Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 8 of 13
Re: From the Vaults Hyde Park 69
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 24, 2015 16:42

Mine should arrive tomorrow. I've never bit on prior releases so really have nothing to compare to and will be very happy to have!!

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: July 24, 2015 19:14

jiggysawdust
Since it was recorded in 1969, audio rights are probably controlled by Abkco, which would explain no CD.

Not an issue by any means. Haven't been for years.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: July 24, 2015 22:19

It is an issue. It's not the issue it used to be, but a new CD is not going to be distributed by Eagle Rock under their deal with the Stones. It's even likely that the reason there appear to be no extras on the new release is so they didn't have to do a new deal with ABCKO. There may be detente between the camps, but there are still legal and financial issues to deal with and the Stones probably felt it wasn't worth it for Hyde Park.

Posted by: jiggysawdust ()
Date: July 24, 2015 22:49

TeddyB1018
It is an issue. It's not the issue it used to be, but a new CD is not going to be distributed by Eagle Rock under their deal with the Stones. It's even likely that the reason there appear to be no extras on the new release is so they didn't have to do a new deal with ABCKO. There may be detente between the camps, but there are still legal and financial issues to deal with and the Stones probably felt it wasn't worth it for Hyde Park.

Exactly, The Stones/Eagle Rock would have to license the audio from Abkco.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: July 25, 2015 00:55

Does anyone actually have this yet? I went to Best Buy in Atlanta and the computer said no stores in the area had it. Was there a delay?

Ross

Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: July 25, 2015 00:58

Ross
Does anyone actually have this yet? I went to Best Buy in Atlanta and the computer said no stores in the area had it. Was there a delay?

Ross

I just opened mine, ordered from Amazon.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 25, 2015 01:11

Got mine too. Looks like the same as what came with the Sweet Summer Sun Deluxe, only Bluray. I plan on watching it later after a few cold ones, and some baby-back ribs & beans cooked on the open fire pit!

Date: July 25, 2015 01:22

TeddyB1018

In this case, ABKCO is not involved by any means. The audio for this release is owned by Granada Television International Limited, which is why BMG has been able to release it so many times, since it first appeared on VHS in 1983.
All songs are published by Westminster Music. An audio cd would most likely be published by Eagle Rock with lisence from Granada. ABKCO has never been involved and can't blog it, even if they wanted to.

Date: July 25, 2015 01:47

Yes, once again, they could. It was recorded during the period the Stones were under exclusive contract and a CD would contain unreleased performances. Film sync rights are different and were negotiated at the time. ABCKO is not able to release anything from the time period of the contract not previously released without the Stones' permission and the Stones are not able to release anything from that time period without ABCKO.

The publishing company only holds the publishing and sync rights. The record company still holds performance rights to anything recorded during the time period the band was under contract. All of the performance rights to master recordings, released and unreleased, from the post-1971 period reverted to the Stones and are assignable by them. All the rights to the pre-1971 period reverted to ABCKO and are controlled by them, with the exception that they cannot release anything not previously approved for release without new permission, like the Ya-Ya's deluxe or Rock and Roll Circus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-25 01:50 by TeddyB1018.

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: July 25, 2015 04:57

/\

Very interesting Teddy. So what does all this mean for the possiblity of a future complete MSG 69 show materializing on dvd??

Too many hoops for the Stones to jump through to make it worth their time??

I hope not.

Date: July 25, 2015 05:41

TeddyB1018
Yes, once again, they could. It was recorded during the period the Stones were under exclusive contract and a CD would contain unreleased performances. Film sync rights are different and were negotiated at the time. ABCKO is not able to release anything from the time period of the contract not previously released without the Stones' permission and the Stones are not able to release anything from that time period without ABCKO.

The publishing company only holds the publishing and sync rights. The record company still holds performance rights to anything recorded during the time period the band was under contract. All of the performance rights to master recordings, released and unreleased, from the post-1971 period reverted to the Stones and are assignable by them. All the rights to the pre-1971 period reverted to ABCKO and are controlled by them, with the exception that they cannot release anything not previously approved for release without new permission, like the Ya-Ya's deluxe or Rock and Roll Circus.

Well, maube you're right. But honestly, doesn't people think that the real reson of omission of a cd, is due to the fact that the guitars and performance is so out of tune, it would be horrible to listen to? The concert as an audio-only experience is really really poor. Seldom has guitars been so wrangled.

