Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 33
Re: Columbus OH USA 30-May-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: paintedhighway ()
Date: June 1, 2015 00:56

Drove up from Cincinnati for my first Stones show. Pretty great setlist for my first time--I certainly understand frustration with stagnation, but I was extremely happy. I go to 50-60 shows a year, and this definitely ranks up there with the best I've ever seen. Looking forward to Indianapolis in five weeks. We had a good vantage point in 20B--$45 "obstructed view" tickets one row directly behind $150 seats, with a full view of everything and great sound.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 1, 2015 00:58

Great idea onlystones.
No hooker stuff, and you will be fine with me ,whatever your views are of The Stones,which are great opinions of yours so far.

Good on yer pal. smileys with beer

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 1, 2015 00:58

Gfmsoccer
Chris Fountain
Naturalust
Nice review Josepi! Thanks for that. I have to agree that sometimes the crowd can make or break a show and it sounds like the Columbus crowd was made up of pretty good people. Ohio obviously grows more that just good corn.

Great seeing the iorr ladies angee, Cindy C and TorontoGirl together and having a blast. Looking forward to some reports from them all.

I've got this kind of sick fantasy of ALL the IORR women together those three plus Sway, swiss, with sssoul, Green Lady, tauk, ShortFatFanny, stonesrule, brokecollegestudent, latebloomer, et al and some idiot comes into the bar and starts dissing the Rolling Stones.eye popping smiley Something just kinda satisfying knowing how that would turn out. Ha! (I know Rockee...it wasn't the fantasy you had in mind)

My off the cuff observations about the show (from the live feed and videos), total armchair quarterback stuff.

1. It seemed a bit looser than San Diego musically as StonedRambler suggested. Perhaps they all got a bit too confident after the great Petco Park show. I think when they are all trying their hardest they achieve that loose wobble of Stones perfection and when they relax a bit it tends to sound a bit sloppy. Not that they had any trainwrecks and there were great moments but overall a bit too loose.

2. Micks vocals seemed much different than Petco Park. He was back to those pushed short phrases and sometimes affected singing. Not as musical or natural as we were lucky enough to witness in the first show. At times he seemed to stop singing all together like during Brown Sugar...not his best vocal performance.

3. The crew definitely made a stop in Colorado on the way to Ohio. winking smiley Keith was baked! I'm even going to guess this was the reason Jagger seemed a bit irritated at him, possibly because he shared his stash with Ronnie too! This may have contributed to #1 above. Blame Colorado. But hey I've got no judgement or expectations concerning anyone else's sobriety, just a slightly (ok highly) educated observation.

4. Hang on Sloopy was a brilliant and well executed surprise. The crowd chanting O-H-I-O was pretty damn cool. The only thing that could have made it better is if they had played the whole tune or Ronnie would have ended the song with the intro lick to Neil Young's Ohio!

5. Lisa needs to learn how to sing backup vocals. Yeah she is a good singer but, imo, when you are supporting a lead singer in a backup role, you don't carry your phrasing past theirs and over do it to the point it draws attention away from the lead vocal. It might just be me but I think they should drop her and GS altogether. eye popping smiley I'm actually quite shocked Mick let's her get away with that crap.

And before you all jump on me for my slightly critical observations please know that I love the Stones regardless and think these kind of comments are honestly what make iorr interesting and if "more than casual" fans can't be honest and have nothing to say but Cheers! Great Show! Go Stones! it all becomes slightly boring and adolescent.

peace

Exellent observations!! Also I would like add that if your seats are parallel to the Stage, views are obstructed from the protrusion of Video Screens. The Stones Stage on this tour obscures the view as you don't have the the angle to see the whole stage. It would be wise to take note of this fact. This is revealed by folks that took videos and are directly on the side of the stage.

In addition, why did they get off course after Wild Horses? It suddenly went from Wild Horses to War Horses. This cvoncert was clicking aand then resorted to the old song predictable song choices that leads us all to dread our own tickets for the upcoming concerts.

If you dread your tickets give them to me. I love the set list and can't wait to hear it again. Let them change it up when they want to.

No worries- I just want to have variety in the setlist. They should no by now that we know all know the history and practically every song. I'm all saying is that there is no problem playing any song at any given time from any album. They have to trust thier fans.

Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: June 1, 2015 01:08

crawdaddy
Great idea onlystones.
No hooker stuff, and you will be fine with me ,whatever your views are of The Stones,which are great opinions of yours so far.

Olive branch accepted. There were very many people who said some pretty terrible things on this site (I can only imagine what was deleted). I can be the bigger man and move forward.

Remember from this post on. No history unless it is about Stones history.

On topic. Anyone who says the Stones phoned it in are completely insane. Name one performance, ever, that MJ did not awe the crowd.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 1, 2015 01:10

onlystones
crawdaddy
Great idea onlystones.

Olive branch accepted. There were very many people who said some pretty terrible things on this site (I can only imagine what was deleted). I can be the bigger man and move forward.

On topic. Anyone who says the Stones phoned it in are completely insane. Name one performance, ever, that MJ did not awe the crowd.

Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: June 1, 2015 01:13

Turner68
onlystones
crawdaddy
Great idea onlystones.

I only follow the Stones. I am only speaking of MJ with the Stones. I don't follow the solo careers.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 1, 2015 01:14

thumbs up

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 1, 2015 01:17

Nikkei
bleedingman
Nikkei
GratefulFred
Ronnie looked kind of f*cked up and was constantly sipping from a red cup and smoking. Kind of have a feeling he is back on the bottle

I suspected something like that when I heard his solo at the end of MR. He usually shines there, yesterday it was erratic.

I heard it's in Ronnie's contract that he submit to a breathalyzer prior to each show. smiling smiley

Seriously though, Ronnie has had off nights since his recent sobriety so let's hope he's still thriving under the love of a good woman.

You're right, I forgot about Sally. She's definitely a better influence than one Ekaterina.

Not sure where you heard that nonsense. What are they going to do cancel the show if he blows a .08 or above? No doubt the Stones tolerance of such things has become less now that they have all sowed plenty of wild oats and have such huge business interests to protect, but you've got to remember these guys are English man. I think they avoid those difficult discussions as a matter of nature. I recall quotes from Charlie and Mick that they never really even talked to Keith about that stuff when he was a full fledged pin cushion junkie.

It seems a bit strange discussing drugs and alcohol in the context of the modern Stones, their whole reputation and image was so built on the marriage of music and drugs but they seem somewhat out of place in the context of the professional organization they have become.

That being said Ronnie did seem to be behaving a bit off last night and Keith definitely seemed like he was stoned. But wtf, these guys are rock stars not accountants and whatever gets them through the night, it's alright, it's allright. ...and none of our business really.

peace

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: June 1, 2015 01:30

onlystones
crawdaddy
Great idea onlystones.

That last statement alone is proof you made up your BellyUp story

Posted by: tauk ()
Date: June 1, 2015 01:48

Naturalust wrote:
I've got this kind of sick fantasy of ALL the IORR women together those three plus Sway, swiss, with sssoul, Green Lady, tauk, ShortFatFanny, stonesrule, brokecollegestudent, latebloomer, et al and some idiot comes into the bar and starts dissing the Rolling Stones. Something just kinda satisfying knowing how that would turn out. Ha!+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OMG you've really fired my imagination, trying to picture what a group of us gals would do in that situation. My very first thought involves a broken beer bottle being brandished by one of us, a forced invitation to take it out to the alley (we wouldn't want to make the floor dirty or have extra witnesses), and some definite broken fingernails, and I'm just getting warmed up here....and goes without saying, no freakin' cell phones, motion picture devices, any cameras or audio recording devices allowed-totally OFF-LINE--would be great if one of us happened to be wearing high heels----of COURSE I'm not SERIOUS- we wouldn't physically HURT anyone, we'd just use those props to verbally threaten/warn ......

so weird, I'm actually starting to kind of get into this, mentally...grinning smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-01 07:23 by tauk.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: June 1, 2015 02:00

I've been on the road for the last week so haven't really had a chance to post observations from the last two shows but I think I'll finally have time to upload my videos to my YouTube channel in the next day or two.

