Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 33
Re: Columbus OH USA 30-May-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Date: May 31, 2015 22:05

video: [www.youtube.com]

Sympathy For The Devil (Complete)

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 31, 2015 22:06

Nice review Josepi! Thanks for that. I have to agree that sometimes the crowd can make or break a show and it sounds like the Columbus crowd was made up of pretty good people. Ohio obviously grows more that just good corn.

Great seeing the iorr ladies angee, Cindy C and TorontoGirl together and having a blast. Looking forward to some reports from them all.

I've got this kind of sick fantasy of ALL the IORR women together those three plus Sway, swiss, with sssoul, Green Lady, tauk, ShortFatFanny, stonesrule, brokecollegestudent, latebloomer, et al and some idiot comes into the bar and starts dissing the Rolling Stones.eye popping smiley Something just kinda satisfying knowing how that would turn out. Ha! (I know Rockee...it wasn't the fantasy you had in mind)

My off the cuff observations about the show (from the live feed and videos), total armchair quarterback stuff.

1. It seemed a bit looser than San Diego musically as StonedRambler suggested. Perhaps they all got a bit too confident after the great Petco Park show. I think when they are all trying their hardest they achieve that loose wobble of Stones perfection and when they relax a bit it tends to sound a bit sloppy. Not that they had any trainwrecks and there were great moments but overall a bit too loose.

2. Micks vocals seemed much different than Petco Park. He was back to those pushed short phrases and sometimes affected singing. Not as musical or natural as we were lucky enough to witness in the first show. At times he seemed to stop singing all together like during Brown Sugar...not his best vocal performance.

3. The crew definitely made a stop in Colorado on the way to Ohio. winking smiley Keith was baked! I'm even going to guess this was the reason Jagger seemed a bit irritated at him, possibly because he shared his stash with Ronnie too! This may have contributed to #1 above. Blame Colorado. But hey I've got no judgement or expectations concerning anyone else's sobriety, just a slightly (ok highly) educated observation.

4. Hang on Sloopy was a brilliant and well executed surprise. The crowd chanting O-H-I-O was pretty damn cool. The only thing that could have made it better is if they had played the whole tune or Ronnie would have ended the song with the intro lick to Neil Young's Ohio!

5. Lisa needs to learn how to sing backup vocals. Yeah she is a good singer but, imo, when you are supporting a lead singer in a backup role, you don't carry your phrasing past theirs and over do it to the point it draws attention away from the lead vocal. It might just be me but I think they should drop her and GS altogether. eye popping smiley I'm actually quite shocked Mick let's her get away with that crap.

And before you all jump on me for my slightly critical observations please know that I love the Stones regardless and think these kind of comments are honestly what make iorr interesting and if "more than casual" fans can't be honest and have nothing to say but Cheers! Great Show! Go Stones! it all becomes slightly boring and adolescent.

peace

Date: May 31, 2015 22:07

video: [www.youtube.com]

You Can't Always Get What You Want (Complete)

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 31, 2015 22:08

+1 on the thanks and praises to latvianinexile. Top notch, as always!

Gonna call out KeithFnRichards - again - for nicking and reposting sans credit - again.

Do the right thing, KFR. Or don't do it at all...

Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: May 31, 2015 22:09

The cake is in the oven. I am listening the Columbus show on you tube while cutting fruit and starting to prep for Sunday dinner with the family. I am cooking Thai chicken with peanut sauce.

I guess no one could help with that God awful hooker smell that's embedded in the carpet. It looks like I'm going to have to roll it up and throw it away again. Maybe next time I'll go with tile.

Anyway, the show really sounds wonderful.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 31, 2015 22:11

Personally I thoughly enjoy listening/watching the concert live when expert scopers like Debbie Tiger are doing such a great job of it AND then watching the Youtube videos... and as long as they are playing Stones songs I am happy about all it.

I like it all... but then again I am not all that finicky and I do not think it is "oh so hip and cool" to complain about set lists in every show thread. It does not add anything when the same ole boring posters repeatedly post the exact same complaints over and over and over and over in every show thread.

I do not get bored reading letters on a page that happen to repeat from show to show, I know the music being played live at the venue is making 40,000-60,000 (people who are actually at the venue) happy and the music is being played a little bit different every night.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 22:28 by Leonioid.

Posted by: Gfmsoccer ()
Date: May 31, 2015 22:16

Hang on Sloopy was brilliant last night. It shows they aren't just mailing it in, but are actually paying attention to where they are.

Correct me if I'm wrong but we're only 2 official shows into this tour and they've already done 4 different songs for you. And completely different sets in their club shows.

This is much different than some tours where they did the exact same show every night, down to the same jokes.

