Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

24th of July 1978---STONES in ANAHEIM!!
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: July 24, 2005 17:16

i cant believe it. it´s 27 vears ago today. Was on holiday in Cal. Didnt know that the Stones were touring. I saw 6 shows of the 76er European Tour---not their best---and now in Anaheim I saw my first STONES-Stadium Show. Pure rockn roll, but the Sound-quality wasnt really good. --But no comparison to the 76 tour."Let it rock" was the opener. "All down the line" was great and so "SWeet little 16"--and all their new stuff from "Some girls"

2 days later----Jaggers 35th birthday--- I saw the Concert in oakland. Never forget this-----and on the next day all newspapers said that "Mr. Jagger is still in good shape---even at the age of 35!!!!!!!!

Re: 24th of July 1978---STONES in ANAHEIM!!
Date: July 24, 2005 18:56

anybody of you saw the 78er tour??? whats your feeling of this one?

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: July 24, 2005 19:05

I loved this tour...it was my first. This tour was before MTV, VCRs, DVDs.....live images on demand. To actually see your heroes was extra special. The Some Girls Tour rocked for many reasons. What a great album to tour behind. All of the new songs they played on that tour are now Stones classics. I'm in the minority, but I loved Jagger's 78 tour outfit.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: July 24, 2005 21:06

which show in Ca. from 78 tour was the Shoe show ,,,where the stage was covered with shoes,,any1 no....

Date: July 24, 2005 21:23

Chippy----I think it was the Anaheim Concert 23. or 24th of july 78
I coulnt see that---was 100 metres away---and there were no Video Walls at that time

Posted by: Pserchia ()
Date: July 24, 2005 21:59

I was a dork and missed that tour. I was putting myself through college and had a parttime job, and Anaheim was all of a 90-minute drive from campus. Have always regretted skipping this tour. Hearing eight songs from Some Girls in a row must have been incredible. I did see two of the '75 shows, though.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: July 24, 2005 22:48

Soldier Field (Chicago), July 8, 1978. I was 16 and could not wait (bceause my parents said I was too young to go in '75).

HUGE disappointment. It was general dmission, my cousin was supposed to pick us up at 6:30am but didn't come until about 10:30. By the time we got there, the only seats left were literally twelve rows from the top as far back as one could get. When they came on, it was like watching ants (funny, though, because Mick was carrying a big bread crumb) and the sound was akin to a loud transistor radio. Apparently, if you were closer it was a good show and sounded good. There were three opening acts (Southside Johnny who was heavily booed, Peter Tosh, and Journey) yet the Stones still played in daylight which didn't seem quite right.

To throw salt on the wound, someone who later became my friend went that night to see Muddy Waters at the Quiet Knight. After a few numbers, someone told the audience "If anyone wants to leave, you must leave now." No one did and out came the Stones to jam...born too late!

As disappointing as that first experience was, it has never dampened my appreciation and ethusiasm for the band. Every tour since I have seen them one more show than in the preceeding tour...1 in 78, 2 in 81, 3 in 89, 4 in 94, etc and I carry one lesson with me...don't rely on someone else to get you there and sit up front!

Posted by: mskipr ()
Date: July 25, 2005 00:38

hi ....

I don't make many posts but this topic I couldn't resist

I was at the Detroit show 7-6-78 ..... I remember the Detroit radio station making the announcement at about 6am that tickets would be on sale at the Masonic box office at 7am ..... price of tickets $10

I was working the day shift in one of the car plants at the time in Windsor ON right across the river from Detroit ..... so naturally on hearing this news I wanted to skip out of work and go get tickets but I had other options .... a good friend (I was best man at his wedding) who I worked with at the time was married to a nurse who worked in one of the downtown Detroit hospitals ..... I seen her pull up in her car to drop her husband off and asked her if she minded if she stop at the Masonic box office and grab two tickets (I believe that was the limit as Masonic is about a 3000 seat theater) .... Toronto in '77 & Detroit & Atlanta & NY in '78 were some of the first ever theater/club style shows for the stones .... anyway figuring it was 6am and that probably only people going to work were up at this time to hear the annoucement I thought my chances were very good to get tickets

well that night she handed m 2 tickets 4th row center on the aisle ..... cha-ching jackpot ..... my friggin. jaw dropped as well as my sense of balance I think ..... she said got there at 6:45am parked the car walked up to the box office and found herself about 100th in line with only a 15 minute wait before the box office opened .... when she walked out with her tickets the line had grown around the block .... they did sell out right away

