Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526Next
Current Page: 24 of 26
Re: Atlanta GA USA 9-June-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 12, 2015 01:07

EasterMan
Elmo Lewis
How does it compare to other great shows from the past?

Hard to say. It's probably in the top 3 since 2012.
Maybe in top 500 shows of their whole career, who knows.
But there were plenty of ''great shows'' 1962-2007.

They are very good these days but comparing (the music of) any modern show to the ones when Keith was truly on fire, especially the ones where Taylor was present is going to be futile, imo.

The show itself these days is so much more a spectacle and that in itself may qualify more modern ones as in the top tier of 'shows". But judging purely from the music, there is no way I could say Atlanta was anywhere near one of the best.

peace

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: June 12, 2015 01:08

The Worst.
EasterMan
Elmo Lewis

Have to disagree.
Atlanta was a GREAT show, but not outstanding.
Sure, they played some songs that they rarely do - and they did perform them very well too, I might add. But the so called warhorses were not performed any better or worse than normally. Well, Start Me Up sounded fresh. Tumbling Dice was a very good version. But Midnight Rambler was almost a train wreck at times, it sounded nothing like it normally does. I don't know what went wrong, but Keith messed up Happy and Rambler so much that he disappeared from stage and was not back before halfway through the first verse of Miss You. Brown Sugar, Sympathy, YCAGWYW and Satisfaction sounded just like I would expect. No more, no less - which means it was great versions, but certainly not top 3 since 2012! But that's just my opinion. Still, I'll have to say, that Knocking and Gotta Move was worth the admission price alone.

Ok, thanks for you first hand perspective. I didn't attend the show, I just thought it sounded better on recording than many of the gigs I've attended since 2012. Actually there has been a very large number of mediocre shows the last years. I thought this one was special because of the setlist. JJF and SMU sounds fantastic on the recording I downloaded from Atlanta, noticeably better than they did at many other shows. Haven't listened through the whole show yet though.

What shows since 2012 would you suggest was better than Atlanta?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-12 01:13 by EasterMan.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 12, 2015 01:08

I wasn't there and youtubes are obviously a miniscule vantage on being there but although Keith's guitar sound on Knocking is a vast improvement, the piano and backup vocals don't really do justice to the album version. Still, great stuff. Not even close to jazz.

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: June 12, 2015 01:12

How about a comparison to other Atlanta shows? I went to 1994 #1, 1997, 2002, 2006 and 2015. Setlists may have been longer/better at other shows but musical performance I think 2015 is hard to beat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-12 01:16 by tonyc.

Posted by: longhorn14 ()
Date: June 12, 2015 01:15

Can we shorten the timeframe here? Can we say these past 2 or 3 shows were better than antying since 1999?

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: June 12, 2015 01:24

EasterMan
The Worst.
EasterMan
Elmo Lewis

Have to disagree.
Atlanta was a GREAT show, but not outstanding.
Sure, they played some songs that they rarely do - and they did perform them very well too, I might add. But the so called warhorses were not performed any better or worse than normally. Well, Start Me Up sounded fresh. Tumbling Dice was a very good version. But Midnight Rambler was almost a train wreck at times, it sounded nothing like it normally does. I don't know what went wrong, but Keith messed up Happy and Rambler so much that he disappeared from stage and was not back before halfway through the first verse of Miss You. Brown Sugar, Sympathy, YCAGWYW and Satisfaction sounded just like I would expect. No more, no less - which means it was great versions, but certainly not top 3 since 2012! But that's just my opinion. Still, I'll have to say, that Knocking and Gotta Move was worth the admission price alone.

Ok, thanks for you first hand perspective. I didn't attend the show, I just thought it sounded better on recording than many of the gigs I've attended since 2012. Actually there has been a very large number of mediocre shows the last years. I thought this one was special because of the setlist. JJF and SMU sounds fantastic on the recording I downloaded from Atlanta, noticeably better than they did at many other shows. Haven't listened through the whole show yet though.

What shows since 2012 would you suggest was better than Atlanta?

I can only tell based on the concerts I've attended myself, and
it's always difficult to compare shows and rate them.
But I think the O2 and Hyde Park shows in London in 2012/13 were all fantastic,
so was Dusseldorf last year. I also enjoyed Berlin and Paris a lot.

From what I've heard and read from fans I trust and respect,
Toronto 2013, Glastonbury 2013, Landgraaf 2014 and Fonda 2015 were outstanding shows.

