Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9
Re: New songs on Radio today - comments here please!
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 23, 2005 01:44

when your buzz wears off you'll realize RJ is not in SMU's league. Just an ordinary filler track.

Posted by: isuseneca ()
Date: July 23, 2005 01:48

Sorry StonesTODE, but you are off, in my opinion.....but to state that is much too severe at this point. Unless of course, you are running your own 900 psychic hotline, then I certainly would be wrong.

Posted by: isuseneca ()
Date: July 23, 2005 01:52

Sorry...meant StonesTod

Date: July 23, 2005 01:55

hey you're the one that's been drinking, dude...

Posted by: stonedINvirginia ()
Date: July 23, 2005 02:02

Damn! Rough Justice is real raw! Definitely not overproduced! Man, were the boys having fun in the studio or what?

Is that a slide? Who's playing it? That shit is cool!

Better than YGMR and I Go Wild due to lack of overproduction. That there is the Stones kickin' ass!

I am psyched for the concerts in Charlottesville and DC....looking to head to Vegas and Miami to escapr the cold, warm my bones, and hear the Stones back on top...and thinking Rough Justice is opening the shows!

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: July 23, 2005 02:25

Evening guys

Rough Justce just rocks your socks off. IMO the best thing since Start Me Up 24 something years ago. This song has just about everything:
Keith intro
Jagger zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz vocals
Ron solo
Charlie beating the hll out of the drumskins

What a rocker. Must be one of the fastest Stones rockers of all time.

Now we have got three songs from the new set, two amazing rockers and a very nice ballad, though typical Jagger thing, but still nice to listen to.

I was very pleased that my fellow VIKING Vilhelm posted the ballad first. That kind of arouse the interest. Yeaaah NEW STONES STUFF after some three years.. ok .. AND then we got the rocker WOOOOOW, blev my speakers into the workshop. Don't know about all them postings so far but I have a gut feeling that the new albuw will ROCK like any of them historical achievements like Sticky Fingers, Exile or Bleed.

As BV said in some bost earlier:

Da Stones.... PLIIIIIIIIS but Rough Justce as the opening song of Boston 21st as I am there. What an tour opening that would besmiling smiley

Jan Richárds
of them
www.stonesvikings.com

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 23, 2005 02:32

Micky1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great new tracks from 'the boys'!!!
> Before listening to them i was especially worried
> by what was said in regards to Streets of Love on
> this board - it's not a bad track. Ok, it's not
> standard stones, but hasn't that always been the
> case - they do occasionally follow trends and it
> depends whether you like that trend. For me SOL
> will sit right in there on the BBCradio2 playlist
> (biggest station in the UK), and that's what
> Virgin want, coverage. I wouldn't be suprised if
> both tracks came out as a double A-side single.

does anyone release "double A sides" anymore???

This is the age of the Cd single. Any vinyl is usually for collectors
>
> Also, just to stir it a little - don't you think
> Rough Justice sounds more like The Black Crowes
> than the Stones?!!!?!

in the Crowes' dreams....

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: July 23, 2005 03:46

Rough justice == pool hall richard meets when the whip comes down.

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: July 23, 2005 03:51

BOTH SONGS ARE GREAT! I've listen to them all night and they get better and better. Don't compare, just enjoy new songs and understand that the Stones are still growing and still producing great stuff. If this was '71 these songs would be rated just like Wild horses and Brown Sugar!

