Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526
Current Page: 26 of 26
Re: Atlanta GA USA 9-June-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 12, 2015 23:32

Naturalust
Rokyfan
Two guys that cannot deal with each other except from a distance does not translate into memorable art.)

Maybe not in Mick and Keith's case but there are plenty of examples where just such friction creates a competitive environment which leads to some amazing music.

I also don't thinks it's fair or accurate to say they don't believe in their music. Mick is apparently still writing prolifically and Keith has a new record in the can. I think they just believe that new music isn't going to promote their business interests in any significant way and the business of the Stones has become so huge and profitable that it trumps their artistic considerations.

peace

I'm sure they each believe in the music they make, but it is different. Mick does his thing and believes in it, Keith his. I meant that they didn't believe in their work together from the "modern" age post-89. They put out a bunch of one off albums, some of which had some pretty good stuff, but never believed in it, never developed it, and as a result the setlist never changed. It's like they had to get together to do a new album in order to tour, each time. instead of the music growing out of reality, as their masterpieces did.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 13, 2015 00:28

Naturalust
LongBeachArena72
Nikkei
LongBeachArena72
But I do it because THEY have not evolved. We're stuck with no new music, a calcified approach to the catalog, and the sad fact that the original ONLY BAND THAT MATTERS (apologies to The Clash) hasn't really mattered in decades.

What would they need to do to matter once again in your opinion? Write better songs? Churn out more albums? Lead the charts?
I believe they choose to only matter where the money is these days. You can ask any concert promoter and he'll tell you they matter.

It's a good question, and I'm not sure what the answer is. Obviously, it must start with the music. One record in 18 years is ridiculous. But the position of music in society has changed. Music is not nearly as important in defining an era as it once was. No one has really bucked this trend in many years.

I guess my gut tells me that The Stones should have BELIEVED in themselves more. I'd be going to see them if they played amphitheaters instead of stadia and played music they believed in, rather than the globe-trotting victory lap they've been on forever. It's not hard to understand why they made the choices they did. I just wish they'd not have given a @#$%& about the size of their audience and tried to take their nasty post-apocalyptic blues to the next level, whatever that would have been.

I understand completely, but as you say there is no mold for what these guys are doing. The music business has been totally shaken up in the last 20 years with the business of touring emerging as the top income stream by a long shot. I get the feeling if new record sales were still the best business bet for rock bands, Mick and Co. would have found a way to continue making and selling new music. Blame Napster.

It's all about the business of the Stones. The touring and the marketing of the brand. It's a testament to how good those original records were that they are still able to successfully capitalize on them and continue on this decades old victory lap as you describe it. The Stones are masters of promising a little more and then basically selling us the same product they've been hawking for 40 years.

Yes, music is somewhat less important, with all the media entertainment and other stuff available and highly marketed to people it's easy to see how is has been diluted from the singularly awesome experience it was years ago. Combine that with the way it is delivered these days, single songs, streamed for pennies (or free) and any individual artist only gets a short time to make a impact. Even if they have a new record, it's unlikely anybody's going to hear the whole thing in the running order it was created.

In the end the Stones have grown and evolved in a business sense, but not a musical sense. It shows us that they are businessmen first, and musicians and musical innovators second. It's pretty clear that's the path they have chosen and all their energy goes into putting on a great show, selling lots of tickets and trying to convince us that the 40 year old tunes are as fresh as the day they were hatched. The nostalgia is not just for the Stones music but for the importance and impact all music once had, imo.

I really don't think it has much to do with their believing in themselves as much as the knowledge and wisdom of what it takes to succeed in the music business in the 21st century. No one can deny their success. That's their goal, not fresh new nasty post-apocalyptic blues.

peace

Damn it, NL, try as I might it's difficult for me to disagree with any of this.

I also know that my tendency is to take them more seriously as "artists" than probably they ever took themselves.

Finally, I think you could actually turn my argument on its head and argue that, for the reasons you cite above, The Stones have actually "evolved" in a far more sophisticated (and profitable!) way than even Dylan. You could say that it's Bob who's stuck in the old time-warp, releasing records and then touring behind them. How 20th century can you get?

Maybe history will NOT judge TIME OUT OF MIND, "LOVE AND THEFT," MODERN TIMES, TOGETHER THROUGH LIFE, TEMPEST, and whatever he comes up with next very kindly since so few people heard those records and the artist who recorded them was so marginalized (in a commercial sense) by the time of their release. But I've gotten such a kick out of those songs that it just makes me pine for what might have been with The Stones.

BTW, re: Bob, tell me this isn't the best Stones track since, well, since a long time ago:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 13, 2015 00:29

Rokyfan
Naturalust
Rokyfan
Two guys that cannot deal with each other except from a distance does not translate into memorable art.)

