Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ALBUM TALK: Out Of Our Heads UK
Date: May 22, 2015 13:47

Out Of Our Heads - UK

Credits
Companies etc
Copyright (c) – The Decca Record Company Limited
Printed By – Robert Stace
Mastered At – Decca Studios
Credits
Arranged By – Rolling Stones, The
Bass – Bill Wyman
Drums – Charlie Watts
Engineer – Dave Hassinger (tracks: A1 to A3, A5 to B4, B6), Ron Malo (tracks: A4, B5)
Guitar – Brian Jones, Keith Richard
Harmonica – Brian Jones, Mick Jagger
Marimba – Ian Stewart
Mastered By [Side A] – A (26)
Mastered By [Side B] – B (3)
Percussion – Charlie Watts, J. W. Alexander, Jack Nitzsche
Photography By – Gerard Mankowitz*
Piano, Organ – Brian Jones, Ian Stewart, Jack Nitzsche
Producer – Andrew Loog Oldham
Vocals – Keith Richard, Mick Jagger
Notes
First Pressing

Recorded in Hollywood and Chicago.
© 1965, The Decca Record Company Limited, London.
[DECCA] Reg. Trade Mark
THE DECCA RECORD COMPANY LTD.. LONDON.
Laminated with 'Clarifoil' made by British Celanese Limited
Printed in England.

She Said Yeah
Mercy, Mercy
Hitch Hike
That's How Strong My Love Is
Good Times
Gotta Get Away
Talkin' 'Bout You
Cry To Me
Oh, Baby (We Got A Good Thing Going)
Heart Of Stone
The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man
I'm Free

What are your thoughts on this album?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-22 15:22 by DandelionPowderman.

Re: ALBUM TALK: Out Of Our Heads UK
Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: May 22, 2015 13:56

I have not listened start to finish in a while. I am going to do that now. Like always I am sure I am going say OOOH is my new favorite album (for about the 10th time).

I remain,
Onlystones

Posted by: ash ()
Date: May 22, 2015 13:56

It's a great album. She Said Yeah is particularly good.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 22, 2015 13:59

it's a very telling cover photo. brian is out front, and yet is he being pushed out? look at mick and keith, clearly very close to one another, and towering over brian. charlie at keith's back, and bill almost completely left out. great photograph.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 22, 2015 14:05

Probably it was essential for the development of the band to play these Rythm & Blues
songs tending towards Soul, but I miss their rocking edge.

Of course I speak from the point of view of a fan that started his fanhood in the early 80s.
It would be interesting to have heard this album before having any knowledge of their
future development. Maybe the album rocked the boat at the time.

But to me, I miss the guitar driven band of the very first albums. Here we are left with
only She Said Yeah (very much indeed), Mercy Mercy and Oh Baby for some rocking and rolling.
I love this threesome. But when it comes to the soul songs, well, you'd have to be in
the mood, I guess. And there's not many times that I am in the mood for songs like
That's how strong my love is, Good Times, Cry to me or Hitch Hike.

The ending of the album is quite a nice revelation of the song writing skills of the
Glimmer Twins though, and it saves the day. Heart of Stone shows they could do a better
job writing songs than copying others. The guitar break is breathtaking and the "never
never never break this heart of stone" breaks my heart all the time. The B-sides are
pleasant enough for repeated listening.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 22, 2015 14:17

DandelionPowderman
Out Of Our Heads - UK

Studios:
UK-Tour März 1965 (live) (Song 6)

The live track isn't on the Uk album. It's on the US album. I assume you want these "album talks" to be for posterity since you are publishing an index to them. Worth getting the facts right.

Date: May 22, 2015 14:27

marcovandereijk
Probably it was essential for the development of the band to play these Rythm & Blues
songs tending towards Soul, but I miss their rocking edge.

Of course I speak from the point of view of a fan that started his fanhood in the early 80s.
It would be interesting to have heard this album before having any knowledge of their
future development. Maybe the album rocked the boat at the time.

