Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 26
Atlanta GA USA 9-June-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 9, 2015 16:25

This thread is for live updates and comments regarding The Rolling Stones Atlanta GA USA 9-June-2015 show. Please tell us your pre- and post-show thoughts and comments here.

Atlanta show videos thread : [www.iorr.org]

Bobby Dodd Stadium
Atlanta, GA, USA
Tuesday June 9, 2015

Expected show start time 9pm to 9:30pm local time.

Atlanta is on Eastern Standard Time in America. Add 6 hours for Central European time, add 5 hours for UK time and so on.

Atlanta GA USA Rolling Stones 2015 show and travel info : [www.iorr.org]

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-11 00:08 by bv.

Re: Atlanta GA USA 9-June-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: June 9, 2015 16:39

Staying with my brother in Atlanta for tonight's show.
He hosted a barbecue last night and served this sauce.
Great omen for a show on the day of the reissue of Sticky Fingers.

Come on Mick & Keith -- give us a heavy dose of Sticky Fingers tonight.

Spread it on thick...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-09 16:40 by GS1978.

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: June 9, 2015 16:48

Will be getting ready soon to head that way in a few hours. Wanted to share this as I know you guys will understand...I was lucky enough to see a row 5 ticket Friday in section E. Being obsessive I still had to keep looking at the tickets even though I couldn't buy another (negative in my account to make this trip) and what comes up around 1 am this morning? Same section and almost same seat but on row 1!!! I was so mad and sad at the same time! If only I hadn't bought the row 5! I just sat here and looked at that row 1 ticket until time ran out. But hey at least I'm on 5 and maybe won't be behind tall people. Wonder if that seat is empty if I can just move up? Ok I've rambled on enough. Anyone else excited?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-09 16:52 by tumblingdice.

Date: June 9, 2015 16:50

Also I think we have a chance of IGTB tonight! I think the soul full warm up band will be a good lead into our band breaking out this great tune!

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: June 9, 2015 16:51

tumblingdice:
Row 5 is probably much better than row 1.
From row 5 you might have a chance to see Charlie!
And don't complain: I'll be in row 25.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-09 16:54 by The Worst..

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: June 9, 2015 16:55

My first of nine Stones shows was almost exactly 40 years ago (TOTA '75, Greensboro, NC). I was 20 at the time. If you had told me then that we could flash forward 40 years to the point when I was 60 years old, and I was about to see the Stones again, I would have said you were out of your mind!

I remember the day after the '75 show, the concert reviewer of the Winston-Salem paper writing something to the effect of "the Stones proved last night that they were far from burnt out," and so on. Even then, a rock and roll band that had been together for 12 years was, as Keith says, in "uncharted territory."

Stones memories, as I get ready for my 10th (and most probably, last) Rolling Stones concert:

Hearing my first Stones song on the radio, in 1964 - "It's All Over Now" - on WHEE-AM radio, in my hometown of Martinsville, VA, and rushing out the next day to purchase that 45 as well as "Tell Me." Listened to both of them over and over for days. My friends were saying things like, "oh, they'll never amount to anything, they'll be gone in a year," etc., but I was hooked.

Hurrying to the record store to listen to "Time is On My Side" when it was first released, and deciding not to buy it (it's still not one of my favorite Stones songs. Don't ask me why, it just isn't).

The release of "Satisfaction," and friends saying things like "oh, listen to this new band, aren't they great," and just smiling at them. By then, I wanted to dye my hair blond to look like Brian. My parents didn't think that was a good idea for a ten year old....who knew?

Listening over and over to the single, "She's a Rainbow" b/w "2000 Light Years From Home," sick at home with tonsillitis. Looking at the 45 cover sleeve of the Satanic Majesties cover and all the details in it. (Remember when you did your best to buy those singles with the picture? Otherwise, those plain white 45 sleeves were pretty boring).

Scraping up pennies together to buy the "Let It Bleed" album from the J. C. Penney's store. I did what the record sleeve said to do. I played it LOUD. A LOT. My all time favorite Stones album to this day.

Listening to "Exile on Main Street" at my dad's house in Blacksburg, VA, and writing up a review of each song as I heard it for the first time. Wound up being about five pages of notes. Wonder what happened to that?

My favorite pair of jeans when I was in high school? The ones with the Stones tongue logo patch on 'em.