Date: July 23, 2005 03:51

I might as well throw in my two cents as well.I think a lot of people get carried away with the best since '81 talk.I think Rough Justice is better than songs such as Don't Stop & Hold On To Your Hat although, I don't think it is among their best songs since '81.They've released a lot more quality music in that time in my opinion than they get credit for.People say the same thing about every release since Talk Is Cheap.I even read a review of GITDW claiming it was Jagger's best output since Some Girls.It's getting to be ridiculous.It is going to end up being like the sheep that cried bear.If it really happens,it will be hard for people to take that assessment seriously.We have to remember they don't always use their best material to preview an album.Undercover of the Night is one example of when they probably did lead off with the best song but,there are many other examples of when they didn't : Harlem Shuffle,Anybody Seen My Baby?, and Fool To Cry to name a few.If the Stones are so excited about it,they must have a reason to be.I wouldn't be surprised at all if they still have something up their collective sleeve.I like Oh No,Not You Again the most so far.You can't judge a book by the cover but,some of the new titles sound promising.I was skeptical about Streets of Love more than any other rumored song title.I look foward to hearing the rest of them + more.I can think of two possible reasons for these two songs being released first.1)They had them all mapped out from the start trying to create material that would fit in with the music on the radio in 2005.The Stones have always adapted to their surroundings for better or worse.Or 2)They looked at what they had and tried to make a calculation of the market.Having said this,Rough Justice is alright & has some things going for it.There is some good guitar work,drumming,and bass.It's just that as posted before,there isn't much of a song there.I wish they spent more time working on it.It just might be crazy enough to work in today's world of music.3:01 great for radio.There's not a lot of good competition out there.One redeeming quality of the lyrics however is that it seems he is not totally serious this time.Kind of tounge in cheek unlike just about all their other songs in the past about the ladies.Not that there's anything wrong with that.Just because a song has to do with being attracted to women doesn't make it childish.In fact quite the opposite.Children don't give a toss about sex.It's not usually funny either.It is human nature.In this case however,if he were serious it would be over the top.I wonder who he is talking about.There's just not much else there with the lyrics.It's like they say in Maine : You live by the sword,you die by the sword.Hopefully they haven't "died" yet.I don't think so.Hey - loud guitars.Now Streets of Love.I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet but,as much as I hate to say it,the chorus is reminiscent of Let's Work.I'm sure Waking in the Rain and This Place Is Empty will be better ballads.It would have probably been better suited for a movie soundtrack.I wish it would have been used for Alfie (if it was around in any form at the time) and he brought Old Habits Die Hard to the Stones to work up.I think they might have been able to make it(a good song in my opinion) into a great song.This is one objection Keith Richards had to the whole idea of solo projects.Who gets your best stuff and who gets your second best stuff?I am glad now more than ever that they cut 18 tracks.The Stones have been called many things but stupid & devoid of talent aren't among them.I still have a lot of reason to believe we will get some solid material over here.

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: July 23, 2005 04:04

isuseneca:
Your post rock. I'm born on the same year as da Stones. I just beat them with some six months. So, for me da Stones has been there for ever. Well, this means that I have to look upon myself sa a little bit older fan..
But what you said that stuff like SMU is still plaid in pubs and still get young folks (you gals and boys) to move is the very essential thing about them Stones. The Stones music is not about age, it's not about what they did in the 60's 70's 80's and so on. The thing we got today, a very nice ballad and a outstanding rocker that has just about everything that the Stones is all about, just proves why we all love this band. Guys and dolls out there that don't understand da fuzz about RJ, well .... why do you visit this site, why did ya buy tickets at F****NG high prices? Why do you listen to yar old CD or even older LP's?
RJ is the best thing that them Stones put together since Star Me Up.

Jan Richards
of them
www.stonesvikings.com
see ya in Boston at our Tea Party at 3 a clocksmiling smiley

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: July 23, 2005 04:06

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-22 04:42 by cirrhosis.

Date: July 23, 2005 04:07

And listen to Charlie - he's great man! He plays his drums as hes was a 17 year old boy with guts and a feel that anyone could envy! Aaaah, Charlie is good tonight!

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: July 23, 2005 04:08

SOL...sounds like an outtake from Alfie...as the 1st single, Mick won't be gathering new fans in the 15-20 yr old range.

RJ...it's no Rip This Joint, or SMU...live on stage it'll sound great.

Honestly, I can see RJ being played as the 4th song in the setlist. What I really question is how "fresh" are these new tunes? Overall, I think the new album will be mediocore, with 4 good tunes on it.

Date: July 23, 2005 04:13

What the @#$%& is wrong with Mick's solo stuff? I don't get it.... He developes, that's all. Thank God they're not like AC/DC or Rod Stewart or Aerosmith... same same same..... This is what Stones are all about - they change and make something new everytime.... If you want the Stones to make songs like they did in 71/72 - listen to Sticky and Exile and stay in the past..... Too bad for you, suckers!

Date: July 23, 2005 04:20

I buy the tickets,cds,& dvds because I like most of their songs.Don't get me wrong RJ is alright,I just don't think it is an example of the Stones putting their best foot foward or giving their best effort.I'm exited about ONNYA & the rest of the album and tour.It probably didn't help that I read some of the early posts on this thread and was expecting an instant classic before I ever heard it.Even the girl on the radio was talking it up before she played it - then I heard the loud guitars - then it was a little bit of a let down.Like I said,I think we're in for some good songs.

