Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Most conservative setlist of any band?
Posted by: keithglimmer ()
Date: June 6, 2015 17:09

Elvis towards the end. Same set list night after night. In Las Vegas he mixed it up sometimes. He did two shows a night for a month twice every year. Must have been a real grind. Sometimes he would call out a tune they had never done live & he would shine for a minute but otherwise......

1976 new years eve:

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 6, 2015 17:28

Send It To me
I was trying to think of anyone LESS experimental than the Stones, who can make everyone freak out just by playing 2000 Light Years at Glastonbury? U2 definitely play more album and rare cuts. The only act that's more risk-averse may be Billy Joel, who plays the same 20 songs every night since 1990.

And I'll bet Mungo Jerry still plays 'In the Summertime'...cool smiley

Posted by: Jesse1960 ()
Date: June 6, 2015 17:37

Other than a song or 2, when Edward van Halen makes up the tour setlist, Van Halen, with Roth or Haggar, stick to the plan in nearly every city.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 6, 2015 17:47

The Beach Boys. Last time I saw them, "Good Vibrations" was actually one of the newer songs they played. They were acting as if Pet Sounds was still their current album .... and this was in 2001.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-06 17:49 by tatters.

Posted by: taz22 ()
Date: June 6, 2015 17:56

Ask yourself, what '10' stones songs are a must at a concert? T'hen figure '4' well-known songs that they could put in the set, then figure '4 rarely played songs they could put into a setlist on a nightly basis that would give those lifelong stones fans what they seek. There you have your 19 song setlist.

The trouble with this tour imho is that they were claiming that it was to promote the 'sticky fingers' re-issue. Doom and Gloom should not be in the setlist at all as it has no relevance as of now, perhaps two years ago, but not now. They would be better off playing something from B2B or ABB in its place.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 6, 2015 18:31

I think they are so out of touch with their fanbase. If the only people you play to are the big hit listeners then you have lost the core of your people. From the videos and pictures, it appears that the American crowds are sitting on their hands for much of the show. Very predicable show.

I don't think they realize that everyone reads social media. They know the setlist, what is coming and when, they see the videos, and monitor discussions. The spontaneity is fleeting. Just like when Mick walks out in that silly ape coat for SFTD. Pack it away already. Just do something different for a change. Act like you REALLY enjoy putting on a show and stop treating it like a tv commercial rerun. Give us a show to remember.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 6, 2015 18:42

rocksoffKR
LongBeachArena72:
No comparison at all to The Stones.

You're right-there is no comparison to Dylan. He plays in front of a few thousand "hardcore" fans (I imagine you would have to be to listen to his whiny ramblings). The Stones are playing in front of tens of thousands of fans each night from a variety of backgrounds in enormous stadiums/arenas that they must entertain. I first saw the Stones with my mother. Her favorite song is Gimme Shelter (a "warhorse" that I'm sure Iorrians would replace with "insert obligatory random rarity here) which they didn't play. It took nothing away from her experience. I would love to hear "Shine a Light" or "hand of fate" or "rock and a hard place" or "rocks off like they played it in 72" or "whatever song you prefer" but that's not going to take away from the fun that I, my girlfriend, or my brother (all in our 20s, and very well versed fans) are going to have when we're singing along to Its Only Rock and Roll.[/quote]

Totally agree with the "no comparison" remark. The Stones ARE masterful entertainers, among the best the world has ever seen. Dylan is a thorny difficult artist, continuing to produce challenging new work well into his 70's. Completely different experiences.

I think being in your 20's is quite possibly the PERFECT time to be a Stones fan. They had written almost all of their best songs before they were 30; they were geniuses at capturing that particular moment of life's journey.

Date: June 6, 2015 18:46

MrEcho
If the Rolling Stones followed Dylan's current example of playing mostly recent songs, their setlist could look something like this. I would love it.

1. Highwire
2. Play With Fire
3. Rough Justice
4. Oh No Not You Again
5. Love Is Strong
6. Mean Disposition
7. Anybody Seen My Baby
8. Miss You
9. Thief In The Night (Keith)
10. How Can I Stop (Keith)
11. Beast Of Burden
12. Back Of My Hand
13. Laugh I Nearly Died
14. Sweethearts Together
15. Already Over Me
16. Gunface
17. Low Down
18. One More Shot
19. Satisfaction
20. Doom And Gloom

In order to make the analogy complete, the Stones would also have to have recorded at least a couple more very high-quality records in the '00's and '10's. Dylan's run since TIME OUT OF MIND has given him a base of first-rate songs to choose from.