Concerts, Greensboro (TOTA '75, and Some Girls '78), big parties in Winston-Salem after both shows. Birmingham (Steel Wheels '89, the single best concert by anyone that I have ever attended, and then later, the Voodoo Lounge show). Both tours also in Atlanta. Bridges to Babylon, and then two shows of A Bigger Bang. Winning tickets for the '89 Stones show through a restaurant contest (Ruby Tuesday's, of course).

Keeping a scrapbook (and an electronic file) of reviews, ticket stubs, set lists, etc. from all nine shows.

Getting to meet both Chuck Leavell and Nicky Hopkins in the 80s. Having my band, the Amazing Mongooses, get to play at the same festival as Karl Denson last year (Roosterwalk, in Virginia), which is my Kevin Bacon "one degree of separation" moment from the Rolling Stones.

Am I fan? You bet.

And, although I know the chances of hearing them play a song I have never heard before tonight are very slim ....

(maybe CYHMK? Heck, I'd even be happy to hear them play "Time is On my Side!" at this point. Private prediction: the Ray Charles version of "Georgia." You heard it here first!)

..... I am still very excited to have one more chance of seeing the Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World.

Look for me at the Varsity around 6:30 pm, with a small sign that says "IORR.ORG." and come over and say hello.

(We might even sing "Time is On My Side together!)

Cheers,

Mongoose

Date: June 9, 2015 16:56

Thanks the Worst! I feel a bit better now. Always been a dream to be row 1 but then again I've always been in the back and upper levels so row 5 will be like a dream. And as you said I can see Charlie!

Date: June 9, 2015 17:02

Thanks for sharing Mongoose. Great read! Too bad you didn't do Atlanta on Licks tour, you would have got CYHMK along with Rambler at the same show. I have thought they may do Georgia as well as a mini song.

Date: June 9, 2015 17:09

Thanks, my friend!

Yeah, the Licks show was the exact same evening of our annual Halloween Party (of which we have the 35th annual this year, still going strong). Worst possible day of the year for me and my entire family to have the Stones in town!

If not "Georgia"...... what other "Atlanta-centric" tune could you imagine them doing?

Date: June 9, 2015 17:11

I've been wondering what, if any they might do. Midnight Train to Georgia? A few lines of Dixie?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 9, 2015 17:36

Keith may sing "We Had It All".

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 9, 2015 17:40

Chuck may have some ideas what the crowd would like.

A fairly local gig for the Stones keyboard man. winking smiley

Date: June 9, 2015 17:41

Found a list of Atlanta songs:

[en.wikipedia.org]

I don't see any of these being chosen!

"Doraville" by the Atlanta Rhythm Section? Nope?

"Hot 'Lanta" by the Allman Bros.? Probably not, although that IS a song that Chuck knows pretty well! Still.......no.

Los Lobos have a great tune called "Georgia Slop," but it's too obscure.

"Midnight Train" might actually have a chance, but I think "Georgia" is a pretty good call. Probably only about a minute and a half of it, don't you think?

You think Georgia and R&B....wow.....Otis Redding......James Brown......Little Richard. We have a lot to be proud of!

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: June 9, 2015 17:48

Koen
Keith may sing "We Had It All".

I can hear the wind a blowing in my mind
Just the way it used to sound through the Georgia pines

You were there to answer when I called
You and me, we had it all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-09 17:48 by GS1978.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 9, 2015 17:51

Mongoose

"Midnight Train" might actually have a chance, but I think "Georgia" is a pretty good call. Probably only about a minute and a half of it, don't you think?

You think Georgia and R&B....wow.....Otis Redding......James Brown......Little Richard. We have a lot to be proud of!

Ray Charles' Georgia on my Mind would be fine, I think. winking smiley

Date: June 9, 2015 17:57

What does the weather look like there today?

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 9, 2015 17:58

crawdaddy
Chuck may have some ideas what the crowd would like.