Re: New single on Radio today
Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: July 23, 2005 04:39

stonesviking.com has three songs, Streets of Love, Oh No not you again and Rough Justice - all awesome!

Date: July 23, 2005 04:44

Jagger's solo stuff is fine but,in general,it just doesn't have the trademark sound of just about any Rolling Stones album including '83-'97.A lot of Jagger's work is more pop like - missing the bruising rythms & other ingredients of a RS album.Very much like RJ which is pretty much the opposite of SOL.In my opinion they could both use better lyrics but, that is not the only thing SOL could use.This is why Jagger and Richards compliment each other so well.Richards' albums are missing exactly what Jagger brings & Jagger's songs are missing what Richards has always brought,just not in the case of SOL for some unknown reason.It will be pretty darn wierd to see a Jagger/Richards songwriting credit on that one.

Date: July 23, 2005 04:47

Wait a minute.It's not a studio version of ONNYA,is it?

Date: July 23, 2005 05:05

Interesting post, Thief.

I'll be honest - I listened to both trax again tonite - I'm actually growing a dislike (as opposed to my earlier non-reaction) for RJ. It's absolutely nothing but a tuneless/riffless rocker with a rote solo and a throwaway lyrice. Just 'cos it rocks don't make it good.

And, I actually was hoping SOL would grow on me a little - turns out I actually HATE the song more than I realized.

I'm sure there will be a few decent songs on the album, but these aren't among them.

I realize some of you say you like these. Not trying to rain on your parade. Glad you enjoy them. Wish I could join you....

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: July 23, 2005 05:26

i have just heard the 2 new songs i like them
i hope the rolling stones come to china to give us another taste

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: July 23, 2005 06:33

Not bad songs. Let's face it, these guys have been writing rock n roll songs so long, they definitely have the craft. It's all very listenable, and consumable (I'll buy the disc the day it comes out), but to me I just don't don't think the guys really feel it any more. The spirit, the attitude, it's just not quite there. Great songwriters, these guys, I mean they are the definition of rock music. But I think the piss and the vinegar are missing.

You "Old World" folks should check out Iggy Pop this summer. Touring all over Europe, I believe. He's nowhere near the songwriter of Jagger/Richards, but the last time I saw him he definitely still had the rock in him. Check him out.

Karl

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 23, 2005 08:07

StonesTod Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> okay but I'm not sure how you infer that by
> listening to the song.

They just sound like they don't give a damn about anyone's opinion. That's always great.

SJS: Not on drugs mate. I'm on the Stones though. That's the same.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: KillRill ()
Date: July 23, 2005 10:17

the more I listen to the new songs the more I like them.
SOL is no Adams or Aerosmith ballad. Listen to the sound, it's not sweet, it's
raw. I love the guitars and Jagger's voice, the song really grew on me.
RJ is a cool rocker, but IMHO ONNYA is the best one I've heard from the new album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-23 10:20 by KillRill.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 23, 2005 10:31

Isuseneca (hope I spelt it right) also has a good point. The people I'm going to the show with are 55, 57, 33 & 26 (I'm in the middle somewhere). I detest Aerosmith's latter day (Geffen era on) ballads & certainly Bryan Adams, tho he's a harmless sort, because they're false. The lyrics to SOL may be conventional pop/rock song subject matter, but they don't seem overblown. I like Alfie in a minor sort of way, not to mention Wandering Spirit (A), Goddess (B, but that neutral grade doesnt convey the wide variance in quality throughout the album, at its worst trying to get Santana style superstar guest cachet), She's the Boss (B, decent funk/pop album, good band), & perhaps 5 - 10 minutes of Primitive Cool (C plus)

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 23, 2005 11:06

"...Don't you think SOL sounds more like Brian Adams than the Rolling Stones?.."

....I think Street of shit sound like the worst reject of the worst jagger's solo album.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 23, 2005 12:45

Alright, this thread is long like the list of the loans of Africa, but I add my impressions of the new songs here (thanks STONESVIKINGS for that).

I listened the songs maybe five times yesterday and gave them a new listening this morning to get some fresh perspective. And let me first (this is going to be a long review) say the over-impression now: both songs seem to grown on me, and that's a good sign. There is absolutely nothing new under the sun, but I think that is just a good sign. Do we really wanted hear something 'totally different' in this stage of the Stones? No. They just sound so goddamn like themselves, and I love it!