In response to people noting Jagger shrugging off Keith, I wouldn't read too much into it. I say this because I remarked to the person next to me, that literally 5 seconds before the shrug off, Mick actually reached out with a pseudo 1 armed hug to Keith. I remarked because it's the first time I remember the affection go that direction in some time. The shrug off came when Keith reciprocated, and I think only because Mick was back to "on with the show" mode.

I've seen probably a dozen shows since 2012, Including 3 of the first 5 from the original "50 and Counting" tour. Since then, YCAGWYW has been one of the most consistently well performed songs of the entire run. I'll go as far as to say, I think some of the performances of this song over this run are among the best ever live performances of it.. The choir adds a tremendous dynamic, IMO and Ronnie's solos have been very, very good. I was thinking this very thing last night right up to a partial train wreck during the song and I'm pretty sure it was Charlie's doing. It seemed like Charlie ended the song too soon and when he did, he got confused looks by the choir, conductor and Chuck. (I was close on Ronnie's side). Hence Jagger's comment about "Where' the f is the double time?" to which they restarted the song, did the double time part and re-ended it again. Typical Stones.

Also, I haven't read the entire thread but has it been speculated that Kid Rock didn't join the Stones for a number because of his a lyric on one of his songs that said "Bruce Springsteen is f'ing 60 and the Stones are almost dead."? The crowd mostly got a chuckle out of it but I thought it was in poor taste considering he was opening for them. I'm wondering if either A he was scheduled to do a number with them, but was axed after the lyric, or more likely, B, was never asked to join them, and thus he sung the lyric as a shot. (Not sure if this is one of his regular songs or of it's lyrics or something he made up on the spot.)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-01 02:04 by jazzbass.

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: June 1, 2015 02:06

Nikkei
Nothing can go wrong, he got the rainstick right there on the table.

Ha, I kept looking at that thing, I thought that's what it was! Guess Keith is a creature of habit. >grinning smiley<

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: June 1, 2015 02:06

crawdaddy
I'm sure Ronnie is off the booze and Sally has been a great influence in the man and musician he is today.

Good on yer Ronnie and Good on yer Sally. >grinning smiley<

Yes it would be very bad if he slipped off the wagon. He seems to keep himself
very busy with his art and other projects. I assume this helps and Sally must
be a tremendous inspiration for his sobriety as well. Maybe just an off night..

I have witnessed an off night on the Bigger Bang tour in Chicago. The next night
they were on fire though. This may bode well for the MN show on Wednesday.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: June 1, 2015 02:08

onlystones
crawdaddy
Great idea onlystones.

Mick is amazing...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 1, 2015 02:08

tauk
Naturalust wrote:
I've got this kind of sick fantasy of ALL the IORR women together those three plus Sway, swiss, with sssoul, Green Lady, tauk, ShortFatFanny, stonesrule, brokecollegestudent, latebloomer, et al and some idiot comes into the bar and starts dissing the Rolling Stones. Something just kinda satisfying knowing how that would turn out. Ha!+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OMG you've really fired my imagination, trying to picture what a group of us gals would do in that situation. My very first thought involves a broken beer bottle being brandished by one of us, a forced invitation to take it out to the alley (we wouldn't want to make the floor dirty or have extra witnesses), and some definite broken fingernails, and I'm just getting warned up here....and goes without saying, no freakin' cell phones or motion picture devices or any cameras allowed-totally OFF-LINE at this point...

Stop it, you're getting me excited. winking smiley In reality I think one of the most powerful forces on the planet is a group of strong willed women with an agenda. Throw in a spark of emotion and it's pure power..a human hurricane, hunker down and hold on!

The Stones are indeed a lucky bunch to have you all on their side. Best to you Carolyn.

peace

Date: June 1, 2015 02:15

Re. the Sloopy/O-H-I-O audience chant:

I love the role reversal that happened then-the Audience entertaining/surprising the Lead singer.

Good way to make sure Mick "stays on his toes" & pays attention to the audience.

Great stuff....if you live for this type of thing such as most of us here!

smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-03 02:15 by tauk.

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: June 1, 2015 02:34

Posted by: podiumboy ()
Date: June 1, 2015 02:42

Was at the show last night, and just a few observations.

First of all, I'm not going to complain about the setlist. Yes it was about as pedestrian, greatest hits set as you can get. But they're all good songs, and I was glad to hear most of the songs. Mick had some guitar issues during Doom & Gloom, and ditched it about 2/3 through the song.

