Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2930313233343536373839...LastNext
Current Page: 34 of 40
Re: San Diego CA USA 24-May-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 27, 2015 07:29

The Sicilian

This song needs about 25 more rehearsal sessions. The chorus was awful and Mick sounds terrible singing it. He is singing it like a lounge act. The song is meant to be sang with a alternative or grunge edge, not like a lullaby. I know Mick thinks he is infallible but he tanked this one big time.

FWIW, Darryl Jones is a totally irrelevant musician for this band. It is as though they turn him down so low he has become barely noticeable in the mix.

Funny, I thought the opposite with Darryl. At the Fonda they had him turned up way too much. With Bill, you could really hear it, he was such an underrated bassist. That's not to say Darryl can't bring it, I think it's just that he's meant to be "blended in" and not showcased.

As far as the sound quality goes, I recorded it with a cellphone. It sounds totally different in person. And even in person, I moved around and the sound was great in some areas and not so great in other areas. Nobody has perfected the technology of projecting sound so everyone hears the same thing unfortunately.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: May 27, 2015 07:36

This negativity is sickening. I can't understand it. I, for one, am adding an additional show to my plans besides SD and Pittsburgh. Did I miss Bobby? Yes but Karl is excellent. He's not Bobby but what are we going to do about it? Would I rather MT had been there? Absolutely yes but I was very impressed with Ronnie and I'm usually not. I thought it was a fabulous show. We had an absolute blast. It is a gift to be able to see them. Accept it with joy!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 27, 2015 07:48

The Sicilian

This song needs about 25 more rehearsal sessions. The chorus was awful and Mick sounds terrible singing it. He is singing it like a lounge act. The song is meant to be sang with a alternative or grunge edge, not like a lullaby. I know Mick thinks he is infallible but he tanked this one big time.

FWIW, Darryl Jones is a totally irrelevant musician for this band. It is as though they turn him down so low he has become barely noticeable in the mix.

Critiquing and analyzing a song based on one of the worst audio recordings ever recorded?
I think we've hit rock bottom as far as objectivity goes. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 27, 2015 07:55

KevinP1980
The San Diego Sunset poster and shirt are up on website for sale.

Thanks Kevin. I just grabbed a poster!

Date: May 27, 2015 08:00

steffialicia
This negativity is sickening. I can't understand it. I, for one, am adding an additional show to my plans besides SD and Pittsburgh. Did I miss Bobby? Yes but Karl is excellent. He's not Bobby but what are we going to do about it? Would I rather MT had been there? Absolutely yes but I was very impressed with Ronnie and I'm usually not. I thought it was a fabulous show. We had an absolute blast. It is a gift to be able to see them. Accept it with joy!

Amen! Imagine how these musicians would feel if they read all the negative posts. It would hurt. Just enjoy.

Date: May 27, 2015 08:04

Hairball
The Sicilian

Critiquing and analyzing a song based on one of the worst audio recordings ever recorded?

The worst? No, this is second worst. The worst is the one I did in 2013 at Staples winking smiley

But yeah, listening to a cellphone recording on YouTube and critiquing is like seeing a McDonald's print ad and thinking the burger really looks like that. It's just silly man.

"I mean, who's fighting, and what for"?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 27, 2015 08:11

roller99
listening to a cellphone recording on YouTube and critiquing is like seeing a McDonald's print ad and thinking the burger really looks like that. It's just silly man.

Yes - I was also thinking it's like looking at a crappy blurry miniature black and white reproduction of a Rembrandt masterpiece
and saying "man what lousy brushwork, that loser couldn't paint if his life depended on it".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-27 08:12 by Hairball.

Posted by: stonesfan7676 ()
Date: May 27, 2015 08:29

roller99
steffialicia

Amen! Imagine how these musicians would feel if they read all the negative posts. It would hurt. Just enjoy.

Yes exactly, just enjoy! Everybody has favorite songs, least favorite songs, favorite and least favorite versions of songs, preferences in past and present musicians, guest performers, set lists, venues, etc. We all have our druthers. I say, appreciate that we still get to see them, and that they're still fantastic!

Posted by: wellalright ()
Date: May 27, 2015 08:52

imagine if the internet had existed in '69.... "why didn't they bring brian back before he died? same boring set list! ian stewart ruins everything!

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: May 27, 2015 09:00

Some of my pics

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 27, 2015 09:02

Brilliant photos, Neil!

Date: May 27, 2015 09:20

Date: May 27, 2015 09:20

video: [www.youtube.com]

Slipping Away

Date: May 27, 2015 09:21

Doom & Gloom (Complete)

Date: May 27, 2015 09:25

Midnight Rambler (14 Min. 50 Sec.)

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: May 27, 2015 10:28

roller99
Hairball
The Sicilian

The worst? No, this is second worst. The worst is the one I did in 2013 at Staples winking smiley

But yeah, listening to a cellphone recording on YouTube and critiquing is like seeing a McDonald's print ad and thinking the burger really looks like that. It's just silly man.

"I mean, who's fighting, and what for"?

Right. So right. :-)

@ Sicilian: Did you see them recently (since 2012) live? And if yes: What was the best gig you saw? And why was it the best gig?

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 27, 2015 10:35

Love this video.

Hope you don't mind me posting it like this StonesHood. smileys with beer

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 27, 2015 10:51

Very nice video indeed, it's got this "classic" feel, like the Fonda video.

#latvianinexile - Great pics !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 27, 2015 10:52

All the best videos from San Diego

By stonesmuziekfan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-27 10:53 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 27, 2015 11:00

roller99
Redhotcarpet
You guys seriously enjoy that performance? It's the same version theyve done since 1989. And some showman shite with Lisa pretending to kiss Keith. Geez.

