Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Moonlight Mile... WSJ
Posted by: David Neal ()
Date: May 27, 2015 18:41

By
Marc Myers Updated May 27, 2015 11:31 a.m. ET

For the first time in years, the Rolling Stones are performing “Moonlight Mile” at arenas during their 15-city North American “ZIP Code” concert tour. Written by Mick Jagger in 1970, the eclectic road song closed “Sticky Fingers,” the band’s 1971 album, which is being reissued on June 9 by Universal as a two-CD set with bonus material.

Fans have long speculated about the song’s meaning, with many assuming that lyrics such as “a head full of snow” and “moonlight mile” were code for cocaine. Mr. Jagger dismissed such suggestions last week, saying the song was written about his loneliness during a rigorous European tour in the summer of 1970 and his elation upon returning home.

The original basic studio recording of “Moonlight Mile” featured only Mr. Jagger, guitarist Mick Taylor and drummer Charlie Watts, with additional guitars, piano, bass and strings overdubbed later. Mr. Jagger, 71, talked about how the song was written and recorded. Edited from an interview:

Mick Jagger: I wrote some of the early lyrics to “Moonlight Mile” in a songbook I carried around when we were on tour in the summer of 1970. I was growing road-weary and homesick then. I’m sure the idea for the song first came to me one night while we were on a train and the moon was out. I don’t recall. I know I didn’t want to literalize how I was feeling. That’s not really a very good thing to do when you’re writing lyrics, you know? The feeling I had at that moment was how difficult it was to be touring and how I wasn’t looking forward to going out and doing it again. It’s a very lonely thing, and my lyrics reflected that.

I also came up with an Oriental-Indian riff on my acoustic guitar. At some point during the tour I played it for [Stones guitarist] Mick Taylor, because I thought he would like it. At that point, I really hadn’t intended on recording the song. Sometimes you don’t want to record what you’re writing. You think, “This isn’t worth recording, this is just my doodling.”

When we finished our European tour in October 1970, we were at Stargroves, my country house in England. We were sitting around one night and I started working on what I had initially written. I felt great. I was in my house again and it was very relaxing. So the song became about that—looking forward to returning from a foreign place while looking out the window of a train and the images of the railway line going by in the moonlight.

But the lyrics I wrote didn’t come across like that, because they weren’t so on the nose. They were more imaginative and wistful than if I had written them straight, like, “I’m tired of the road,” you know? The feeling I wanted was the image of elongated space that you’re traveling through to get home: “Oh I am sleeping under strange, strange skies / Just another mad, mad day on the road / My dreams is fading down the railway line / I’m just about a moonlight mile down the road.” It was about the difficulty I was going through of being away.

In most cases now, I try to analyze what I’m writing and try to make sense of it and rejig the grammar and everything. I try not to cross between first person and third person and all those things you’re not supposed to do. Back then, I didn’t really do that, and in this song, I don’t really think it matters. I think it’s good that I just did what I was feeling. There are a lot of different images jumbled in there that come across as one. But it’s definitely not about cocaine. There’s no hidden meaning in there about that. It’s feeling I’m finally home and thinking about the times when I was lonely on the road.

Sometimes you write songs on your own and you do the demo and then you go into the studio and change it around. But sometimes you just write songs and record them at the same time. This was one of those songs, though I did add a bit more to it later. So at Stargroves, I was just doodling the song and I worked out a couple of different parts to it.

At some point during the evening, I think Keith [Richards] left to go home, and Bill [Wyman] for some reason wasn’t there. After Keith left, just Charlie, myself and Mick were in the room. I finished doodling pretty late, probably around midnight, and we started playing the song to see how it sounded.
I’d already come up with the guitar riff, so I started playing it and singing. I was playing my guitar when Mick added something and then Charlie started playing. That’s when I realized it was more than doodling, that this was a real song we could record as we fooled around with it. The instrumentation was really interesting and created this really interesting mood

Several hours later, we decided to record. At the house, there was a big living room when you walked in, sort of a big double-height imitation-gothic hall. It had a nice high ceiling, so we recorded most everything in there. Mick and I were both familiar with the song’s melody lines. But then you get someone like Charlie playing the drums and you find you’re building an atmosphere.

