

The big moment for me in the show was the threesome of Can You Hear Me Knocking (FINALLY, I got to HEAR that one LIVE!), You Got to Move, and Some Girls. Blew me away, just one of those great concert moments where you are dancing and singing and smiling and having a fabulous time.

I was in the upper deck, and was surrounded by many folks that were "first timers," and everyone left the show very impressed. In fact, there were so many people that I met last night, on MARTA, everywhere, that were seeing their very first Stones concert. With that in mind, it is easy to understand why we get the warhorses every night. We die hards love the deep cuts, but, with this group last night, a performance of Parachute Woman or Loving Cup would have produced a lot of shrugs and quizzical looks.

Last night, though, was a great evening for everyone, regardless of your favorite Stones tunes. I hated to miss Moonlight Mile, but hearing CYHMK more than made up for it.

Ronnie was hot as a firecracker. Keith was a little shaky on Happy, but seemed to be genuinely enjoying himself. Charlie was solid as a rock (teenage girls sitting next to me: "Boy, he REALLY looks old!" ), and what can you say about Mick......still the best front man in all of rock and roll.

All in all, of the 10 Stones shows I have attended, I put this one in the top 5, and that is more than remarkable considering these concerts have covered a span of 40 years.

Now, guys, before we open up the vaults, how about ONE more studio album?

cool smiley

Mongoose

We were at the Varsity around 6:00 and didn't get to see you. Thanks for your efforts. Maybe next time wear an IORR tshirt even if you have to bootleg it. winking smiley

Hey, sorry I missed you! We'll have to connect at the next show, OK?

I've been on sort of a "Stones High" all day today thinking about last night's show. I feel very fortunate that I've now seen my favorite band ten times.

Are you from Atlanta? If not, I hope you enjoyed your stay in our beautiful city!

Cheers!

Mongoose

Food and weather were great in ATL, especially The Varsity.
We are from NC around Asheville area. Our next show will be Raleigh, maybe we can meet up there!

Thanks,

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Date: June 11, 2015 20:05

Rokyfan
1969Fan
The Sicilian
I think they sounded really good from the Periscope clips I heard before falling asleep when Miss You started. If anything, I think the band's playing has surpassed Mick's singing. I've come to believe that he will not sing a lot of the songs because he can't sing it with the growl or earlier high pitch that he used to.

But lets be honest, many here are grading the entire setlist off songs 6-7-8. I personally think it is a BIG letdown as soon as I hear HTW fall in at number 9. Essentially the show is over at that point. No surprises, no extra numbers, the same woo hoo's and everything in order. Sure it's nice to hear the old favorites but I really want to hear them work at some of the other stuff. At least give it a shot. Sometimes it works and sometimes not, but the effort is appreciated.

Today was a chemo day. So I was re-reading Stanley Booth's book on the 1969 Tour. He supports his narrative of that iconic tour with chapters on the Stones pre-1969. He wrote about Mick talking in 1966 about the need to play the tunes their audiences wanted and expected to hear when they played live. Sound familiar?

I suspect most of the people who contribute to IORR have seen more than one Stones concert. Way more than one concert. Some, like bv, schedule their lives around tours. A sacrifice to be sure, but more power to you, bv! We are the richer for it. I also suspect a large percentage of those in attendance at Zip Code shows have not seen the Stones more than once or twice. Maybe never. They want to hear and see the Stones perform JJF, BS, MR, SFM, HTW, GS, SFTD, SMU, etc, etc, etc, with their very own ears and eyeballs. Doing Sticky Fingers in its entirety worked at the Fonda. It may not work in front of 50,000 people who paid handsomely to see a historic band they may see once every 10 or 20 years.

I watched some of Dallas on periscope. I thought they sounded great! And all the tunes I heard were tunes I've heard many times before in concert. Instead of complaining about the set lists, let's enjoy what they play. It's possible that the Rolling Stones may know more about what works in concert than most of us IORRians do.

That's what I think. Any comments from the diverse world of IORRland?

I think you hit the nail on the head. The tour is for those people. And they don't mind a one minute You Got To Move, Some Girls without the harmonica and a stump of CYHMK either.

X2, in reality about the only way to sell that many tickets for one venue. I talked as always with a lot of concert goers to pass the time and my unscientific survey had about 50% first timers including the couple in their 20's beside us. They left the show feeling the "Stones really delivered" and from what I could see they knew the words to several of the warhorses too.

