Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Doom & Gloom
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 01:36

GasLightStreet
It's still a new song. It makes them RELEVANT!

Aside from Start Me Up it's the newest song post-1978! Come on! Y'all should be excited that the Stones are not strictly a nostalgia act!

The Rolling Stones are strictly a nostalgia act. Look at the audience. Look at the merchandise. Listen to the music. Don't fight it, embrace it and enjoy it for what it is.

Doom and Gloom is a mediocre song but if them playing it is the price of getting "moonlight mile", "before they make me run", "can't you hear me knocking", etc. i'm willing to pay it.

Posted by: taz22 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 01:55

I agree!

I'd rather have Back of My Hand or Rough Justice or Oh No Not You Again or Rain Fall Down in place of D & G if they need a song from the last 10 years.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 26, 2015 01:58

Turner68
GasLightStreet

Aside from Start Me Up it's the newest song post-1978! Come on! Y'all should be excited that the Stones are not strictly a nostalgia act!

The Rolling Stones are strictly a nostalgia act. Look at the audience. Look at the merchandise. Listen to the music. Don't fight it, embrace it and enjoy it for what it is.

Doom and Gloom is a mediocre song but if them playing it is the price of getting "moonlight mile", "before they make me run", "can't you hear me knocking", etc. i'm willing to pay it.

I was being just slightly sarcastic...

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 02:04

GasLightStreet
Turner68
GasLightStreet

I was being just slightly sarcastic...

sorry. still new here. i agree with your sentiment, as you can see ;-)

Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: May 26, 2015 02:05

taz22
I agree!

I'd rather have Back of My Hand or Rough Justice or Oh No Not You Again or Rain Fall Down in place of D & G if they need a song from the last 10 years.

Back Of My Hand is phenomenal - I feel lucky to have heard it a bunch of times during ABB.

Posted by: HotStuff92 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 02:13

71Tele
I understand you. I just disagree.

When inspiration leaves you, you rely on craft. The Stones have been relying on craft since 1990 at least. They are quite good at their craft, but seem completely devoid of inspiration...Frankly I think some people here are happy to cheer anything they release to the high heavens as long as it has an open-G guitar and a 4/4 beat.

I understand that; I've seen many people blindly accept anything they do, and many on the other end of the spectrum who criticize anything and everything they try and do. There are many songs that definitely deserve criticism, but I wouldn't say they're entirely devoid of inspiration. As far as D&G goes I think we'll have to agree to disagree. smileys with beer

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: May 26, 2015 02:13

Doom and Gloom is good....but is it really more recognizable than sway or you gotta move???? Play the sticky fingers stuff.....grrrregory is over!

Date: May 26, 2015 02:15

taz22
I agree!

I can't agree with any of those 'A Bigger Bang' tracks instead of "Doom and Gloom" but maybe I would be alright with "Laugh I Nearly Died" , "It Won't Take Long" , "Under the Radar" , or even "She Saw Me Coming" .

They already played some of the songs that you mentioned on 2 or 3 trips through the same cities on the "A Bigger Bang Tour'. Since they are already repeating warhorses,I don't think that they should start repeating "A Bigger Bang" tracks so soon. It just wouldn't make any sense to me.

I know that "Doom and Gloom" was played in the U.S. during 2013 plus 2 or 3 shows in 2012 but,this year they are playing different areas of the country than in 2013. As an example,Atlanta has already had "Oh No,Not You Again" and "Rough Justice" but not "Doom and Gloom" yet .... other than those who made the trip to somewhere like Washington D.C. in 2013.

Date: May 26, 2015 02:23

Nobody is going to hear Doom And Gloom and think "that song is good....I have to go buy an album with songs I already have on other greatest hits packages." I don't put any stock in the argument they have to play a newer song since most of the set is the same stuff they've been playing forever. The catalog is vast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 02:24 by JTHanis.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 26, 2015 04:16

JTHanis
Nobody is going to hear Doom And Gloom and think "that song is good....I have to go buy an album with songs I already have on other greatest hits packages." I don't put any stock in the argument they have to play a newer song since most of the set is the same stuff they've been playing forever. The catalog is vast.

Dang!

I didn't know I didn't like it therefore erroneously DID buy the greatest hits album.

I must have been in some sort of a worm hole or time warp or something.

Thanks for straightening that out for me....others might have been similarly afflicted so it's good to spread the word..

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 04:48

No need to do Doom and Gloom. I would much rather hear No Spare Parts! Damn they should have played that! And still could!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 26, 2015 09:36

Doom & Gloom and YGMR are bathroom-break songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 09:36 by swiss.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 26, 2015 11:24

I think both "Doom & Gloom" and "You Got Me Rocking" work great live, and to have them in their setlists is a small proof that they still occasionally have come up with something good, after Tattoo You. So, yeah, I want both in the setlist. Drop "Miss You" and "Start Me Up", and even "Gimme Shelter" which don't really work live.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 26, 2015 11:37

SD version now available:

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 26, 2015 11:51

JTHanis

Why do you say that?

