Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Moonlight Mile... WSJ
Posted by: thijs1981 ()
Date: May 27, 2015 21:30

I think with writing the difficult thing is always gonna be balancing the right amount of 'head' and the right amount of 'heart'. And that's hard to manage. Glad to see Jagger finally aware of his own remarkable achievements!

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: May 27, 2015 21:32

I've never bought the MJ who acts like he doesn't remember anything anyway. Can't see a guy who's so detail oriented about all aspects of touring being somebody who's just forgotten everything else in the past. He just needs a reason to remember, i.e. songs that are on rereleases.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 27, 2015 22:16

<<I've never bought the MJ who acts like he doesn't remember anything anyway.>>

That's all part of his neophyte preoccupation. He wants to be--and, more important, to be perceived as--part of the now, the today, the happening figures.

Sure, he likes being the super famous legend/star, but he'd rather you overlook that he's actually from c.1965, because he's here now, and therefore happening... at least that's what he wants the (very) young women of today to think.

Consequently, regarding his public persona, what happened decades ago doesn't matter. He only wants to talk about what he's doing presently, because younger people--who he prefers the company of--are not interested in long-ago memories, but instead current events.

Date: May 27, 2015 22:22

And presently he's doing SF...

Date: May 27, 2015 22:26

True, and a deluxe re-release with now, happening remastering makes it current and new once again. smiling smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 27, 2015 22:42

It's pretty clear that the disinterested, forgetful Jagger is an affectation he's put on over the years to distance himself from his band and to not risk exposing more of himself than he's comfortable sharing.

It's a shame he's so stubbornly committed to not doing an autobiography, because I think he could tell some fascinating and detailed stories about the '60s and '70s eras, as the above article proves.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 27, 2015 22:46

So anyone knows how to play the intro? On the clips from SD it looks like Jagger plays it pretty high up the neck.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: May 27, 2015 22:47

It's nice that he gives props to Bernard, definitely an unsung/underappreciated hero who puts a lot of thought into his backing vocals and arrangements.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 27, 2015 23:01

Koen
So anyone knows how to play the intro? On the clips from SD it looks like Jagger plays it pretty high up the neck.

Yeah it's super easy. String references are standard tuning ones:

On an open G tuned guitar he starts on the 12th fret A string then moves up to the D string then the G string then back to the D string, hammering on from the 12th to 14th each time and letting the lower open string ring out to get that droning effect.

He finishes the phrase by hammering the 7th to 9th fret on the D string and ending with a non-fretted strum of the open G chord.

Still wish he was using an acoustic guitar but in any case his use of the thicker strings is interesting and makes the phrase a bit warmer.

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-27 23:04 by Naturalust.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 27, 2015 23:03

Mick is saying that Mick Taylor had no part in writing Moonlight Mile. But I thought Moonlight Mile was one of the Stones tunes Mick T thought he should have gotten credits on.

Date: May 27, 2015 23:07

Taylor has only stated that he suggested the strings. He has always said that Mick had the song down.

Many here on the board think Taylor should have earned credits through his lovely playing, but that's another matter...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-27 23:11 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: May 27, 2015 23:09

<<Mick is saying that Mick Taylor had no part in writing Moonlight Mile.>>

And he may well be correct and truthful.

Did Mick T write any of the words or verses, such that the song could not have existed if written solely by Mick Jagger?

Perhaps Mick T came up with some of the music--but that's arranger credits, and the organizations responsible for collecting and paying out publisher and songwriter royalties only recognize lyricists and not musical arrangers.

Posted by: wellalright ()
Date: May 27, 2015 23:10

most substantial recollections from MJ in history. wonderful. a book of those song deconstructions would be the best music book ever.

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: May 27, 2015 23:19

Great article on a beautiful song. Very nice of Mick to open up about the inspiration and the creative journey that produced this masterpiece.

I hope they keep this in the set. It will only get better as the tour progresses.

I have been very lucky to see many amazing Stones shows since 1978. But I still have 3 big items on my Stones "bucket list."

1. See them in a club
2. See them perform "Moonlight Mile"
3. See them perform "Worried About You"

Hoping to knock #2 off the list in either Dallas, Atlanta or Buffalo.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 27, 2015 23:19

triceratops
Mick is saying that Mick Taylor had no part in writing Moonlight Mile. But I thought Moonlight Mile was one of the Stones tunes Mick T thought he should have gotten credits on.

Yeah I always thought Taylor came up with the main guitar riff or some lyrics or something but after watching how well Jagger plays it I'm more convinced Taylor's contributions were not as important to the writing as might have been insinuated.