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Date: June 11, 2015 20:07

bv
crawdaddy
I hope all things are O.K. with BV.

Haven't heard from him since before the Atlanta gig and no reports of the show.

Hope all is well with you BV.

No worries. I was very busy in Atlanta... just arrived into Orlando, have to change hotel, too bad, will be online tomorrow and update pages reports etc.

Altanta was great, very humid. Mich was sweating like crazy, same with me, hot hot hot humid humid humid. Long live the Stones, Southwest and small intimate hotels in Orlando. So great I found a new hotel and got to dumb the big ugly one. More tomorrow.

BV

You are going to have to get out of Norway and down south more often. For Atlanta the thunderstorm that came through cooled it off nicely. Anytime you get mid 70's at night in Atlanta is a gift.

Glad you are traveling safe.

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 11, 2015 20:10

caschimann
TheBlockbuster
What has happened to ''All Down The Line''? Every time it's played it seems to be slower and less energetic:

2015: Too slow tempo for me to enjoy it.

2012: Just perfect.

Less energetic?????

And what if others PRAISE the band by "judging by video"? That's ok, eh?
Honestly, cool down, behave yourself and act like an adult, not like a 12 year-old girl who's been let out by her parents to see the Bay City Rollers for the first time in her life.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 11, 2015 20:15

DandelionPowderman
RoughJusticeOnYa
MidnightDevilRambler

WOW!!!!

Good for ya -

...and it would be a perfect guitar for "Sway"...

...apart from that, this is actually the first live version of CYHMK that actually blows my socks off, and that includes the ones with Taylor. Tight, punchy, totally to the point, no endless noodling - simply GREAT!

Posted by: stonesfrkk ()
Date: June 11, 2015 21:14

Glad to see your ok bv! I was a little worried there myself, your a monster! lol. Get some rest Brother. Enjoy the show tomorrow night. I'll see you down the road apiece.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: June 11, 2015 23:37

marcovandereijk
DandelionPowderman

Fully agreed.

I was totally blown away.

I expected to hear Bitch when Mick said they would play a couple of songs from Sticky,
because Keith had a Gibson Les Paul Junior in his hands.
When Mick said they were going to do CYHMK, I realized that Keith had his Junior tuned in open G.
The sound was as close to the original record as it can get.

The Telecaster is perfect for Start Me Up etc., but it just doesn't cut it for Knocking.
But it was not just the sound, it was the playing too. Great guitar work and perfect timing.
This version can't be compared with what they did on Licks and Bigger Bang.
This was the real deal.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 12, 2015 00:03

So it's widely agreed this was a great show. How does it compare to other great shows from the past?

Best show I've seen them (or anuone else) do.

Yes. I have seen Bruce, U2, the Who, Macca, Skynyrd, and other at their A-game. Not trying to take anything away from them, just saying ......

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 12, 2015 00:04

CYHMK is very tight and groovy indeed. enjoyed the clip very much

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: June 12, 2015 00:37

Elmo Lewis
How does it compare to other great shows from the past?

Hard to say. It's probably in the top 3 since 2012.
Maybe in top 500 shows of their whole career, who knows.
But there were plenty of ''great shows'' 1962-2007.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: June 12, 2015 00:49

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: June 12, 2015 01:00

EasterMan
Elmo Lewis
How does it compare to other great shows from the past?

Hard to say. It's probably in the top 3 since 2012.
Maybe in top 500 shows of their whole career, who knows.
But there were plenty of ''great shows'' 1962-2007.

Have to disagree.
Atlanta was a GREAT show, but not outstanding.
Sure, they played some songs that they rarely do - and they did perform them very well too, I might add. But the so called warhorses were not performed any better or worse than normally. Well, Start Me Up sounded fresh. Tumbling Dice was a very good version. But Midnight Rambler was almost a train wreck at times, it sounded nothing like it normally does. I don't know what went wrong, but Keith messed up Happy and Rambler so much that he disappeared from stage and was not back before halfway through the first verse of Miss You. Brown Sugar, Sympathy, YCAGWYW and Satisfaction sounded just like I would expect. No more, no less - which means it was great versions, but certainly not top 3 since 2012! But that's just my opinion. Still, I'll have to say, that Knocking and Gotta Move was worth the admission price alone.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526Next
Current Page: 23 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1681
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home