They wouldn't have a song vote contest if they didn't want to mix it up. Obviously they are going to do the warhorses in stadium shows. Every band in the world that does stadium shows knows that. They only can do 20 and Keith gets his 2, so I think this is the best you can hope for.

Obviously this is the last stadium tour here, so enjoy it and stop complaining! All we'll have in the future are theater shows we can't get tickets for, and that's if we're lucky, if Charlie decides to retire or Keith's forced to, it's
over.

Date: May 31, 2015 22:18

donvis
Too bad I don't have $50 billion and maybe I could have gotten Crazy Mama and I Got the Blues instead.

Maybe $ 50 billion would give you a shot at 2 non-warhorses but,to get a real set-list with any more than that,you need real money .... to the tune of TWELVE figures.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: May 31, 2015 22:20

josepi
Finally woke up and now have my sh*t together, so here goes...

Last night was my 35th Stones concert and for the most part it could not have gone better. Lucky Dipped this one and got sec 20A. Better than most dippers got, apparently. Got a real good listen to the sound check outside of gate 25 by the security entrance. They even let us inside when the rain and wind hit. Much better than being by the rotunda, which was also opened.

Kid Rock reminded me of Aerosmith without any good songs and no Joe Perry.

The crowd around me was OUTSTANDING. I really lucked out. It was like one big happy family and I've never socialized so much with strangers at a concert. Best of all... no drunks around me! The only times I've ever had concerts ruined was by drunks. Nobody even drinking beer at all anywhere near me. Smelled pot throughout the show, but that's fine by me.

There must not have been any "big city boys" around me, either, because everyone was having a blast and acting civilized. I would never even consider attending a Stones concert anymore in New York, Philly, Boston, Chicago, LA, SF, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, or any other of the so-called "major markets" because as far as I'm concerned, they're hell-holes. Columbus is one of the finest cities, maybe the best, in the USA and we like to keep it that way. Thank you for staying home!

This was my first Stones concert since 2006. Didn't do 2012-2014 because of the stale setlist issue. But 9 years have passed since then, so this year it didn't really matter what they play as long as I could still see them. The Lucky Dip pricing didn't hurt either!

Columbus has been really lucky since our first Stones show in 1997. The boys have historically put on GREAT shows here in town, and in my opinion you get more Satisfaction here than just about anywhere else. Of course all you sophisticated "big city boys" wouldn't know that. We got the world premiers of Sway and Hang on Sloopy, a rare and outstanding performance of Mr. Pitiful, and at the Licks sound check we got Soul Survivor which could be heard loud and clear by all of us inside the areana at the bar. Columbus Licks was really one of the best of the whole tour.

IMO, the highlights of last night's show were....

Wild Horses - was hoping for MM, but this was a great rendition ow WH. Very beautiful and delicate. Excellent guitar weaving.
Hang on Sloopy - what can i say.. the only downer was they should have played it all the way thru. The crowd was expecting as much once it started.
Paint it Black - great version.
Gimme Shelter - the intro was great, really one of the best GS intros I've ever heard them play.
Rambler - powerhouse. Again, one of the best Ramblers I've heard.

The real highlight, though, was the crowd. The best I've ever been in. Thank you to all who attended!

A bit lame review. Maybe drink a beer or two/three the next time.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 31, 2015 22:21

Gfmsoccer
Hang on Sloopy was brilliant last night. It shows they aren't just mailing it in, but are actually paying attention to where they are.

Correct me if I'm wrong but we're only 2 official shows into this tour and they've already done 4 different songs for you. And completely different sets in their club shows.

This is much different than some tours where they did the exact same show every night, down to the same jokes.

They wouldn't have a song vote contest if they didn't want to mix it up. Obviously they are going to do the warhorses in stadium shows. Every band in the world that does stadium shows knows that. They only can do 20 and Keith gets his 2, so I think this is the best you can hope for.

Obviously this is the last stadium tour here, so enjoy it and stop complaining! All we'll have in the future are theater shows we can't get tickets for, and that's if we're lucky, if Charlie decides to retire or Keith's forced to, it's
over.

you had me going for a minute but the "4 different songs in 2 shows" gave it away as a parody.

How many seconds of Sloopy did they play? It was a joke, right, not like they actually played a song? Or I am mistaken.

Anyway, good post.

Date: May 31, 2015 22:26

josepi
Finally woke up and now have my sh*t together, so here goes...

Last night was my 35th Stones concert and for the most part it could not have gone better. Lucky Dipped this one and got sec 20A. Better than most dippers got, apparently. Got a real good listen to the sound check outside of gate 25 by the security entrance. They even let us inside when the rain and wind hit. Much better than being by the rotunda, which was also opened.

Kid Rock reminded me of Aerosmith without any good songs and no Joe Perry.

