Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Why couldn't they do all of Sticky Fingers in a stadium for hard core fans?
Posted by: donvis ()
Date: May 31, 2015 18:28

After perusal of last night's set list which is the total opposite of any kind of Sticky Fingers highlighting, I have been thinking. There is absolutely no reason on earth why that Fonda set list could not have been performed in a stadium or arena for the just the hard core fans. All the promoters had to do was bill it as such. Just announce that this is a special show in which all of Sticky Fingers will be played just for hard core fans, no Satisfaction, no SFTD, etc. it would not have been much different than the 5 2012 anniversary shows.( Those were a special event, people knew what they were and came from all over the world.)I am still pissed that Sticky Fingers was wasted on a bunch of models and movie stars.
Yeah it's my fault I didn't go out there, but not everyone can leave their job for a week and just hang out in LA hoping that against all odds they were going to play all of Sticky Fingers. For me it wasn't a matter of money, it was a matter of time and uncertainty. But tell me for sure and I will be there! And spare me the Stones don't owe their fans anything bullshit. Remember the 50th Anniversary videos where Mick is saying "oh fans thank you so much, without you we would not have it so great"? Well apparently he didn't really mean it.

Re: Why couldn't they do all of Sticky Fingers in a stadium for hard core fans?
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 31, 2015 18:34

Date: May 31, 2015 18:35

Yes that perfectly describes the way I feel right now. I'm glad I wasn't there last night.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 31, 2015 18:51

Fonda will be released on DVD/BR so all the hardcore fans will be able to enjoy it.
To fill stadiums you need to become a human jukebox : just the hits plus a handful of "rarities".

The Stones play by the showbiz rules. Dylan doesn't, but he plays in theaters... and he doesn't releases DVDs of his theater gigs! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 19:05 by dcba.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: May 31, 2015 18:51

Hoping for a better set list in Pitt. Mick said this is a different tour, you wouldn't know it by the same choir deal at the end and this set list is about identical to the shows last year. Can't believe they didn't do more from Sticky Fingers last night.

Date: May 31, 2015 18:53

I will believe the Fonda will be released when I have it in my hands. Same with El Mocambo, Knebworth, etc.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 31, 2015 18:54

That setlist ignores the theme of their little tour...they better not screw up Arlington

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 31, 2015 19:09

Don't worry MH they'll play Streets Of Love and Blinded By Love just for you...

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: May 31, 2015 19:20

Totally agree, this is no setlist for a tour called Zip Code and the Sticky Fingers release coming, this is a 14 On Fire setlist:

Jumping Jack Flash
It's Only Rock'n Roll
Let's Spend The Night Together
Tumbling Dice
Doom & Gloom
Bitch
Wild Horses
--- Hang On Sloopy (bit with crowd sing-a-long)
Paint It Black (by request)
Honky Tonk Women
--- Band introductions
Before They Make Me Run (Keith)
Happy (Keith)
Midnight Rambler
Miss You
Gimme Shelter
Start Me Up
Sympathy For The Devil
Brown Sugar
--- Band off stage
You Can't Always Get What You Want (with choir)
Satisfaction

Date: May 31, 2015 19:25

dcba

Dammit again!
I've seen this band enough for two lifetimes
I only bought tickets this time to see Knocking...

Date: May 31, 2015 19:26

"Zip Code" is just refering to the areas they are touring in..

Date: May 31, 2015 19:31

So the Knebworth show will be the postcode tour?

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 31, 2015 19:36

Stones should do Sticky Fingers in Madison Square Graden for a few nights and charge high prices. They could pull it off. The sophisticated fan base is there in the North East

Date: May 31, 2015 19:48

triceratops
Stones should do Sticky Fingers in Madison Square Graden for a few nights and charge high prices. They could pull it off. The sophisticated fan base is there in the North East
Again with the elitist sophisticated fan base crap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 19:51 by donvis.

Date: May 31, 2015 19:51

triceratops

charging high prices causes many of the tickets to be bought by corporations to give to their best customers and partners, who aren't necessarily big stones fans. there are lots of wealthy stones fans, but when a show has very high prices fewer of the people going spend their own money on the tickets. you could see this in the US tour in 2013, when much of the audiences barely knew the warhorses and were there using comp'd tickets from corporations.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: May 31, 2015 22:49

dcba
To fill stadiums you need to become a human jukebox

At this point the Stones are such an established stadium act, that I'm pretty sure they could fill stadiums even if they ONLY played rarities.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 22:56 by yeababyyea.

Posted by: two4fun111 ()
Date: May 31, 2015 23:09

Munichhilton
dcba

Dammit again!

Agreed. I was partially suckered in too on the premise of Sticky Fingers. That and the fact this really is the last tour like this I'm convinced. And BV said it was.

Date: May 31, 2015 23:11

two4fun111
Munichhilton
dcba

Dammit again!

