Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 33
Rolling Stones - Columbus OH, May 30 2015
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 31, 2015 23:32

Re: Columbus OH USA 30-May-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 31, 2015 23:33

jabhead
onlystones
Real quick. I know this is slightly OT.

Does anyone have a wine choice for Thai chicken with peanut sauce?

SFD I love it! Great rendition.

A Riesling, gewurtztraminer, or Tavel Rose would be my initial thoughts, I assume spicy.

Sometime with spicy Asian food I just go SingHa.

Either way Enjoy!

good thing his user name is "onlystones" otherwise people might get confused and think he was posting about food.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 31, 2015 23:35

Thanks for the pics, Byebyejohnny. I will ask again: what is the purpose of that weird equipment behind Mick there?

Posted by: chevysales ()
Date: May 31, 2015 23:41

timbernardis
is there any way to watch the show again on periscope?

plexi

in settings for periscope choose save to camera roll and the broadcast will be saved...so says the help file in the app

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 31, 2015 23:42

Turner68
bleedingman
drbryant
The thing about "Hang on Sloopy" (or "Wild Thing" or "Louie Louie" for that matter) is that anyone (and I mean ANYONE) can play it with about 15 minutes of practice and it'll sound good. Would it have killed Mick to learn the verses? I would have loved to hear a full version. Great song.

Totally agree. To anyone in the front rows for future shows, please bring cue cards with the Hang On Sloopy lyrics. Thank you.

i can't tell who is being sarcastic or not. pandering to your audience in this way is straight out of the "nostalgia act" playbook, authored by neil diamond and slim whitman. not that there is anything wrong with that.

perhaps when they play in the south they should play "okie from muskogee"

But, there's a big difference, right? "Hang on Sloopy" is a great garage rock track that the Stones played on their 66 Tour. I'll take Sloopy, "Route 66" and "Bye Bye Johnny."

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 31, 2015 23:45

Turner68
jabhead
onlystones

A Riesling, gewurtztraminer, or Tavel Rose would be my initial thoughts, I assume spicy.

Either way Enjoy!

good thing his user name is "onlystones" otherwise people might get confused and think he was posting about food.

Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill or perhaps some Thunderbird to balance out the exotic nature of the meal. smoking smiley

peace

Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: May 31, 2015 23:45

Turner68
jabhead
onlystones

Either way Enjoy![/quote

NO, incorrect. I am giving my reactions to the replay of last nights show as I prepare Sunday dinner for the family.

Satisfaction is on now. I really like it.

Thank you for the wine selections, I am going with the Riesling.

The bottle of Uncle Bob's RED table wine that I unscrewed seems more appropriate for using on the carpet.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Have a wonderful evening. On to Minneapolis.

Date: May 31, 2015 23:46

drbryant
Turner68
bleedingman
drbryant
The thing about "Hang on Sloopy" (or "Wild Thing" or "Louie Louie" for that matter) is that anyone (and I mean ANYONE) can play it with about 15 minutes of practice and it'll sound good. Would it have killed Mick to learn the verses? I would have loved to hear a full version. Great song.

Totally agree. To anyone in the front rows for future shows, please bring cue cards with the Hang On Sloopy lyrics. Thank you.

i can't tell who is being sarcastic or not. pandering to your audience in this way is straight out of the "nostalgia act" playbook, authored by neil diamond and slim whitman. not that there is anything wrong with that.

But, there's a big difference, right? "Hang on Sloopy" is a great garage rock track that the Stones played on their 66 Tour. I'll take Sloopy, "Route 66" and "Bye Bye Johnny."

i'd love to see them do a couple chuck berry songs on this tour, and even bring chuck out. we lost b.b. king and it's better to pay respects while someone is still around. chuck berry is rock-n-roll. so i love your bye bye johnny idea.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 31, 2015 23:46

with sssoul
drbryant
The thing about "Hang on Sloopy" (or "Wild Thing" or "Louie Louie" for that matter)
is that anyone (and I mean ANYONE) can play it with about 15 minutes of practice and it'll sound good.
Would it have killed Mick to learn the verses? I would have loved to hear a full version. Great song.