A fairly local gig for the Stones keyboard man. winking smiley

Well you should know Tony! He's your mate as you've met him winking smiley

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 9, 2015 18:02

He's not my mate, I'm his mate or buddy as he called me. winking smiley

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 9, 2015 18:09

crawdaddy
He's not my mate, I'm his mate or buddy as he called me. winking smiley

Even better >grinning smiley< He seems to get a bit of stick for having a big influence on setlists etc but by all accounts is a very nice chap. He gave a nice interview to Shattered! International Magazine a few years back (Dutch Stones fanclub magazine - in English)

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: June 9, 2015 18:55

tumblingdice
Also I think we have a chance of IGTB tonight! I think the soul full warm up band will be a good lead into our band breaking out this great tune!

td - it wouldn't totally surprise me if the Broken Bones played igtb - pretty sure they could handle it, tho it might be borderline sacrilege...

Date: June 9, 2015 19:10

I've no doubt they could do it. Never heard of them so I pulled up youtube videos and watched a few. These guys are good. That one video starts out not showing the band and you'd swear it's a black guy singing that soul then the camera pans out and boom! I'll be on my way in about another hour or so heading on down to Atlanta!!

Posted by: Britgear ()
Date: June 9, 2015 19:31

Love reading these threads as they are not (yet) coming to my town of Seattle. I have been going to Stones shows since 1964. The first time I saw the Rolling Stone was 5th April 1964 Ipswich, Gaumont Theatre. While my sister and I were at the show waiting for the band to come on, my dad was across the street at the pub having a beer with the Stones. Of course he didn't tell us until he was driving us back home after the show. But I did manage to get my program autographed at the backstage door after the show. This show was one week before the release of their first album. I have managed to make almost all of their tours since, some memorable ones, that's for sure. Here is my Altamont story. [guitararcheology.wordpress.com]

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 9, 2015 19:50

Mick!
Fantastic story and great pictures!
Thanks for posting the link.

Too bad you are missing this tour.
Why don't you book a flight and catch a show?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 9, 2015 19:50

The T-Shirts looking almost better than the Poster itself:

[rollingstones.shop.bravadousa.com] ยท [store.interscope.com]

Date: June 9, 2015 19:53

About to get in the car and hit the road. Rolling Stones here I come!

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 9, 2015 20:26

tumblingdice
Will be getting ready soon to head that way in a few hours. Wanted to share this as I know you guys will understand...I was lucky enough to see a row 5 ticket Friday in section E. Being obsessive I still had to keep looking at the tickets even though I couldn't buy another (negative in my account to make this trip) and what comes up around 1 am this morning? Same section and almost same seat but on row 1!!! I was so mad and sad at the same time! If only I hadn't bought the row 5! I just sat here and looked at that row 1 ticket until time ran out. But hey at least I'm on 5 and maybe won't be behind tall people. Wonder if that seat is empty if I can just move up? Ok I've rambled on enough. Anyone else excited?

You are preaching to the choir and I might add that will happen tonight.

Posted by: MrMonte ()
Date: June 9, 2015 20:26

Hi Mongoose,

I am someone that used to post here from time to time, moved on from posting but still enjoy checking in and seeing what others are discussing. I too have loved the Stones for a very, VERY long time and will be seeing them in Pittsburgh and hopefully also in Raleigh.

I came back on just to tell you how much I enjoyed your post and all the great memories. Like everyone here, I have my own catalog of Stones related memories and it's fun to think about them. But it was really enjoyable reading your comments and reliving those great times with you.

Thanks,

MrMonte

Posted by: tonyc ()
Date: June 9, 2015 20:47

tumblingdice
About to get in the car and hit the road. Rolling Stones here I come!

I'm leaving in a few minutes myself. I hope the road construction in North Georgia is not too bad today. I will report back in the morning.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: June 9, 2015 21:20

Hope y'all have a great time at the show tonight. My first Stones show was at the Georgia Dome in 1994. SOOOO wish I was seeing them tonight. Maybe Nashville will come through for me. Regardless, this is about those who WILL be there no those of us who won't!

I hope y'all have a great time!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: June 9, 2015 21:26

MrMonte
Hi Mongoose,

I am someone that used to post here from time to time, moved on from posting but still enjoy checking in and seeing what others are discussing. I too have loved the Stones for a very, VERY long time and will be seeing them in Pittsburgh and hopefully also in Raleigh.

I came back on just to tell you how much I enjoyed your post and all the great memories. Like everyone here, I have my own catalog of Stones related memories and it's fun to think about them. But it was really enjoyable reading your comments and reliving those great times with you.

Thanks,

MrMonte

That made my day, MrMonte! Thanks for the kind words, and welcome back to posting!

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1681
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home