Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 24 of 28
Re: Minneapolis MN USA 3-June-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: forsure ()
Date: June 5, 2015 00:51

so you don't know who she is and you judge her by being on stage with the stones 4 minutes? She is hot yes, but man, check out a few youtubes at least, she has some skill as a musician. Not really my wheelhouse, but...

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 5, 2015 00:51

wellalright
forsure
Brstonesfan
We are very jaded fans as we ( or most of us) have been to so many shows and know everything they have played live since 69....The reality is they must appeal to the masses who want and quite frankly deserve the hits. We are spoiled by their longevity and take it for granted ...it is not an excuse for their failing to mix it up a bit, but they seem to have got this thing down for 53 yrsspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

that does not have to be the reality, they make it so. There are bands that play what they want and drag the crowd along with them for better or worse. The grateful dead come to mind and they certianly had no issues selling out stadium afer stadium. Believe it or not it would likely increase ticket sales for them and you'd have a hell of a lot more people traveling for as many shows as they could make. I'd love to see mixed up set lists, but its not happening, so I'll catch 5 shows instead of as many as I could see.

the model for a dead show is totally different. apples and oranges.

mnewman505
Impossible to compare the Dead and the Stones, both two of my favorites, both completely different animals.

I think it's very interesting to compare The Dead and The Stones.

The Dead were so far ahead of their time in one respect: they were arguably the first post-internet band. They were not about top-down, they were about eliminating all barriers between artist and fan, they were a flat org chart, totally disintermediated. They were open, inclusive, encouraged tape-swapping, they were about the experience, the lifestyle, etc. They were the antithesis of the rock star hiding behind an aura of mystery and were never content to let a record label 'manage' their relationship with the people who bought their music and went to their shows. The Dead were about word-of-mouth.

The Stones were/are a throwback, mid-20th century band. Everything about them is guarded, secretive, access is restricted in order to build up hype, etc., etc. Archives are controlled, fans are an afterthought, everything is top-down, rehearsed, choreographed to a 'T.' The Stones are about publicity and marketing.

Obviously, each band's approach worked for them.

I'm more of a Stones fan than I am a Dead fan ... but I find that gap narrowing over time. The Stones were FAR greater songwriters than the Dead were ... but there is a romance, a sense of surprise and exploration in digging into a new Dead show from one of their good tours. You never know when or if they're gonna take off, but when they do, it is amazing. The Stones are MUCH more reliable and have a FAR greater catalog of classics to pull from. But I NEVER listen to live Stones shows from anytime after 1973. You just know too well what you're going to get.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 5, 2015 01:12

LongBeachArena72

The Dead were so far ahead of their time in one respect: they were arguably the first post-internet band. They were not about top-down, they were about eliminating all barriers between artist and fan, they were a flat org chart, totally disintermediated. They were open, inclusive, encouraged tape-swapping, they were about the experience, the lifestyle, etc. They were the antithesis of the rock star hiding behind an aura of mystery and were never content to let a record label 'manage' their relationship with the people who bought their music and went to their shows. The Dead were about word-of-mouth.

So much of your description rings true but strangely after spending considerable time with the band in the late 80's I actually found them to be amazingly disconnected from their audience on a personal level. Not musically, they were all about the music, but they had become more spoiled rich rock star than you might imagine. One of Jerry's statements has stuck with me after all these years. Spoken in his nasal tone with a big smile, shortly after arriving at the Marin headquarters in his 700 series BMW, in a casual but nice suit and being complimented on their touring success.

"Yeah, Go figure! All those dirty hippie chicks still following us around after all these years" eye popping smiley

I could give you plenty of other examples but that line pretty much says it all.

peace

Date: June 5, 2015 01:13

The Stones were FAR greater songwriters than the Dead were

not sure I'd agree with that, not at least in terms of song structure or lyrics, hits, sure. I think of only one who is FAR better than Hunter in Lyrics is Dylan. In term of musicials composition it is a toss up. They both have some outstanding songs. I don't think the catalog is far greater either. Stones tunes are more accesable, sure. I will also agree in terms of reliability though, but if you don't "go for it" and walk the tightrope the highs and lows are pretty consistant. If you do go for it, sometimes magic happens and sometimes you fall on your face and get a real stinker. I guess at $400 a pop you can't afford to deliver a stinker. There was always tomorrow night with GD, but tickets were $25 then.