Honestly, I wasn’t really thinking about whether the song’s opening would be Japanese or Indian. Obviously, the tones or scales I used gave it an Oriental flavor, which is echoed later in the string writing. Most of the song is more Indian to me. I listened to a lot of Indian music then, and little bits rubbed off on me. These things were hinted at when the song goes into the B section, where the beat comes in [sings]: “Oh I’m sleeping under strange, strange skies”—when it goes into that. Then it’s kind of left behind and it goes into something else. The verses are also slightly Indian in their inception.

Charlie’s use of the mallets was remarkable and let him dispense with the big offbeat. So you get this rhythmic subtlety that goes along with the guitar lines. It’s so moody. But nothing was planned. It was all spur of the moment, which is the beauty of the song. Of course, some of the things we added later were there to enhance the mood we had come up with—like overdubbed guitars by Keith and Mick, Bill’s bass, Jimmy Price’s piano and Paul Buckmaster’s strings. It was a question of building the song and then bringing down the dynamic and how you use the instrumentation to do that.

What makes “Moonlight Mile” special is that it’s a song and a recording at once. All these things —the strange plinking piano, the tom-tommy mallets on the drums, the different guitars—they all came together to produce a feeling of vulnerability and loneliness, you know what I mean? I think the three of us finished recording the basic track around 6 a.m. The sun was coming up.

Later, I added a bit of double-tracking to fill out my vocal, but not much. I actually do that quite a lot on recordings. Sometimes you don’t hear it or you’re not even aware of it. On “Moonlight Mile,” I double-tracked the odd lines just for emphasis. On some records I’ll double-track the lead vocals and then do harmonies up and harmonies down to give them a stronger feel. In this case, we mixed the song so the double-track sound was just marginally there

It was my idea to use Paul [Buckmaster] to arrange the strings. I had used him before, on the end of “Sway” [on “Sticky Fingers”]. For this piece, we thought it would be nice to build the song with strings and have those hinted quarter-tones Paul’s so good at. His orchestration echoes what I’m singing and builds into the coda, so it amplifies all the stuff you heard before in a rather subtle way. Then he has a really nice edit that mellows when I sing, “Yeah, I’m coming home.”

The other day I was listening to the original “Moonlight Mile” before we rehearsed it in Los Angeles for the tour. I was with Bernard Fowler, who has been my background vocalist since ’85. He’s doing my double-track voices on stage. Unfortunately I can’t do them live [laughs]. Anyway, it was quite a process. We went through the lines on the original recording to analyze which ones I had done alone and which ones I had doubled. In performance, the doubling effect is even bigger than on the album because there are more people singing on it.

On our current tour, I play electric guitar on “Moonlight Mile” instead of acoustic guitar, which I played on the original. I play the electric open-tuned, the same way I did on “Sticky Fingers.” I don’t really like how acoustic guitar sounds live. It sounds all banjo-y to me. The amplification of an acoustic guitar isn’t really brilliant, you know? To be honest, it’s much easier playing electric on stage because it’s more controllable—the sound and effects and everything. So I sound slightly different, but the arrangement has the same mood. We also have a really nice string sample that sounds close to the original strings. That helps the ending build.

Keith plays an open-tuned guitar with me on stage. He kind of does a bit of what my part is and does other things, too. There’s a lot going on with the live version. I just hope it’s not too cluttered. The way we do it now is much more confident than on the album, and I’m a lot more confident with it. When you get the song out in a very big place, it still seems quite intimate. Yet it’s still hard to do in a large arena, you know? It’s hard to get it right. But I don’t know. I hope people like it. I more or less do the vocal in a similar style, so I don’t change that. It’s not much more projected or anything, and it’s pretty personal and honest.

When I hear “Moonlight Mile” now, I really like it. I think it’s a good piece of music. It’s unusual, and it’s still accessible and delicate and has a climax and comes back down and ends quite well. I suppose I’ve also grown a little more accustomed to touring [laughs].