But to me, I miss the guitar driven band of the very first albums. Here we are left with
only She Said Yeah (very much indeed), Mercy Mercy and Oh Baby for some rocking and rolling.
I love this threesome. But when it comes to the soul songs, well, you'd have to be in
the mood, I guess. And there's not many times that I am in the mood for songs like
That's how strong my love is, Good Times, Cry to me or Hitch Hike.

The ending of the album is quite a nice revelation of the song writing skills of the
Glimmer Twins though, and it saves the day. Heart of Stone shows they could do a better
job writing songs than copying others. The guitar break is breathtaking and the "never
never never break this heart of stone" breaks my heart all the time. The B-sides are
pleasant enough for repeated listening.

Talkin' Bout You and The Under Assistant West Coast Promo Man both rock and roll for me smiling smiley

Date: May 22, 2015 14:30

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Out Of Our Heads - UK

Studios:

The live track isn't on the Uk album. It's on the US album. I assume you want these "album talks" to be for posterity since you are publishing an index to them. Worth getting the facts right.

Corrected. A little too quick there. Some german slipped into the mix as well smiling smiley

Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: May 22, 2015 14:35

DandelionPowderman
Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Out Of Our Heads - UK

Studios:

Don't let it happen again. People wont think you are a "true fan" if you happen to make an error and misquote or misidentify something.

Corrected. A little too quick there. Some german slipped into the mix as well smiling smiley

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: May 22, 2015 14:36

I loved the album when it was new and will always love it. This was the time I became a real Stones-fan.
Especially for the great covers She Said Yeah, Mercy Mercy, That's How Strong... and Cry To Me. (Even if I didn't had a clue they were covers back then).
Just that type of singing from Mick that I like the most. Mick has always been an great singer. I think you can imagine how unique his singing was at that time, 50 years ago.

Date: May 22, 2015 14:38

onlystones
DandelionPowderman
Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Out Of Our Heads - UK

Studios:

Don't let it happen again. People wont think you are a "true fan" if you happen to make an error and misquote or misidentify something.

People have given me up a long time ago. A lost case...

Date: May 22, 2015 15:03

Thommie
I think you can imagine how unique his singing was at that time, 50 years ago.

Well, that's the part I am having a little difficulty with. I know I am biased because
I have heard the direction the band took from here, before I ever heard this album.
I trust your word for it, that it was groundbreaking at the time.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 22, 2015 15:09

Marvellous album this too of course....I'm Free...jeeze that's Music for the musiclovers...

2 1 2 0

Date: May 22, 2015 15:11

DandelionPowderman
Talkin' Bout You and The Under Assistant West Coast Promo Man both rock and roll for me

Yeah, you're right when it comes to Talkin' Bout You (which I sometimes confuse with
Down Home Girl). That's a good guitar driven song too, that needs to be mentioned.

The Under Assistent West Coat Promotion Man is especially to be liked because of the humor
in it. It's a bit of jamming à la Andrews Blues, with better thought out lyrics. More
blues than rock, if you ask me, but pleasant none the less. I refered to this song as
one of the B-sides, together with I'm free.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 22, 2015 15:12

Phil Spector (Zoom Bass)
That was on "Play With Fire" which is not on the UK version.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 22, 2015 15:13

DandelionPowderman
Out Of Our Heads - UK

Studios:
Chess Studios, Chicago, Illinois, 19. and 11. May 1965 (Song 1, 4, 9)
RCA Studios, Los Angeles, CA, 27. and 30. October 1964 and 02. November 1964 (Song 2)
RCA Studios, Los Angeles, CA, 17. and 18. January 1965 (Song 3, 10)
RCA Studios, Los Angeles, CA, 12. and 13. May 1965 (Song 5, 7, 8, 11, 12)

Musicians:
Mick Jagger (Vocals, Harmonica)
Keith Richards (Vocals, Guitar)
Brian Jones (Guitar, Harmonica, Organ, Pianos, Harpsichords)
Charlie Watts (Drums), Percussion
Bill Wyman (Bass)
Jack Nitzsche (Organ, Pianos, Harpsichords, Percussion)
Ian Stewart (Organ, Pianos, Harpsichords)
Phil Spector (Zoom Bass)

Producer:
Andrew Loog Oldham for Impact Sound

Else:
Cover Photo David Bailey
Engineers Dave Hassinger, Ron Malo, Glyn Johns

She Said Yeah
Mercy, Mercy
Hitch Hike
That's How Strong My Love Is
Good Times
Gotta Get Away
Talkin' 'Bout You
Cry To Me
Oh, Baby (We Got A Good Thing Going)
Heart Of Stone
The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man
I'm Free

What are your thoughts on this album?