The crowd around me was OUTSTANDING. I really lucked out. It was like one big happy family and I've never socialized so much with strangers at a concert. Best of all... no drunks around me! The only times I've ever had concerts ruined was by drunks. Nobody even drinking beer at all anywhere near me. Smelled pot throughout the show, but that's fine by me.

There must not have been any "big city boys" around me, either, because everyone was having a blast and acting civilized. I would never even consider attending a Stones concert anymore in New York, Philly, Boston, Chicago, LA, SF, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, or any other of the so-called "major markets" because as far as I'm concerned, they're hell-holes. Columbus is one of the finest cities, maybe the best, in the USA and we like to keep it that way. Thank you for staying home!

This was my first Stones concert since 2006. Didn't do 2012-2014 because of the stale setlist issue. But 9 years have passed since then, so this year it didn't really matter what they play as long as I could still see them. The Lucky Dip pricing didn't hurt either!

Columbus has been really lucky since our first Stones show in 1997. The boys have historically put on GREAT shows here in town, and in my opinion you get more Satisfaction here than just about anywhere else. Of course all you sophisticated "big city boys" wouldn't know that. We got the world premiers of Sway and Hang on Sloopy, a rare and outstanding performance of Mr. Pitiful, and at the Licks sound check we got Soul Survivor which could be heard loud and clear by all of us inside the areana at the bar. Columbus Licks was really one of the best of the whole tour.

IMO, the highlights of last night's show were....

Wild Horses - was hoping for MM, but this was a great rendition ow WH. Very beautiful and delicate. Excellent guitar weaving.
Hang on Sloopy - what can i say.. the only downer was they should have played it all the way thru. The crowd was expecting as much once it started.
Paint it Black - great version.
Gimme Shelter - the intro was great, really one of the best GS intros I've ever heard them play.
Rambler - powerhouse. Again, one of the best Ramblers I've heard.

The real highlight, though, was the crowd. The best I've ever been in. Thank you to all who attended!

Thank you for posting your thoughts josepi,
it is ALWAYS good to read reviews from people who were actually there.

Glad to hear you had a good time, Columbus does have good people which makes for good concert crowds and they are one of the reasons the Stones go back there so often. I have seen one Stones show there and it was indeed a pleasure.

Posted by: rtr ()
Date: May 31, 2015 22:30

Columbus show audio available on dimeadozen.org
[www.dimeadozen.org]

Posted by: radkovskii85 ()
Date: May 31, 2015 22:35

Posted by: carlosrr ()
Date: May 31, 2015 22:37

Pardon if my earlier post did not get properly submitted, but while the Stones were doing Miss You in Columbus, did Jagger omit the reference to Puerto Rican girls? We were singing along and it did not seem to be sung.

Cheers

Carlos

"Support International Tourism,
Visit Matamoros, Mexico"

Date: May 31, 2015 22:41

carlosrr
Pardon if my earlier post did not get properly submitted, but while the Stones were doing Miss You in Columbus, did Jagger omit the reference to Puerto Rican girls? We were singing along and it did not seem to be sung.
I was not listening to the scope at that point, maybe some one else was and will answer, but if not just wait until the song is posted on Youtube your question will be answered.

Keep searching there ( something like this search) it will pop up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 22:42 by Leonioid.

Date: May 31, 2015 22:50

I am still listening to last nights show. It is excellent. The cake is out of the oven and the watermelon is cut up (a very juicy, sweet one at that).

Mom and dad are over for Sunday dinner. I have new problem under similar circumstances as before. My father pulled me aside and said that even though he was used to the smell of that "shit you smoke", that my house now smelled like rank hooker (I was impressed that he knew what that smell was).

My problem is this: Should I move dinner out to the patio? (its a little warm here)? Or should I say f-it and keep it in the dining room and tough it out.

Listening to Sloopy now. The people of Ohio have to be really happy to hear the Stones do a sing-along with them.

Thoughts?

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 31, 2015 22:54

I just sent my "review" in to BV.
Here's the quick take on Columbus:

The Rolling Stones are at their FINEST in an outdoor stadium.
My son liked this show BETTER than Chicago #3 from "50 and Counting'.
The place was ABSOLUTELY PACKED.

Memo to naysayers: Buy your tickets and go.

Walking out, I heard a guy in his 30's (maybe?) say this:
"Out of all the shows I've ever been to,
THAT was the best concert I've EVER SEEN."

THAT.
thumbs upcool smiley

Posted by: rocknola ()
Date: May 31, 2015 22:55

he asked "where's Mick Taylor??!!"

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 31, 2015 23:04

If I'd been there I definitely would have thought they were starting Get Off My Cloud when they started Hang On Sloopy. They definitely should have jammed it out a bit.

Date: May 31, 2015 23:09

I am up to Paint it Black sounds and looks excellent to me.

