Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 40
Re: San Diego CA USA 24-May-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 25, 2015 21:15

USA Today: "Mesmerized, vigorous, rousing, jaw-dropping, dazzling, blazing..." official reviewers are in short supply of fresh adjectives! >grinning smiley<

Date: May 25, 2015 21:26

Naturalust
It was an AWESOME Stones show. Whoo Hoo!

My biggest memory is how friggin' great Mick Jagger is. He was pumped the whole show and sang really well. I was for once not as keyed on the guitars and drawn to Micks singing and performance. The man is amazing. Even Keith was singing great,imo, Before they make me run was great and I don't even like the song! No out of breath barking, cut off notes or off key singing last night, Mick was well prepared and his singing was better than I expected by a long shot.

It was LOUD. Keith's guitar was up front and cutting the whole night. His playing was really good, supported as ever by Ronnie who was alternatively balanced in the mix and out front for certain leads and fills. I can only imagine that the FOH mixer was busy riding the faders to achieve the mix I heard last night.

They weren't tight as could probably be expected. It wasn't like this Vegas Stones people talk about where all the pieces are in their places and predictable and the support musicians are carrying a big load. It was loose, loud, fun, and totally rocking. The songs often felt like they were about to fall on their faces but they roared on with that quality that is pure Stones and the effect was devastating. It was Rock and Roll deluxe, the opposite of what you get at an Eagles or Steely Dan show. smoking smiley. Not sure many of the songs will translate well to perfect recordings, it was far from perfect but that actually made it more accessible, intimate and enjoyable in a a strange way.

Keith and Mick looked like they were having a blast the whole night and it was catchy, you couldn't help but enjoy yourself looking at them. They looked great, healthy and happy. I was thinking this was likely their last tour before the show but judging by what I saw last night, these guys have plenty more to offer. South America and Europe get ready because the Stones are far from calling it quits.

I actually got the feeling they have been listening to us here on IORR! So many critiques that have been expressed here seemed to be totally killed last night. From the tempo on Moonlight Mile, Micks singing, Keith's contributions, Ronnie's soloing, even Chuck's playing all seemed to come together and I couldn't have been happier, smiling to myself about all those complaints I've heard here that were washed away in a single stroke. Would MT have added to the music? Probably so. Was he required to pull off an excellent show? No he wasn't

The set list...yeah I would have loved to hear more SF tunes, I actually think they could have pulled them off to great effect, even with that stadium crowd. people LOVED Moonlight Mile and I can only hope Jagger picked up on it and allows more slow numbers into the set on the rest of the tour. I thought I might be more disappointed with the other warhorses, but they actually sounded fresh, something seemed different about them, not sure if it was the mix or the playing, but I was hearing things that weren't worn out and I was delighted by most of them. I think Bitch would have been better without Gary Clark, Jr. but I was glad they played it. If they would have dropped Miss You and Start Me up and inserted Sway, Dead Flowers and any number of other surprises it would have been perfect. As it was, it was a great rock show and I am quite amazed and grateful to have witnessed it.

This is going to be a great tour, hope everyone gets as good of one as San Diego got last night.

peace

thumbs up

Thanks for a great review, T! From the ten songs or so I heard from the stream, that was my experience as well. Nothing's like being there, though.

Posted by: roller99 ()

wellalright
looking down at the floor, it seemed sort of chaotic--impossibly long lines for merch, booze and bathrooms. you'd think for the money being spent,they might give you a bit more down there.

Being on the floor SUCKED! It felt like being at Altamont. Seriously. I hope Elite never gets to run an event there again.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()

From USA TODAY >>> "Jagger showed his comic side, pronouncing San Diegans so many ways, including the correct one, that it would have made Ron Burgundy proud."

Ron Burgundy himself pronouncing "San Diegans" >>> [youtu.be]

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: May 25, 2015 21:27

Here's a link to the USA Today review: [www.usatoday.com]

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 25, 2015 21:31

roller99
wellalright
looking down at the floor, it seemed sort of chaotic--impossibly long lines for merch, booze and bathrooms. you'd think for the money being spent,they might give you a bit more down there.

Being on the floor SUCKED! It felt like being at Altamont. Seriously. I hope Elite never gets to run an event there again.

And all those toilets 'in' the main arena - it must have stunk down the front there.......

Date: May 25, 2015 21:33

Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Can't You Hear Me Knocking

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: May 25, 2015 21:33

Nice to see All Down The Line, Gloom And Doom, Bitch, Moonlight Mile and Can't You Hear Me Knocking in there. Plus, Slipping Away and Before They Make Me Run are the two Keith songs I'd pick for him to do on this tour if it was up to me, so I'm pleased with those choices.

Date: May 25, 2015 21:34

EddieByword
roller99
wellalright

And all those toilets 'in' the main arena - it must have stunk down the front there.......

You couldn't smell the urine for the pot smoke.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 25, 2015 21:35

Nikkei
Did they say/do anything to pay tribute to Bobby? Was he shown on the screen or something like that?

I don't recall any specific Bobby tribute other than the sax solo in BS was done almost note for note. We were thankfully close enough to be keying on the band and not the screens so I couldn't tell you if the vids showed him.

josepi
Naturalust
The songs often felt like they were about to fall on their faces but they roared on with that quality that is pure Stones and the effect was devastating.
peace

It has always been my opinion that this is exactly why the Stones are so great when they're "on". It's not a "well-rehearsed" "on", but a genuine tuned-in-got-the-feel "on" that is far superior than the "tuned-in on" of any other band. no other band can touch it. Of course, we've all seen it turn into a train wreck, too.

