Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The Stones knock out U2!
Posted by: dennysmith61 ()
Date: July 26, 2005 17:45

Thanks for your reply

My point was not that Zep was not great but they were very limited musically and have such a short catalog of music it is unfair to even put the in the same league as the Stones Or Beatles

It is like a person said to me in the business have a short career have someone die and you will be legends.

They were legends either way. But I don't buy the Drummer dieing thing. The Stones lost founding member had to kick him out and Bill Wyman The who lost Keith Moon and kept rocking

Imagine if the stones broke up right after there peak 73-74 how would there greatest hits be selling/

Sadly it is human nature you don't know what you have till you lose it. Zeppelin has that on there side

Look how the Doors are worshipped talk about overrated.

I agree they have not done much sine Steel Wheels although I liked two cds in the 90's But wheels was 89!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not 79 Like I said there body of work between 64-72 out did everyone. In straight Rock.

And remember The Stones have about 8 different greatest hits lp's out.

And the last Zep LP was terrible.

I remember 75 everyone though the Stones were done Zeppelin was the number one band in the world and are in the top 4-5 groups of all time

But that is the only time they were on top.

What sold more in the late 70's Some Girls are in through the out doors?

Even before Bottom died they kept dragging their feet about touring. And a new album when the last one came out most critics said (it was in a bag cover) That it should be thrown in the garbage.

"They accomplished in 12 years together what the Stones still haven't achieved in over 40"

That is so silly....

In what area Hits? Tours? Good lp's Historical importance must don't know who they are outside of Rock circles. the Stones broke boundaries.

In 65 they were singing satisfaction and real rock when other bands were doing bubble gum and Zeppelin was no where to be found.

The stones music is much better written and more meaningful Between 67-72 alone Beggars BANQUET Let it Bleed Exile on man street and Stick Fingers alone out did anything Zep did in 12 years never mind 64-67 and 72-now

I rarely hear them played on the radio and when I do it is the same 5 songs. You can only live on Stairway to heaven so much.

They coped out and stopped and did not take the chances the Stones did who could have lived on there laurels.They stopped because they had nothing left in the tank. Not because of Bottom

What can you relate to more "You can't always get what you want.'
or Houses of the Holy?

Satisfaction the theme of a generation or Days and confused?

Mothers little helper 19th nervous breakdown. Gimme shelter paint it black or Moby Dick or "whole lot of love?" Black Dog PLEASE

You want to compare song writing? Meaning to a generation etc

Zeppelin was the best at what the did but it was loud hard rock and Roll that was great when smoking a dupey but in reality had little meaning

Beatles sang what they wanted the world to be
The Stones song what the world is
Zeppelin song what the world was if you were high winking smiley

Best hard rock band ever compare them to Black Sabbath but not the Stones.

And again I have little respect for band that took the easy way out and stopped You what they call a drummer a person who hangs out with musicians smiling smiley

Pete Townsend said how highly he thought the Stones and what they would have been if Jones was able to straighten himself out that is a scary thought.

So don't give me Bottom dieing as an excuse. The Stones adjusted.

I think Pink Pink Floyd has a much better body of work then Zep and took chances

I list Zep 5th 5 good lp's just is not enough.

Especially when it is just hard rock with little substance.

And anyone can twist sales numbers. Slim Whitman sold a lot also remember the commercial "sold more then the Beatles."

You think Zep is more played then the Stones what city do you live in?

History cannot be changed but if you want to think that.....

Thanks

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 26, 2005 18:09

Zep made several huge albums, but in '72 the Stones tour was THE tour of the year. Sold out, on the cover of every magazine, scalper heaven. I had no problem at age 12 getting Zep tix for the '73 tour. Peter Grant was a shrewd, brilliant manager & knew how to build a career, how to space out album releases & build anticipation. I think there was a point that it was clear Zep were getting the younger siblings of Stones/Dylan fans (Circus magazine tapped into this post-60s demographic in the US, kids who didnt want to read R. Stone w/ articles about politics and writers). The Stones held their own, & knocked Presence off the top spot in '76 when B & B was issued 2 weeks later. There is no disputing Zep's popularity, but the Stones held their own, reaching # 1 w/ every album they issued on Atlantic except 'Undercover.' Also during this period the Stones' music was more difficult (Exile, GHS) & 'adult' than Zep's.