Things are quickly spiraling out of control. My father would not let it alone. He basically said that he knows things get a little crazy when I follow the goddam Stones around. He made me swear that no one was hurt at the party that I had for the Columbus show. He said he knows when peoples houses smell like mine does, it never turns out good.

I assured him that to the best of my recollection, that every one left here ok. This didn't make him seem at ease. Oh well, on with Sunday dinner. The patio it is.

By the way I'm at the warhorse section of the show. It sound great to me!

I remain;

Onlystones

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 31, 2015 23:12

The thing about "Hang on Sloopy" (or "Wild Thing" or "Louie Louie" for that matter) is that anyone (and I mean ANYONE) can play it with about 15 minutes of practice and it'll sound good. Would it have killed Mick to learn the verses? I would have loved to hear a full version. Great song.

Date: May 31, 2015 23:16

Real quick. I know this is slightly OT.

Does anyone have a wine choice for Thai chicken with peanut sauce?

SFD I love it! Great rendition.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 31, 2015 23:17

drbryant
The thing about "Hang on Sloopy" (or "Wild Thing" or "Louie Louie" for that matter) is that anyone (and I mean ANYONE) can play it with about 15 minutes of practice and it'll sound good. Would it have killed Mick to learn the verses? I would have loved to hear a full version. Great song.

Totally agree. To anyone in the front rows for future shows, please bring cue cards with the Hang On Sloopy lyrics. Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 23:17 by bleedingman.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 31, 2015 23:20

bleedingman
drbryant

Totally agree. To anyone in the front rows for future shows, please bring cue cards with the Hang On Sloopy lyrics. Thank you.

i can't tell who is being sarcastic or not. pandering to your audience in this way is straight out of the "nostalgia act" playbook, authored by neil diamond and slim whitman. not that there is anything wrong with that.

perhaps when they play in the south they should play "okie from muskogee"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 23:21 by Turner68.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 31, 2015 23:23

Is there anyone in here who has actually seen both of the first two stadium shows? I'd like to hear a compariso from you.

NL, I agree with your assessment of Lisa's performance. On points 1, 2, and 3, about the looseess, Mick's voice, and Keith, I would appreciate someone looking at both in detail who was there, simply because imo, to contrast one show heard live and one on tape may not work as well as going to both live. (Not saying your observations are not accurate. They may well be. I just heard a high quality of voice and playing but have no other show I've heard yet.) I guess it's all relative and also maybe a little subjective too, huh,, depending on other factors too such as where you are seated, expectations, last show attended, who you are with, and so forth.

Obviously the setlist was better at Petco.

I hear it was colder in California than Ohio.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 23:24 by angee.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 31, 2015 23:23

drbryant
The thing about "Hang on Sloopy" (or "Wild Thing" or "Louie Louie" for that matter)
is that anyone (and I mean ANYONE) can play it with about 15 minutes of practice and it'll sound good.
Would it have killed Mick to learn the verses? I would have loved to hear a full version. Great song.

Watching the youtube clip I had the impression that the Mick wasn't expecting that O-H-I-O chant
and while he was focussed on figuring out what the crowd were up to, he neglected to come in for the verse,
the moment passed and the band circled just around until they could bring it in for a landing.

It was fun anyway, though.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 31, 2015 23:24

Kurt
I just sent my "review" in to BV.
Here's the quick take on Columbus:

The Rolling Stones are at their FINEST in an outdoor stadium.
My son liked this show BETTER than Chicago #3 from "50 and Counting'.
The place was ABSOLUTELY PACKED.

Memo to naysayers: Buy your tickets and go.

Walking out, I heard a guy in his 30's (maybe?) say this:
"Out of all the shows I've ever been to,
THAT was the best concert I've EVER SEEN."

THAT.
thumbs upcool smiley
That never used to be the case. Arena shows tended to be much tighter. But I have also noticed that their stadium shows are much better than 10-20 years ago. Part of it might be improved technology so they can hear each other better. Part my be the fact that Keith and Ronnie stay "home" most of the time and don't wander out on the ramps as much. And, partly it might be because they are concentrating a bit more on sound quality.

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: May 31, 2015 23:26

onlystones
Real quick. I know this is slightly OT.

Does anyone have a wine choice for Thai chicken with peanut sauce?

SFD I love it! Great rendition.

A Riesling, gewurtztraminer, or Tavel Rose would be my initial thoughts, I assume spicy.

Sometime with spicy Asian food I just go SingHa.

Either way Enjoy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 23:26 by jabhead.

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: May 31, 2015 23:32

carlosrr

Cheers

Carlos

no he sang that line

Rolling Stones - Columbus OH, May 30 2015
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 31, 2015 23:32

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 33

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1753
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home