Mind you the levels are still pretty F'n high with the stones...no complaints, just dreaming of my perfect world is all. When my wife, who could really give two craps aobut the GD world turns to me in columbus and says "its like the same exact show we saw in 13" I know it's an obvious matter (not a hanging one though) to anyone who has seen them more than a handful of times. Mind you, I still go...cuz indeed, this could be the last time, I don't know.

With all that...two things: I brought friends to columbus (all deadheads) who have not seen the Stones since 89 and 94 respectively and they were all BLOWN AWAY, i mean BLOWN AWAY. Saying "I haven't felt like that since back in the day when we'd follow garcia around". So they are sure doing something right. Second, it is funny you say you see the gap narrowing over time, because I'm the same,just in reverse. The wife asks "who is your favorite band anymore, the stones or dead"? Right now, The Stones by a landslide. All my concert money for the summer is going to the stones and I have zero desire to see what "the dead" is going to be doing in SF or Chicago. I would just like to catch a couple different tunes is all and I can die happy. Is it next Friday yet?

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: June 5, 2015 01:18

Naturalust
Nikkei
Yeah the scrambling can get funny! I got offered 50€ mere seconds after I caught mine >grinning smiley<

Sold! We are talking about a tiny piece of plastic here right? It ain't gonna make you play like Mick Keith or Ronnie. But what the hell, I guess it's a step above holding on to things like confetti. grinning smiley

peace

I still have my confetti from Hyde Park in 2013!
And I like it!!

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: June 5, 2015 01:30

You really can't compare Stones lyrics to Grateful Dead lyrics!

The Dead are a world unto their own!

But so far as ROCK'n'ROLL Lyrics the Stones are at the top!

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-05 04:31 by Marhsall.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: June 5, 2015 01:36

forsure
so you don't know who she is and you judge her by being on stage with the stones 4 minutes? She is hot yes, but man, check out a few youtubes at least, she has some skill as a musician. Not really my wheelhouse, but...

I took my little nephew to see 'Lion king the musical' last week... The first few minutes of that Potter song sounds like what was in that shitty musical. What is it with those terrible drums! "In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight." Terrible, I could not listen to the rest.

Only the best should be on with The Stones, and once again.... If she wasn't hot, Jagger would not have her on that stage. Does Keith have no say in this band anymore?

Date: June 5, 2015 01:39

Naturalust
LongBeachArena72

So much of your description rings true but strangely after spending considerable time with the band in the late 80's I actually found them to be amazingly disconnected from their audience on a personal level. Not musically, they were all about the music, but they had become more spoiled rich rock star than you might imagine. One of Jerry's statements has stuck with me after all these years. Spoken in his nasal tone with a big smile, shortly after arriving at the Marin headquarters in his 700 series BMW, in a casual but nice suit and being complimented on their touring success.

"Yeah, Go figure! All those dirty hippie chicks still following us around after all these years" eye popping smiley

I could give you plenty of other examples but that line pretty much says it all.

peace

I've heard similar stories, too. I guess I was thinking more at a macro-level, in terms of how they approached their music and their fans.

One of the most poignant things I ever read about Garcia--and this is VERY loosely paraphrased--is that he once said that part of him was afraid of getting off drugs because he was worried that he would lose his creativity, that he would become someone who could no longer do what he did. For a guy with a tie-dyed permanent-illegal-smile rep, he was one tortured soul, man.

Date: June 5, 2015 01:43

forsure
The Stones were FAR greater songwriters than the Dead were

not sure I'd agree with that, not at least in terms of song structure or lyrics, hits, sure. I think of only one who is FAR better than Hunter in Lyrics is Dylan. In term of musicials composition it is a toss up. They both have some outstanding songs. I don't think the catalog is far greater either. Stones tunes are more accesable, sure. I will also agree in terms of reliability though, but if you don't "go for it" and walk the tightrope the highs and lows are pretty consistant. If you do go for it, sometimes magic happens and sometimes you fall on your face and get a real stinker. I guess at $400 a pop you can't afford to deliver a stinker. There was always tomorrow night with GD, but tickets were $25 then.

