Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 34
Re: San Diego Club Gig
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 28, 2015 00:17

kate2
Any news on tomorrow night in Rancho Santa Fe? The man paying tonight does give money to the Ronald McDonald Houses but you know, it is just to show off, to the new wife...It is sort of sad but I would still go. What a great hippie venue. John Mayall is playing there soon..

Now that it's clear what kind of event this is, I wouldn't wanna be there. Imagine the looks you get: "Who let all this riff-raff into the room?"

Posted by: kate2 ()
Date: May 28, 2015 00:18

Oh! The Belly Up still has the Full Size Stuffed Shark hanging over the bar! and the surfboards. How do I save that Instagram photo and get it on this site..saving full webpage click does not work...I see Karl Denson just played at the Belly Up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 00:28 by kate2.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 28, 2015 00:23

So are we talking TWO gigs now?

In any case things have developed quite a bit here over the past 5 hours, looks like onlystones is going to do it again, go get' em tiger!

Just got back from a screening of "Live at the Marquee" with several other IORRians as well as Tarlé....the boys probably didn't have that type of gig in mind at the time did they! Well things change of course and money is money and at the end of the day, however we spin it and romanticize the Stones it's just a job for them. Maybe it doesn't even make a difference to them whether they play to 65000 at Hyde Park (they showed SSS after the Marquee movie so it's fresh for me) or to 400 at a "birthday party"?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 00:31 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: roller99 ()

Naturalust
roller99
What do you play? Guitar, Drums or Bass?

Anything with strings roller. Not much good with a bow but I have been known to use a slide on a cello!

peace

How about a bow on a Les Paul?

Posted by: angee ()

kate 2, GAFF and others, thaanks for your info.

onlystones, wow, you have much determination and it seems to work for you, along with that large wallet.
Have a great, great time! Looking forward to your report.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 28, 2015 00:24

dcba
At 7M it's a "corporate event". At 2M it's a "corporate charity event"! >grinning smiley<

lmfao!

Anyway most big acts today (Metallica RHCP) play this type of private gigs so why the Stones shouldn't? Morals? Laws? Age?
Go boys go! thumbs up

Pride? Standards? Would the Queen approve of one of her knights for sale to the highest bidder?....wait, don't answer that question....

peace

Date: May 28, 2015 00:28

roller99
Naturalust
roller99

Anything with strings roller. Not much good with a bow but I have been known to use a slide on a cello!

peace

Naw, the necks on my Les Pauls are all pretty straight. winking smiley

peace

Date: May 28, 2015 00:29

gotdablouse
So are we talking TWO gigs now?

In any case things have developed quite a bit here over the past 5 hours, looks like onlystones is going to do it again, go get' em tiger!

Just got back from a screening of "Live at the Marquee" with several other IORRians as well as Tarlé....the boys probably didn't have that type of gig in mind at the time did they! Well things change of course and money is money and at the end of the day, however we spin it and romanticize the Stones it's just a job for them. Maybe it doesn't even make a difference to them whether they play to 65000 at Hyde Park (they showed SSS after the Marquee movie so it's fresh for me) or to 400 at "birthday party"?
I heard it was 2..tomorrow in Rancho Santa Fe home.

Posted by: forsure ()
Date: May 28, 2015 00:36

If mick loses his voice singing for this guy before saturday I'm hunting this guy down

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: May 28, 2015 00:36

I really hope "onlystones" makes it in!!!
He's got enough money, but was not invited by the one's who got enough money to organize this secret show.
SHOW THEM YOUR MONEY "onlystones"!!! GOOD LUCK from THE NETHERLANDS!!!smileys with beer
Hope to hear a report tommorow here on IORR.

Date: May 28, 2015 00:41

Naturalust
roller99
Naturalust
roller99

peace

Naw, the necks on my Les Pauls are all pretty straight. winking smiley

peace

Very cool man, only someone who knows what Page that is in the manual would say that winking smiley

I play a mean Theremin btw...

Date: May 28, 2015 00:45

SAN DIEGO (CBS 8) - Rumors are swirling that the Rolling Stones are still in San Diego, after rocking Petco Park on Sunday.

Multiple sources have confirmed that the Rolling Stones will be playing at the Belly Up Tavern Wednesday night. It is a private show and no tickets will be sold to the public.

Sources say Rancho Santa Fe resident Ralph Whitworth is paying at least $2 million for the concert. You may remember Whitworth, he's the same person who paid $1 million to have Paul McCartney play at his then wife's 50th birthday a few years ago.

The Rolling Stones played Petco Park Sunday night. Their tour continues Saturday night in Columbus, Ohio.

CBS News 8's Steve Price files the above video report from the Belly Up with the latest details.

rolling-stones-rumor-secret-show-wednesday-night

Posted by: PaintitBlue ()
Date: May 28, 2015 00:46

Onlystones....you are a breath of fresh air on this board. I have been following this board for many years (probably going back to licks anyway) and have been a periodic poster but always checkin religously to see what is going on...and probably moreso around tour time. You are the f'in MAN...you go brother and do your thing and enjoy the hell out of it. I only hope to get a beer or something with you sometime this tour. You WILL get into the show...have a BLAST!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 00:46 by PaintitBlue.