Posted by: eric ()
Date: July 26, 2005 18:21

Look- I am not arguing with you on some of your points. But how many records do the Stones have... ( Zep wasnt even around until 68 ).... Zep had 12. And those 12 have outsold the Stones 2-1 just about. I am sorry, but the Stone's are nothing more than a greatest hits band ( thats not a bad thing... but it gets skinda boring ).Plus its NOT "BOTTOM... its BONHAM.. JOHN HENRY BONHAM!!!! So before you speak as a relavant sourse PLEASE PLEASE know what your talking about. Now I agree that the Stones song book is incredible up to 77...very average after that. You didn't like "IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR?" well 14,000,000 records sold... somebody did. Tell me what Stones record out of the 30 or so they produced did that kinda of business. Well, I guess I am wrong.... your right... even though you dont even know the name of the band members name that you say you dont buy their story.

Fact: Zep out sold the stones
Fact:Zep gets more airplay
Fact: Zeps been gone 25 years and their old catalog sells more than anything NEW the Stones put out.

Fact: I work for Billboard Magazine... and I can prove this very easy. OR you can do your own research..

Fact: As much as I hate to say it. The Stones are looked upon by the under 30 crowd ( the one group who can keep it alive.. when the average fan over 60 will be dead ) as an old timer band that their grandparents go to. Now I dont believe that.. and thank god there are ALOT of old grandparents out there. OR people like KENT and his friends on this board would not have a concert to go to.

Please.........Pink Floyd is the only one left who if they decided to reunite could out sell Zeppelin on a reunion tour... but I am not convinced of it.

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: July 26, 2005 18:27

"Here are some stats: www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/l/led_zeppelin.htm."

Great stats:

The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Make sure that the Web site address displayed in the address bar of your browser is spelled and formatted correctly.
If you reached this page by clicking a link, contact the Web site administrator to alert them that the link is incorrectly formatted.
Click the Back button to try another link.
HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
Internet Information Services (IIS)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 404.
Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled Web Site Setup, Common Administrative Tasks, and About Custom Error Messages.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: July 26, 2005 18:32

A Zepplin reunion tour.....forget it. Plant couldn't hit the high notes twenty years ago at Live Aid. I saw Plant and Page in Pensacola.....very good show, they played the same venue a few years later and didn't sell out a 10,000 seat arena.

Date: July 26, 2005 18:34

What truely catapolted Zep in truth was the loss of Joplin and Hendrix and Cream.... Zep followed in their footsteps more than anyone and filled their void.

People here say that this is a Stones board but its those people who try and compare and say the things about Zep and the Beatles etc. If you don't want this kind of response then do bring Zep into the mix. They were an amazing band whose contribution to music was and is huge, just like the Stones.

Fact: the Stones are the last of the that era, and lets be thankful for them and get our kids and the younger people involved and teach them how great The Stones truely are...because at this rate, without them touring which is their main way of marketing themselves they just might FADE AWAY!

Date: July 26, 2005 18:36

Well, I just saw Plant twice on this tour and his voice is just fine my brother check out the reviews. Plus that was NOT ZEPPELIN... now the Stones are on tour now or getting ready to and tickets can still be found for this on and thats under the name ROLLING STONES!

Date: July 26, 2005 18:42

Yes, Plant and Page were missing the bass player, but the majority of material they played were Zepplin tunes...except some of their most famous ones....odd, odd choice, but so be it.