Re: Moonlight Mile... WSJ
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 27, 2015 18:58

Very interesting thanks, it's rare (can't remember any other time honestly) for Mick to go into such details about songwriting and arrangements!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 27, 2015 18:59

Wow, that's what I thought too. Mick has never been that specific when asked about the meaning of his lyrics. Thanks for sharing!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 27, 2015 19:01

Very interesting thank you! thumbs up

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: May 27, 2015 19:17

My second favorite Rolling Stones song! I hope they play it in Milwaukkee and KC!

Posted by: thijs1981 ()
Date: May 27, 2015 19:20

Very interesting! This is a different Jagger than "I don't remember which album this was on"-guy. Great how much he remembers. Lovely to read.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 27, 2015 19:28

Wow. This sounds like a new Mick. Very cool. And it sure sounds like they are planning to play it a lot more.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 27, 2015 19:33

It is super interesting -- but also because Keith has said for years that he was the one walking around plucking out that "Japanese Thing," for some months, before Mick Taylor then picked it up and embellished on it, with Mick Jagger riffing on lyrics, and the two of them (MT/MJ) shaped it into a cohesive piece.

What think?

-swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-27 19:37 by swiss.

Date: May 27, 2015 19:38

swiss
It is super interesting -- but also because Keith has said for years that he was the one walking around plucking out that "Japanese Thing," for some months, before Mick Taylor then picked it up and embellished on it, with Mick Jagger riffing on lyrics.

it's not realistic to expect them to remember exactly what was what so long ago, but this quote: "Honestly, I wasn’t really thinking about whether the song’s opening would be Japanese or Indian." suggests that perhaps there was a debate about the opening and whether it would be a japanese inspired one or an indian one. it wouldn't be crazy for them to have played around with multiple intros. (as you can see in the sympathy for the devil documentary, the percussion intro they ultimately used had nothing to do with how jagger wrote the song.)

this is a great interview. it also rings true that he gives a lot of credit to charlie for inspiring him to make it a real song and for giving a lot of the atmosphere - i think charlie's drumming on this song is incredible and a big part of what makes it special.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-27 19:41 by Turner68.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 27, 2015 19:39

Thanks for sharing. Amazing how much details he remembers about the origin of the song.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 27, 2015 19:40

Excellent post, thanks. I just wish Mick would realize that acoustic amplification has come a long way since the banjo-y, piezo pickup days and it would be pretty easy for them to recreate some of the great acoustic tones they got on so many of my favorite Stones tunes.

With a few exceptions the Stones have become an all electric band and some acoustic treatment of some of the tunes is just what the doctor ordered, imo. The combination of electric and acoustic is what gave those great records their magical feel and the technology is available for them to do it live!

peace

Date: May 27, 2015 19:43

swiss
It is super interesting -- but also because Keith has said for years that he was the one walking around plucking out that "Japanese Thing," for some months, before Mick Taylor then picked it up and embellished on it, with Mick Jagger riffing on lyrics, and the two of them (MT/MJ) shaped it into a cohesive piece.

What think?

-swiss

Keith said he came up with the riff in the ending. Taylor said he came up with the string arrangements smiling smiley

Date: May 27, 2015 19:45

DandelionPowderman
swiss

What think?

-swiss

Keith said he came up with the riff in the ending. Taylor said he came up with the string arrangements smiling smiley

science has made great strides in studying memory, one of the things that is well documented now is that several people can swear they remember something perfectly, and all remember it differently. there is a famous study about what people remembered the day the space shuttle exploded in the 80s. it's likely that all of these stories about the creation of songs have elements of truth and elements of what is inaccurate but still believed to be true.

except, of course, "satisfaction" where somewhere there is a cassette tape with keith snoring it :-)

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 27, 2015 19:46

"Of course, some of the things we added later were there to enhance the mood we had come up with—like overdubbed guitars by Keith and Mick ..."

I don't hear any Keith guitar on MM.

I also thought it's debatable if Jagger got the idea of adding strings towards the end of the song. Wasn't that Taylor's idea or am I mixing up MM with Winter now?