Go find a board with a band YOU like. This place is for Stones fans.
well i am a fan so.. I still say Shelter hasnt sounded good since 1975 and i hope they change it, come up with some new version of it. Maybe just keith charlie and mick with keith on a open e tuned rawsounding distorted acoustic.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 27, 2015 11:10

Redhotcarpet
roller99
Redhotcarpet
You guys seriously enjoy that performance? It's the same version theyve done since 1989. And some showman shite with Lisa pretending to kiss Keith. Geez.

Go find a board with a band YOU like. This place is for Stones fans.
well i am a fan so.. I still say Shelter hasnt sounded good since 1975 and i hope they change it, come up with some new version of it. Maybe just keith charlie and mick with keith on a open e tuned rawsounding distorted acoustic.

if you haven't seen GS live before, or in a while, it's great to see. once you've seen it, it gets old fast, because it's a fairly uninspired version. but still, it's a great song, if you haven't seen it live in years or decades, it's amazing to see.

Date: May 27, 2015 11:11

roller99
alimente
roller99
Redhotcarpet
roller99
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
Ronnie cant play Taylors solo. He fumbles. He has no idea where to go with the solo. He has to practice more and come up with something of his own I think. Or they could just let Taylor play with them again on these numbers.

He didn't try, either. I like his approach: theme, wailing, riff, theme, wailing, riff. It worked lovely after Denson's solo. And it didn't drag out for too long.

Actually, there is a structure there, if you listen and don't expect note for note from the studio version or a stretched out Taylor-approach.

No theres no structure in his solo except for the parts he tries to copy from Taylors original solo. C'mon dont tell me you cant hear that. Ad lib is something else.

OMG, again with this crap about MT. If Ronnie wanted to, he could duplicate the MT solo note for note. Any accomplished guitarist with the right rig can do it. Even an ameteur can do that solo. Do you honestly think that Ronnie wants to replicate what the guitarist he replaced did, or that he wants to make it his own. What would you do if you were him? Copy your predecessor, or change it up a bit?

Dont ask me, ask Ronnie. He is in the band and he tried to play it.

Maybe I will, seeing as I was up front at the Fonda and in row 1 at Petco. Where were you again? Lol

I was at the Fonda, too, but unlike you, it did not go to my head. You obviously feel kinda knightened. Jeeeeeez, what a childish behaviour!

Actually, I don't if you've read my posts. Redhotcarpet is just bashing Ron Wood. These people read this stuff, and his comments are rude and preposterous. So he deserved the comment and it was meant for him only.
im bashing? You re bashing me and other fans who criticize and/or analyze a huge multimillion 53 year old act that is bigger than life. I think Ronnie is good with the fills, rhythm etc. He cant play solos on songs like knockin.

Date: May 27, 2015 11:31

roller99
Redhotcarpet
roller99
Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet
Ronnie cant play Taylors solo. He fumbles. He has no idea where to go with the solo. He has to practice more and come up with something of his own I think. Or they could just let Taylor play with them again on these numbers.

He didn't try, either. I like his approach: theme, wailing, riff, theme, wailing, riff. It worked lovely after Denson's solo. And it didn't drag out for too long.

Actually, there is a structure there, if you listen and don't expect note for note from the studio version or a stretched out Taylor-approach.

No theres no structure in his solo except for the parts he tries to copy from Taylors original solo. C'mon dont tell me you cant hear that. Ad lib is something else.

OMG, again with this crap about MT. If Ronnie wanted to, he could duplicate the MT solo note for note. Any accomplished guitarist with the right rig can do it. Even an ameteur can do that solo. Do you honestly think that Ronnie wants to replicate what the guitarist he replaced did, or that he wants to make it his own. What would you do if you were him? Copy your predecessor, or change it up a bit?

Maybe I will, seeing as I was up front at the Fonda and in row 1 at Petco. Where were you again? Lol
i cant remember, possibly outside painting the ceiling at my grandfathers. Removing old colour is the hard part.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 27, 2015 11:33

Am I the only one who thinks that most videos from Europe had much better quality?
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 27, 2015 11:46

Every gig will come up with some rubbish videos and some excellent ones.

For me, the ones from prestoff2000 of San Diego gig have been very good.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 27, 2015 11:47

kate2
I wonder if Mick wrote his lines about Petco catering. I had no idea what he was talking about until I read it online later,
serving them 3 different flavors of dog food, 'in a tin.' that was great...

I was charmed by that too - but he said Ronnie favoured the Tortoise Formula (not dog food)
As for the hands on ears gesture, in the video it looks like he was just being Brechtian.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: May 27, 2015 13:18

Redhotcarpet

I don't think so.
I think, YOU believe that Ronnie tried to play it.
Like, you know what Ronnie thinks or wants.

Impressive, to say the least.

C'mon, pal, cool it.

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: May 27, 2015 13:24

Nikkei

This is BV on the left, right?

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 27, 2015 13:30

steffialicia

What negativity? The posts here are 99% positive. Anyone makes a critical comment and it gets 10 responses. It's sickening that anyone who is a Stones fan enough to follow this board and post ever has a critical comment? Why does that bother you when it is obvious that 99% of the people, and comments, are in line with your views?

Date: May 27, 2015 13:38

Sometimes critical comments are fair, sometimes they're not.

I think this is what people see. Some posters seem to have made up their minds. It doesn't matter how good the Stones play. It's just not good enough for them.

AND it takes down the fans's awesome experiences to hear that what they love is crap.

Should they tolerate it? Absolutely. Should they be allowed to say that the whiners are unnecessarily critical? Definitely.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2930313233343536373839...LastNext
Current Page: 34 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1568
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home