Still, I have to say, Atlanta ranks among the most enjoyable shows I've attended,
especially because of that killer version of Can't You Hear Me Knocking.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: June 12, 2015 01:26

tonyc
How about a comparison to other Atlanta shows? I went to #1 in 1994, 1997, 2002, 2006 and 2015. Setlists may have been longer/better at other shows but musicianship I think 2015 is hard to beat.

Hmm, I can clearly say that the 1997 and 2002 shows were better without even attending them or listening to the bootlegs. When it comes to musicianship they are not even close to what they were 15 years ago. If you disagree with that you are fooling yourself. It's nothing strange either, since they're older now. Nobody expects Chuck Berry to play like he did 15 years ago.

In 2006 they were largely inconsistent , some shows were great, some were disastrous. So it's hard to say, I will have to seek out a bootleg.

The 1994-tour has been said to have been a ''going thru the motions'' tour. I will have to listen to a recording.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-12 01:28 by EasterMan.

Date: June 12, 2015 01:30

I for one think they play better now than in 2006/07.

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: June 12, 2015 01:35

I've only saw them 5 times since 1997, but of those 5 I think this was the best overall performance wise. All were great though and during those 5 shows I've seen 50 different songs. Not bad at all and some rare ones indeed.
For this show only complaint was the line missing from SG but the guitars were good, Keith lost his place at the end of Happy but covered it well, and the solo from Ronnie on TD seemed like he had some sound or mix issues. All else was great, and they seemed to turn Keith up really high on Shelter and from then on the show was even better. Heard some licks on Rambler I hadn't heard before and Keith was very active on stage from the start coming down the ramp a bit at show start. So it's top in my 5 Stones show list for what that is worth and honestly YGM and SG wasn't songs I wanted to get so that doesn't sway my feelings at all.

Posted by: catchinem ()
Date: June 12, 2015 01:36

The modern sound system blew me away where I was, dead center of the floor. That was a big factor in my thoughts of it being close to if not the best I've seen of them. They could have screwed up every song but it still would have sounded good.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: June 12, 2015 01:37

Nikkei
Bit redundant at this point, but here's the best YGM recording as of now:

taken from the complete-show recording uploaded by Jsw113 [www.youtube.com]

Hey Nikkei, could you make a campaign like this on twitter for #I Got The Blues before Buffalo? winking smiley

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 12, 2015 01:43

alieb
Hey Nikkei, could you make a campaign like this on twitter for #I Got The Blues before Buffalo? winking smiley

Won't hurt to try... but I got no idea how to turn the song title into a request.
"Hey Stones, I got the blues!" would be dishonest as I'm quite happy with them at the moment. They got to move, after all

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: June 12, 2015 01:49

I was expecting IGTB in Atlanta, but can't complain. Maybe Nashville? I doubt it as they think everyone will want to hear country and we'll get DF. I'm ok with that too though, really been enjoying all the DF versions on the super deluxe.

Date: June 12, 2015 01:49

Nikkei
alieb

Won't hurt to try... but I got no idea how to turn the song title into a request.
"Hey Stones, I got the blues!" would be dishonest as I'm quite happy with them at the moment. They got to move, after all

I got the blues when you don't got the blues?

I got the blues when you don't play I got the blues?

Date: June 12, 2015 01:55

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out getting there... You have to keep in mind that Keith did mention YGM as a likely candidate in his RS interview.
(of course I like to imagine that push came to shove when they saw all those Fav and RTs)

Date: June 12, 2015 01:57

Nikkei
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out getting there... You have to keep in mind that Keith did mention YGM as a likely candidate in his RS interview.
(of course I like to imagine that push came to shove when they saw all those Fav and RTs)

I am clinging to the hope that it did

Date: June 12, 2015 01:59

alright we try it then.

Date: June 12, 2015 02:08

The Worst.
but Keith messed up Happy and Rambler so much that he disappeared from stage and was not back before halfway through the first verse of Miss You. .

"Debugging" the performance perhaps? winking smiley

peace

Date: June 12, 2015 02:13

Does inhaling pure oxygen also count as Performance Debugging?

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: June 12, 2015 02:26

Keith's so sick on that Some Girls, so awesome they dug this one out for the 3rd time since the No Security tour...very solid stuff.