Watching the youtube clip I had the impression that the Mick wasn't expecting that O-H-I-O chant
and while he was focussed on figuring out what the crowd were up to, he neglected to come in for the verse,
the moment passed and the band circled just around until they could bring it in for a landing.

It was fun anyway, though.

It *was* fun. I'm thinking you both might be right. Mick may not have learned all the words well enough, and he was also thrown off by the chant. It is one of those songs that is so easy until you have to sing the verse, and one where people often repeat a verse when they can't think of the second verse. The ending was a bit awkward, that's for sure, but they pulled it off.

Mick may have wanted to do another chorus with the crowd, if not an actual verse or two. A good portion were singing along with the lyrics, rather than chanting, which doesn't come through on the video.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 31, 2015 23:49

drbryant
"Hang on Sloopy" is a great garage rock track that the Stones played on their 66 Tour."

Wasn't that just a one-off fragment in Paris?
Sort of like throwing Hey Jude into SftD at the 1969 Baltimore show

Thanks for posting all the fine photos, everybody.

Date: May 31, 2015 23:50

Rokyfan
When I go to shows I notice all the dudes like those in the background of that photo and think Boy, this crowd is sure old and then I realize that I fit right in. They sure look ready for Party Time. When i first started to going to Stones concerts you had to keep track of which of your neighbors was likely to vomit on your feet first.

They were sitting practically the whole time hah! I hope they enjoyed themselves. I think they may have been a little irritated with my boyfriend and I who were swigging beer and dancing the whole time smiling smiley

But we made friends with the older couple seated next to us, and I made friends with random ladies in line for the restroom... I tried to talk to as many people as possible! Everyone was so happy... It was a truly amazing night. I bonded over monkey man on the walk out of the stadium with another fan. It was all great until our walk back to our friends house went downhill... With me losing a shoe, and my boyfriend giving me a piggy back ride the rest of the way home... Lol

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 31, 2015 23:53

with sssoul
drbryant
"Hang on Sloopy" is a great garage rock track that the Stones played on their 66 Tour."

Wasn't that just a one-off fragment in Paris?
Sort of like throwing Hey Jude into SftD at the 1969 Baltimore show

Thanks for posting all the fine photos, everybody.

Nope, you're both wrong. It first appeared in the 1792 American tour. cool smiley

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: May 31, 2015 23:56

brokecollegestudent
Rokyfan
When I go to shows I notice all the dudes like those in the background of that photo and think Boy, this crowd is sure old and then I realize that I fit right in. They sure look ready for Party Time. When i first started to going to Stones concerts you had to keep track of which of your neighbors was likely to vomit on your feet first.

They were sitting practically the whole time hah! I hope they enjoyed themselves. I think they may have been a little irritated with my boyfriend and I who were swigging beer and dancing the whole time smiling smiley

But we made friends with the older couple seated next to us, and I made friends with random ladies in line for the restroom... I tried to talk to as many people as possible! Everyone was so happy... It was a truly amazing night. I bonded over monkey man on the walk out of the stadium with another fan. It was all great until our walk back to our friends house went downhill... With me losing a shoe, and my boyfriend giving me a piggy back ride the rest of the way home... Lol

it's all fun and games until someone loses a shoe

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: June 1, 2015 00:00

I think the band is incorrect in assuming only the usual warhorses will hold
A stadium's attention. The Stones have so many well known songs beyond the warhorses. Personally I think they could perform the entire Sticky Fingers
to a stadium audience and it would be accepted. Well, easy for me to say as I don't have to look out and see bored stadium fans waiting for a ten minute
Version of Miss You!

I received some Twitter from the Rolling Stones announcing Hang on Sloopy
within the setlist. In the announcement, it was stated the band had Sloopy
In their 1966 setlist. To me Sloopy seems like an odd tune for them to cover
In 1966. Typically not the type of tune they would have given a nod to back
then. Think it was great they added it last night though - even if only
30 seconds.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 1, 2015 00:01

drbryant
That never used to be the case. Arena shows tended to be much tighter. But I have also noticed that their stadium shows are much better than 10-20 years ago. Part of it might be improved technology so they can hear each other better. Part my be the fact that Keith and Ronnie stay "home" most of the time and don't wander out on the ramps as much. And, partly it might be because they are concentrating a bit more on sound quality.

