Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Something I made while waiting for the Pitt show!
Posted by: jossiansdad ()
Date: June 1, 2015 18:24

I'm a bit of an "upcycler", and love doing pop-art type pieces for the Geek Cave in my house. I found these 2 end tables on Facebook for $10 total, and after staring at them for 2 weeks with no ideas, it occurred to me that they would be perfect for storing part of my vinyl collection, and the ideas started flowing.

It ended up being all Stones on the top (I even managed to work a pic of the Fonda show in there) and 288 of my all-time favorite albums wrapped around the sides. Some of the pics are before I added black trim and several coats of glossy poly. The 2 tables are bolted together and make a nice "extension" of the bar in our family room. Total cost: less than $25, including the tables, 2 knobs, and all materials. I couldn't afford much more after buying Stones tix for June and AC/DC tix for August. smiling smiley

The pics don't do it justice. It turned out very nice, and the Stones were blaring through a great deal of the work time on this. Including a few periscope videos on opening night.

I hope the pictures post here (my first time posting here), but here's a link just in case it doesn't work. Cabinet pics

See y'all in the Burgh! We have three generations of fans going. My 8th show, my Mother's 4th, My wife's 3rd, and my 9 year-old son's 1st! We're psyched. My first time seeing them back in my old hometown since Voodoo Lounge 21 years ago! We'll be in the North Club Lounge looking out over a (hopefully) rocking crowd!

Re: Something I made while waiting for the Pitt show!
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 1, 2015 18:29

I love it! What do you call it, the hexagon record cabinet?

Date: June 1, 2015 18:31

Ha. Actually a Polygon. smiling smiley

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 1, 2015 18:48

AWESOME!
thumbs up

Date: June 1, 2015 19:35

Those are amazing! You've inspired me... I might have to do something similar but with black and white photos. My records are currently sitting in a reusable grocery bag in my room sad smiley

See you all in Pittsburgh!

Date: June 1, 2015 19:39

The decals are pretty simple. They're just printed on a regular laser jet with plain paper. Then applied with Mod Podge, and sealed with more mod podge and lots of poly.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 1, 2015 19:40

brokecollegestudent
Those are amazing! You've inspired me... I might have to do something similar but with black and white photos. My records are currently sitting in a reusable grocery bag in my room sad smiley

See you all in Pittsburgh!

As long as they're sitting upright, you're doing nothing wrong.

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: June 1, 2015 20:43

Your hard work certainly paid off! Very cool & creative - great jobthumbs upthumbs up Thanks for sharing your pics - I love seeing Stones-related art, decor & fashion created by fans smiling smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 1, 2015 20:56

Time well spent, thanks for sharing…..

Posted by: glimmerkkp ()
Date: June 1, 2015 22:10

Great! Thanks for sharing thumbs up

------------------------

[glimmerkkp.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 1, 2015 22:31

Wow - those tables are transformed in the best possible way! It's obvious that a lot of hard work, love and dedication went into that. How long did it take?

Posted by: terry ()
Date: June 1, 2015 22:39

Wonderful pics a true fan

Date: June 1, 2015 22:40

Beast
Wow - those tables are transformed in the best possible way! It's obvious that a lot of hard work, love and dedication went into that. How long did it take?

I spent maybe a week looking for images and making the three collages. Then I spent a night doing the top, and the weekend doing the wraps and painting/sealing. Just a little bit at a time, after I get the kids to bed. Tedious work, but I kinda like that in these projects.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 1, 2015 23:04

Love it ! thumbs up

Date: June 1, 2015 23:22

Thanks all for the compliments and feedback. I'm working on a blog of this kind of stuff. The family room in our house is a home theatre that borders on a pop culture museum of music, movies, games, etc. The walls are covered with signed stuff, and the homemade stuff is all geekified. Hopefully the blog will generate some traffic down the line. I would love the extra money as I'm now a stay-at-home dad who's headed back to college in the fall.

But for now, I'm just looking forward to Heinz Field. I've yet to get to a Steelers game there, but I was an axtra in The Dark Knight Rises there, and now the Stones. Football would be boring after all of that.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: June 1, 2015 23:31

WOW...Very nice. Sitting in 109 for the Pitts show and doing a road trip from NJ to get there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-01 23:32 by custom55.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 2, 2015 00:58

Please what was the total $cost of Mod Phog and poly?

ROCKMAN

Date: June 2, 2015 01:39

Mod Podge is cheap. You can get a large container of it for $10 and for this I probably used less than a fifth of it. The Polyurethane price would depend on quality and brand. I paid about $8 for a quart and a quart could cover a half dozen of these cabinets. So the cost is pretty cheap.

You can find them both in any Walmart or Target type store. Though I don't know if a store like Lowe's carries Mod Podge, but it's in the crafts department of any major store. Different types for different projects. Just google Mod Podge and you can find info on which kinds to use for different materials or different finishes.

It's called Decoupaging. Sealing photos onto surfaces.

Here's the site of the manufacturer. Mod Podge

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: June 2, 2015 07:55

Wow! That's so awesome! It creates such an amazing view, looking at a collection of pictures like that!

Date: June 3, 2015 02:07

stones2000
Wow! That's so awesome! It creates such an amazing view, looking at a collection of pictures like that!

Thank you. I didn't have many options of where to put it where most of the work would be visible, so I put it at the end of our bar. Another good spot for leaning or keeping your drink on it. With a Stones coaster of course.

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: June 3, 2015 16:34

jossiansdad
stones2000

Thank you. I didn't have many options of where to put it where most of the work would be visible, so I put it at the end of our bar. Another good spot for leaning or keeping your drink on it. With a Stones coaster of course.

Best kind of coaster!

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 3, 2015 17:04

GRRRĂ©at work, jossiansdad! Admirable...

thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2124
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home