Date: June 12, 2015 02:26

Naturalust
The Worst.
but Keith messed up Happy and Rambler so much that he disappeared from stage and was not back before halfway through the first verse of Miss You. .

peace

Don't get me wrong, Keith was on fire most of the show!!

Date: June 12, 2015 02:48

The Worst.
Naturalust
The Worst.

peace

Don't get me wrong, Keith was on fire most of the show!!

Jagger is indeed missing Keith during the start Miss You. At 0:22 you can see him look for Keith and do a huge double take when he's noticeably absent. Perhaps he was only puffing on a Marlboro Red out of sight.

peace

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 12, 2015 03:11

Here's a complete video of You Gotta Move:

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: June 12, 2015 03:52

this guy just uploaded almost the entire show, great quality...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 12, 2015 04:23

mnewman505

[www.youtube.com]

Just caught Satisfaction here, which I didn't hear the night of the show online:
Excellent version, with a great crowd response to it and the final bows!

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: June 12, 2015 04:29

EasterMan
tonyc
How about a comparison to other Atlanta shows? I went to #1 in 1994, 1997, 2002, 2006 and 2015. Setlists may have been longer/better at other shows but musicianship I think 2015 is hard to beat.

Hmm, I can clearly say that the 1997 and 2002 shows were better without even attending them or listening to the bootlegs. When it comes to musicianship they are not even close to what they were 15 years ago. If you disagree with that you are fooling yourself. It's nothing strange either, since they're older now. Nobody expects Chuck Berry to play like he did 15 years ago.

In 2006 they were largely inconsistent , some shows were great, some were disastrous. So it's hard to say, I will have to seek out a bootleg.

The 1994-tour has been said to have been a ''going thru the motions'' tour. I will have to listen to a recording.

I was at the 1997 and 2002 shows and can say this one was better - soundwise and bandwise (they were really enjoying themselves, all smiles, none of the old glaring, staring bad boys - but laughing friends).

Yes, 1997 had "Like A Rolling Stone", "Out of Control", "Saint Of Me" and "Last Time" and 2002 had "Monkey Man", "Rooster" and "Whip" but Tuesday was really something else.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: June 12, 2015 04:39

angee
mnewman505

[www.youtube.com]

Just caught Satisfaction here, which I didn't hear the night of the show online:
Excellent version, with a great crowd response to it and the final bows!

I watched Some Girls again, and I know Mick purposely omitted the "Fracked all night"bit but I can't tell if that ending was intentional or was just Mick forgetting the lyrics...

Posted by: MSMOONLIGHT ()
Date: June 12, 2015 04:50

I was there on the 9th row right by the runway. Although I am a long time Stones fan, this was my first show. I am just now getting my mind back working well enough to type this because my mind was completely blown! It was the best night of my life! Mick threw water on me and I will never be the same. I can't wait to do it all over again in Nashville. Stones Fan 4 Life!

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 12, 2015 06:44

Rokyfan
TheBlockbuster
caschimann
Poor video whiner just move your fan heart into a live show.
Leave the dagerous drug of "Judging by Video".
It disturbs your fan heart.
WE NEED YOU here as a healthy, positive, real rocking and rolling fan.
Make a U-turn and come back. smiling smiley

Take it easy.
I saw them perform All Down The Line LIVE in concert in Stockholm 2014, with the same slow tempo as in Atlanta, and it was very weak. All I could think of was ''PLAY FASTER, PLAY FASTER goddammit''.
I feel no need to stay healthy or positive when there's nothing to be positive about. eye rolling smiley
With that said, I still think they're playing most of their songs better now in 2015 than they did in 2012. smiling smiley

you are not supposed to have any discretion, you are supposed to love everything. Anything less is a whine. it's the new rules.

Since I do not go to Stones concerts anymore, I try to refrain from commenting on the live show threads. I do glance at them from time to time and have been amazed at the fervent they-can-do-no-wrong attitude that seems characteristic of this tour. But, to each his own, and I'm glad people are still able to dig the band.

But, since others have commented using nothing other than digital video, and since there have been posters here suggesting that this Atlanta show belongs in the pantheon of great historical performances, I cannot resist two remarks, based on my listening to CYHMK and Some Girls:

1) we are truly down the rabbit hole, and

2) the Emperor, indeed, has no clothes!

Date: June 12, 2015 08:36

And 3. You are perhaps comparing men in their 70s to who they were in their 20s? smiling smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526Next
Current Page: 24 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1829
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home