anyway as far as the show goes drugs were a very big part of my life then and at the time would never imagine doing anything straight (especially 4th row in a theater for a stones show) ..... a lot of hazy memories I'm sure but I do remember the show and I thought the stones were great but I thought that funny little hat Mick wore had to go ..... what stands out most for me at this show was a friend I invited along to this show with the other ticket I had ..... before the stones came on we were sitting in our seats and he decided to go the restroom ..... on his way back he went to the concession and bought some munchies ...... then he kind of got lost and wasn't sure where the hell he was ..... he walked around a while and then pushed open a door and wham in come running (it seemed like) about a 100 fans that were waiting outside the door .... I'm sitting in my seat watching all the people run into the building knowing they were door crashers and thinking they were pretty lucky ..... a few minutes later my friend comes back with his arms full of drinks and munchies ..... I said to him you should have seen all those people rushing in from outside ..... well he told me that he did .... he was the one that let them in because he wasn't sure where he was and just happened to open that door .....

.... no one could ever figure out why they decided to play a small place like Masonic when at the time they easily sold out arena and stadiums

Date: July 25, 2005 01:38

The 78 tour is such a mystical and magical tour. It seems as mythic as the 72 tour in some respects. It would make a great VH1 special....when Some Girls ruled the World.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 25, 2005 01:47

I saw the first show at Anaheim in '78 (the day before the "shoe" one) and I didn't think it was very good.

They played in daylight, and there were no video screens back in those days. (As much as I hate watching television at a concert, without it most people in a stadium are watching a trained flea act!)

The sound wasn't good either. The time between songs was so long that they kept losing momentum.

That whole tour seemed kind of disorganized.

I have a theory: that the tour you wish you had seen the most was the one before your first one. The one you can recall happening, but you didn't go to because you were too young or whatever. The one you just missed.

Posted by: Fredluvzstones ()
Date: July 25, 2005 02:38

Mskipr, Thank you for that post. Enjoyed that.
Fred Hardin
Pleased to meet you........

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 27, 2005 06:14

Well, here's what I remember about the July 23 show.
First, Anaheim Stadium looks nothing like it does now.
It was "open" at one end (later it was enclosed, and now it's sort of
in-between). Go to www.ballparks.com to look at it and other stadiums and arenas.
It was HOT that day. Upper 90's. No problem for people out here,
but sitting in the sun for 8 hours or more can get to you.
I don't remember them selling consessions except for CoCa-Cola.
Back then, people used to smuggle in orange juice laced with vodka.
First act ws Etta James, who was really good. MOst of the crowd
didn't really know who she was. Next was Peter Tosh. Threw joints out to the crowd.
HOwever, there's nothing more boring that a Rasta talking about the virtues
of pot, which is what he did between every song. Actually, the photo on the back of
his Bush Doctor album was taken at Anaheim. That gives you a good look of what
it was like on the stage. The Outlaws were next. Bored me to death as they're
the lamest of the Southern rock bands, but the crowd seemed to like them.
Van HAlen were supposed to play, but had a gig in San Fran, or so i was told.
In between them and the Stones was a sky-diver.
Stones came on about 6:00 PM, after the sun went down over the stadium.
Y'all know what they played and wore (see that toru web site).
Jagger did seem to be "on" something. From listening to the boot, it seemed he was
on a combination of pot, coke, and booze, as his between-song banter seemed a bit
slurred. This show gets a bad rap sound and performance-wise, but listening
to the boot it seems one of the better ones, despite blowing the ending to Lies.
Guitars: Keith: Strat on LIR and SW16, Tele for ADTL, HTW, TD, Happy, JJF,
Gibson Les PAul Special for BOB, Rosewood neck Tele for FAY and LIV, Zemaitis for BS, Tele Custom all the rest. Ronnie: Gibson Firebird For LIR and SW16 (Superdome
video has him on a Les Paul for LIR, but not at this show), Les Paul for ADTL, HTW,
Star Star, Zemaitis pearl for TD, Zemaitis black for LIV, Pedal steel for FAW,
and Zemaitis metal front for everything else. Mick had the strat.
Nicky Hopkins was there. They gave him an extra solo on LIV.
THere was a super-trooper spotlight on stage that for some reason was pointed
in my direction for the last 1/4 of the show which somewhat blinded me and
everyone sitting near me. Mick waterhosed the audience during JJF and climbed
the speaker scafolding. I do remeber them walking off after JJF and coming back on
a playing the coda for another 20 seconds or so. They did have a bit of a problem
with the Nady wireless system they were using. Those were very new at the time,
and the guitars needed batteries just about every hour (trust me, I know.
I had one). The amps did not break down.
By 8:00, it was all over. At the time, I though it wasn't a good show,
but when I got the boot it sounded much better than I thought. Very, very loose,
and Mick was more playful than at other shows on that tour.
Sorry I rambled, but that's what happened.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: July 27, 2005 09:06