Date: June 6, 2015 18:48

MrEcho
NoCode0680
slewan
ZZ Top
Bob Dylan (since 2013 the same setlist at almost every show, no greatest hits though expect form Blowin' In the Wind and Watchtower)

The Dylan setlists may be a rigid as you said in terms of repeating the same songs. But as you said, it's packed with lesser-known songs (I recently checked a setlist out after a friend went to see him earlier this year), so I don't really consider it "conservative". Which to me is not just playing the same songs, but also the safe songs. The show my friend went to only had a few songs I'd even heard of. I'm not a big Dylan fan in terms of his whole career, but I'm pretty well-versed in his studio/live work of the 60's and 70's. He did play Blowin' In The Wind that night, but no Watchtower. He played Tangled Up In Blue and She Belongs To Me, which I think are pretty well-known. At least in comparison to the rest of the setlist.

This is Dylan's current setlist with release dates of the songs added. I would not call this conservative at all. In fact for an artist with Dylan's history it is quite unusual to play so many recent songs. Only two songs are from the 1960s and only two songs are from the 1970s. I think it's great and I wish the Rolling Stones did the same.

Dylan – 2015 setlist

1. Things Have Changed (2000)
2. She Belongs To Me (1965)
3. Beyond Here Lies Nothin' (2009)
4. Workingman's Blues #2 (2006)
5. Duquesne Whistle (2012)
6. Waiting For You (2002)
7. Pay In Blood (2012)

8. Tangled Up In Blue (1975)
9. Love Sick (1997)
10. High Water (2001)

11. Simple Twist Of Fate (1975)
12. Early Roman Kings (2012)
13. Forgetful Heart (2009)
14. Spirit On The Water (2006)
15. Scarlet Town (2012)
16. Soon After Midnight (2012)
17. Long And Wasted Years (2012)
18. Autumn Leaves (2015)

19. Blowin' In The Wind (1963)
20. Stay With Me (2015)

It's so impressive how committed he is to his newer material. People can go or not go but he's doing this for posterity.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 6, 2015 19:07

LongBeachArena72
MrEcho
NoCode0680
slewan
ZZ Top
Bob Dylan (since 2013 the same setlist at almost every show, no greatest hits though expect form Blowin' In the Wind and Watchtower)

The Dylan setlists may be a rigid as you said in terms of repeating the same songs. But as you said, it's packed with lesser-known songs (I recently checked a setlist out after a friend went to see him earlier this year), so I don't really consider it "conservative". Which to me is not just playing the same songs, but also the safe songs. The show my friend went to only had a few songs I'd even heard of. I'm not a big Dylan fan in terms of his whole career, but I'm pretty well-versed in his studio/live work of the 60's and 70's. He did play Blowin' In The Wind that night, but no Watchtower. He played Tangled Up In Blue and She Belongs To Me, which I think are pretty well-known. At least in comparison to the rest of the setlist.

This is Dylan's current setlist with release dates of the songs added. I would not call this conservative at all. In fact for an artist with Dylan's history it is quite unusual to play so many recent songs. Only two songs are from the 1960s and only two songs are from the 1970s. I think it's great and I wish the Rolling Stones did the same.

Dylan – 2015 setlist

1. Things Have Changed (2000)
2. She Belongs To Me (1965)
3. Beyond Here Lies Nothin' (2009)
4. Workingman's Blues #2 (2006)
5. Duquesne Whistle (2012)
6. Waiting For You (2002)
7. Pay In Blood (2012)

8. Tangled Up In Blue (1975)
9. Love Sick (1997)
10. High Water (2001)

11. Simple Twist Of Fate (1975)
12. Early Roman Kings (2012)
13. Forgetful Heart (2009)
14. Spirit On The Water (2006)
15. Scarlet Town (2012)
16. Soon After Midnight (2012)
17. Long And Wasted Years (2012)
18. Autumn Leaves (2015)

19. Blowin' In The Wind (1963)
20. Stay With Me (2015)

It's so impressive how committed he is to his newer material. People can go or not go but he's doing this for posterity.

agreed.

if anyone hasn't seen 'no direction home', the dylan documentary, i strongly encourage it, no matter how much you like or don't like dylan.

dylan has shown himself to have artistic courage. when, in his prime, he went electric and original fans booed him to his face and threw things at him, he persevered, and was vindicated - the electric albums he recorded are now seen as amongst the best of the 60s (highway 61 revisited, blonde on blonde, basement tapes...).

the stones, on the other hand, tend to shift and move with the times, and have refused to stand by material that the public doesn't like.

there is a difference between "entertainers" and "artists". the stones at this point in their career are, in my opinion, entertainers. and that's what make the "vegas act" label ring true.

they are excellent entertainers and they have been putting on great shows. but dylan is still working as an artist, like him or not. there is, as other posters have said, no comparison between the 2.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-06 19:09 by Turner68.