Anyway, I always take those memories with a grain of salt. I guess they have all different versions of what happened.

Date: May 27, 2015 19:49

kleermaker
I guess they have all different versions of what happened.

couldn't agree more.
the most interesting part of this is jagger's description of what inspired him to write it. awesome to hear.

Posted by: RollingStoner ()
Date: May 27, 2015 19:50

That's very interesting! I hope this means that Moonlight Mile stays in the setlist since so much work was put into it during rehearsals!

Date: May 27, 2015 19:51

A great read with a serious Mick for a change smiling smiley

Nobody remembers exactly what went down, but so what? We got the beautiful music thumbs up

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 27, 2015 19:56

I choose to believe Jagger on this one in spite of the probable errors (ie. Keith's over dubbed guitar parts). It's a pretty detailed description of the songs writing, development and recording and I doubt we'll ever get anything better on this one.

It was obvious from hearing the song in SD that Mick (and Keith) had spent some time listening to the original because they thankfully got closer to the feel and tempo of it much better than previous attempts, imo. It was a show highlight for me.

peace

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: May 27, 2015 20:02

I can't believe some reporter got him to talk at such length about a song. Any song.

Good stuff.

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: May 27, 2015 20:04

Great insight from Mick!! I can't remember him ever sharing so much detail on the making of a song!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 27, 2015 20:34

DandelionPowderman

Nobody remembers exactly what went down, but so what? We got the beautiful music thumbs up

That's true, let's stop talking here. winking smiley

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: May 27, 2015 20:41

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 27, 2015 20:43

"For the first time in years, the Rolling Stones are performing “Moonlight Mile” at arenas stadia during their 15-city North American “ZIP Code” concert tour."

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 27, 2015 20:51

I hope we get more of this sort of analysis in the future. Great stuff. Today's Jagger is different from yesterday's and also from tomorrow's, as we know...

Date: May 27, 2015 20:54

There are a lot of nice anecdotes gathered on timeisonourside.com as well, regarding songwriting.

Posted by: David Neal ()
Date: May 27, 2015 21:01

i find it difficult to pick a favorite Stones song for me, but MM is in my top 5 ...great song just sit back, relax and zone ...can't wait for Columbus and Pittsburgh....hope and praying for NYC/Boston/Toronto

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 27, 2015 21:05

DandelionPowderman

+ 1

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 27, 2015 21:08

"Fans have long speculated about the song’s meaning, with many assuming that lyrics such as “a head full of snow” and “moonlight mile” were code for cocaine. Mr. Jagger dismissed such suggestions last week, saying the song was written about his loneliness during a rigorous European tour in the summer of 1970 and his elation upon returning home."

Yes, but "a head full of snow" in the summer? [snorting smiley]

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: May 27, 2015 21:21

MJ: "In most cases now, I try to analyze what I’m writing and try to make sense of it and rejig the grammar and everything. I try not to cross between first person and third person and all those things you’re not supposed to do. Back then, I didn’t really do that, and in this song, I don’t really think it matters. I think it’s good that I just did what I was feeling."

glad he is aware of this...maybe he will be inspired by his memories of writing MM to write what he is feeling instead of over analyzing and overly using his rhyming dictionary. I've felt that in recent decades his lyric-writing has suffered from being too cautious (in terms of meaning and grammar).

IORR............but I like it!

Date: May 27, 2015 21:28

sweet neo con
MJ: "In most cases now, I try to analyze what I’m writing and try to make sense of it and rejig the grammar and everything. I try not to cross between first person and third person and all those things you’re not supposed to do. Back then, I didn’t really do that, and in this song, I don’t really think it matters. I think it’s good that I just did what I was feeling."

glad he is aware of this...maybe he will be inspired by his memories of writing MM to write what he is feeling instead of over analyzing and overly using his rhyming dictionary. I've felt that in recent decades his lyric-writing has suffered from being too cautious (in terms of meaning and grammar).

"You WAS a beauty" from She's So Cold springs to mind winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-27 21:28 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1381
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home