Maybe not in Mick and Keith's case but there are plenty of examples where just such friction creates a competitive environment which leads to some amazing music.

I also don't thinks it's fair or accurate to say they don't believe in their music. Mick is apparently still writing prolifically and Keith has a new record in the can. I think they just believe that new music isn't going to promote their business interests in any significant way and the business of the Stones has become so huge and profitable that it trumps their artistic considerations.

peace

I'm sure they each believe in the music they make, but it is different. Mick does his thing and believes in it, Keith his. I meant that they didn't believe in their work together from the "modern" age post-89. They put out a bunch of one off albums, some of which had some pretty good stuff, but never believed in it, never developed it, and as a result the setlist never changed. It's like they had to get together to do a new album in order to tour, each time. instead of the music growing out of reality, as their masterpieces did.

I'll buy that, but wasn't ABB the just the kind of project where they tried to work together and spend time developing the songs together? They have certainly grown into two such very different people, personalities and lifestyles, perhaps you are right that the common chemistry is just gone.

peace

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 13, 2015 01:08

Yeah LongBeach72, from a purely personal perspective I appreciate and respect what Bob is doing considerably more than the Stones, however unpopular that may be on this board.

Bob is more of a discriminating and intellectual artist while the Stones are more least common denominator Rock and Roll. Each may be somehow tied to those artistic values more than we know and as such who are we to judge that one lends itself to playing hits for large audiences while the other requires new music both live and recorded. I'm playing a bit of devils advocate here of course but it's possible both are meeting their respective artistic needs, but have widely different artistic values.

As a musician I don't really believe that though and, like I said, think the Stones have chosen their path mainly for business reasons. They are such good performers though it's truly hard to tell if Keith still get's his rocks off playing those songs for the upteenth time. I think Mick is easier to read and it's pretty clear he is just acting to me. The true passion for that music is gone but what's left is a pretty good copy and he obviously still has some fun with it all.

In the end, I think the Stones will be judged as superbly successful business men who capitalized on their enormous early creativity and kept the train rolling till the very end. While Bob will be judged as an amazing artist who continued to be suberbly creative till the very end with varying levels of success.

Thanks for those Bob tracks!

peace

Posted by: MSMOONLIGHT ()
Date: June 13, 2015 04:17

Thanks Nikkei!

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: June 14, 2015 21:06

A little late, but here are a few pics from Atlanta.
Another great show!

Used Lucky Dip this time -- and didn't get Lucky with my seats. Sat about 2 rows from the top on the side. Saw someone behind me in Lucky Dip line pull 5th row.
Still had a great time. Crowd up top was great (much younger than down below - on their feet the whole time singing and dancing), sound was very good, had great view of beautiful sunset and heard You Gotta Move!

Although I sat in the rafters, 2 of my brothers and their kids (aged 14 & 13) sat on the floor. My niece was handed one of Keith's guitar pics from some guy. They're not sure who he was, but someone nearby said he worked for the band.

So while I was unlucky with the Lucky Dip seats, got to see another great show, and my niece got a Keith Richards guitar pic a few days after my son caught one of Charlie's drum sticks. Pretty lucky after all!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-14 21:11 by GS1978.

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: June 14, 2015 21:25

That picture you have of the crowd at sunset, GS1978, on the far left of the frame, the woman and man looking at you and then continue down beyond the blue object to the two knees that would be me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-14 21:26 by tonyc.

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: June 14, 2015 22:10

tonyc
That picture you have of the crowd at sunset, GS1978, on the far left of the frame, the woman and man looking at you and then continue down beyond the blue object to the two knees that would be me.

Wow - Were you wearing a blue shirt with a red baseball hat with a black bill?
I cropped that shot and still have original version which shows more of you.
If you want a copy, email me at [email protected].

Did you have Lucky Dip too?

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: June 15, 2015 00:06

Testing

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: June 15, 2015 00:20

I was close, Mick got to see me!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-15 00:26 by tumblingdice.

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: June 15, 2015 16:25

GS1978
tonyc

Wow - Were you wearing a blue shirt with a red baseball hat with a black bill?
I cropped that shot and still have original version which shows more of you.
If you want a copy, email me at [email protected].

Did you have Lucky Dip too?

I had on a black Rolling Stones 40 Licks tour shirt and gray shorts.

Yes, I was Lucky Dip, too. I think that section was put on sale the day before the show so most people in that area probably were.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 15, 2015 23:44

I have added some of my Atlanta photos to the reports pages for Atlanta:

[www.iorr.org]

Bjornulf

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: June 30, 2015 16:03

post-concert turf replacement at Bobby Dodd...

[georgiatech.blog.ajc.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526
Current Page: 26 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2145
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home