No doubt Taylor was there, possibly helped on the arrangement and certainly contributed to the beautiful recording but I have come to believe this is really Mick's baby.

Mick's doubled vocals on the original are just sublime. When he comes in with "the sound of strangers sending nothing to my mind" it just gets me every time. Its one of those tunes I'd love to hear Jagger play mostly solo, perhaps with just Taylor and Bernard singing Micks other vocal parts.

peace

Posted by: dimrstone ()
Date: May 27, 2015 23:20

Great piece from Mick. Thank you

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 27, 2015 23:27

That was a nice read...wish they insert a booklet with all the Sticky song with the new Sticky Fingers release

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: May 28, 2015 01:57

GREAT Interview!
Made me wish there was a book of Mick going through each & every Stones song!

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: May 28, 2015 02:10

So nice and refreshing to hear Mick talk openly and honestly with passion about his work. So used to him acting like he doesn't remember anything or even what album a song is on. Mick is a creative genius.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: May 28, 2015 05:03

Yeah, that was an extremely refreshing article. So interesting too. Whoever made this interview happen: More please!

Are there any other MJ/KR interviews that describle songs at such length?

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 28, 2015 06:15

Reagan
I can't believe some reporter got him to talk at such length about a song. Any song.

Good stuff.

I know! Great stuff. I wonder if the newspaper and the reporter came up with the idea to discuss a song in depth beforehand or what? Did Mick want to look at this song right now because they worked on it recently and he wasn't sure how it would come off in concert? Does the reporter have a prior relationship with Mick? I'm so curious about the process of how this interview came to be.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: May 28, 2015 07:37

Wow, one of the best Jagger interviews I've ever read. He actually gives us something real. I loved it.

Posted by: David Neal ()
Date: May 29, 2015 20:35

i'll have two chances to hear MM...tomorrow night and Pitts on June 20th.... Was debating the Quebec festival show, but not convinced it will be a full set? any thoughts on this?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 29, 2015 21:07

This was also in today's Wall Street Journal:

Hey! You! Get Off of My Lawn

By Bob Greene

May 28, 2015 9:30 p.m. ET

For the second concert in their lucrative-beyond-the-dreams-of-potentates new tour, the Rolling Stones on Saturday night will step onto the football field of Ohio Stadium in Columbus. There is never a day when I don’t wish that Woody Hayes were still alive, but I particularly would relish hearing his thoughts on this development.

Hayes, who was head football coach of the Ohio State Buckeyes for 28 years, had the final say on virtually every aspect of the university’s football program. Rock musicians performing on the gridiron were not a part of his vision for what should properly transpire inside the horseshoe-shaped stadium. It is probably no coincidence that the first rock band given permission to play in Ohio Stadium—Pink Floyd—was not afforded that opportunity until 1988, a year after Woody’s death.

That stadium was his domain, and he had rather firm thoughts about who should be allowed access to the field. I asked Kaye Kessler—a sportswriter in central Ohio for 45 years and a man who covered Hayes’s teams from Woody’s first day as head coach until his last—what Hayes would have done if he’d been told the Rolling Stones were coming through the tunnel and onto the field.

“He’d have run ’em out,” said Mr. Kessler, now retired and living in Colorado.

Mr. Kessler wasn’t offering idle speculation; he had seen Hayes in action when someone had the temerity to wander uninvited onto an Ohio State football facility. He recalled the day when, at a Buckeye practice, Hayes summarily ejected a man named Bill Reed, who was accompanying a group of out-of-town sportswriters. Bill Reed, at the time, was merely the commissioner of the Big 10. Woody, Mr. Kessler said, “didn’t give a rat’s [posterior].”

Hayes was a complicated, fascinating, endlessly contradictory man of pronounced likes and dislikes. Students of the fierce Ohio State-Michigan football rivalry are aware of the deep mutual affection that existed between Hayes and his chief adversary, the renowned Michigan coach Bo Schembechler (who died in 2006). After Hayes was fired for slugging a Clemson player during the 1978 Gator Bowl, it was Schembechler who tried to comfort his despairing, embarrassed friend.

Hayes’s dislikes could be somewhat eccentric; a year or so after that final game, he and I were riding around central Ohio in his pickup truck when, out of nowhere, he said: “Do you know what president of the United States I feel the least use for?” When I had no answer, Hayes said: “ Woodrow Wilson.” I asked why. “Come on, you know.” When I indicated that I didn’t, Hayes said: “Because Wilson wasn’t a man’s man.”