I think it is an outstanding album and Mercy Mercy is one of my favourite stones tracks EVER !! hot smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 22, 2015 15:14

One of their best albums. Only "Oh, Baby (We Got A Good Thing Going)" I don't like so much. Also, it proves not only the Stones can take a song from Chuck Berry and make it sound at least as good, or better, but they even can take a song from Otis Redding ("That's How Strong My Love Is" ), and do that. No small feat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-22 15:16 by matxil.

Date: May 22, 2015 15:20

Deltics
Phil Spector (Zoom Bass)
That was on "Play With Fire" which is not on the UK version.

Sorry about the mess up. There were several mistakes there. Should all be corrected now.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: May 22, 2015 15:22

It's a great Album, a little bit like BEGGARS BANQUET:It's not the individual Songs which make it great but the concept. I like it much more than AFTERMATH (heresy, I know,but 'I can't help it, sorry).

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 22, 2015 17:07

One of my all time favorites, at least one of the best albums the Stones ever made beginning with one of the first punk rockers in the history of music, followed by some extraordinary melodic tracks like "Mercy, Mercy" and "Good Times". "Heart of Stone" is one of their best compositions, this version here is slightly different and better than the one on Now! The heavy "Under Westcoast" with a pumping rhythm by Bill and the floating "I'm Free" - timeless music.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: May 22, 2015 17:57

I would never want to be without this album, in my top 5 stones albums

Date: May 23, 2015 17:45

Since the 70s they've played only I'm Free and Heart Of Stone off this album.

OOOH is criminally neglected by the Stones, imo.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: May 23, 2015 17:57

DandelionPowderman

I agree 100% about the criminally neglect. There are several tunes that would be great live. Was lucky enough to catch them do Heart of Stone once and it was the highlight of the show.

Question... I seem to recall that the album version of Under Assistant is a bit different than the single version on the US Satisfaction B-side. Am I remembering this correctly? If so, was it a completely different version or just a different mix? Thanks in advance to anyone who can supply the answer.

Date: May 23, 2015 18:18

josepi
DandelionPowderman

I agree 100% about the criminally neglect. There are several tunes that would be great live. Was lucky enough to catch them do Heart of Stone once and it was the highlight of the show.

Question... I seem to recall that the album version of Under Assistant is a bit different than the single version on the US Satisfaction B-side. Am I remembering this correctly? If so, was it a completely different version or just a different mix? Thanks in advance to anyone who can supply the answer.

Yes, that's correct. It's just an unedited version that runs a little longer (with some funny lyrics, though winking smiley )

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: May 23, 2015 22:01

DandelionPowderman

Hey, DP, didn't they play That's How Strong My Love Is during the Licks Tour?
But I agree about their criminal side. At least when it comes to Cry To Me.I would love to hear that song live 2015.

Date: May 23, 2015 22:17

Thommie
DandelionPowderman

Hey, DP, didn't they play That's How Strong My Love Is during the Licks Tour?
But I agree about their criminal side. At least when it comes to Cry To Me.I would love to hear that song live 2015.

You're right, of course! Heart Of Stone was only played a couple of times on the Licks tour. Love the THSMLI-versions. Love Cry To Me as well.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: May 24, 2015 15:43

josepi

You´ll find it here:
[www.iorr.org]

Date: May 24, 2015 15:45

The a$$-version smiling smiley

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 24, 2015 18:52

My respect for this album has fallen over the years. Firstly, it is just as much a hodge-podge as the US version. Secondly, the album consists of 'lesser' songs to fill it out, because single A-sides weren't allowed. I prefer the US version all the way.

Date: May 24, 2015 19:51

What's hodge-podge besides including Heart Of Stone and Talkin' Bout You?

On the US version you got early songs and live cuts as well.

I agree about the total quality of the US version, though.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2105
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home