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: June 6, 2015 19:16

MrEcho - I love what you did. Absolutely awesome - that's a great comparison to Dylan and YES I would love to see the Stones do a set like this. Yes not all the songs are great, but that's the mark of a "real" active live band.

Date: June 6, 2015 19:39

I think the 1965 Mick Jagger would kick the current version of himself in the a$$ now given the current status of the stones as being referred to as a Vegas Act. Sad what they have become after starting out with so much promise.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 6, 2015 20:09

Dylan sold out the 18,000 seat Hollywood Bowl last time I saw him. And it was rarities, and then warhorses delivered in new arrangements.

At some point Mick decided to really cash in. Remember how glorious they were when they wouldn't even play an encore? They simply got in the limo and you saw their tail lights fading.

I saw ZZ Top for the first time last summer. It was great and I expected the warhorses and I got them. But let's face it, ZZ Top doesn't have the catalogue the Stones do. I know it was supposed to be a big deal on the 2013 tour when they opened with I Wanna Be Your Man and a couple others, but they were really lazy about it. The Stones just kind of loped through those songs. There was no edge to Get Off of My Cloud.

Face it. The concerts now are for the tourists. I saw the Pay Per View in 2012 and saw them live in 2013. It's over for the hardcore fan. That's why they have a brilliant two-way stream going now, big payday concerts for the tourists, and archival releases for the hardcore fan. Seriously. I'd rather the 'new' Live at Leeds than walk across the street to hear the present Stones play Tumblin' Devil.

Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: June 6, 2015 20:21

24FPS

Dylan sold out the 18,000 seat Hollywood Bowl last time I saw him. And it was rarities, and then warhorses delivered in new arrangements.

At some point Mick decided to really cash in. Remember how glorious they were when they wouldn't even play an encore? They simply got in the limo and you saw their tail lights fading.

I saw ZZ Top for the first time last summer. It was great and I expected the warhorses and I got them. But let's face it, ZZ Top doesn't have the catalogue the Stones do. I know it was supposed to be a big deal on the 2013 tour when they opened with I Wanna Be Your Man and a couple others, but they were really lazy about it. The Stones just kind of loped through those songs. There was no edge to Get Off of My Cloud.

Face it. The concerts now are for the tourists. I saw the Pay Per View in 2012 and saw them live in 2013. It's over for the hardcore fan. That's why they have a brilliant two-way stream going now, big payday concerts for the tourists, and archival releases for the hardcore fan. Seriously. I'd rather the 'new' Live at Leeds than walk across the street to hear the present Stones play Tumblin' Devil.

Mick decided to really cash in 1974... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

But seriously, the Stones are a lot lazier than Dylan in all departments... I think they fail to realize that if they came out with an album of completely new material, the hype surrounding it would be immense, and it would have to go in the Top 5. I mean, it would be their first album in ten years. ABB was top 5 internationally and came 8 years after B2B.
Of course, that said, I think the reason Dylan does more new material is because he has stronger new material to go off (according to his fanbase, anyway) whereas the Stones have ABB...
In short, the Stones have become businessmen before rockers, and they will stay that way until they kick the bucket.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 6, 2015 21:17

Playing the same setlist on a tour is pretty much the standard fare for most top tier artists. Not many truly mix it up each and every night.

The question is what do the Stones bring to this tour that makes it different and exciting and entices people who saw them last time to see them again?

1. New stage, light show and video display
2. The promise of a few Sticky Fingers tunes
3. A new sax player
4. Warmup up acts
5. An even more upfront guitar mix
6. The memory of every other time you've seen them.
7. The experience of hanging with 50,000 other Stones fans
8. Seeing Keith still hammering out the tunes the best he can. smoking smiley

Even if there isn't much happening in the way of new music, you always leave a Stones show thinking there's nothing else quite like them out there and of course there isn't. Somehow even a stale setlist doesn't diminish the rewarding feeling from seeing them once each time they tour. It just kind of recharges the batteries no matter what they play, just something fun about watching them play anything. The loose organized chaos of the music just represents rock and roll so well and is just different enough with every performance to make them all a bit unique.

peace

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 6, 2015 21:46

they put on a great show.

Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: June 6, 2015 23:29

In a way it surprises me that they very rarely play anything from b2b or abb even steel wheels or for that matter voodoo lounge minus you got me rocking

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: June 6, 2015 23:45

LongBeachArena72
rocksoffKR
LongBeachArena72:

You're right-there is no comparison to Dylan. He plays in front of a few thousand "hardcore" fans (I imagine you would have to be to listen to his whiny ramblings). The Stones are playing in front of tens of thousands of fans each night from a variety of backgrounds in enormous stadiums/arenas that they must entertain. I first saw the Stones with my mother. Her favorite song is Gimme Shelter (a "warhorse" that I'm sure Iorrians would replace with "insert obligatory random rarity here) which they didn't play. It took nothing away from her experience. I would love to hear "Shine a Light" or "hand of fate" or "rock and a hard place" or "rocks off like they played it in 72" or "whatever song you prefer" but that's not going to take away from the fun that I, my girlfriend, or my brother (all in our 20s, and very well versed fans) are going to have when we're singing along to Its Only Rock and Roll.

Totally agree with the "no comparison" remark. The Stones ARE masterful entertainers, among the best the world has ever seen. Dylan is a thorny difficult artist, continuing to produce challenging new work well into his 70's. Completely different experiences.

I think being in your 20's is quite possibly the PERFECT time to be a Stones fan. They had written almost all of their best songs before they were 30; they were geniuses at capturing that particular moment of life's journey.[/quote]

This is what i wantsmiling smiley
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: MikefromATX ()
Date: June 7, 2015 00:19

It's pretty conservative, that's for sure. To be honest, I've accepted the fact that I've seen the Stones for the last time. I was late to the party (B2B tour) as im only in my 30's, but in the 20 shows I've seen I have some great memories. MSG in January 98, Wachovia Center 2002, even Atlantic City 2006.

That said, this current tour does nothing for me. From the bargain basement stage, to the safest setlists I've ever seen (and all of this at a premium price)- I can't justify spending the money. If they were really true to the Sticky Fingers theme and even just threw in Sister Morphine, Sway, You Gotta Move, Moonlight Mile and Dead Flowers at every show, I would feel different. I just can't drop all that money to hear "Bitch" mixed in with all the warhorses.

I have my memories, some amazing DVD's, and many bands I continue to see who are genuinely passionate about creating music and keep it fresh and interesting.

That said, I hope all those here who continue to see shows this tour have an absolute blast!

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: June 7, 2015 00:37

MikefromATX
That said, this current tour does nothing for me. From the bargain basement stage, to the safest setlists I've ever seen (and all of this at a premium price)- I can't justify spending the money.

That's the feeling I've had since 2013 concerning the Stones. These days, all they have to do is to play Bitch, Moonlight Mile and Out Of Control at the same show and people will write stuff like ''Anyone asking for more is nuts''.
It's sad to see people getting satisfied by so little.
You have to find other things to enjoy about the gigs, like how good they sound, but at this point many songs sound almost exactly the same every night...
Even if there's still highlights and low points, the quality of the shows seemed to vary more on previous tours. Since 2012 most gigs are on the same level: good, but not great.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-07 00:42 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 7, 2015 00:52

DoctorFreddie
LongBeachArena72
rocksoffKR
LongBeachArena72:

You're right-there is no comparison to Dylan. He plays in front of a few thousand "hardcore" fans (I imagine you would have to be to listen to his whiny ramblings). The Stones are playing in front of tens of thousands of fans each night from a variety of backgrounds in enormous stadiums/arenas that they must entertain. I first saw the Stones with my mother. Her favorite song is Gimme Shelter (a "warhorse" that I'm sure Iorrians would replace with "insert obligatory random rarity here) which they didn't play. It took nothing away from her experience. I would love to hear "Shine a Light" or "hand of fate" or "rock and a hard place" or "rocks off like they played it in 72" or "whatever song you prefer" but that's not going to take away from the fun that I, my girlfriend, or my brother (all in our 20s, and very well versed fans) are going to have when we're singing along to Its Only Rock and Roll.

I think being in your 20's is quite possibly the PERFECT time to be a Stones fan. They had written almost all of their best songs before they were 30; they were geniuses at capturing that particular moment of life's journey.

There's nothing here I don't agree with.