Mind you the levels are still pretty F'n high with the stones...no complaints, just dreaming of my perfect world is all. When my wife, who could really give two craps aobut the GD world turns to me in columbus and says "its like the same exact show we saw in 13" I know it's an obvious matter (not a hanging one though) to anyone who has seen them more than a handful of times. Mind you, I still go...cuz indeed, this could be the last time, I don't know.

With all that...two things: I brought friends to columbus (all deadheads) who have not seen the Stones since 89 and 94 respectively and they were all BLOWN AWAY, i mean BLOWN AWAY. Saying "I haven't felt like that since back in the day when we'd follow garcia around". So they are sure doing something right. Second, it is funny you say you see the gap narrowing over time, because I'm the same,just in reverse. The wife asks "who is your favorite band anymore, the stones or dead"? Right now, The Stones by a landslide. All my concert money for the summer is going to the stones and I have zero desire to see what "the dead" is going to be doing in SF or Chicago. I would just like to catch a couple different tunes is all and I can die happy. Is it next Friday yet?

Two reactions from me:

1) Hunter's lyrics are insanely good--didn't mean to shortchange them.

2) Don't think it's saying a lot that you have 'zero desire' to see the Dead this summer; seeing them w/o Garcia is in my opinion exactly the same as seeing The Stones w/o Mick AND Keith.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 5, 2015 02:02

strat72
Salan
Sorry, if already posted: Gimme Shelter with Grace Potter:

Who the hell is Grace Potter? Why is she on stage with The Stones? Would she be there if she wasn't attractive? What a train wreck!

Enough with the shitty guests please Jagger.....

Maybe this video doesn't do Grace Potter justice - I wouldn't know as I'd never heard of her before - but judging by the video alone, she does not have what it takes to pull off one of the greatest songs ever written. Sorry, Grace Potter fans...

This gal does and it shows in Mick's reactions at the close of the song. OK, I'm biased because I was lucky enough to be there, but she was easily the best GMS guest I've ever seen - unforgettable, in fact. The crowd went nuts. Sorry, I don't know how to put a video up on here but here's the link:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-05 02:13 by Beast.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 5, 2015 02:08

strat72
forsure

I took my little nephew to see 'Lion king the musical' last week... The first few minutes of that Potter song sounds like what was in that shitty musical. What is it with those terrible drums! "In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight." Terrible, I could not listen to the rest.

Only the best should be on with The Stones, and once again.... If she wasn't hot, Jagger would not have her on that stage. Does Keith have no say in this band anymore?

The problem if your are a guest on Stones concert that they always far a way in the mix (not audible) pity though Mick wouldn't allowed them ...........

Date: June 5, 2015 02:30

NICOS

The problem if your are a guest on Stones concert that they always far a way in the mix (not audible) pity though Mick wouldn't allowed them ...........

More of a pity they don't give the same treatment to Lisa, imo. grinning smiley

peace

Posted by: konashi100 ()
Date: June 5, 2015 02:42

Naturalust
konashi100
Same style but the star shots behind Moonlight Mile were done by Gavin Heffernan (SunchaserPictures.com) and Harun Mehmedinovic (Bloodhoney.com). Link here: [www.sunchaserpictures.com]

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of accurate and informed answers we get to some pretty obscure stuff here on IORR. Excellent first post konashi100. Are you involved with this somehow?

peace

Yep, I'm Gavin smiling smiley Got to see the San Diego show live but IORR has been a great place to get updates & pics on all the future shows.
Totally a dream come true to have our video playing behind the Stones!

Date: June 5, 2015 03:11

LongBeachArena72
One of the most poignant things I ever read about Garcia--and this is VERY loosely paraphrased--is that he once said that part of him was afraid of getting off drugs because he was worried that he would lose his creativity, that he would become someone who could no longer do what he did. For a guy with a tie-dyed permanent-illegal-smile rep, he was one tortured soul, man.

Sounds like a pretty basic human fear to me. I saw him both (relatively) clean and sober and heavily addicted to narcotics. He was a genuinely happy and cheerful guy in both cases although more active and energetic when clean and more musical when not. On his first family outing to Hawaii the guitars stayed in the closet of the villa he was renting and he didn't play them for over three weeks, so perhaps he was speaking from personal experience.