I was at the Cleveland show, and have not only posted myself but read several that agree that that show had to be one of the worst of any professional touring group ever!And the boot conmfirms my memories. In fact, for years I avoided anything from that tour on the basis of that show, and it was only after I found Handsome Girls that I became aware of how manic - depressive that tour was. Gorgeous Girls Redux and Out on Bail or some of my favorite boots now. But that Cleveland show really shook my faith in teh band for a long time.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: July 27, 2005 22:41

Wow, was Van Halen really supposed to open? They opened for Black Sabbath and Boston at Anaheim Stadium on Sep 23 1978

Posted by: michrud ()
Date: July 27, 2005 22:52

My God on this day back in 78' I was lying listening to nanny songs....ha ha..just turned July 8...

Date: July 27, 2005 23:05

The real Van Halen opened for the Stones in New Orleans in 78 and Orlando in 81.....great, great opening acts!

Date: July 27, 2005 23:32

saw 2 shows in 78......they were bad in philly ...but in buffalo they were incredible...i was right up front for both shows,,,to this day ,to me, this was woodys best tour...in buffalo journey was on the bill ,,some other band i cant recall..& like a circus juggling act on stage,,,also a skydiver landed on stage minutes before stones came on....there was this dude right by me filming the concert with what looked like pro- equipment he got let it rock ,,then during all down the line security dragged him out,,,too bad he was right up front...& jagger went nuts that day,,jagger & charlie had this thing goin after 1 song ,,,where mick would yell Buffalo,, & charlie would do a drum roll,,then mick would yell again Buffalo,,& charlie would do the drum roll again,,, thats classic stones stuff,, similar to whats done on the ya yas album..Buffalo 78 was my 3rd favorite stones show

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: July 28, 2005 03:56

saw the tour in phillie,jun,17,1978.incredible.my first stones show,ironically i want because in high school i was a big foreigner fan.they were an awesome warm up,even had a thought to leave after they played(it was 100 in the shade)and spent from 2 days of drinking,but when the stones took the stage i was lifted to a new dimension.5 minutes into there set i knew they were the greatest liveact ever,sound system was great,set list 95 minutes but kick ass rock n roll.iv'e seen them 25 times since.

john scialfa

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: July 28, 2005 04:00

for the record chippy,journey warmed up the stones in 81,maybe thats why you can't remember how good they played in phillie.

john scialfa

Posted by: dennysmith61 ()
Date: July 28, 2005 04:04

I was into Bay City Rollers at the time they rocked

Date: July 28, 2005 04:05

for your info ,,journey was in buffalo in 78 too,,i was @ both philly shows in 81...i no journey was there..george therogood was before journey in 81 in philly...the band before journey in buffalo 78 was thin lizzy i beleive....

Date: July 28, 2005 04:16

hey back street boy ,,,iwas @ both philly shows in 81,,i no journey was there, but they were in buffalo 7-4-78 before stones too ,,,the band before journey in buffalo in 78 was thin lizzy i beleive ,,,,in philly 81 it was george throughgood.. philly 78 was the worst stones show i ever saw ,,jagger had a reported 102 degree fever,,,@ the end of the show the crowd bombarded their equipment with beer bottles ,,all the local papers including rplling stone mag ,,,said their equipment got destroyed,,i saw this i was right up front...

Date: July 28, 2005 04:28

hey backstreet,,i was @ both philly 81 shows ,,right up front ,,got great pics of those shows..i no journey was there so was george theorgood.....but journey was in Buffalo 7-4-78 with stones & thin lizzy i beleive.....that 78 philly show jagger was reported to hav 102 fever... we actually saw jagger coughin & gaggin ,,we were right up front,,,, @ the end of the concert the crowd ruined their equipment by hittin them with beer bottles,,i was right there ,,i witnessed it,,,it was in all the papers,,including Rolling Stone mag

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1640
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home