The obvious difference is Dylan is a solo artist while the Stones are a band with a creative core consisting of TWO people -- and the Glimmer Twins ceased to be a creative unit, or any sort of unit, decades ago. Now they are employees of the same company who get together on occasion for tours. They are not current musical artists, they have nothing to say because they don't exist. To be fair, it really is a lot easier to be a solo artist.

So they play to a different audience, not those of us who have seen them multiple times over the years and used to enjoy seeing multiple shows per tour. Now they play to the same crowds as the Beach Boys, Eagles, etc., people who want to see all the hits/ I saw the Eagles once about 5 years ago. Great show, I never need to see them again. There's nothing wrong with the Stones playing to that crowd -- it's not a put down, there are more of them -- but that's all they can do now.

Date: June 7, 2015 02:25

TheBlockbuster
MikefromATX
That said, this current tour does nothing for me. From the bargain basement stage, to the safest setlists I've ever seen (and all of this at a premium price)- I can't justify spending the money.

That's the feeling I've had since 2013 concerning the Stones. These days, all they have to do is to play Bitch, Moonlight Mile and Out Of Control at the same show and people will write stuff like ''Anyone asking for more is nuts''.
It's sad to see people getting satisfied by so little.
You have to find other things to enjoy about the gigs, like how good they sound, but at this point many songs sound almost exactly the same every night...
Even if there's still highlights and low points, the quality of the shows seemed to vary more on previous tours. Since 2012 most gigs are on the same level: good, but not great.

Agreed, this is the reason I am only attending one show. During Licks I attended 7 shows, during ABB I attended 5 shows, during 50 & Counting I attended 3 and now just 1. I love seeing them live, but they are stuck in a rut and it isn't going to change. Quite sad given the vast catalog they have at their fingertips.

Posted by: bradleycsocal ()
Date: June 7, 2015 02:29

I have heard this argument for years and quite frankly they are playing what the majority of people want to hear. Granted I would be totally good with them playing anything besides Miss You. I first saw them in 1981. I don't care what they play. I am going, they're The Rolling @#$%& Stones!!!

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: June 7, 2015 02:29

AC/DC's Brian Johnson Mad Over 'Cocky' Fan Petition February 05, 2010 03:24:47 GMT

After being urged by devotees to perform different tracks at AC/DC each show, the frontman slams the fans by saying they don't know a thing about the setlist.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© /WENN AC/DC frontman Brian Johnson is fuming over a fan petition urging the rockers to change the setlist on their "Black Ice" world tour - insisting their devotees shouldn't take rock 'n' roll so seriously. The band has been hit by complaints from loyal fans during their global gigs, with many teaming up to launch a campaign in a bid to force the rockers to play different songs at each show.

Johnson admits the petition made him angry because so many gig-goers want to hear all the band's classic tracks - and he's urging his disgruntled followers to just treat the concerts as a "bit of fun." Part of the petition read, "They may cheer at the concerts, they may go home happy... but they only came to hear 'Thunderstruck'. They don't eat, sleep and s**t AC/DC like we do."

He tells Australia's News.com.au, "F**k them! What about the fans who haven't heard (those songs)? There are a few cocky fans. A lot of people now with the computers, they sit on their fat a**es in their house somewhere going 'Oh they played that song last night, they should change it'. Well, b**locks to you. I don't think they realize changing a song in a set now is not the same as it used to be."

"When you include all the lighting guys, the stagehands, the technicians - there are 85 guys who have to know what's happening if you change a song. We're still doing some of the really old stuff. We're not daft. We realize the fans like the old songs."

"But boy, it ticks me off when people start petitions. We're not a political party, we're just a rock 'n' roll band out for a bit of fun."

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 7, 2015 02:31

What gets Brian Johnson fuming doesn't cramp Micks style. Petition for #YouGottaMove on it's way [twitter.com]

Date: June 7, 2015 02:37

the Grateful Dead seem to have played the same....long.....drawn out....self indignant song at every show

Date: June 7, 2015 02:37

Just send Chuck Leavall a pm on Facebook and ask him to plead with Mick to change the setlist to include some lesser played songs for the remainder of the tour.

Date: June 7, 2015 02:40

taz22
Just send Chuck Leavall a pm on Facebook and ask him to plead with Mick to change the setlist to include some lesser played songs for the remainder of the tour.

thumbs up

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: June 7, 2015 04:58

Does anyone think that "Midnight Rambler" would make a great main set closer before the encore?

Date: June 7, 2015 05:00

Kind of what's going on lately.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1963
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home