Date: May 28, 2015 00:50

If you think Mick and the boys are sellouts for doing this, McCartney did it first:

"In 2003, it was claimed the 'Hey Jude' hitmaker was paid $1 million for what was reported to be his first ever private concert, performing to 150 people in Sante Fe in honour of Wendy Walker Whitworth.

The 90-minute performance was a 50th birthday gift to Wendy from her husband, financier Ralph Whitworth, and all proceeds went to charity."

Must be nice to rent-a-band.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 28, 2015 00:52

They are not sellouts for doing this, they just reaffirm our assessment of them being sellouts again.

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: May 28, 2015 00:52

roller99
If you think Mick and the boys are sellouts for doing this, McCartney did it first:

"In 2003, it was claimed the 'Hey Jude' hitmaker was paid $1 million for what was reported to be his first ever private concert, performing to 150 people in Sante Fe in honour of Wendy Walker Whitworth.

The 90-minute performance was a 50th birthday gift to Wendy from her husband, financier Ralph Whitworth, and all proceeds went to charity."

Macca, Elton, Rod etc have been doing this for years.
It's a private hire gig, who cares?

Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: May 28, 2015 00:56

roller99
Naturalust
onlystones
SharksWillCry
Naturalust
Geez this is getting a bit sleazy. Stones for sale to any schmuck with enough money. I could add some tasty adjectives but I think you all know what they are. grinning smiley But I guess once you've crossed that boundary, it gets easier every time...eye popping smiley I can just imagine this guy throwing money at Mick to get him to sing I Got The Blues to his wife while peeling off his wardrobe...Ha!

peace

I don't have a problem at all with that, since I can assure you they would be playing at my back yard BBQ if I had the means and ability to persuade them to. Would you go if I invited you?

That's the spirit and I would go if you invited me and I would gladly bring the beer and anything else you asked me for.

Beer? It's hookers and blow or nothing, just like last time, man! grinning smiley

Yeah of course I'd go, might even try even if I wasn't invited, no doubt onlystones would. He'd have your wife introducing him as a long lost cousin! Ha!

And Mr DJA, I too have worked plenty of rich kid parties and corporate functions, a veritable music slut when I think about it, but that doesn't mean I expect the same from Mick and Keith. Well maybe Mick and Keith, surely Ronnie. But Charlie? Surely not Charlie! eye popping smiley

peace

The hookers and blow was Fonda '15. Its just like every show. Sex, Drugs and Rolling Stones, each time the same but different. I have until now done these types of excursions for Stones shows in relative quiet. Please if you want to hear about what I am doing and how this experience started and evolved, let me know. I will tell you my experience. No names. I am landing in about 1 1/2 hours (aprox 430pm local time). After that I don't know whats going to happen I am supposed to have safe transportation waiting. Then I will make sure this source is for real and go from there.

God Bless the Rolling Stones and ALL of their fans.

I have my fingers crossed.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 28, 2015 00:58

Local news producer Raha Sheik tweeted a photo of a motorhome (reported to be Keith's) at the Belly Up.

[twitter.com]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 28, 2015 01:00

Can't believe I was just at the Belly Up watching my first Stones cover band... Aaargh.

Good luck to any trying to get in..
Looks tougher than the Fonda, but you never know.

(gonna work on merging my memories of being twenty feet from the fake Stones at the Belly-Up on Saturday, and twenty feet from the real Stones at Petco on Sunday.)

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: May 28, 2015 01:01

roller99

No, Stones did the Pepsi show in '98 and the Bonderman show at the Hard Rock in '02.

[www.setlist.fm]

[www.setlist.fm]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 01:01 by mnewman505.

Date: May 28, 2015 01:03

smiling bouncing smiley
onlystones
roller99
Naturalust
onlystones
SharksWillCry
Naturalust
Geez this is getting a bit sleazy. Stones for sale to any schmuck with enough money. I could add some tasty adjectives but I think you all know what they are. grinning smiley But I guess once you've crossed that boundary, it gets easier every time...eye popping smiley I can just imagine this guy throwing money at Mick to get him to sing I Got The Blues to his wife while peeling off his wardrobe...Ha!

peace

I don't have a problem at all with that, since I can assure you they would be playing at my back yard BBQ if I had the means and ability to persuade them to. Would you go if I invited you?

That's the spirit and I would go if you invited me and I would gladly bring the beer and anything else you asked me for.

Beer? It's hookers and blow or nothing, just like last time, man! grinning smiley

Yeah of course I'd go, might even try even if I wasn't invited, no doubt onlystones would. He'd have your wife introducing him as a long lost cousin! Ha!