Date: July 26, 2005 18:45

Eric re Out Door, you mean wordwide sales? Because as of 1996 (Joel Whitburn's 1955 - 96 album book w/Billboard/RIAA stats) these are the US certs:
date, title, peak pos, gold/platinum certs
02/15/69 LZ # 10 (4 mil)
11/08/69 LZ II # 1 (6 mil)
10/24/70 LZ III # 1 (3 mil)
11/27/71 LZ IV # 2 (16 mil)
04/14/73 Houses # 1 (6 mil)
03/15/75 Physical # 1 (4 mil) 2 x 2 lps
04/24/76 Presence # 1 (2 mil)
11/06/76 Song # 2 (2 mil)
09/08/79 Out Door # 1 (5 mil)
12/18/82 Coda # 6 (1 mil)
11/10/90 Box 1 # 18 (4 mil) 1 x 4 cds
03/28/92 Remasters# 47 (gold - 2 cds)
10/09/93 Boxset 2 # 87 (uncertified)

That is fantastic. They issued 9 albums - 8 studio - in their lifetime. And I am sure certs have gone up since then, esp w/ more comps, BBC album, the live album & DVD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-26 19:03 by john r.

Date: July 26, 2005 18:49

Led Zeppelin 1st through last are all "Diamond" certified ( 10 million copies ) with the exception of PRESENCE... totaling 117 million in sales as of end of 2004.

Date: July 26, 2005 18:51

"Fact: I work for Billboard Magazine... and I can prove this very easy. OR you can do your own research.. "

Doesn't mean that you are the one, who knows the most about music on this board....

Doesn't mean that you are the expert we all have to obey......

Date: July 26, 2005 18:54

I don't doubt that Zepplin sold more records than the Stones in the 70's. I just contend that a Stones concert ticket was a hotter ticket than Zepplin during the same decade. Hell, Olivia Newton John, John Denver, & Abba may have sold more records, but not concert tickets.

Date: July 26, 2005 19:06

so Presence sales have quintupled since 1996? And LZ III more than tripled? Where can one find this info?

Date: July 26, 2005 19:11

I dont know more... your right. But here are the official RIAA cert. for top 100 albums of all time.

Led Zeppelin

#3 Zep IV 26x plat.
#22 Phys. Graf. 15x plat.
#42 ZepII 12x plat.
#56 Houses of the Holy 11x Plat
#78 Led Zep 1 10x plat.

Only one of 3 musical act to accomplis 4 or more Diamond ( 10,000,000 ) cert. awards.

Only one STONES record in top 100 and thats HOT ROCKS!!!!

Date: July 26, 2005 19:14

Go to RIAA music page. Now this is Just for US... they gap widens when you put UK in the mix.

Date: July 26, 2005 19:15

The rest of Zeps catalog lies between 5 and 9 million copies.... more diamond certs are coming in the next 2 years for Zep 3 and Presense.

Date: July 26, 2005 19:19

You can also check out highest grossing tours of the 70's and thats Zeppelin 75 tour.

The Stones were 2nd with the tour of americas...12 million gross

Zeppelin - 30 million!!!!!!! Physical Graffiti tour was number one!

in today's dollars that would equate to

Stones 75 tour 220 million

Zeps 75 tour 580 million

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 26, 2005 19:19

eric Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I dont know more... your right. But here are the
> official RIAA cert. for top 100 albums of all
> time.
>
>
> Led Zeppelin
>
> #3 Zep IV 26x plat.

Led Zep IV is certified 22x platinum. Last certificatiopn was last year. I don't think the record label pushed 4 million extra copies in the stores in one year.

Date: July 26, 2005 19:26

"You can also check out highest grossing tours of the 70's and thats Zeppelin 75 tour.

The Stones were 2nd with the tour of americas...12 million gross

Zeppelin - 30 million!!!!!!! Physical Graffiti tour was number one!

in today's dollars that would equate to

Stones 75 tour 220 million

Zeps 75 tour 580 million"

To compare prices from 75 to 05, you will have to multiply with 20!!

Date: July 26, 2005 19:28

as of July 16 2004.... 26x plat.

World wide sales

Stones:210,000,000 million ( 63,000,000 from US alone )

Zeppelin: 320,000,000 million ( 106 million from us alone ). New reports coming out in the next 2 weeks... Zeppelin hit 6 million in record sales from last year.

Date: July 26, 2005 19:30

www.en.wikepedia.org

Look up RIAA cert.

Or google: RIAA CERTIFICATION and look for the above link

Date: July 26, 2005 19:33

Eric - to me, you seems like an obsessed Led Zep fan......