I will say that for all the fears of poor ticket sales, they did what they needed to do in order to fill almost all of the seats. It was impressive to see that they can still fill a stadium like that. I doubt even U2 would've been able to sell that many tickets in Columbus.

There was something OFF about the whole gig, in terms of sound. There were clearly sound issues and technical difficulties. The mix was pretty poor from where I was sitting. Keith's guitar was by far the loudest thing in the mix... and that's not necessarily always a good thing. "Bitch", and really anything that utilized the horns, usually sounded a complete mess. You couldn't hear the signature horn line, instead all you could hear was Keith. Keith and Ronnie both seemed like they were just off in lala land, and I almost found myself wishing they had a rhythm guitarist in the back line just to hold the sound together.

My complaints are only minor, it was still a great time and a great show. I hope if I ever see them again, it will be in arenas.

Date: June 1, 2015 02:52

Naturalust
tauk
Naturalust wrote:

OMG you've really fired my imagination, trying to picture what a group of us gals would do in that situation. My very first thought involves a broken beer bottle being brandished by one of us, a forced invitation to take it out to the alley (we wouldn't want to make the floor dirty or have extra witnesses), and some definite broken fingernails, and I'm just getting warned up here....and goes without saying, no freakin' cell phones or motion picture devices or any cameras allowed-totally OFF-LINE at this point...

Stop it, you're getting me excited. winking smiley In reality I think one of the most powerful forces on the planet is a group of strong willed women with an agenda. Throw in a spark of emotion and it's pure power..a human hurricane, hunker down and hold on!

The Stones are indeed a lucky bunch to have you all on their side. Best to you Carolyn.

peace

What really did it the most? Was it the mention of the high heel? Nevermind, don't answer. Sometimes there's such a thing as too much "talk/tauk".winking smileywinking smiley

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: June 1, 2015 03:03

podiumboy
Mick had some guitar issues during Doom & Gloom, and ditched it about 2/3 through the song.

Not guitar issues. He ditches the guitar the same time of that song at every show. That's why the guitar tech creeps out into position a few seconds prior.

Posted by: wilsoncrow ()
Date: June 1, 2015 03:39

I meant to post my thoughts on this show earlier, but it's my birthday so I went to the bar instead. Here we go!

- So it's my birthday weekend, I'm a huge Ohio State fan, and the Stones are my favorite band. Basically yesterday was the perfect storm for me.

- For any fellow Pittsburghers there, you'll understand when I say the Parkway is God's little joke on people from western Pennsylvania. Construction yesterday morning made it way worse and added an hour to my trip. Ugh...

- My brother and I pulled into the East Stadium lot around 4:00, and we put up our flagpole with an Ohio State flag and a Stones flag. I think everyone that walked past took a picture of the flag.

- About 20 minutes after we parked a guy from the local NBC affiliate interviewed us. I haven't found the video yet, and I'm kinda hoping I don't. You know, camera adding ten pounds...

- Later on someone from the Columbus Dispatch came over and interviewed me. Here's the link to the article (I'm the one that was celebrating his birthday!)

[www.dispatch.com]

- As for the show? I've seen the Stones four times before this. I've seen U2, Springsteen, The Who, and countless other bands. But nothing comes close to what I saw last night. Far and away the best show I've ever seen, and hearing the Stones play "Hang on Sloopy" was freaking awesome.

Enough rambling. Can't wait to see them in Pittsburgh in three weeks. I'll be in Gold Lot 1 with the Pirate flag and Stones flag flying. You're all welcome to stop over for a beer!

Posted by: two4fun111 ()
Date: June 1, 2015 03:42

I was on the right side of stage last night, 23AA, and I thought the sound was actually dead-on for a stadium show. Keith's guitar was loud. Just how I like it. Had no problem with the horn section either. Heard every note.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 1, 2015 04:03

with sssoul
drbryant
"Hang on Sloopy" is a great garage rock track that the Stones played on their 66 Tour."

Wasn't that just a one-off fragment in Paris?
Sort of like throwing Hey Jude into SftD at the 1969 Baltimore show

Thanks for posting all the fine photos, everybody.