----

"Street Of Love": like many here I was also disappointed when I hear it first time; the melody of the verses sounded so forced, many time heard before and such a cheap one; Jagger doing all his tricks he is known since Primitive Cool. The chorus sounded too poppish and easy listening, and I don't need to even mention the lyrical content... But shit, after a few listenings the melody seemed to stick in my mind, started to feel natural and flowing, and the hook of the hahahaa chorus have a sort of magnetism as "Miss You" once had. I can easily understand why this radio-friendly song is going to be the first single. Will it be a hit, that's difficult to say. The quality of the song does not really matter; if the Stones would make "Satisfaction" now, it probably will make #73 at its highest.

After closer hearing, I don't like the comparisions to Brian Adams or Aerosmith I've seen here; namely the song has the rough, signature touch of the Stones: just listen the insecure but ah so human guitar behind Jagger in the first verse - with all its sloppiness it sounds like coming from the cellar. I love that - Well, the solo is perhaps too "clean", and that typical trick of adding keyboard to the mix in the final part of the song, will make it too San Remo or something - typical Jaggerian idea of production ("back to 80's-Goddess-thing"). Good that they the producers keep their heads cool and not destroyed the song with over-production a'la Goddess.

Over all the nature and the feeling of the song is in fact very old; it goes all the way back to lyricism of Goat's Head Soap (hinted maybe in "Moonlight Mile"). Perhaps the freshness of "Angie" and "Winter" (listen the lyrics and the goddamn violin background!!!) have long since gone, but the same sentimental - starting from lyrics - are certainly here. And that is something I can not resist.

---

"Rough Justice": First impression was naturally the intro: to make it sound "rough"..hmm... is this sort of over-exaggaration? Okay, I got the point: that's Keef making the message clear that's is The Keith "Mr. Rock&roll-Pirate Richards" here playin' for ya... The sound is a cliche as his publig image. All this is heard so many times before, but once again: who can not resist? Not me at least.

But of the whole song: after few listenings I feel a nice reminscant of the wild weaving years from Some Girls to Tattoo You (or Undercover). The groove and the production just reminds me so much about "Lies", "When The Whip Comes Down", "Summer Romance"... although there are some forced elements and pieces of "Hold On Your Hat" and "You Got Me Rocking" there - you know, that post-Dirty Work stuff that 'rock' but don't 'roll'.. Mostly it has to do with Charlie, but that wild, tasty 'here and there' mixed guitars plus the absolutely brilliant sounding, decadent, nicely shouted chorus just makes it for me - That's 'my' Stones .. only Bill is missing... But certainly not there isn't any single or radio-friendly potentiality here. It's just for us who love the sound of the band as it is (a'la Some Girls, or even, Exile).

A minor remark: I really like the biographical reference to "Little Red Rooster" in its lyrics. That's sort of witty Jaggerism I love (like "used to love to Honky tonk...")

(I listened also "OH No Not You Again" again from Stonesvikings.com this morning, but I will not make any a review before hearing the finished version. But I can say that there are some very good elements there to make it a great cut, it has the needed edge and some nice hooks, even though it's very typical "Highwire" sort of standard Stones rocker, but once again: who cares..)

- Doxa

P.S. If they will include the controversial "Neo-Con" to the album, I think we will have a nice a swang song in our hands soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-23 13:03 by Doxa.

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: July 23, 2005 13:50

Just curious - what are the reactions to the new songs.... I mean, what are the comments on the radio stations / news / DJ's.... ??

Have you guys seen or heard any reaction..... ??

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: July 23, 2005 14:14

Oh, come on you GRUMPY OLD MEN! Have some red wine, fall in love, get some excitement into your lives... So, Streets of Love is NOT "Wild Horses" - but how often does a song like THAT come along??? Once every 4o years. Or not quite as often as that. If you're going to compare every tune they release to Wild Horses, well - that's unfair. Unfair to yourselves, to the Stones, to us all. Music is joy! Listen to the song a few more times, pour a glass of cabernet, crawl into the arms of someone NICE, and VOILA! It grows on you. No reason to sit around being depressed, sounding like Maverick or other grumpy creatures. It's the STONES, for Christ's/Devil's sake! I love them. (And I do like GOddess. Not every Jagger-album, but this one!) Kisses, SKÅL! Have some wine, wind down and relax boys. Cause music, it's joy, right?!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 23, 2005 15:18

cool reviews, Doxa - thanks. and Shidoobee:

>> music, it's joy, right? <<

~*YEAH!*~

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-23 15:18 by with sssoul.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1283
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home