Don't you have any negative to say about Zep or is it pure glamour???

Posted by: dennysmith61 ()
Date: July 26, 2005 19:34

You are living in a fantasy world your numbers are insane

Why doesn't Zep get back together?

Because they know it would never be as big

Based on your logic about sales bring back the BAY CITY ROLLERS......

No 1 band in the world 1975 sales.....

I don't live on maybes but what is.

ZepPlin never had the crossover popularity to have the kind of constant tour success The Stones have

UNDER 30 CROWD YOU PROVE MY POINT ZEPS MUSIC IS LIMITED TO THAT AGE GROUP FOR THE MOST PART.

Great if you are high smiling smiley Ask them when they are 40ish which music they can realte to more.

Why did the who stay together?
Or the Stones after Jones and Wyman left?

If so Page Plant tours would be much bigger then they were.

You are usinng statistics I am using History and ground breakers....

"It is there own fault they were not around long you state- I am not arguing with you on some of your points. But how many records do the Stones have... ( Zep wasnt even around until 68 ).... Zep had 12."

It is there own fault not like solo careers have taken off....

Look how many bands pattern themselves after The Stones.

If the Stones can replace Jones aND Wymann STILL ROCK WHY WITH MICK AND KEITH WHY CAN'T PAGE AND PLANT TOUR WITH NEW MEMEBERS AS LED ZEPPLIN?

They wrote the songs what have they done together since 79?

You think people went to see them and said ooops John Paul John BOTTOM... are not here so its not Zepplin if true why do the stones set records without two founding members?

A question you know deats your own argument.

Why does page and Plant tours not set Records?

Please be real

Date: July 26, 2005 19:41

Uh Zep had 8 studio albums, 1 live as of time they broke up. Since: one outtakes, one Live, one BBC, many boxes & comps

Date: July 26, 2005 19:49

>Why does page and Plant tours not set Records?>

If Page and Plant went out as Led Zepplin, they would set records.
Page and Plant (while playing Zep songs) didn't live up to Zepplin standards

If Roger Waters went on the road as Pink Floyd, he would do better than a Gilmour Mason and Wright tour.

Could a Jagger and Richards tour fill stadiums?
I don't know ....Maybe arenas
But a Rolling Stones tour would

Its all in the brand name

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-26 19:51 by Donkey Girl Scout.

Date: July 26, 2005 19:53

Denny- If zep doesnt have the cross over you mention then why are they still the most requested band on the radio???

Negative- I have not said anything neg about the Stones either. There numbers are nothing to snear at obviously, but I am not the one who started with the Zep comparison either..

Negative- I hate the long version of Dazed and Confused, and Moby Dick. I love the drumming but enough is enough already. Although is did give the rest of the band a break during their 3-4 hour shows. Also- some of CODA ( the rest official record ) stunk... I think some of that should have stayed in the vault or been thrown out.

Not to much neg about the Stones for me... sometimes they get to simple for my taste. Fav song: Moonlight Mile! Fav tour since 77... US leg of No Security.

Date: July 26, 2005 19:55

as far as me being insane look it up on a Google search: do a "RIAA CERTICIFIATION OF TOP 100 records"

The Stones are listed in the top 5 for most gold and plat. records and singles. But Zep rarely released a sigle so I have nothing to compare.

Date: July 26, 2005 19:58

Well at least we ( most) can agree on one thing and that the FACT that the Stones will kick bono's ass this year!!!

Date: July 26, 2005 20:15

Page/Plant 94' tour grossed 70 million on 30 shows in the US. The Stones had their best tour with Voodoo Lounge....with over 60 shows in the US. I think it was like 120 million in US alone. You do the math. Page and Plants tour was third that year behind Stones and Floyd. Both bands did twice the shows as Page/Plant.. PLUS P/P did NO STADIUM shows... that was all from merchandise,tickets etc.....

The boys did pretty good for not coming out with a Zeppelin record. HUMMMM, I wonder....it wouldnt even be close!

Date: July 26, 2005 20:17

Donkey girl- I totally agree! It is in the Brand name.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 598
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home