But your description of his smile sure brought one to my face! Thanks. I'll leave you with another funny image of Jerry....playing paintball with his family and a merry crew of freaks including Billy and Bobby...chasing down Kruetzmann with a gun in his hand and a smile on his face and shouting "die mother f u c k e r" as he emptied his rifle in Billy's direction. Priceless.

peace

Date: June 5, 2015 03:18

konashi100
Naturalust
konashi100
Same style but the star shots behind Moonlight Mile were done by Gavin Heffernan (SunchaserPictures.com) and Harun Mehmedinovic (Bloodhoney.com). Link here: [www.sunchaserpictures.com]

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of accurate and informed answers we get to some pretty obscure stuff here on IORR. Excellent first post konashi100. Are you involved with this somehow?

peace

Yep, I'm Gavin smiling smiley Got to see the San Diego show live but IORR has been a great place to get updates & pics on all the future shows.
Totally a dream come true to have our video playing behind the Stones!

Very cool! Congratulations! Any editorial interaction with any of the Stones? Was it done remotely or did you have the deserved thrill of Mick watching it, looking over and saying "nice job Gavin". btw: Nice job Gavin.

peace

Date: June 5, 2015 03:19

Naturalust
LongBeachArena72

Sounds like a pretty basic human fear to me. I saw him both (relatively) clean and sober and heavily addicted to narcotics. He was a genuinely happy and cheerful guy in both cases although more active and energetic when clean and more musical when not. On his first family outing to Hawaii the guitars stayed in the closet of the villa he was renting and he didn't play them for over three weeks, so perhaps he was speaking from personal experience.

But your description of his smile sure brought one to my face! Thanks. I'll leave you with another funny image of Jerry....playing paintball with his family and a merry crew of freaks including Billy and Bobby...chasing down Kruetzmann with a gun in his hand and a smile on his face and shouting "die mother f u c k e r" as he emptied his rifle in Billy's direction. Priceless.

peace

That's fantastic--thanks, NL! My wife, who is the real deadhead in the family, will dig that immensely.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: June 5, 2015 03:31

Well, I was at the show at TCF last night. Here's my "review" or take on it. Even the huge rainstorm did little to dampen the enthusiasm of the crowd. I arrived mid-way through Grace Potter's set. I think there must have been something wrong with the mix because there was way too much bass. So much so, it was making people ill. Good job by the band though, it's tough to be an opening act. The rain stopped by the time the band took the stage, and I thought they ripped into the opening (I'm sure everyone has seen the setlist). So now I've seen them at Fonda, Petco and TCF, and I've gotta say that the energy the the band displays keeps getting stronger and stronger. The sound keeps getting better. I thought Petco was pretty poor from a security standpoint. TCF was the complete opposite. And for all the people here who say "the Stones are only in it for the money", a large chunk of money was donated by The Rolling Stones to a local charity that aims to keep music in the classroom. Yes, the Stones have big hearts and realize the importance of keeping music alive. I will post some pictures, and I of course have the full video of Moonlight Mile and Midnight Rambler. Overall, this was the best version of MM that I've seen to date. I thought it was even better than the Fonda. You be the judge. If you're reading this and are vacillating on whether to go see the show, go see it. Forget the setlist, go see the show for the musical genius.

Cheers thumbs up

Date: June 5, 2015 03:35

Jeffer
roller99
I;m sure someone here can tell which song, which bar, etc… smiling smiley

YCAGWYW

Wrong! He was playing "happy birthday"!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: June 5, 2015 03:43

strat72
forsure

Intro reminded me of the extended Coda of Peter Gabriel's Biko. The rest of the song is pretty straightforward 70ish riff rock with a strong melody and nice harmony vocals. The song rocks.

Date: June 5, 2015 03:56

roller99
Well, I was at the show at TCF last night. Here's my "review" or take on it. Even the huge rainstorm did little to dampen the enthusiasm of the crowd. I arrived mid-way through Grace Potter's set. I think there must have been something wrong with the mix because there was way too much bass. So much so, it was making people ill. Good job by the band though, it's tough to be an opening act. The rain stopped by the time the band took the stage, and I thought they ripped into the opening (I'm sure everyone has seen the setlist). So now I've seen them at Fonda, Petco and TCF, and I've gotta say that the energy the the band displays keeps getting stronger and stronger. The sound keeps getting better. I thought Petco was pretty poor from a security standpoint. TCF was the complete opposite. And for all the people here who say "the Stones are only in it for the money", a large chunk of money was donated by The Rolling Stones to a local charity that aims to keep music in the classroom. Yes, the Stones have big hearts and realize the importance of keeping music alive. I will post some pictures, and I of course have the full video of Moonlight Mile and Midnight Rambler. Overall, this was the best version of MM that I've seen to date. I thought it was even better than the Fonda. You be the judge. If you're reading this and are vacillating on whether to go see the show, go see it. Forget the setlist, go see the show for the musical genius.

