Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Doom & Gloom
Posted by: lougio ()
Date: May 25, 2015 20:59

I can't believe this song is back in the set list. Is there really anyone out there that wants to hear it. Just think of all the great songs the Stones have that could replace Doom and Gloom. Since the band has decided to play a warhorses set list once again why does D&G keep getting played? Come on guys how about Sweet Virginia, or Shine a Light, or a cover like Can't Turn You Loose, or the best cover of all Bye Bye Johnnie. Anything but Gloom and Doom!

Re: Doom & Gloom
Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: May 25, 2015 21:02

I prefer to hear D&G rather than YGMR.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: May 25, 2015 21:05

I've seen it played 12 times so far. Do I wish they would replace it with a deep cut? Hell yeah, but it still sounds fresh and gets me moving.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 25, 2015 21:06

I thought I could rave about the D&G music video here. Turns out it's another setlist complaint. No need to scatter them all over the place. There's a thread for complaints that makes it so much easier for you.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 25, 2015 21:08

Same thing was looking forward to seeing a video of last night as that's one of the rare ones missing at this point...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: May 25, 2015 21:10

ohotos

Yeah, if given the choice, I would take it too. YGMR sucks but Mick loves it which means we're supposed to as well.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 25, 2015 21:15

I must admit I thought they would have dropped this one. Perhaps Mick just wants to remind us that their recording career didn't necessarily end 10 years ago with A Bigger Bang. Why else would he insist on a song that is guaranteed to be met with only lukewarm applause (as it was at the Boston show I attended in 2013)?

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: May 25, 2015 21:16

I like it, and I'm for them including that song or just about any other non-warhorse. God knows that we get the same old thing most of the time, so it's nice when they include something different.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 25, 2015 21:17

ohotos

oh absolutely....YGMR is mindnumbing.

Date: May 25, 2015 21:21

JTHanis
ohotos

Yeah, if given the choice, I would take it too. YGMR sucks but Mick loves it which means we're supposed to as well.

maybe the lyrics just need updating to reflect the new times...

"I was a blogger, typing my post, I was on instragram uploading phot's!...I SAID HEY HEY, you got me blogging now, HEY HEY, you got me blogging now".

Date: May 25, 2015 22:02

I like it.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 25, 2015 23:34

Doom & Gloom: An excellent "rocker", that really works well live. We usually see some moaning around about the absence of newer Stones songs from the lists. And now the "problem" is that they are playing D&G ??!!

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 25, 2015 23:41

I WANT TO HEAR "DOOM AND GLOOM" (the song) PLAYED LIVE AT MY SHOWS!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 25, 2015 23:44

Great tune love to see it live...............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 00:18 by NICOS.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: May 25, 2015 23:59

It was dropped at Brisbane, (last time I saw them), in favour of Paint It Black and I'd take D&G over that any time. It's not a song I listen to day to day but it's very good live.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 26, 2015 00:00

I love the tune. I'd rather see them drop Sympathy, Satisfaction and Tumbling Dice.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 00:03

lougio
I can't believe this song is back in the set list. Is there really anyone out there that wants to hear it. Just think of all the great songs the Stones have that could replace Doom and Gloom. Since the band has decided to play a warhorses set list once again why does D&G keep getting played? Come on guys how about Sweet Virginia, or Shine a Light, or a cover like Can't Turn You Loose, or the best cover of all Bye Bye Johnnie. Anything but Gloom and Doom!
Love it

Date: May 26, 2015 00:06

DandelionPowderman
I like it.

Well...it is only rock'n'roll.

Posted by: HotStuff92 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 00:14

Can someone explain what people don't like about this song - or YGMR, for that matter? Not their best songs, but still great tunes. I think some people are just biased against anything post-Tattoo You. I feel if they were recorded decades ago and put on Let It Bleed or Sticky Fingers they would be undisputed classics.

Posted by: piper ()
Date: May 26, 2015 00:17

You probably didn't like Dont Stop, saint of me, I go wild either. I don't want to go to a show and hear them cover tunes from the 1950 or 60s just because it's rare or cool to about .5% of the people in the crowd. Doom and Gloom rocks, and guess what.. It is a new song. I guess they should only play songs from 68-73 and covers. Get a life...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 26, 2015 00:20

HotStuff92
Can someone explain what people don't like about this song - or YGMR, for that matter? Not their best songs, but still great tunes. I think some people are just biased against anything post-Tattoo You. I feel if they were recorded decades ago and put on Let It Bleed or Sticky Fingers they would be undisputed classics.

OK, sure. G&D sounds like the Mick Jagger demo it was. The drums don't even sound like Charlie, but like a drum machine. The lyrics are mediocre. YGMR is a boring rock song. Formulaic and unoriginal. Whether you want to believe it or not, there are such things as qualitative differences between Stones songs and eras. Your last sentence is ridiculous. If it were true, people would be clamoring to hear all the post-Tattoo You "hits" and the show wouldn't be 90% reliant on material recorded earlier.

That specific enough for you?

Posted by: eyesoftheworld ()
Date: May 26, 2015 00:54

I really like Doom and Gloom and enjoyed it very much last night.

