Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 34
Re: Private Rolling Stones gig at the Belly Up, Solana Beach San Diego tonight
Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 29, 2015 13:51

Al Pacino was FOS!!! smileys with beer

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: May 29, 2015 14:07

Naturalust
2120Wolf
bv
Please don't make offending jokes about Ralph Whitworth. He could have paid for any band for his party but he paid for the Stones. He took the check. He brought great friends and associates to his party. They were a great crowd. It was a blast for everyone in the room including the Stones.

And please do not argue about this. He is more successful than you and me. That means he is smart. He makes things work. I would admire any person who had the money to buy anything, but rather than buying a million dollar car, he is getting the Stones for a private show. I would do the same, if I could.

more successful than you and me
That all depends on how you gauge success...(Corporate Finance yes I agree, you and I are not billionaires.
However we have to include Spiritually..Trustworthiness...Honesty...Loyalty...Who pays the price for ones decisions...and a list of others. I am not impressed or intimidated by ones wealth...It means nothing to me, however I appreciate your dedication and all your hard work...Always remember BV Success is a State of Mind, not a cast of judgement....

thumbs up Well said tatters. Couldn't agree more. How people measure success tells us more about the person than anything about the true meaning of success.

peace

+ 1 thumbs up

Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: May 29, 2015 14:11

NEWMAN
with sssoul
NEWMAN
swiss
bv
I am not invited. I just happened to bike the Del Mar Mesa trails this morning, three hours or so, great trails, and they just happened to be preparing for a private show right here. I saw the trucks outside, and some crew, pretty easy to see what is going on when you know a lot of faces.

I see... I thought by the following you meant you went there last night to scope it out because you knew about tonight.

bv
I went to...the Belly Up last night, to get a feeling of the the venue.

What an amazing coincidence you just happened to go there last night to scope out the space! And then just happened to ride by today - wow

Yes, please explain?!

Whatever has got up your craw, BV doesn't have to explain to swiss, to you or to any of us.
It's obvious that he doesn't blare every piece of news he gets, nor should he, nor would you in his position.
The information that the Stones were playing a private show was posted here for all of us to see.
Swiss, you asked a few pages ago for someone to tell you not to blame anyone but yourself,
so here you go: If you really believe you would've gotten into this private party if you'd shown up,
you have no one to blame but yourself for not showing up. Same to Newman,
and to everyone else who doesn't grasp what the word "private" means.

And the Stones have played debutante balls when offered that kind of gig since 1962.

Now on with the show. Good health to the Rolling Stones :E

No he doesn't have to explain anything, but why the contradiction? No need for it.

Don't try to rationalize with the personality cult. Sycophants aren't capable of thinking critically.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 29, 2015 14:15

Dreamer
Naturalust
2120Wolf
bv
Please don't make offending jokes about Ralph Whitworth. He could have paid for any band for his party but he paid for the Stones. He took the check. He brought great friends and associates to his party. They were a great crowd. It was a blast for everyone in the room including the Stones.

And please do not argue about this. He is more successful than you and me. That means he is smart. He makes things work. I would admire any person who had the money to buy anything, but rather than buying a million dollar car, he is getting the Stones for a private show. I would do the same, if I could.

more successful than you and me
That all depends on how you gauge success...(Corporate Finance yes I agree, you and I are not billionaires.
However we have to include Spiritually..Trustworthiness...Honesty...Loyalty...Who pays the price for ones decisions...and a list of others. I am not impressed or intimidated by ones wealth...It means nothing to me, however I appreciate your dedication and all your hard work...Always remember BV Success is a State of Mind, not a cast of judgement....

thumbs up Well said tatters. Couldn't agree more. How people measure success tells us more about the person than anything about the true meaning of success.

peace

+ 1 thumbs up

Except that it wasn't tatters. smiling smiley

I do think we should give BV a little credit here, I seriously doubt his only definition of success is how much money a person is able to amass in one lifetime. I think he was just trying to defend Whitworth, who seems to be admired, rightly so, for his philanthropy.
I read an article recently that said the key to happiness is not in acquring things, but in having experiences that you will treasure throughout your life. On that score, I think Mr. Whitworth is on the right track. What could be more worthwhile than to spend your money on a private Stones concert? smiling smiley

Date: May 29, 2015 14:18

All I read between the lines in Bjørnulf's post was that he admired this finance dude spending his money on booking the Stones, instead of on other things.

Anyone who disagrees with that?