Excellent points, drb.
Ronnie, especially, stayed home and kept close to Charlie and Chuck last night. I'm sure the technology helps with the sound too. But you simply cannot deny the power of Jagger holding court squarely in the midst of 60,000 rocking fans.

What an inspiration.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 1, 2015 00:08

KeithFnRichards
wonder what happened here?

[twitter.com]]

The Police in Columbus Ohio, chased a boy right through the parking lot... this picture is awesome.

The guy on the ground was obviously selling counterfeit tickets. The smiling man was obviously just refunded money for counterfeit tickets he had bought. At least I'd like to think so.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 1, 2015 00:17

latvianinexile
Some of my pics from last night

Hi Latvian,
Your photos just get better and better. If someone told me these photos were professional, I'd believe them without question. I always look forward to your concert photos. We met last year on 14of Europe several times, notably in Oslo.

Keep up the excellent work sir smileys with beer

Date: June 1, 2015 00:18

alieb
brokecollegestudent
Rokyfan

it's all fun and games until someone loses a shoe

Or a hooker turns up dead or missing with a foul odor floating in the air.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 1, 2015 00:26

Naturalust
Nice review Josepi! Thanks for that. I have to agree that sometimes the crowd can make or break a show and it sounds like the Columbus crowd was made up of pretty good people. Ohio obviously grows more that just good corn.

Great seeing the iorr ladies angee, Cindy C and TorontoGirl together and having a blast. Looking forward to some reports from them all.

I've got this kind of sick fantasy of ALL the IORR women together those three plus Sway, swiss, with sssoul, Green Lady, tauk, ShortFatFanny, stonesrule, brokecollegestudent, latebloomer, et al and some idiot comes into the bar and starts dissing the Rolling Stones.eye popping smiley Something just kinda satisfying knowing how that would turn out. Ha! (I know Rockee...it wasn't the fantasy you had in mind)

My off the cuff observations about the show (from the live feed and videos), total armchair quarterback stuff.

1. It seemed a bit looser than San Diego musically as StonedRambler suggested. Perhaps they all got a bit too confident after the great Petco Park show. I think when they are all trying their hardest they achieve that loose wobble of Stones perfection and when they relax a bit it tends to sound a bit sloppy. Not that they had any trainwrecks and there were great moments but overall a bit too loose.

2. Micks vocals seemed much different than Petco Park. He was back to those pushed short phrases and sometimes affected singing. Not as musical or natural as we were lucky enough to witness in the first show. At times he seemed to stop singing all together like during Brown Sugar...not his best vocal performance.

3. The crew definitely made a stop in Colorado on the way to Ohio. winking smiley Keith was baked! I'm even going to guess this was the reason Jagger seemed a bit irritated at him, possibly because he shared his stash with Ronnie too! This may have contributed to #1 above. Blame Colorado. But hey I've got no judgement or expectations concerning anyone else's sobriety, just a slightly (ok highly) educated observation.

4. Hang on Sloopy was a brilliant and well executed surprise. The crowd chanting O-H-I-O was pretty damn cool. The only thing that could have made it better is if they had played the whole tune or Ronnie would have ended the song with the intro lick to Neil Young's Ohio!

5. Lisa needs to learn how to sing backup vocals. Yeah she is a good singer but, imo, when you are supporting a lead singer in a backup role, you don't carry your phrasing past theirs and over do it to the point it draws attention away from the lead vocal. It might just be me but I think they should drop her and GS altogether. eye popping smiley I'm actually quite shocked Mick let's her get away with that crap.