And Mr DJA, I too have worked plenty of rich kid parties and corporate functions, a veritable music slut when I think about it, but that doesn't mean I expect the same from Mick and Keith. Well maybe Mick and Keith, surely Ronnie. But Charlie? Surely not Charlie! eye popping smiley

peace

The hookers and blow was Fonda '15. Its just like every show. Sex, Drugs and Rolling Stones, each time the same but different. I have until now done these types of excursions for Stones shows in relative quiet. Please if you want to hear about what I am doing and how this experience started and evolved, let me know. I will tell you my experience. No names. I am landing in about 1 1/2 hours (aprox 430pm local time). After that I don't know whats going to happen I am supposed to have safe transportation waiting. Then I will make sure this source is for real and go from there.

God Bless the Rolling Stones and ALL of their fans.

I have my fingers crossed.
The private concert is confirmed, tonight at the Belly Up. Photos of trucks unloading are on cbs 8 san diego and this thread. Tomorrow at a private home in Rancho Santa Fe. Tonight probably a charity for Ronald McDonald House and to celebrate the new bride. Yes, I want to hear your adventures. Have fun tonight That must be the "bus" Keith posted about..great shot. so they are there checking it out with the stuffed shark over the bar!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-28 01:08 by kate2.

Posted by: jheying ()
Date: May 28, 2015 01:06

[www.cbs8.com]

It's happening. No way to get in without a ticket from the why who is making it happen. But no reason why you can't go and hang around.

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: May 28, 2015 01:10

I am interested in if they still play D&G at tonight birthday party.grinning smiley

Good luck to onlystones and maybe bv.

Date: May 28, 2015 01:11

jrcjohnny99

Macca, Elton, Rod etc have been doing this for years.
It's a private hire gig, who cares?

Well I'd say onlystones, swiss and about half a million others care actually. Mostly because they want to be there!

Whitworth, that names just drips money and privilege, no?

Do I care? Not really.

Would I rather see a show put on for the more common less privileged fans? Of course!

Do I love stories of true fans and IORR'ers getting into secret gigs? Absolutely.

Would I rather be reading how the Stones turned down this rich dude, no matter what he offered? Probably.

Would I love to read how the Stones donated the proceeds of this show to a local charity? Hell yeah!

Basically there is a comfort in knowing there are some things money can't buy and the obvious draw of the good story about the little guy winning the prize and the entitled guy not getting his way for once. But since none of that appears to be applicable here now, I just hope the show is great, it gets recorded and filmed and that at least one IORR person gets in to give a full report.

peace

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 28, 2015 01:11

a bigger nut
I am interested in if they still play D&G at tonight birthday party.grinning smiley

Good luck to onlystones and maybe bv.

it's $2 million with doom and gloom , but $2.5 million without. i have the price list.

Posted by: BostonLass ()
Date: May 28, 2015 01:14

When McCartney played for Ralph Whitworth's (then) wife's birthday in 2003, he did it only because Whitworth agreed to donate $1M to the non-profit organization Adopt-a-Minefield. McCartney had married Heather Mills just months before the gig. McCartney didn't play for his own profit, and Whitworth's guests paid nothing and donated nothing to charity.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 28, 2015 01:20

onlystones
swiss
Damn. Airfare to San Diego from SFO for tonight / returning tomorrow - surprisingly cheap. I could be down there by 7:30pm and still put in a full workday. onlystones might you have a +1?

Then again, tho going to this gig would be cool, what I really am seeking (in order to finally wrap and launch "The Night Before Altamont" radio documentary) is a 5- to 10-minute interview with Keith.

But going to this gig would be cool. I would dress the part, and be a great guest - no vomitting near the stage (can't believe people did that, CE!)

- swiss

Do it!! There is no way you can get in if you don't try. That is all that I am doing and I am almost positive I am getting in. I have been sworn to secrecy.

Thanks, onlystones smiling smiley I could still catch a plane to get me there on time, but --as said-- really my need is to get a 5- to 10-minute interview with Keith to complete "The Night Before Altamont" so I can get it aired/distributed. Seeing a small club show would be sweet and nice to have, but I don't need it...and it wouldn't get me closer to my actual goal.

So, unless someone said they could get me in as a +1 I'll not be hopping a flight. Who is the philanthropist/captain of industry sponsoring the event? Maybe i grew up or went to school with him - you never know!

- swiss

Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: May 28, 2015 01:28

Ralph Victor Whitworth (born 1955) [1] is a Founder of Relational Investors LLC, a private investment management firm based in San Diego, California, that primarily seeks out value stocks at companies it deems to be underperforming due to poor capital allocation discipline and corporate governance. Whitworth co-founded Relational with David Batchelder in 1996; the firm manages approximately $6 billion, and Whitworth is currently a Principal and member of the Investment Committee.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 28, 2015 01:29

GAFF
Ralph Victor Whitworth (born 1955) [1] is a Founder of Relational Investors LLC, a private investment management firm based in San Diego, California, that primarily seeks out value stocks at companies it deems to be underperforming due to poor capital allocation discipline and corporate governance. Whitworth co-founded Relational with David Batchelder in 1996; the firm manages approximately $6 billion, and Whitworth is currently a Principal and member of the Investment Committee.

Thanks - helpful! smiling smiley

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 28, 2015 01:30

Some rich people are cool.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 34

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1758
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home