Agreed. I was partially suckered in too on the premise of Sticky Fingers. That and the fact this really is the last tour like this I'm convinced. And BV said it was.

i convinced my girlfriend to go with me to see the stones because it would probably be their last tour. that was in 1989.

(some people argue it should have been. i'm not one of them.)

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 31, 2015 23:28

DandelionPowderman

Not completely accurate. Mick suggested in his pre-tour interviews that the Zip part also referred to the Sticky Fingers theme of the tour. I think they thought it was a pretty clever double entendre. I'm not so sure actually, but the tour name doesn't really matter much in the long run. It's just that in this case it actually did seem to reference a musical theme which does tend to create some expectations.

Perhaps they will start adding some more SF tunes, I sure hope so, but based on the first two stadium shows I've got a feeling it really isn't a high priority for them. They seem to thrive on the totally engaged, standing with arms out, sing along crowd and I Got the Blues, Sister Morphine and a couple others on SF aren't generally going to give them that, unfortunately.

peace

Date: May 31, 2015 23:31

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

Not completely accurate. Mick suggested in his pre-tour interviews that the Zip part also referred to the Sticky Fingers theme of the tour. I think they thought it was a pretty clever double entendre. I'm not so sure actually, but the tour name doesn't really matter much in the long run. It's just that in this case it actually did seem to reference a musical theme which does tend to create some expectations.

Perhaps they will start adding some more SF tunes, I sure hope so, but based on the first two stadium shows I've got a feeling it really isn't a high priority for them. They seem to thrive on the totally engaged, standing with arms out, sing along crowd and I Got the Blues, Sister Morphine and a couple others on SF aren't generally going to give them that, unfortunately.

peace

it was definitely a double meaning, i agree. everywhere in the US has a zip code and zip codes are generally considered extremely boring so it's an awful name for a tour unless the double meaning is intended.

Posted by: Gfmsoccer ()
Date: June 1, 2015 00:26

While they are still great rock stars, they are also smart businessmen.
They know the only way you can pull off a stadium tour theses days, is an all hits, warhorses show.

Bands that do album shows (Allman Bros, etc) do them in clubs for the hardcore fans who get into that. The Stones filmed that for you in LA, which will be out in the Fall. Stadium shows are not for the deep cut, hardcore fans. They are for 50,000 people who are classic rock fans and like to sign along with your big hits.

Ask ACDC, McCartney, Springsteen and the very few bands that can still do stadium shows. It's a sign-a-long baby! That's why they are there.

You are very lucky they did 4 new songs last night and actually do mix it up a little from show to show. This is their final stadium tour. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Date: June 1, 2015 00:33

Gfmsoccer
While they are still great rock stars, they are also smart businessmen.
They know the only way you can pull off a stadium tour theses days, is an all hits, warhorses show.

Bands that do album shows (Allman Bros, etc) do them in clubs for the hardcore fans who get into that. The Stones filmed that for you in LA, which will be out in the Fall. Stadium shows are not for the deep cut, hardcore fans. They are for 50,000 people who are classic rock fans and like to sign along with your big hits.

Ask ACDC, McCartney, Springsteen and the very few bands that can still do stadium shows. It's a sign-a-long baby! That's why they are there.

You are very lucky they did 4 new songs last night and actually do mix it up a little from show to show. This is their final stadium tour. Enjoy it while it lasts.

I bet if people think it might be their last tour they would sell more tickets. Too bad they didn't think of that decades ago, it could have been a PR strategy to sell more tickets.... wait a second...

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 1, 2015 00:34

Who are all these new people on IORR and why does it seem like they're big fans that know a lot? I mean they're complaining about set list and all kinds of things long time posters have been doing.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: June 1, 2015 00:38

I wasn't expecting the whole album, but was expecting at least half of it.

I was really looking forward to Sway and CYHMK.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: June 1, 2015 00:52

Munichhilton
dcba

Dammit again!

Munich - CYHMK was only worth seelimg/listening to when Mick Taylor was handling the leads!!!! - They miss Bobby alot too, don't care for his replacement!

MLC

Date: June 1, 2015 00:54

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

peace

Mick is smart...

Date: June 1, 2015 00:56

frankotero
Who are all these new people on IORR and why does it seem like they're big fans that know a lot? I mean they're complaining about set list and all kinds of things long time posters have been doing.
Who are you referringng to? I haven't missed a tour since 1975.

Date: June 1, 2015 01:06

donvis
frankotero
Who are you referringng to? I haven't missed a tour since 1975.

and i've been complaining about their set lists for much longer than IORR has existed...

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 1, 2015 01:30

Turner68

Well, Mick jagger did say before the 2012 shows that he wanted to call the tour "The F uck off tour" but he was out voted, seems they have all come round to his way of thinking............

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: June 1, 2015 01:52

They are AFRAID. They always have been of "taking chances" since 81 tour

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1505
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home