Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Do you listen to the Stones on the day of a show?
Posted by: kohoutek ()
Date: June 1, 2015 20:48

While tailgating, pre-gaming at a bar, in the car on the way to the show, etc? I have a policy that I've heard described by someone else as "keeping the songs fresh," and this applies to any band I go see. Some of my friends agree with me on this, but most don't, so I assume I'm just the oddball, and I'm certainly not going to begrudge all the fans tailgating around me blaring the usual JJF, Satisfaction, etc., but, really? It's already a foregone conclusion you're going to hear the war horses in a matter of hours once you're tailgating, so does it really trip everyone's trigger to hear these blaring from a car stereo in the parking lot?

I think I'm going to change my policy slightly this year (and hopefully this will be a reasonable compromise with my friends). I'm going to create a playlist on my iPod consisting of the innumerable great Stones songs that have no chance of being played live (Connection, I Am Waiting, Jigsaw Puzzle, and why am I even listing examples, because the list is 3 figures long) mixed in with music from other great artists and put it on shuffle.

Anyway, is anyone else out there all about "keeping the songs fresh" on the day of the show?

Re: Do you listen to the Stones on the day of a show?
Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: June 1, 2015 20:58

Absolutely. Its always fresh.

Posted by: kohoutek ()
Date: June 1, 2015 21:01

You're going to park next to me at Carter-Finley, aren't you? smileys with beer

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: June 1, 2015 21:01

No, or any other artist, in fact.

And, I blame Alice Cooper. No, to be fair, I blame myself!

In 1973 I was one of the world's biggest Coop fans, and had seen them twice already on the Killer tour the previous year.

On the day of the Billion Dollar Babies concert in Roanoke, VA, my girlfriend and I listened to nothing but Alice Cooper all day long.

That means about a dozen times each of "Eighteen" - "School's Out" - "Elected" - "Be My Lover" - "Under My Wheels" - etc.

By the time the actual show started, and Alice launched into any of those songs, I was thinking how sick I was of hearing them by that point of the day!

So, before the Stones show here in Atlanta next Tuesday, I'll be listening to probably anything BUT the Stones.

cool smiley

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: June 2, 2015 20:09

kohoutek
While tailgating, pre-gaming at a bar, in the car on the way to the show, etc? I have a policy that I've heard described by someone else as "keeping the songs fresh," and this applies to any band I go see. Some of my friends agree with me on this, but most don't, so I assume I'm just the oddball, and I'm certainly not going to begrudge all the fans tailgating around me blaring the usual JJF, Satisfaction, etc., but, really? It's already a foregone conclusion you're going to hear the war horses in a matter of hours once you're tailgating, so does it really trip everyone's trigger to hear these blaring from a car stereo in the parking lot?

I think I'm going to change my policy slightly this year (and hopefully this will be a reasonable compromise with my friends). I'm going to create a playlist on my iPod consisting of the innumerable great Stones songs that have no chance of being played live (Connection, I Am Waiting, Jigsaw Puzzle, and why am I even listing examples, because the list is 3 figures long) mixed in with music from other great artists and put it on shuffle.

Anyway, is anyone else out there all about "keeping the songs fresh" on the day of the show?
YES agree totally with this!!

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: June 2, 2015 20:24

I totally agree with this, but thought I was the only one. Maybe blues, something like that before. Dylan, something quieter on the way home. I don't want to hear Stones records or boots the day of a show but most people seem to.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: June 2, 2015 20:33

Never, as I don't eat before going to the restaurant.

Date: June 2, 2015 20:58

What a great question! I always have. Strangely I found myself listening to Jethro Tull leading up to the Columbus show - as I have been recently discovering and re-discovering some of Ian's great music. I thought I was being weird. Now I take solace and learn that this is also normal behavior!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 2, 2015 21:38

yes

Posted by: StonesHood ()
Date: June 2, 2015 21:40

I drove 8 hours non stop to Columbus on 5-30 to the show. To start My trip I blasted mad Stones for 4 hours , ending with some live jams. Then I chilled, surfed some talk radio and took a break from Music. Got to parking lot at 3pm and walked around. Went inside at 6. I hit the road at Midnight to drive home non stop after the show in complete silence. I wanted to let it sink in. About 2 hours later I played Moonlight Mile when the clouds broke and I could see the Moon. After that song I put the latest Beck and War on Drugs CD on, some more left of the dial radio, and after that more silence to watch the sunrise. Made it home in 7 hours. Its all personal preference and the situation Your in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-02 21:41 by StonesHood.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 2, 2015 21:42

mitch
Never, as I don't eat before going to the restaurant.

thumbs up

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 2, 2015 22:35

On the way to the show and on the way back, then while drinking beer and watching Stones DVDs in the hours after. Seeing them live really brings it all home and makes everything ever present and somehow new all over again.

Posted by: RS ()
Date: June 3, 2015 03:11

I would pick a few songs and listen to them once or twice! Just to get them fresh but don't play them to much or you MIGHT (doubt it) get sick of them.

-RS

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: June 3, 2015 09:40

Well, I started listening to nothing but Stones the Thursday before the Sunday San Diego show and all the way home after the show (hour drive). Hey, the Stones are my desert island band of choice. And it's easy to go deep with rarely performed songs.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 3, 2015 10:58

Always.

Perhaps the ones that are not going to be played.

Posted by: MJ78 ()
Date: June 3, 2015 14:08

Without question.

I only listen to the Stones. I really get tuned up on the day of a show.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 3, 2015 15:32

Do you listen to the Stones on the day of a show?

Constantly! From early morning to late afternoon. Then I try to crawl me off to the concert which is not so easy because I also been drinking beer all day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2038
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home