Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: ALBUM TALK: Out Of Our Heads UK
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 25, 2015 21:36

I mean, that it's a compilation just as much as the US version is.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: September 18, 2019 02:35

Out Of Our Heads UK - My rating: 6 out of 10

Still a mix of singles and b sides as the UK and US musical shuffle continues.

1. She Said Yeah - Wow, this was a first time listen for me! I absolutely loved hearing the abandon that almost sounds like sloppy garage rock, but the playing is a lot tighter than it initially seems. I can almost hear the seeds of the dirty Stones sound of the '70's coming through. The only thing wrong with this funky little rocker is that it's too short.

2. Mercy, Mercy - The Stones sound strong and bring a lot to this blues song with a poppy feel to it. Not a top tier Stones classic, but a respectable effort that shows their progress as a recording band.

3. Hitch Hike - Never liked this one. To me, this song is much more annoying than enjoyable. Performance is a little sloppy too, and the recording isn't as sharp-sounding as "Mercy Mercy"

4. That's How Strong My Love Is - I vastly prefer the more recent live versions of this song. It's a great tune, but much like "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love" this studio version lacks a spark that would make it essential.

5. Good Times - First time hearing this one! It's not very Stonesy and probably isn't at all essential, but I still thought it was a nice groove that fit the Rolling Stones better than a song like "Under The Boardwalk" but with a similar laidback vibe.

6. Gotta Get Away - I think there are better songs in the Stones songbook, but this one is still good and worthy of a playlist, even if it's not really in the top-tier for me.

7. Talkin' 'Bout You - Hearing this for the first time. I enjoyed Mick's singing, but the song didn't impress me.

8. Cry To Me - Another first time listen. I think the production is a little plain, and the song doesn't have a whole lot to it, but the band and vocal performances lift it all up and gives it a passing grade.

9. Oh, Baby (We Got A Good Thing Going) - This song doesn't hold much appeal for me. I just don't hear anything special in the music or the performance.

10. Heart Of Stone - A powerful Rolling Stones classic, a crashing, furious rock ballad that doesn't sound like anything else. Excellent songwriting, perfect mix of sounds in the band, and Mick's iconic "never break, never break, never break..." is one for the ages. Love that sweet guitar solo, too.

11. The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man - Practically the definition of filler, in my book. I remember enjoying this somewhat back when I was a teenager, but listening to it now, it sounds beyond lazy and cheaply cynical in a very uncool way.

12. I'm Free - Up to this point, the Stones mostly sounded retro or current to the times. "I'm Free" marks one of the first pop songs where they begin to sound ahead of their time. Really fresh and original music here, going beyond the blues and taking some chances that paid off well.

Keepers: She Said Yeah, Mercy Mercy, Good Times, Gotta Get Away, Cry To Me, Heart Of Stone, I'm Free

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-18 14:28 by jahisnotdead.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: September 18, 2019 08:32

I've always loved Charlie's drumming on UAWCPM...especially the crisp little roll that kicks off the song.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 18, 2019 09:21

That's How Strong My Love Is -
this studio version lacks a spark that would make it essential.

eeeerrrr well Mr Jaggs and The Stones are
up against some pretty tough competition ….
O.V.Wrights original and then Otis' cover about a year later ..phew!!

Stones were Friggin' game to take it on at all I say ...… ……..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: September 18, 2019 11:04

Great album nice to play early Stones album all raw.Rock,Blues & soul in best.

Posted by: MrTurner ()
Date: September 18, 2019 12:10

Turner68
it's a very telling cover photo. brian is out front, and yet is he being pushed out? look at mick and keith, clearly very close to one another, and towering over brian. charlie at keith's back, and bill almost completely left out. great photograph.

An interesting analysis of the photo. Did Gered Mankowitz give the composition that much concious thought vis-a-vis the group dynamic? - perhaps he did.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home