One of the things he had no use for was rock music. “He did like a jazz piano player named Billy Maxted,” Mr. Kessler recalled. “He’d go out to a place called the Grandview Inn to hear Maxted play.” The Ohio State University Marching Band played his favorite tunes of all—prominent among them “The Buckeye Battle Cry” and “Carmen Ohio.” But the appeal of the popular culture of the 1960s and ’70s, with the disorder and confusion it represented, was lost on him.

He once erupted when an assistant coach, assigned to select a movie for the football team to watch the night before a game, made the mistake of choosing “Easy Rider.” It steamed him whenever Playboy magazine would invite his stars to Chicago to pose for its annual preseason All-American team photo. A conservative and wary coach who once said of the forward pass, “Only three things can happen, and two of them are bad,” Hayes wasn’t about to placidly hand his players over to the loose-living Hugh Hefner.

If, as Mr. Kessler noted with a laugh, Hayes’s response to rock bands on his turf might well have been “You kids get off my lawn!,” such concerts in Ohio Stadium are no longer controversial. Of Saturday’s Rolling Stones show, Columbus Monthly magazine predicted: “You’ll be telling the grandkids about the night the Stones blew the laces off the Shoe.”

But, as the years inexorably go by, it’s probably helpful to keep certain things in perspective. On the last day Hayes went to work in Ohio Stadium—a game against Michigan on Nov. 25, 1978—the white-haired coach in the black baseball cap, seemingly so ancient as he prowled the sidelines and jawed with the referees, was 65 years old.

When the Rolling Stones report for work on that football field this weekend, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards will each be 71. A few days after the show, Charlie Watts will turn 74 and Ronnie Wood will turn 68.

Get off my lawn? Woody would have been the baby of the bunch.

Mr. Greene’s books include “And You Know You Should Be Glad: A True Story of Lifelong Friendship” (Harper, 2007).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-29 21:32 by Title5Take1.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: May 29, 2015 22:37

DandelionPowderman
swiss
It is super interesting -- but also because Keith has said for years that he was the one walking around plucking out that "Japanese Thing," for some months, before Mick Taylor then picked it up and embellished on it, with Mick Jagger riffing on lyrics, and the two of them (MT/MJ) shaped it into a cohesive piece.

What think?

-swiss

Keith said he came up with the riff in the ending. Taylor said he came up with the string arrangements smiling smiley

Taylor came up with the part he plays during the section that leads up to Mick belting out "Yeah, I'm comin' home." It changes the feeling of the song enough, in my opinion, to be called compositional. Probably would've merited a songwriting byline if he were in Led Zeppelin, as Page liked to credit Bonham and JPJ as often as he could.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: May 29, 2015 22:38

StonesCat
I've never bought the MJ who acts like he doesn't remember anything anyway. Can't see a guy who's so detail oriented about all aspects of touring being somebody who's just forgotten everything else in the past. He just needs a reason to remember, i.e. songs that are on rereleases.

I thought the same thing. It's going to be a pity how much great info/insights he's going to take to his grave.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 30, 2015 04:04

Mel Belli
StonesCat

I thought the same thing. It's going to be a pity how much great info/insights he's going to take to his grave.

Even with someone like Paul McCartney!

PAUL MCCARTNEY: "There were two songs I turned Mick onto that the Stones have done. One was SHE SAID YEAH and the other was AIN'T TOO PROUD TO BEG. Mick would deny it'Wot? Never saw him, never met him'—but I distinctly remember having him up into a little music room and playing it to him. He loved it and he went and did it."

From >>> [abbeyrd.best.vwh.net]

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: May 30, 2015 04:34

Hard to believe same person wrote Let's Work.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 30, 2015 13:37

Really nice to hear the Mick go into serious detail about songwriting,
even though parts of it contradict others' accounts of the evolution of this number.
Bill referred to the Oriental riff as "Keith's Japanese thing", and he's not prone
to giving Keith credit if he can help it, so I'm not sure who's misremembering. But it doesn't matter.

I strongly doubt Mick meant to say the phrase a headful of snow isn't about cocaine -
just that the song itself isn't about drugs, nor is the title phrase. The headful of snow
isn't even a "veiled reference" or a "hidden meaning" - it's about as veiled as my back end at the moment,
which is - well, never mind! :E

The lyric that kills me every time is the verse about making a ragpile of his shiny clothes -
that's got to be one of the most eloquent ragpiles in the business.

I love the Rolling Stones

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: June 3, 2015 06:02

Just seems like this video should be in this great thread!!

Rolling Stones "Moonlight Mile" San Diego Petco Park 5-24-2015
[m.youtube.com]

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2020
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home