It's a good song with dark, meaningful (?) lyrics.

Date: May 26, 2015 01:02

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
I like it.

Well...it is only rock'n'roll.

Guess it just reflects my mood...

Posted by: HotStuff92 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 01:05

71Tele
HotStuff92

OK, sure. G&D sounds like the Mick Jagger demo it was. The drums don't even sound like Charlie, but like a drum machine. The lyrics are mediocre. YGMR is a boring rock song. Formulaic and unoriginal. Whether you want to believe it or not, there are such things as qualitative differences between Stones songs and eras. Your last sentence is ridiculous. If it were true, people would be clamoring to hear all the post-Tattoo You "hits" and the show wouldn't be 90% reliant on material recorded earlier.

What I mean in my last sentence is, a lot of people don't seem to give the post-Tattoo You material much of a chance. People write off that material because Mick Taylor was no longer in the group, or isn't quite on par with their late 60s/early 70s material. I'm aware there is a difference in quality between the different eras of the band, but I won't write off everything they've done in the last 30 years as trash like some do. I think albums like Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon are good in their own right, even if they slightly pale in comparison to some of their older material.

I also feel a lot of the issues you point out with these songs (mediocre lyrics, being formulaic, etc.) can also apply to many songs they've done even in their prime. Were Star Star or Start Me Up really groundbreaking or revolutionary by the time they came out? No, but great songs nonetheless.

I just feel many people don't even know what they want from the Stones; people complain when they just play the hits, and when they throw something else in the setlist they'll still complain because it wasn't some obscure song from Between the Buttons or an old blues cover or something else.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 26, 2015 01:07

eyesoftheworld

Don't overthink the meaning of the lyrics though.

Date: May 26, 2015 01:10

JTHanis
ohotos

Yes. I agree. "Doom and Gloom" is a much better choice than "You Got Me Rocking".

Especially at this point,considering how many times "You Got Me Rocking" has already been performed.

I will also take "Doom and Gloom" over a cover like "I Can't Turn You Loose" .... which they already did on the 2002 / 2003 tour.

"Shine a Light" would be nice more often but,they rarely play more than 1 ballad-like slower tempo song per concert anymore. "Moonlight Mile" and "I Got the Blues" will probably fill that slot this year.

Date: May 26, 2015 01:14

Nikkei
eyesoftheworld

Don't overthink the meaning of the lyrics though.

I don't overthink anything winking smiley
haha

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 26, 2015 01:20

It's still a new song. It makes them RELEVANT!

Aside from Start Me Up it's the newest song post-1978! Come on! Y'all should be excited that the Stones are not strictly a nostalgia act!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 26, 2015 01:34

HotStuff92
71Tele
HotStuff92

What I mean in my last sentence is, a lot of people don't seem to give the post-Tattoo You material much of a chance. People write off that material because Mick Taylor was no longer in the group, or isn't quite on par with their late 60s/early 70s material. I'm aware there is a difference in quality between the different eras of the band, but I won't write off everything they've done in the last 30 years as trash like some do. I think albums like Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon are good in their own right, even if they slightly pale in comparison to some of their older material.

I also feel a lot of the issues you point out with these songs (mediocre lyrics, being formulaic, etc.) can also apply to many songs they've done even in their prime. Were Star Star or Start Me Up really groundbreaking or revolutionary by the time they came out? No, but great songs nonetheless.

I just feel many people don't even know what they want from the Stones; people complain when they just play the hits, and when they throw something else in the setlist they'll still complain because it wasn't some obscure song from Between the Buttons or an old blues cover or something else.

I understand you. I just disagree.

When inspiration leaves you, you rely on craft. The Stones have been relying on craft since 1990 at least. They are quite good at their craft, but seem completely devoid of inspiration...Frankly I think some people here are happy to cheer anything they release to the high heavens as long as it has an open-G guitar and a 4/4 beat.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 01:39 by 71Tele.

Date: May 26, 2015 01:36

I really like this version, too.

I don't think it's probably everyones cup of tea, but I'm a big fan of Benny and this type of dance music is so much fun live.
It's different and very relevant because edm (electric dance music) is so popular in America and around the world right now that it makes the band more relevant.

I know the Rolling Stones are known everywhere, they probably are as famous as it gets, but some of my friends only listen to hiphop, rap, new pop and edm stuff.
So, this gives them a better chance to hear the Stones and be introduced to their catalogue.

It's really cool Benny did this and I know years ago now that Moby did I'm Free....

I actually became exposed to Moby through the Stones and now I'm a huge fan.
He is so very talented.
His album "Play" is in my top favorites ever, every tune on there is a banger and if you've never heard it all the way through, you probably should...

Moby, Play wiki, worth checking out, it was a big deal at the time and I think it exposed people who were not interested in the genre to new and interesting music. It may have been the first time millions of people heard electric dance music, so the album is important in my opinion to music history.

The whole album just bangs.

Getting back on topic, "Doom and Gloom" is a very nice tune, at least to my ears.
The writing is really good. I enjoy hearing it in the sets.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1583
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home