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: May 29, 2015 14:19

Some more pics:

[www.1057max.fm]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-29 14:25 by mitch.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 29, 2015 14:20

Has anyone clarified the philantropic aspect of this event in the course of this thread? Only thing I recall was one of BV's pics that read "Word Debut of the Immunotherapy Foundation"

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 29, 2015 14:27

Thanks for posting those great pics mitch.

Were you lucky enough to have been there. smileys with beer

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: May 29, 2015 14:28

Thanks for posting the pics, Mitch thumbs up

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 29, 2015 14:29

Nikkei
Has anyone clarified the philantropic aspect of this event in the course of this thread? Only thing I recall was one of BV's pics that read "Word Debut of the Immunotherapy Foundation"

I wasn't speaking to the event, just to the charity work that Whitworth has done.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: May 29, 2015 14:31

It's a good thing that the Rolling Stones are playing in Columbus tomorrow so that we can get back to focusing on the music rather than all the bs that's been going on here lately. BV will complete his review from the Belly Up when he gets to Ohio he writes. I'm definitely looking forward to that.

Date: May 29, 2015 14:33

Nikkei - here is info from radio station 105.7 [www.1057max.fm]

* Ralph Whitworth (ex Hewlett-Packard exec) hosted the concert for his and his wife’s anniversary. The celebration was also benefiting their new foundation “The Immunotherapy Foundation”
* They paid $3 million for the performance (Same guy who paid Paul McCartney for a private concert too last year!)
* 75 minute set
* Encore song was “Satisfaction” and the 400 guest crowd was loving it!
* Donations were made from the guests to The Immunotherapy Foundation

Date: May 29, 2015 14:33

Yes but it was suggested before and the card or poster or what it was alluded that the "Immunotherapy Foundation" debuted there. Maybe BV knows more.

edit: thanks for the pictures Mitch and thanks for the info Plink. So Whitworth paid for the performance and encouraged his guests to make donations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-29 14:36 by Nikkei.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: May 29, 2015 14:45

crawdaddy
Were you lucky enough to have been there. smileys with beer

No, unfortunately!

Date: May 29, 2015 14:48

Plink
Nikkei - here is info from radio station 105.7 [www.1057max.fm]

* Ralph Whitworth (ex Hewlett-Packard exec) hosted the concert for his and his wife’s anniversary. The celebration was also benefiting their new foundation “The Immunotherapy Foundation”
* They paid $3 million for the performance (Same guy who paid Paul McCartney for a private concert too last year!)
* 75 minute set
* Encore song was “Satisfaction” and the 400 guest crowd was loving it!
* Donations were made from the guests to The Immunotherapy Foundation

That was for his former wife? Did he meet his present wife there? grinning smiley

Date: May 29, 2015 15:01

^^^
When I read the 105.7 fm article stating that the Macca gig for the previous wive's b-day took place a year ago I thought "Jeez, this guy must change wives more often than he changes the oil in his Lamborghini". However, a quick Googling has revealed that the McCartney gig actually took place in 2003 - more details here: [www.sandiegoreader.com]#

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 29, 2015 15:05

If the $3 million sum was correct I'm sure it's a record for a privat gig.

Date: May 29, 2015 15:07

Also a record bargain considering it's the Stones.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 29, 2015 15:15

Long John Stoner
Naturalust
onlystones
No I'm here.

eye popping smiley. Actually glad you still are. Any news on another show tonight? No need to defend yourself in any way but a few more show details for the sake of us who are truly interested would be welcome. Much Thanks.

peace

I think it would be nice if he defended himself.

I looked back over his posts. He says he's from Florida. He was at home there and heard about the Belly Up. At a post timed 5:11 a.m. PST on 5/27, or 8:11 a.m. on the east coast, he said he was going. Later that day at 2:01 p.m. PST or 5:01 east coast, he says he's on a plane.

Let's assume he hadn't taken off yet. We get to assume certain things here since he hasn't been forthcoming. We don't know where in Florida he is, but just about any nonstop flight from Florida is at least five hours. I checked Flight Aware, and the vast majorty of available flights from Miami and Orlando to San Diego are NOT nonstop. But let's give him the benefit of the doubt- let's say at the last miute he was able to find a nonstop flight to San Diego and he lives near an airport that has an airline that flies there.