And before you all jump on me for my slightly critical observations please know that I love the Stones regardless and think these kind of comments are honestly what make iorr interesting and if "more than casual" fans can't be honest and have nothing to say but Cheers! Great Show! Go Stones! it all becomes slightly boring and adolescent.

peace

Exellent observations!! Also I would like add that if your seats are parallel to the Stage, views are obstructed from the protrusion of Video Screens. The Stones Stage on this tour obscures the view as you don't have the the angle to see the whole stage. It would be wise to take note of this fact. This is revealed by folks that took videos and are directly on the side of the stage.

In addition, why did they get off course after Wild Horses? It suddenly went from Wild Horses to War Horses. This cvoncert was clicking aand then resorted to the old song predictable song choices that leads us all to dread our own tickets for the upcoming concerts.

Date: June 1, 2015 00:28

Turner68
bleedingman
drbryant

Well, to me that was, in the absence of the under-utilized Mick Taylor, a great opportunity to be, excuse the expression, "spontaneous". It's a great jam song and also a good opportunity for a bit of a medley.

Regarding pandering to local audiences, Bob Wills was a nice touch in Austin.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 1, 2015 00:32

To be honest onlystones, you seem like a nice enough guy/gal............but please leave out these comments about hookers etc. on here.

We are just normal guys/gals that don't need that banter in Stones posts.

Just not needed but be welcome to give your views on any Stones topic you like to chat about. smoking smiley

Date: June 1, 2015 00:33

Nikkei
GratefulFred
Ronnie looked kind of f*cked up and was constantly sipping from a red cup and smoking. Kind of have a feeling he is back on the bottle

I suspected something like that when I heard his solo at the end of MR. He usually shines there, yesterday it was erratic.

I heard it's in Ronnie's contract that he submit to a breathalyzer prior to each show. smiling smiley

Seriously though, Ronnie has had off nights since his recent sobriety so let's hope he's still thriving under the love of a good woman.

Posted by: Gfmsoccer ()
Date: June 1, 2015 00:34

Chris Fountain
Naturalust
Nice review Josepi! Thanks for that. I have to agree that sometimes the crowd can make or break a show and it sounds like the Columbus crowd was made up of pretty good people. Ohio obviously grows more that just good corn.

Great seeing the iorr ladies angee, Cindy C and TorontoGirl together and having a blast. Looking forward to some reports from them all.

I've got this kind of sick fantasy of ALL the IORR women together those three plus Sway, swiss, with sssoul, Green Lady, tauk, ShortFatFanny, stonesrule, brokecollegestudent, latebloomer, et al and some idiot comes into the bar and starts dissing the Rolling Stones.eye popping smiley Something just kinda satisfying knowing how that would turn out. Ha! (I know Rockee...it wasn't the fantasy you had in mind)

My off the cuff observations about the show (from the live feed and videos), total armchair quarterback stuff.

1. It seemed a bit looser than San Diego musically as StonedRambler suggested. Perhaps they all got a bit too confident after the great Petco Park show. I think when they are all trying their hardest they achieve that loose wobble of Stones perfection and when they relax a bit it tends to sound a bit sloppy. Not that they had any trainwrecks and there were great moments but overall a bit too loose.

2. Micks vocals seemed much different than Petco Park. He was back to those pushed short phrases and sometimes affected singing. Not as musical or natural as we were lucky enough to witness in the first show. At times he seemed to stop singing all together like during Brown Sugar...not his best vocal performance.

3. The crew definitely made a stop in Colorado on the way to Ohio. winking smiley Keith was baked! I'm even going to guess this was the reason Jagger seemed a bit irritated at him, possibly because he shared his stash with Ronnie too! This may have contributed to #1 above. Blame Colorado. But hey I've got no judgement or expectations concerning anyone else's sobriety, just a slightly (ok highly) educated observation.

4. Hang on Sloopy was a brilliant and well executed surprise. The crowd chanting O-H-I-O was pretty damn cool. The only thing that could have made it better is if they had played the whole tune or Ronnie would have ended the song with the intro lick to Neil Young's Ohio!

5. Lisa needs to learn how to sing backup vocals. Yeah she is a good singer but, imo, when you are supporting a lead singer in a backup role, you don't carry your phrasing past theirs and over do it to the point it draws attention away from the lead vocal. It might just be me but I think they should drop her and GS altogether. eye popping smiley I'm actually quite shocked Mick let's her get away with that crap.