Cheers thumbs up

Thanks roller! Superb post.

peace

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 5, 2015 04:23

roller99
And for all the people here who say "the Stones are only in it for the money", a large chunk of money was donated by The Rolling Stones to a local charity that aims to keep music in the classroom. Yes, the Stones have big hearts and realize the importance of keeping music alive.

Can you post a link to that story.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 5, 2015 04:36

"Yep, I'm Gavin smiling smiley Got to see the San Diego show live but IORR has been a great place to get updates & pics on all the future shows.
Totally a dream come true to have our video playing behind the Stones![/quote]"

Very nice work... was blown away by it in San Diego.
Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-05 04:38 by MisterDDDD.

Date: June 5, 2015 04:48

LongBeachArena72
Naturalust
LongBeachArena72

peace

That's fantastic--thanks, NL! My wife, who is the real deadhead in the family, will dig that immensely.

good stuff from both of you, thanks for sharing!

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: June 5, 2015 04:52

I was not familiar with Grace Potter and I wasn't at Minneapolis, so I can't rate her performance---but I am still mad about Las Vegas 2013 when Katy Perry was the guest on Beast of Burden. I didn't know who the hell she was and wished it had stayed that way.

Posted by: Blue Boy ()
Date: June 5, 2015 04:55

Beast
strat72
Salan
Sorry, if already posted: Gimme Shelter with Grace Potter:

Who the hell is Grace Potter? Why is she on stage with The Stones? Would she be there if she wasn't attractive? What a train wreck!

Enough with the shitty guests please Jagger.....

Maybe this video doesn't do Grace Potter justice - I wouldn't know as I'd never heard of her before - but judging by the video alone, she does not have what it takes to pull off one of the greatest songs ever written. Sorry, Grace Potter fans...

This gal does and it shows in Mick's reactions at the close of the song. OK, I'm biased because I was lucky enough to be there, but she was easily the best GMS guest I've ever seen - unforgettable, in fact. The crowd went nuts. Sorry, I don't know how to put a video up on here but here's the link:

[www.youtube.com]

Is she related to Harry Potter?

Date: June 5, 2015 05:05

yea, x wife

Posted by: cmc ()
Date: June 5, 2015 06:06

Great harmonica - Rambler

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: tauk ()
Date: June 5, 2015 06:08

Green Lady
MJ78
Naturalust
Cristiano Radtke

[instagram.com]

Geezus, No wonder Mick was a bit off when singing that one, I thought it was because Lisa wasn't there but I see now there was a much better reason. Two of them actually.

peace

That is a nice couple of legs .

Yes, and hers aren't bad either...

thumbs up Good one Green Lady thumbs up

Posted by: cmc ()
Date: June 5, 2015 06:27

roller99

Hey CMC, glad you and your daughter had fun. I shot hundreds of pics last night, I'll go through them and post.

Thank you roller99. We are still euphoric from last night! I think your TCF review is terrific. Your picture of Keith is amazing.

Date: June 5, 2015 06:59

Before last night, I had never heard of Grace Potter. I think she did an admirable job as an opening act. It's great to see women who can rock the house in such a male-oriented world of music. As far as Gimmie Shelter goes, for me the best part of the song IS the way Lisa Fischer sings it. Lisa is very magnanimous in not having an ego and giving someone else a chance to shine. We should all keep in mind when criticizing a performance where there is a special guest vocalist that this is what Mick Jagger is doing. So if they make a mistake, or don't nail it, cut them some slack people. How do you think you would do in a similar circumstance? You'd probably be backstage throwing up. Personally, I am more interested in the interplay and the chemistry between Mick and his guest singer. I compare all of those performances based on that factor. We all know Lisa Fischer can nail this from every angle, both chemistry and vocals-wise.

Give the new people a break!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 24 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1599
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home