Yeah that's it josepi. You get it too. I don't recall any train wrecks but the wheels on one side did lift off the tracks a couple times...only to slam back down with force. For instance it seemed Keith was off somehow on the Brown Sugar intro but the mixer immediately turn him dowm or something because I suddenly couldn't hear him as well, then as if to make up for it, they built the tune into a powerhouse and it ended with everyone well satisfied.

peace

Date: May 25, 2015 21:36

S.T.P
crawdaddy
Street Fighting Man from presstoff2000.

Think he's got more to come.

That is the best version of Street Fighting Man I've heard since MT left.

Up there with the Stripped version thumbs up

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 25, 2015 21:36

roller99
EddieByword
roller99
wellalright

Funny........>grinning smiley<

Posted by: wellalright ()
Date: May 25, 2015 21:38

EddieByword
roller99
EddieByword
roller99
wellalright

"felt like being at altamont" - hahaha. Maybe they'll theme a tour like that. The VIP Altamont experience.

Date: May 25, 2015 21:45

wellalright
EddieByword
roller99
EddieByword
roller99
wellalright

"felt like being at altamont" - hahaha. Maybe they'll theme a tour like that. The VIP Altamont experience.

The crowd almost turned it into Altamont. We wanted to attack security, seriously. They had to call the cops down so they could stand there with their guns as a show of force. I shot video of the security harassing us.

Date: May 25, 2015 21:46

Date: May 25, 2015 21:57

DandelionPowderman

thumbs up

Thanks for a great review, T! From the ten songs or so I heard from the stream, that was my experience as well. Nothing's like being there, though.

More than welcome. Wish you could have been there dandie, you too would have picked up on the totally rollicking rocking vibe of the show! They weren't just going through the motions, nobody phoned it in, they were having a great time. Keith and Mick in particular. Loads of smiles from band and support musicians. Keith's right hand was busier than I've seen in a long time, he was playing his heart out...so good to see. It's pretty clear the whole band keys on Mick and Keith and they had lots to key on last night.

What was also great and you would have appreciated were the guitar tones. Overdriven perfectly, none of the thin, too clean for rock and roll stuff I've heard in the past. I was picking up a lot of sound directly from the stage and it was loud guitar heaven. Tube amps used they way they were meant to be. Sweet stuff and somehow much different from the last tour, I'm guessing they just had the amps turned up to a better sounding level.

peace

Date: May 25, 2015 22:12

Posted by: wellalright ()
Date: May 25, 2015 22:14

I think if Mick cut down the "THANK YOU VAY MACH!"s he'd seem more real. Otherwise stellar night.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 25, 2015 22:17

roller99
Street Fighting Man

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 25, 2015 22:17

roller99
Opening Video

It bears resemblances of the ABB opening and also of Schillids work.
Maybe a tiny bit over the top but I said that last year as well.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: May 25, 2015 22:18

I was surprised that Bobby Keys got no mention, verbally or with pictures.

I was disappointed that they didn't play Rock Me Baby in tribute to BB King. Maybe they'll do that with Buddy Guy in Milwaukee.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 25, 2015 22:23

Judging from the clips, it was a really rocking, excellent gig. No surprise, of course. They 're excellent last year, in Europe too.

Date: May 25, 2015 22:25

JadedFaded

I was disappointed that they didn't play Rock Me Baby in tribute to BB King. Maybe they'll do that with Buddy Guy in Milwaukee.

It was a really "UP" show. Pretty sure Bobby would have approved. Bobby was missed but Karl did an outstanding job, not only did he give plenty of musical nods to Mr. Keys but his touch was refreshing and welcome, and he was literally beaming the whole night...obviously very happy to be on stage with the Stones.

peace

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: May 25, 2015 22:26

From what I heard from the youtube vids (Moonlight mile and CYHMK), I'm very impressed ! The level has increased. I'm sure the next concerts will give us some good vibes. I think that Keith endless smile says it all.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: May 25, 2015 22:28

Naturalust
JadedFaded

It was a really "UP" show. Pretty sure Bobby would have approved. Bobby was missed but Karl did an outstanding job, not only did he give plenty of musical nods to Mr. Keys but his touch was refreshing and welcome, and he was literally beaming the whole night...obviously very happy to be on stage with the Stones.

peace

I agree that Karl was fantastic. I was glad he got such a good reception.

Posted by: stoneslib ()
Date: May 25, 2015 22:28

I may have salvaged a few decent pics from the upper deck locations by going for screen and stage views. Samples below, plus more linked here:

Petco 2015

Harold

Date: May 25, 2015 22:29

worriedboutyou
I've got a great seat left for the Minneapolis show let me know

do you still have it? ilevene@pacbell.net

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 25, 2015 22:31

DandelionPowderman
CYHMK was great.

Really? From the clip online, it sounds like the guitar solo never took off, then went into the ending early, then kind of went somewhere before ending again.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: May 25, 2015 22:34

DandelionPowderman
S.T.P
crawdaddy
Street Fighting Man from presstoff2000.

Think he's got more to come.

That is the best version of Street Fighting Man I've heard since MT left.

Up there with the Stripped version thumbs up

Fantastic!!! I voted for it!

Date: May 25, 2015 22:36

worriedboutyou
StonedRambler, if your looking for a excellent seat in Minneapolis on the floor section B row 5 get back with me. I'm not scalping it, probably even cut a deal with ya.

I'm interested in the ticket. ilevene@pacbell.net

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1248
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home