Date: July 25, 2015 06:49

I agree that it's very possible that the group thought it wasn't appropriate for audio release. It's one thing to watch, another to just listen.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: July 25, 2015 09:10

TeddyB1018
I agree that it's very possible that the group thought it wasn't appropriate for audio release. It's one thing to watch, another to just listen.

I don't think so.

The Hyde Park concert, of course, is not a brilliant concert but it has got some good and historical moments like Stray Cat Blues, Midnight Rambler and Jumping Jack Flash or Love in Vain. Just because of this aspects the show need(ed) an official release.

From the other hand there are some very bad moments (first of all SFTD) and some of these tracks are not published in this release. I don't think that they did not release the project in a CD format because of the bad performance of the band - also the performance by Blind Faith, a month earlier was not brilliant.

In other releases, like LA Forum, there are also tracks with a lot of mistakes that they published without any problems and without any work in studio; they published the show entirely and it is good.

I don't think that the modus operandi, for this From The Vault project, is based on a musical aspect, I think that the Stones are not able to release anything from that time period without ABCKO as someone, before me, said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-25 09:24 by pepganzo.

Date: July 25, 2015 10:02

pepganzo
TeddyB1018

I don't think so.

The Hyde Park concert, of course, is not a brilliant concert but it has got some good and historical moments like Stray Cat Blues, Midnight Rambler and Jumping Jack Flash or Love in Vain. Just because of this aspects the show need(ed) an official release.

From the other hand there are some very bad moments (first of all SFTD) and some of these tracks are not published in this release. I don't think that they did not release the project in a CD format because of the bad performance of the band - also the performance by Blind Faith, a month earlier was not brilliant.

In other releases, like LA Forum, there are also tracks with a lot of mistakes that they published without any problems and without any work in studio; they published the show entirely and it is good.

I don't think that the modus operandi, for this From The Vault project, is based on a musical aspect, I think that the Stones are not able to release anything from that time period without ABCKO as someone, before me, said.

As Stones fans, we have become so used to the 'sound' of that Hyde Park show.
But take away the images, and play the audio only. The guitars are so out of tune it becomes destracting. It's not like there isn't mistakes on other Stones shows, there is plenty, but all other shows has the instruments in tune.
I simply believe that the real reason there is no audio cd, is because the performance itself as an audio experience, are considered too sub-par.

You have also misunderstood the thing with ABKCO: The Stones CAN release itmif they want to. It's not like ABKCO is not willing to participate. Every Stones release released and published by ABKCO, will have to be given the green light from The Stones. That means releases ABKCO releases like Singles Collection, Charlie Is My Darling, etc, are fully authorised by The Stones.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 25, 2015 10:21

Blueranger
pepganzo
TeddyB1018

I don't think so.

But take away the images, and play the audio only. The guitars are so out of tune it becomes destracting. It's not like there isn't mistakes on other Stones shows, there is plenty, but all other shows has the instruments in tune.
I simply believe that the real reason there is no audio cd, is because the performance itself as an audio experience, are considered too sub-par.

You have also misunderstood the thing with ABKCO: The Stones CAN release itmif they want to. It's not like ABKCO is not willing to participate. Every Stones release released and published by ABKCO, will have to be given the green light from The Stones. That means releases ABKCO releases like Singles Collection, Charlie Is My Darling, etc, are fully authorised by The Stones.

No, the can't release Hyde Park on CD if they want to without permission from ABKCO because they were contracted to ABKCO for the period in question. TeddyB1018's summary of the legal situation is pretty accurate. Of course, getting permission from ABKCO is no more a major obstacle like it used to be decades ago, but a permission means nothing more than MONEY - a share they/Eagle would have to pay to ABKCO. Copyright means control: I can say yes or no. If you want me to say yes, please pay me.

Date: July 25, 2015 10:39

alimente
Blueranger
pepganzo
TeddyB1018

I don't think so.

No, the can't release Hyde Park on CD if they want to without permission from ABKCO because they were contracted to ABKCO for the period in question. TeddyB1018's summary of the legal situation is pretty accurate. Of course, getting permission from ABKCO is no more a major obstacle like it used to be decades ago, but a permission means nothing more than MONEY - a share they/Eagle would have to pay to ABKCO. Copyright means control: I can say yes or no. If you want me to say yes, please pay me.