The song has a drive, a groove and a vibe that makes it a crowd pleaser on its own terms.

The only thing I don't like with it live is that Mick is saving his voice in the choruses, "cheating" a bit on the timing.

But it rocks.

Date: May 26, 2015 11:52

swiss
Doom & Gloom and YGMR are bathroom-break songs.

I don't rock and jump around in the bathroom winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 12:39 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: May 26, 2015 12:39

I think it's good that D&G is in the setlist - and would in fact like two or three more latterday-tracks in the list. It won't take long, Rain fall down, Saint of me, Too tight or something like that

Date: May 26, 2015 13:22

DandelionPowderman
JTHanis

Why do you say that?

The song has a drive, a groove and a vibe that makes it a crowd pleaser on its own terms.

The only thing I don't like with it live is that Mick is saving his voice in the choruses, "cheating" a bit on the timing.

But it rocks.

By emphasizing only part of my comment you're committing a textbook example of taking something out of context. The playing of this song will in no way drive sales of another greatest hits package at this stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 13:24 by JTHanis.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 26, 2015 14:02

YGM sure was a highlight in Berlin last year.

Mathijs

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 26, 2015 14:08

Perhaps they are playing D&G because they want to. It's a stretch, I know, but try to wrap your head around the idea.

Date: May 26, 2015 14:21

JTHanis
DandelionPowderman
JTHanis

Why do you say that?

But it rocks.

By emphasizing only part of my comment you're committing a textbook example of taking something out of context. The playing of this song will in no way drive sales of another greatest hits package at this stage.

I'm sorry. I should have read through your post more thoroughly.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 26, 2015 14:35

A rock concert needs straight rockers to get the crowd going. In Paris I noticed how
You Got Me Rocking made the complete Stade de France jump an shout. It was played well too!
Doom and Gloom is also a song to pump up the tempo with a notch or two.

Of course they have enough alternatives in their catalogue to make a dead crowd come,
starting with I wanna be you man, running all the way to Oh no not you again, but why
not play the most recent of those? All this song has to do is give energy to the masses/

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 26, 2015 14:38

But still... T-shirt looks nice winking smiley

The song... Well, it is a rocker, although I like Flip The Switch better

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 26, 2015 15:27

DandelionPowderman
JTHanis
DandelionPowderman
JTHanis

Why do you say that?

But it rocks.

why apologize?...the sentiment was still the same, and the quote wasn't taken out of context...the entire text is still there, just that part of it is bolded, big deal.

Date: May 26, 2015 17:22

Drop Doom and Gloom and Miss You! Please

Ruby Tuesday always works well for Stadiums

Play a rocker like Let it Rock or Rip this Joint

Come on Mick. My lips don't move but you can hear me speak PLEASE!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 17:23 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 17:27

I'd take it over YGMR any day of the week! When it came out people who know me and know I'm a Stones fanatic were coming up to me and saying they thought it was a real belter !

Date: May 26, 2015 17:28

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
JTHanis
DandelionPowderman
JTHanis

Why do you say that?

But it rocks.

why apologize?...the sentiment was still the same, and the quote wasn't taken out of context...the entire text is still there, just that part of it is bolded, big deal.

I brought the nice hat today...

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 26, 2015 17:34

grzegorz67
I'd take it over YGMR any day of the week! When it came out people who know me and know I'm a Stones fanatic were coming up to me and saying they thought it was a real belter !

Same experience. The song circulated way beyond their fanbase. My circle of Metalheads (usually Iron Maiden and the like) put it on at parties
and some people told me "that new song is the sh*t" as if I had something to do with it.

Date: May 26, 2015 17:37

Nikkei
grzegorz67

Same experience. The song circulated way beyond their fanbase. My circle of Metalheads (usually Iron Maiden and the like) put it on at parties
and some people told me "that new song is the sh*t" as if I had something to do with it.

Same here! And they did the same with One Hit (To The Body) back in the 80s grinning smiley

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 26, 2015 17:47

It's actually a pretty good song but the arrangement sucks imho. The studio version is okay except the drums with that boring groove which is the same over the whole song without any fill in. And in the version of the music video they replaced Charlie by a drum machine.
When they play it live Charlie grooves much better and builds in some tasty fill ins but Mick's singing is never so energetic as it is on the studio version. Worst thing is that he shortens the length of the end notes of the chorus phrases. I don't know why. He should have enough breath to do it right.
In 2013 when Lisa also did backing vocals it had more excitement, now it's just Bernard and Mick

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1596
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home