And before you all jump on me for my slightly critical observations please know that I love the Stones regardless and think these kind of comments are honestly what make iorr interesting and if "more than casual" fans can't be honest and have nothing to say but Cheers! Great Show! Go Stones! it all becomes slightly boring and adolescent.

peace

Exellent observations!! Also I would like add that if your seats are parallel to the Stage, views are obstructed from the protrusion of Video Screens. The Stones Stage on this tour obscures the view as you don't have the the angle to see the whole stage. It would be wise to take note of this fact. This is revealed by folks that took videos and are directly on the side of the stage.

In addition, why did they get off course after Wild Horses? It suddenly went from Wild Horses to War Horses. This cvoncert was clicking aand then resorted to the old song predictable song choices that leads us all to dread our own tickets for the upcoming concerts.

If you dread your tickets give them to me. I love the set list and can't wait to hear it again. Let them change it up when they want to.

Date: June 1, 2015 00:34

crawdaddy
To be honest onlystones, you seem like a nice enough guy/gal............but please leave out these comments about hookers etc. on here.

Just not needed but be welcome to give your views on any Stones topic you like to chat about. smoking smiley

i think he has the honky tonk blues. took the song a little too literally...

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 1, 2015 00:38

bleedingman
Nikkei
GratefulFred
Ronnie looked kind of f*cked up and was constantly sipping from a red cup and smoking. Kind of have a feeling he is back on the bottle

I suspected something like that when I heard his solo at the end of MR. He usually shines there, yesterday it was erratic.

I heard it's in Ronnie's contract that he submit to a breathalyzer prior to each show. smiling smiley

Seriously though, Ronnie has had off nights since his recent sobriety so let's hope he's still thriving under the love of a good woman.

You're right, I forgot about Sally. She's definitely a better influence than one Ekaterina.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: June 1, 2015 00:40

I saw the show and was very pleased, especially with Keith's two songs. His voice seemed stronger and confident.

Kid Rock was terrible. His songs had no discernible melody and he chose to speak the words instead of singing, but that made little difference as he was working with mediocre material. He used the F--- word often, which is pretty gross and in poor taste. However, the lead guitarist seemed very talented. I also thought it was in poor taste to introduce us all to the man who claims he killed Ben Laden. That was not appropriate at a rock concert.

I would have preferred that Kid stay at home and that the Stones play a two and one half hour set of songs. Other than Kid Terrible, we had a wonderful time. The Stones continue to amaze me.

Date: June 1, 2015 00:43

a friend just posted what they though of the show on Facebook. they are a stones fan, as you'll see, but not a fanatic. just thought members of IORR would like to see what a "regular" fan thought. this is what he said:

"Amazing performance last night by The World's Greatest Rock n Roll Band! Even in their 70s, there is no out there who performs like the Stones. Their professionalism,musicianship and showmanship is unparalleled. Please go if you've never seen them live as you won't be disappointed."

Posted by: catchinem ()
Date: June 1, 2015 00:46

bleedingman
KeithFnRichards
wonder what happened here?

[twitter.com]]

The Police in Columbus Ohio, chased a boy right through the parking lot... this picture is awesome.

The guy on the ground was obviously selling counterfeit tickets. The smiling man was obviously just refunded money for counterfeit tickets he had bought. At least I'd like to think so.

The black dude is excited that he spotted the joint on the sidewalk. Probably what the white dude is being arrested for.

Date: June 1, 2015 00:48

Turner68
crawdaddy

i think he has the honky tonk blues. took the song a little too literally...

Ok no more Dead Hooker jokes. Would everyone like to start over? I really do live for the Stones.

I will start from this point forward. Who is in?

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 1, 2015 00:49

I'm sure Ronnie is off the booze and Sally has been a great influence in the man and musician he is today.

Good on yer Ronnie and Good on yer Sally. >grinning smiley<

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2122232425262728293031...LastNext
Current Page: 26 of 33

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1699
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home