Read it again. :-)
That's also what I am saying.
IF they wanted to release it, they could do it, but it would be in a coorporation with ABKCO. Again, I think they didn't include a cd because of the out-of-tune issues.

Date: July 25, 2015 12:07

Blueranger
pepganzo
TeddyB1018

I don't think so.

You are right, ok, the sound is not good, the guitars are so out of tune (in my opinion in some moments these defects have their charm) BUT Hyde Park 1969 is a historic moment for the rock music and for the Stones. So I'd like to have the entire concert but I'm happy about an official release of the concert. It's enough for me.

This concert was the and of an era (not only for the Stones) and the biginning of another one: a new way to do live sets, a new way to do music, a new concept of rock n' roll group.

Of course, at the time, they did not release the concert and it was correct, we have Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! to document the tour and the Stones in their best form. The important thing about this show is the atmosphere and then the music.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 25, 2015 17:57

TeddyB1018

The obvious answer is to get all of them in the studio to do overdubs.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 25, 2015 18:58

treaclefingers
TeddyB1018

The obvious answer is to get all of them in the studio to do overdubs.

Don't be silly, the Stones would never do that sort of thing!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 25, 2015 19:07

So can anyone who has the Stones In The Park DVD that came with Sweet Summer Sun Deluxe and also bought this Blu Ray give a comparison? I've bought every Vaults and Bootleg release in one form or other but this seems redundant.

Posted by: rbarnes00 ()
Date: July 25, 2015 21:15

Even though I got a $3 off Best Buy coupon for this in the Marquee Club release, the local Best Buy does not have any of these in stock one day after release. Makes sense.

Date: July 25, 2015 21:20

The new DVD is the same as the Sweet Summer Sun DVD except for the printing on the label. I didn't buy the Blu Ray version.

Date: July 26, 2015 11:06

TeddyB1018
The new DVD is the same as the Sweet Summer Sun DVD except for the printing on the label. I didn't buy the Blu Ray version.

So is the original DVD that they published with SSS this? (2011)

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: July 26, 2015 12:11

... and in 5 months they will do the complete show on cd and dvd after we bought that one! It is business man!

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: July 26, 2015 23:58

I bought and finished watching the bluray version. It all seems fine to me as I
have not viewed the program in a long time so I can not comment on the upgrade
although I'm pleased with the quality and content.

One thing I did notice is there seems to be some crowd members from the Altamont
concert at the Hyde Park concert. Wonder if anyone else has noticed this?

Date: July 27, 2015 00:21

swimtothemoon
I bought and finished watching the bluray version. It all seems fine to me as I
have not viewed the program in a long time so I can not comment on the upgrade
although I'm pleased with the quality and content.

One thing I did notice is there seems to be some crowd members from the Altamont
concert at the Hyde Park concert. Wonder if anyone else has noticed this?

I noticed there was crowd control as in the Hells Angels. Interesting to see a group of them dancing together.....interesting

Date: July 27, 2015 10:59

pepganzo
TeddyB1018

So is the original DVD that they published with SSS this? (2011)

The audio has been completely remixed and the extras included on that Japanese Blu Ray are not included.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: July 27, 2015 17:47

It was so damn generous of Best Buy to include the $3.00 Off coupon for the Hyde Park Blu-ray with the purchase of the Marquee discs.

Especially since no store in the Atlanta area has it in stock, so you have to order it...and the shipping costs....wait for it....$2.99!

Sooo, with the coupon (which is good for online purchases)...I save....$.01 !

Helluva deal, thanks Best Buy! (I just coughed up the extra $.01 and ordered from Amazon with free shipping!)

Ross

Date: July 27, 2015 18:10

Ross
It was so damn generous of Best Buy to include the $3.00 Off coupon for the Hyde Park Blu-ray with the purchase of the Marquee discs.

Especially since no store in the Atlanta area has it in stock, so you have to order it...and the shipping costs....wait for it....$2.99!

Sooo, with the coupon (which is good for online purchases)...I save....$.01 !

Helluva deal, thanks Best Buy! (I just coughed up the extra $.01 and ordered from Amazon with free shipping!)

Ross

Actually Amazon knocked my price down $3.00 to $14.99 upon shipment

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: July 27, 2015 23:18

Is there a chance that this one will be avaible on iTunes? In Europe, too? This has been released in europe, but not via iTunes. So there should be no reason not to publish this to download.

Another question: will the US-bluray work on European players? Any information or experiences already?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 8 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home