Then, at 5:54 p.m. PST he's says he's "in". He doesn't say where that is but he says he's going to lose his phone soon so we have to assume he's at the Belly Up. It has been seven hours from plane to "in". This is where the truth gets really challenged. I know San Diego. I've been to the Belly Up dozens of time so I know where it is. From de-planing to the Belly Up in less than two hours ready to go as he led us to believe is nigh on impossible, timewise. Every single damn thing would have had to be in his favor, from nonstop at an airport near his house to no traffic onthe 5 and 805 freeways in San Diego to finding and meeting his contacts making the alleged transaction and then getting in unquestioned.

All in all, his story is highly suspect.

Edit- I adjusted the times because I resetmy settings to reflect California (Pacific) time. There's no way his timeline is can work. Moreover, I checked ALL planes landing from anywhere in Florida at Lindbergh field yesterday. A Southwest Airlines plane from Orlando landed at 2:29 p.m, Pacific time (no way he's on it) and an American Airlines plane from Miami land around 10:16 p.m. (too late). He either took a private, which would be listed on Flight Aware or he didn't do this.

This is hilarious. You actually took the time to do this? You care? I assume that a fair amount of the accounts I read like this are fantasy. Who knows whether onlystones's posts were just brilliant fiction and he is enjoying the results - - - people taking positions and arguing about whether the story was real or made up.

Besides, if he's not for real, I will be stuck at teterboro Monday afternoon waiting in vain for the private flight to the show at the Basement benefiting tourette's syndrome.

Date: May 29, 2015 15:31

Plink
^^^
When I read the 105.7 fm article stating that the Macca gig for the previous wive's b-day took place a year ago I thought "Jeez, this guy must change wives more often than he changes the oil in his Lamborghini". However, a quick Googling has revealed that the McCartney gig actually took place in 2003 - more details here: [www.sandiegoreader.com]#

That's what I thought smiling smiley

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: May 29, 2015 15:37

Forgive me for not remembering who posted this but DAMN - this is good:

Success is a State of Mind, not a cast of judgement....

CE smoking smiley

Date: May 29, 2015 15:41

As in "I successfully imagined to be at the private show" ?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 29, 2015 15:42

Cocaine Eyes
Forgive me for not remembering who posted this but DAMN - this is good:

Success is a State of Mind, not a cast of judgement....

CE smoking smiley

It sounds similar to something I heard years ago "You're as great as your experience" .... (I took that to mean internal experience of your own being / soul...sans drugs or booze of course...(that's cheating....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-29 16:12 by EddieByword.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 29, 2015 15:42

Cocaine eyes... do you by chance have any updates about possible London shows, or Europe for that matter, in 2016hot smileysmoking smiley

Thanks

jeroen

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: May 29, 2015 15:55

I am afraid it isn't. As per the Huffington Post the Deutsche Bank gig in Barcelona 2007 cost USD 5.4 mn.

Nikkei

Agree, at about half of what Deutsche Bank paid, it is almost a steal.

BTW, if it was USD 5.4 mn for the Deutsche Bank: Is that the highest fee the Stones ever raked in for a private gig?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 29, 2015 15:55

Beast
Ha ha - love it,drbryant!!

Me too me toooo :E

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: May 29, 2015 16:08

drbryant

Onlystones told me what happened, and I believe him. In his words:

I knew I didn't have much time, so I called a buddy, who told me that "a powerful friend" had chartered a private jet to San Diego and I was free to join if I could get to nearby Wayne Airfield in 15 minutes. I grabbed my briefcase, which I had filled with unmarked bills in small denominations, and jumped in my Lambo. I knew if I really pushed it, the airfield was still 20 minutes away - I made it in ten. I got on the jet, saw that there were only two passengers, so I picked a seat at the back of the 12-seat jet, placed my briefcase on the seat next to me and was soon sound asleep. I knew that a night of sex, drugs and rock and roll lay ahead, and I wanted to get some rest. I awoke just as we were touching ground in San Diego, and immediately started calling Hertz to get the best sports car they had, when the other passenger turned around and offered me a ride to the city. I looked at him and joked "my mother told me not to get in cars with strangers", and he smiled and replied "this isn't a car", as the hovercraft lifted off.