I don't know for certain, but media reports (obviously being fed information by the Stones' publicists) say 11 performances on the 66 tour.

Posted by: glimmerman ()
Date: June 1, 2015 04:05

Ha! "Hang On Sloopy" was also performed at my first Stones concert in July 1966...by The McCoys!

Posted by: Powerage5 ()
Date: June 1, 2015 04:43

I can post my thoughts now - had torrential rain pretty much from 10 miles north of Columbus the whole 400 mile drive home. Got home about 7:15 and had to be to work at 8:30 for a 10 hour shift...it was a rough day for sure!

I'll get my setlist thoughts out of the way first. I won't pretend it wasn't a letdown after seeing the San Diego setlist from last weekend. It was about as cookie-cutter as a Stones setlist can get. I hadn't seen them do Bitch in person before last night so I can't complain about that, but it certainly wouldn't be my top choice for one of the SF slots. I don't have anything against Paint It Black (On the contrary, it is one of my favorite of the warhorses), but I just don't think something that gets played that often should be offered in the fan vote - of course a warhorse will win since most of the people who vote aren't the hardcore fans like us. I can honestly say that out of the rotating slots/fan vote, Let's Spend The Night Together is the only song choice that really excited me on any level. All that said, I do think they were playing it a little safe given the poor sales for Columbus.

As for the music itself, the band sounded amazing. It was only my fifth Stones show, but it may well be my favorite I've seen in terms of the performance (I'll need some time to reflect on it and decide if I thought it was better than Rome last year). Everyone sounded and looked phenomenal, with Mick stealing the show IMO. That's not to say Keith, Ron, and Charlie weren't good last night but Mick was just on a whole other level I thought.

This year is the first time I'm seeing the Stones more than once in the calendar year, and I'm really excited to be doing it for this tour with them already being so on point by the second show. I hope the setlists will be a little more exciting in Indy, Detroit, and Buffalo, but as long as they keep playing like they did last night I'll be happy no matter what.

Posted by: podiumboy ()
Date: June 1, 2015 05:40

What is everybody talking about "poor sales"? I saw U2 at the same stadium in 1997. They "only" had 45,000 in that stadium, with many sections in the upper bowl not used. That's what I'd call falling short of expectations. The stadium seemed pretty full last night, although in a stadium that large it's easy to hide unsold seats, as the crowd just sort of spreads out into the unsold seats. I'd still say once we get the Billboard figures, it'll be at least 60,000... nothing to sneeze at in Columbus at all.

The band performed so well last night. Mick is just a freak of nature, in the best possible way! I went with my Dad and brother, who have seen the Stones before, and then my friend who is what you'd call a "casual fan", and he was blown away by Mick. Charlie is also quite impressive. Drumming for a 2 hour show isn't easy on a young man, let alone a 73 year old, but he is as solid as ever!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 1, 2015 05:52

glimmerman
Ha! "Hang On Sloopy" was also performed at my first Stones concert in July 1966...by The McCoys!

That is very, very cool.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 1, 2015 06:29

drbryant
glimmerman

That is very, very cool.

Indeed...

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 1, 2015 06:31

Enough chit chat boys...Let's get back to the bar scene!

As you will recall, the cast is "the ladies of IORR."

Then the riff raff appear, alleged men who start making stupid remarks about
THE Rolling Stones.

I casually take out my cell-phone..."the secret one." A yawning voice answers:
Yeah?

This lady has no time for chit-chat: "Keith. The girls need you down here on
the double. A group of dull creatures are speaking badly of the greatest
guitar player God ever created."

He is, suddenly, ALERT! "I'll be down and take care of everything." He is not only ALERT but his tone is menacing.

As if by magic, two minutes later, Keith Richards strides into the tacky little bar..stares at the star-struck group of men. "You lot, I want all of out of here. NOW!

The ladies smile happily. Keith frowns at them. "OUT NOW!" The "men" begin to
shake and tremble.

Late Bloomer is almost in tears. "Oh Keith...OH...OH...Oh. YOU are so..
brave." He pats her hand.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-01 06:43 by stonesrule.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 1, 2015 06:51

MisterDDDD
drbryant
glimmerman

That is very, very cool.

Indeed...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 33

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2020
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home