We were at the Belly Up in no time. I thanked my new friend, and headed for the catering department of the club. I walked in the door and knew things weren't good. My contact introduced himself, and said sheepishly "We need more money. There are these guys from LA, the Diaz brothers, who are offering twice what you offered. For some reason, I just lost it. I'm not a huge guy, but I do have a black belt in karate, and can be scary when I'm upset. I screamed 'I have the money, and we had a deal. F#%^* you, buddy, and f#%^* the f#^#%^g Diaz brothers; I bury those cockroaches!' He seemed to get the message, and suddenly I had an "Event Catering" lanyard around my neck and was being led backstage to a small room. Inside, there was a table with a dozen lines - a woman that looked suspiciously like Kate Upton, looked up at me and said "finally! I've been waiting for someone else to arrive so we could party!"

the club was small. I saw BV. Mick wore black and they played "Crazy Mama" and "I Got the Blues". I cried. The rest is history. I'll try to post more later.

What a satire, a real good read, and a cool criminal story. Hilarious. Thank you drbryant. If onlystones ever retired, you'd perfectly fill the gap.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: May 29, 2015 16:08

Rokyfan
Long John Stoner
Naturalust
onlystones
No I'm here.

eye popping smiley. Actually glad you still are. Any news on another show tonight? No need to defend yourself in any way but a few more show details for the sake of us who are truly interested would be welcome. Much Thanks.

peace

I think it would be nice if he defended himself.

I looked back over his posts. He says he's from Florida. He was at home there and heard about the Belly Up. At a post timed 5:11 a.m. PST on 5/27, or 8:11 a.m. on the east coast, he said he was going. Later that day at 2:01 p.m. PST or 5:01 east coast, he says he's on a plane.

Let's assume he hadn't taken off yet. We get to assume certain things here since he hasn't been forthcoming. We don't know where in Florida he is, but just about any nonstop flight from Florida is at least five hours. I checked Flight Aware, and the vast majorty of available flights from Miami and Orlando to San Diego are NOT nonstop. But let's give him the benefit of the doubt- let's say at the last miute he was able to find a nonstop flight to San Diego and he lives near an airport that has an airline that flies there.

Then, at 5:54 p.m. PST he's says he's "in". He doesn't say where that is but he says he's going to lose his phone soon so we have to assume he's at the Belly Up. It has been seven hours from plane to "in". This is where the truth gets really challenged. I know San Diego. I've been to the Belly Up dozens of time so I know where it is. From de-planing to the Belly Up in less than two hours ready to go as he led us to believe is nigh on impossible, timewise. Every single damn thing would have had to be in his favor, from nonstop at an airport near his house to no traffic onthe 5 and 805 freeways in San Diego to finding and meeting his contacts making the alleged transaction and then getting in unquestioned.

All in all, his story is highly suspect.

Edit- I adjusted the times because I resetmy settings to reflect California (Pacific) time. There's no way his timeline is can work. Moreover, I checked ALL planes landing from anywhere in Florida at Lindbergh field yesterday. A Southwest Airlines plane from Orlando landed at 2:29 p.m, Pacific time (no way he's on it) and an American Airlines plane from Miami land around 10:16 p.m. (too late). He either took a private, which would be listed on Flight Aware or he didn't do this.

This is hilarious. You actually took the time to do this? You care? I assume that a fair amount of the accounts I read like this are fantasy. Who knows whether onlystones's posts were just brilliant fiction and he is enjoying the results - - - people taking positions and arguing about whether the story was real or made up.

Besides, if he's not for real, I will be stuck at teterboro Monday afternoon waiting in vain for the private flight to the show at the Basement benefiting tourette's syndrome.

Yeah, I did, and I'm not sure why it bothers you. Maybe it's the professional investigator in me, or the facf that like others said, integrity matters. Checking the flights took all of a minute. I won't bill you for the time.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 29, 2015 16:09

wellalright
ohotos
Calling them one percenters was just a quick way for me to identify the guests as some called them that further up in the thread, sorry if I offended you. Sure, some heads might roll after this "breach" but all this security theater in the US is way overblown.

I was not offended at all. I was just pointing out how ignorant and small minded that comment sounded. And my point stands. I'd love to know just how vetted this guy was.

Also find it ironic that people are bitching about the Stones' money, yet celebrating a guy that simply bought his way in.
Oh yes, those poor, put-upon rich people. We really do need to be more sensitive of their delicate little feelings, especially in America, land of the common man.

Date: May 29, 2015 16:17

dead.flowers

I am afraid it isn't. As per the Huffington Post the Deutsche Bank gig in Barcelona 2007 cost USD 5.4 mn.

Nikkei

Agree, at about half of what Deutsche Bank paid, it is almost a steal.

BTW, if it was USD 5.4 mn for the Deutsche Bank: Is that the highest fee the Stones ever raked in for a private gig?

Wasn't the DB show a full show?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 34

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1934
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home